PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation needed for a good sports or sports touring tyre

Motoracer
26th May 2012, 22:01
Hi there,

I just bought a CB900 Hornet and I need to get a set of new tires for it. I was thinking of the following:

Mich Pilot Power 2CT
Mich Pilot Road 3 2CT
Metz sporttec M3
Metz Roadtec Z8
Bridg S20

I would like to commute a bit on the bike and maybe later on do some long distance tours. So getting at least 6000+km from the rear would be quite good. At the same time, i would like something that is predictable and has enough cornering grip for a little bit of knee down action.

What do you guys recommend and where would be the best place to get the best deals around Auckland area for a set?

Cheers!

AllanB
26th May 2012, 22:12
From personal Horny 900 experience.

Pilot Road 2 are excellent and last well -got 12 k out of mine.

Tried a set of Pilot Powers but I was not keen on the front profile - just a personal preference.

I've a set of Continental Road Attack 2's on now - only done just over 1200 kms on them. I rate them as the best tyre I've had on the 900 so far relating to grip and 'feel'. Time will tell. Personal preference of course - I like a netrual tyre for steering input. I'd rate the Cont's at the sporty end of sport touring. I do not expect them to last as long as the Pilot Road 2.

mossy1200
26th May 2012, 22:14
Conti Sport Attack II
2cts are good but I wont be changing from the new generation conti for a while.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/148079-Conti-Sport-Attack-II-Review?highlight=conti+sport+attack

Gremlin
26th May 2012, 22:55
You know as well as anyone, that tyre choice is extremely subjective.

That said, I've really enjoyed Michelin Pilot Roads. The Road 2 I think lasts longer than the Road 3, but the Road 3 has unsurpassed grip in the wet. The Road 2 is a much more neutral tyre, the Road 3 has a more sporty profile. As for mileage, my last front Road 2 lasted 24,000km, the current rear is probably closing in on 18,000km. However, this is commuting only, as I use my BMW for country riding.

'Treads has excellent deals.

caspernz
27th May 2012, 14:21
By what you've said on intended use, a sport touring tyre is the go. Pilot Road 3 is my preferred choice for that, but nothing wrong with Pilot Road 2 either, as Gremlin mentioned.

The Metzeler Z8 is on my radar as a choice to try, just so I don't become one-eyed on Michelin...

I doubt you'd be disappointed with either the Z8 or a PR3.

vifferman
31st May 2012, 21:52
VFRs go well on the Michelins, so I'd imagine the Hornetteo would be similar. I'm running a Pilot Power front and Pilot Road 2 rear - best tyres I've ever used.

Harry the Barstard
31st May 2012, 22:45
Good advice from Gremlin and Caspernz there mate,

I had road 2's on my CB900 and now have 3's on my CB1300. Both are fine, but agree with Gremlin with regard to the 3's performance in the wet.

Cycletreads will be having a queens birthday deal on this weekend. I got my Road 3 front and rear fitted for under $500 (i think) on a boxing day special.

Should be an ok weekend to scrub em in too.

Akzle
1st June 2012, 14:19
yeah i won't argue either. the 2cts are dual compound, steel belt, bias ply. i think...?
thems my favourite specs for a tyre. (i'm currently on battlaxs)
dual compoud means you wear tyres more evenly if you do commute weekly and blat on weekends
steel belts keep/disperse heat through tyre which makes for good sticky and stop/start touring,
bias ply tends to wear slightly quicker but is more durable in terms of shit hammering your sidewall and puncture repairs.

no experience with metzlers, but when i was last looking at tyres it came down to the battlaxs and the pilots, battlaxs won because they had a matching set that would fit my odd rim sizes ><

Motoracer
1st June 2012, 18:07
Hey guys, thanks for the great advices. I will have a good think about it and look at cycle treads.

Cheers!

Gremlin
1st June 2012, 21:03
Hey guys, thanks for the great advices. I will have a good think about it and look at cycle treads.
There is a sale on Monday as well...

Spuds1234
1st June 2012, 21:57
There is a sale on Monday as well...

I can second the Pilot Road 2. 26000km on my 650 and they still had a bit left in them (both front and rear). Great tyres that will go the distance (literally).

slofox
1st June 2012, 22:04
I used Pilot Road 2's on my SV650 when I had it. Pretty good tyre - 14000km per set. Excellent grip all round and very good wear. Haven't tried PR3's.

Corse1
1st June 2012, 22:07
I ave a set of M3's on the way but I have only experienced PR2's from your list and they were awsome tyres. Cant go wrong with them I reckon

White trash
2nd June 2012, 07:55
Mr Racer, I'll get my boys to work out some pricing for ya and PM it through.

Yo9u know how I ride, I know how you ride, Bridgestone S20 impressed the SHIT outta me on the GSXR1000 L2. Unsure of the total mileage but they're still looking frsh after 1000km.

