PDA

View Full Version : 1988 honda cbr 250 mc19 problem

Mplant
29th May 2012, 19:12
Hi guys!
I've Got a 1988 Honda CBR 250 mc 19 and it stopped running.
The story:
When the bike idles it is a bit irregular between 1,5 and 2,0. And this morning when it idled and been fed some gas the revs went up to 2.0 and lagged with a bit of a deep sound and then the revs went up further like normal. Then this evening on the motorway I lost all power. Shifting down didn't work and after a short period on the side of the road it started up again and seemed to have trouble to keep it running the idle dropped below 1.0 . Then back into town while comming up on a crossing the engine died again. I had to walk it back home. It now only starts with choke on and there seems to be a ticking noise comming from the engine. I can't rev it up because it will die.

My conclusion is that its running rich and floods? But I don't know if it makes sense.. what are your thoughts?

Fast Eddie
29th May 2012, 19:31
duplicate post.. f&ckn internet

Fast Eddie
29th May 2012, 19:32
Hi guys!
I've Got a 1988 Honda CBR 250 mc 19 and it stopped running.
The story:
When the bike idles it is a bit irregular between 1,5 and 2,0. And this morning when it idled and been fed some gas the revs went up to 2.0 and lagged with a bit of a deep sound and then the revs went up further like normal. Then this evening on the motorway I lost all power. Shifting down didn't work and after a short period on the side of the road it started up again and seemed to have trouble to keep it running the idle dropped below 1.0 . Then back into town while comming up on a crossing the engine died again. I had to walk it back home. It now only starts with choke on and there seems to be a ticking noise comming from the engine. I can't rev it up because it will die.

My conclusion is that its running rich and floods? But I don't know if it makes sense.. what are your thoughts?

probably the opposite could be starving of gas. (could be anything.. easier to troubleshoot if ur with the bike itself haha)

I had a few of these which had fuel flow problems from rusty tanks and blocked fuel taps and tanks etc and read a few problems so worth a look at the fuel tank outlet, the fuel tap itself and any fuel lines n shit.. but heaps to look at, check its getting fuel first and lots of it. then u can go checking if its getting enough air and spark and etc

good luck, don't rule anything out until you have actually checked it eh, air filter, spark plugs, fuel flow etc.

when one of mine was cutting out due to a blocked up fuel tank, it would run for like 20 minutes sometimes but eventually it would start to starve and die, ud leave it for a while to slowly drip more fuel into the carbs and lines and then it would run for a bit more..

anyway, good luck

ducatilover
29th May 2012, 20:15
Check/clean the contacts for the fuel pump.
Check/clean the fuel filter
Check for rust in the tank
Drain the carbs, clean the carbs.
Check for any perished rubber hoses on the intake
Check for splits and air leaks around the intake rubbers
Check the air filter is still seated.
Check the connections to the coils.

Might be a good start :msn-wink:

Mplant
29th May 2012, 20:33
She is alive-ish. Does start but just does not want to idle. With a bit of gas she does run and revs up.

ducatilover
29th May 2012, 20:40
Same applies.
Could be an air leak, poor fuel supply, poor spark or blocked jets.

Fast Eddie
29th May 2012, 21:02
She is alive-ish. Does start but just does not want to idle. With a bit of gas she does run and revs up.

lol.. still go through and check everything. no doubt u have blockages or dirt somewhere.. its obviously not running right ;)

my rs250 had bits of metal floating round and broken pistons and it still ran...

rip into it, hope u have a good socket set and rags :D

tigertim20
29th May 2012, 22:00
as DL and fasteddie have said, do a few checks.
take the tank off and whip the carbs off and give them a clean, a simple job, doesnt take long and you only need basic tools.
while the tank is off, whip the plugs out and wind her over to make sure you have regular spark at all plugs - by your description it could be electrics breaking down, or more likely, starved of gas, which probably means it needs carbs cleaned out

Mplant
29th May 2012, 22:35
Hi all! Many thanks for all the tips!
At the moment it seems like my idle screw got undone somehow. But I can't get it in without taking the tank off. At the moment I don't have the right tools for it. So tomorrow ill do some shopping and I'll probebly clean the carbs any way. It was idleing a bit irregular. May be it sorts that out as well.

SMOKEU
29th May 2012, 22:40
I used to have one of those, 18,000RPM redline.The VTEC kicked in real hard, yo.

Mplant
30th May 2012, 09:31
I've read the materials (bike service manual and several posts on forums aswel as the youtube vids). And just wondered is there a special carb cleaner for motorcycles or will the crc carb r clean from super cheap auto do? Or just clean the parts with clean fuel? (yes i'm a noob mechanic:baby:) What would/do you use?

jasonu
30th May 2012, 14:27
check/clean the contacts for the fuel pump.
Check/clean the fuel filter
check for rust in the tank
drain the carbs, clean the carbs.
Check for any perished rubber hoses on the intake
check for splits and air leaks around the intake rubbers
check the air filter is still seated.
Check the connections to the coils.

Might be a good start :msn-wink:

check the gas cap is properly venting

Asher
30th May 2012, 14:38
I've read the materials (bike service manual and several posts on forums aswel as the youtube vids). And just wondered is there a special carb cleaner for motorcycles or will the crc carb r clean from super cheap auto do? Or just clean the parts with clean fuel? (yes i'm a noob mechanic:baby:) What would/do you use?

You want to pull the carbs off and open them up, check the float bowls are clean and check the jets arent blocked.

Mplant
30th May 2012, 15:14
You want to pull the carbs off and open them up, check the float bowls are clean and check the jets arent blocked.

Yup that's my plan. But do i clean them with clean fuel and a brush or by soaking it in and spraying carb cleaner everywhere. Or is it just a personal thing? One likes to use fuel and the other likes to use carb cleaner?

4AGE
30th May 2012, 16:19
Fuel pump starting to shit the bed.

Its a common problem on these. I replaced the pump on mine about 2000kms ago. Honda want a ridiculous price.

I went to repco and got one of these. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/fuel-systems/auction-479903206.htm

The only issue is that the factory pump has the inlet and outlet on the same side. But some minor hose cutting and minor re-routing fixed this.

ducatilover
30th May 2012, 19:36
check the gas cap is properly venting
:facepalm: how the fuck did I forget that.

4AGE, any idea if those pumps come with the ability to push around 10psi? I'm looking for something fairly low pressure/low current draw for my turbo build on the 600

4AGE
31st May 2012, 09:18
:facepalm: how the fuck did I forget that.

4AGE, any idea if those pumps come with the ability to push around 10psi? I'm looking for something fairly low pressure/low current draw for my turbo build on the 600

Not to sure. Check out there site here : http://www.fuelflow.co.nz/FF_cms_03/

Well priced, seem decent quality. And repco seems to stock them if you want one urgently.