PDA

View Full Version : DRZ farkles

Andy67
28th May 2012, 20:30
Spent last Sunday on the bikes , both of them. Did the IAM thing in the morning and did my first ride as an observer...while being observed observing if that makes any sense.. Anyway got home and went for a spin on the DRZ. Practised jumps and wheelies in some vacant industrial land. Awesome fun.

Anyway. I want to farkle. In order:

Gas tank, 17 litres ie 300 km range.
Rear rack, not interested in panniers anymore, going the drybag route and I will only need to carry a 20 litre one max. With bungy.
Bash plate
Exhaust, not urgent, worth it ? Silencer only or full system ? Rejet ?

What suggestions, how much and where from.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Shewolf
28th May 2012, 21:04
what a shame this thread has a Z in it, ah well... :corn:

Andy67
28th May 2012, 21:17
what a shame this thread has a Z in it, ah well... :corn:

It's the Z that makes it so zesty...I just need to add some minty freshness, any help for the gravel noob appreciated

Box of riddles
28th May 2012, 21:26
I can recommend the MRD/SSW pipe from the states, it sounds gorgeous and gives it a bit more of a kick too.

Andy67
28th May 2012, 21:44
Thanks looks good and not an outrageous price.

dino3310
28th May 2012, 21:54
i made a home made rack and use the 25 tote bag on the back of the XR, big enough for over nighters semi water proof strong and only $50 and small enough not to make it top heavy
http://www.kiwicamping.co.nz/kiwi_camping.cfm?product_id=1304&page_obj_id=121&prod_cat_id=195&prodlist=1304

dmoo1790
28th May 2012, 22:13
Tank: Safari in Aus. Expensive though. ~$600 from memory. Downside of big tanks is they are wider than stock which you may or may not find annoying.
Bash plate: B&B also in Aus. ~$180. Bulletproof. Got one for the 690 after having one on the DRZ.

Andy67
28th May 2012, 22:21
Thanks all and keep the ideas coming. Dmoo still haven't forgiven you for selling all the bits I want....

Andy67
30th May 2012, 07:27
Ok the list is looking like this:

Moose racing carbon bash plate

Either IMF 15 litre or safari 17 litre. Former is cheaper and locally sourced. Impressed by safari service, immediate response to enquiry AUD 500 ish delivered.

Acerbis tail tidy

Rack is undecided

Pro circuit t4 slip on.

Will update.

Padmei
30th May 2012, 07:53
Only issue I have with the safari is that it is hard to grip with the knees on steep uphills. Have you got TT case savers on the list? Also you may want to file down the sharp edge inside of the clutch pedal as it has been known to root the sidecase.

Andy67
30th May 2012, 11:07
Only issue I have with the safari is that it is hard to grip with the knees on steep uphills. Have you got TT case savers on the list? Also you may want to file down the sharp edge inside of the clutch pedal as it has been known to root the sidecase.

Thanks mate yes I do have case savers and thanks fr the tip about clutch lever.

dmoo1790
30th May 2012, 12:06
I think Padmei meant the gear _lever_, not the clutch lever. Done already. It's a well known gotcha on the DRZ. Nice sharp, blade-like corner on the inside of the lever just waiting to punch through the case if the lever gets pushed in on a left side crash. Hmm. Must check the lever on the 690...

dmoo1790
30th May 2012, 12:10
If the IMF (IMS?) is slimmer than the Safari I would definitely go for it. The Safari was ok but after a while the leg spreading width got to be more and more annoying.

SVboy
30th May 2012, 12:32
I put a TT MCCT on my sm the other day. Lots of threads saying the oem one stretches the chain. Braided front brake line=Hel on mine.

Andy67
30th May 2012, 12:42
I think Padmei meant the gear _lever_, not the clutch lever. Done already. It's a well known gotcha on the DRZ. Nice sharp, blade-like corner on the inside of the lever just waiting to punch through the case if the lever gets pushed in on a left side crash. Hmm. Must check the lever on the 690...

Good man and thanks for taking care of that !!!!

Yes IMS tank is what I meant and have ordered everything this morning, will get fitted up late next week once the tank arrives. should give me around 270 Km range which will be plenty for what I want. Good price too.

Btw I refitted the snorkel insert and the bike seems to run better at the top of its range. Will probably just keep it that way.

Andy67
30th May 2012, 14:02
i made a home made rack and use the 25 tote bag on the back of the XR, big enough for over nighters semi water proof strong and only $50 and small enough not to make it top heavy
http://www.kiwicamping.co.nz/kiwi_camping.cfm?product_id=1304&page_obj_id=121&prod_cat_id=195&prodlist=1304

Cheers Dino, that looks pretty much the same sort of concept I am aiming for, the whole bike in fact but yellow....

dino3310
30th May 2012, 17:08
sux on the big trips when you want to carry more but seen how most our trips are over nighters or day rides it suits:2thumbsup

"cave weta" makes a good bag like the giant loop which would be a goodie for longer trips and a lot cheaper than over seas brands

Andy67
30th May 2012, 17:13
sux on the big trips when you want to carry more but seen how most our trips are over nighters or day rides it suits:2thumbsup

"cave weta" makes a good bag like the giant loop which would be a goodie for longer trips and a lot cheaper than over seas brands

Yeah I reckon overnighters will be max for me for the interim. I still have dmoos rack which has space for lots of gear, just it's a bit overkill for what I will need mainly. Thanks for the heads up

Andy67
15th June 2012, 08:08
All done,

Bike looks pretty trick and new pipe sounds fantastic. Rode home yesterday wearing a business suit. Sure got a few looks rumbling ip Albert street. Post pix etc up soon, bring on the weekend.

Andy

Blackbird
15th June 2012, 08:44
The big Beemer relegated to the shed then, Andy? :bleh:

Andy67
16th June 2012, 16:23
The big Beemer relegated to the shed then, Andy? :bleh:

Haha I rode it the other day 6kms........is a bit neglected, will sort that soon enough.