Motoracer
2nd June 2012, 23:03
Mr. Trash, that would be awesome if you could hook me up with a deal! :-)

GrayWolf
6th June 2012, 13:35
I'm running a set of the 'new' Bridgestone dual compound sport/tour BT023, on a 260+kg wet bike and a 105kg rider; and have the bloody 'Nui hill' to ride every day. I managed to scrape the pegs both sides over the Nelson hill last weekend, and ground the stand in the Queen Charlotte drive, road to Picton. WT rode the shop bike of what I have and will know they are leant over a fair distance to grind the pegs. BT023's were also purchased from his works. Last set of tyres the rear lasted 6k, these look to surpass that a fair bit.

JayRacer37
22nd June 2012, 12:48
Hey Sudeep,

Give the Bridgestone S20 a go - wicked reviews world wide (independently) and the guys running them so far in NZ love them. Perfect for what you are trying to achieve with wet grip and longevity, but still a suprising amount of outright grip and they cope very well with all conditions and tempratures. Also, Trashy's price would no doubt be pretty good...

Be interested to hear what you go for in the end!

Cheers,
Jay Lawrence

onearmedbandit
22nd June 2012, 16:03
+2 for the S20's.

Motoracer
23rd June 2012, 10:36
Hmmm.. All the cool kids seem to be saying S20s. I was thinking more along the lines of Mich Road 3 but S20s could be the go.

Thanks everyone again for the advice! Really appreciate it :-)

Motoracer
29th July 2012, 13:01
I got the S20. Thanks Jimmy. Had a run down SH22 yesterday and that was pretty cool. Scraped foot pegs both sides and the tires showed no signs of sliding, so very good for sports/street tires. Thats apart from the big scare I had as I slid across a gravel patch mid-corner but I cant blame bridgstone for that.

Thanks for the advices etc.

swbarnett
10th January 2013, 21:47
I got the S20.
Can I ask what mileage you got out of them?

scracha
15th January 2013, 18:32
Maybe it's just my bike but I actually prefer the much cheaper Shinko Verge's I fitted to the TDM than the decentish BT023's I had previously. Very stable, good turn in and they even slide gracefully. BT020's are wooden shite with no rider feedback IMHO.

JayRacer37
16th January 2013, 12:49
Maybe it's just my bike but I actually prefer the much cheaper Shinko Verge's I fitted to the TDM than the decentish BT023's I had previously. Very stable, good turn in and they even slide gracefully. BT020's are wooden shite with no rider feedback IMHO.

It's just your bike Scracha! ;) The BT020 feedback is consistent with what I have been told about them, but that is a well out of date tyre now and Bridgestones setup has changed. The Shinko's are actually a very good, underrated tyre. The trade off generally is wet grip for price in that category, but the Shinkos are a good budget conscious option. The BT023 has been a very popular tyre, but there is a new Sport Touring tyre to replace it - Bridgestone Battlax T30 - due in at the end of February. Looking forward to seeing how it is received!

Jay

guzzi_moto
31st March 2013, 17:13
It's just your bike Scracha! ;) The BT020 feedback is consistent with what I have been told about them, but that is a well out of date tyre now and Bridgestones setup has changed. The Shinko's are actually a very good, underrated tyre. The trade off generally is wet grip for price in that category, but the Shinkos are a good budget conscious option. The BT023 has been a very popular tyre, but there is a new Sport Touring tyre to replace it - Bridgestone Battlax T30 - due in at the end of February. Looking forward to seeing how it is received!

Jay

How much for a pair of T30 then? will the deals be as sharp as the s20 deals?
I have a guzzi with 120/70/17 front and 160/60/18 rear, so no S20 fitment available but the T30 does have the 18" rear that I require.

thanks
Dennis

Akzle
31st March 2013, 18:04
it would be awesome too, if i could be hooked up with a tyre deal. tyres, preferably with a bike attached.

Laava
31st March 2013, 20:16
it would be awesome too, if i could be hooked up with a tyre deal. tyres, preferably with a bike attached.

I can sell you a pair of brand new Dunlop Arrowmax tyres for 4k. They have a complimentary gsxr attached

Akzle
1st April 2013, 07:26
I can sell you a pair of brand new Dunlop Arrowmax tyres for 4k. They have a complimentary gsxr attached

that's about 4k over my budget. (do you have any idea how much crack i would have to sell?)
still trying to get rid of the red thing then eh?

Laava
1st April 2013, 09:29
I will be now i have time to get it ready.

JayRacer37
2nd April 2013, 09:19
I have a guzzi with 120/70/17 front and 160/60/18 rear, so no S20 fitment available but the T30 does have the 18" rear that I require.

thanks
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

As we are the wholesaler I'm not able to quote you a direct price I am sorry - based on your location the stockists closest to you would be Boyd Motorcycles and Honda Hamilton, so would be well worth a call for a quote.

That rear size wasn't made available from Bridgestone in the first release (they build the 'main' sizes to start and release the others when they have filled first demand) however we have that 18" rear due to land in the country mid-May.

Cheers,
Jay

Maha
2nd April 2013, 15:00

thanks
Dennis

As a guide...I got 120/70-17 180/55-17 T30's fitted for $550.

Banditbandit
3rd April 2013, 13:49
Conti Sport Attack II
2cts are good but I wont be changing from the new generation conti for a while.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/148079-Conti-Sport-Attack-II-Review?highlight=conti+sport+attack

Yeah - I'd go with these - I have Contis on my 650 Bandit and my 1250 Bandit. They are a great tyre - heaps of grip, last well and don't break the bank ..

I've run PR2s, Bridgestones and Pirrelli Diablos - I prefer the Contis over them ...

kiwi cowboy
28th April 2013, 01:15
Hi Dennis,

As we are the wholesaler I'm not able to quote you a direct price I am sorry - based on your location the stockists closest to you would be Boyd Motorcycles and Honda Hamilton, so would be well worth a call for a quote.

That rear size wasn't made available from Bridgestone in the first release (they build the 'main' sizes to start and release the others when they have filled first demand) however we have that 18" rear due to land in the country mid-May.

Cheers,
Jay

having a fzr750 im wanting to race with an 18 inch rear if they come in the 160-60 let me know please as i would be keen to try one on the rear with possibly a r10 with warmer on front? what ya think or am i better to have front rear the same?.

JayRacer37
28th April 2013, 18:50
having a fzr750 im wanting to race with an 18 inch rear if they come in the 160-60 let me know please as i would be keen to try one on the rear with possibly a r10 with warmer on front? what ya think or am i better to have front rear the same?.

There are very few combo's that include an 18" rear unfortunately, particularly for race use. Up until a few months ago, Bridgestone made an 18" rear slick and wet, but sadly these are no longer produced.

We now have the BT090 'SS' race tyre in a 160/60-18, this can be paired with a slick, R10 or BT003-RS front tyre quite happily. The BT090 'SS' is a full race DOT approved treaded tyre, so the closest match is the R10. Warmers would be preferable both front and rear for race use, although with patience whilst they are cold would be OK without warmers. Rcktfsh (I think that is his name on here) is using the BT090 rear with a slick front on his FZR600 using an 18" rear.

kiwi cowboy
28th April 2013, 23:38
There are very few combo's that include an 18" rear unfortunately, particularly for race use. Up until a few months ago, Bridgestone made an 18" rear slick and wet, but sadly these are no longer produced.

We now have the BT090 'SS' race tyre in a 160/60-18, this can be paired with a slick, R10 or BT003-RS front tyre quite happily. The BT090 'SS' is a full race DOT approved treaded tyre, so the closest match is the R10. Warmers would be preferable both front and rear for race use, although with patience whilst they are cold would be OK without warmers. Rcktfsh (I think that is his name on here) is using the BT090 rear with a slick front on his FZR600 using an 18" rear.

Cheers for that.
never heard of the 090 "ss" but will inquire.
So for a fzr750 the r10 with warmer which i have would be best with the 090 rear?.
Are 18 inch warmers available do you know or i could use my 17 in a pinch.

JayRacer37
29th April 2013, 17:06
Cheers for that.
never heard of the 090 "ss" but will inquire.
So for a fzr750 the r10 with warmer which i have would be best with the 090 rear?.
Are 18 inch warmers available do you know or i could use my 17 in a pinch.

Good afternoon,

Yes I think the R10 fromt and the BT090 SS rear would be the best combo for your application. I think you will find the 17" warmer will be very close to working on the 18" - as far as I am aware there is not a specific 18" warmer available.

kiwi cowboy
29th April 2013, 19:02
Good afternoon,

Yes I think the R10 fromt and the BT090 SS rear would be the best combo for your application. I think you will find the 17" warmer will be very close to working on the 18" - as far as I am aware there is not a specific 18" warmer available.

Hi jay,
was just looking on cycletreads website and they dont list a 090"ss" or pro just a 090.
Are these the tire's or are there 2 different tires a 090 and 090 pro.
just want to be sure before i order one.

JayRacer37
2nd May 2013, 09:34
Hi jay,
was just looking on cycletreads website and they dont list a 090"ss" or pro just a 090.
Are these the tire's or are there 2 different tires a 090 and 090 pro.
just want to be sure before i order one.

Sorry, I didn't spot this post earlier. We import only one version of the BT090, I think a number of years ago there were two versions however now there is only one, which is the 'SS/PRO' version.