PDA

View Full Version : Good idea or charity trap?

Paul in NZ
1st June 2012, 09:14
I dunno - what do we think?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/7026841/Best-foot-forward-in-free-shoes

Personally - whatever the out come good on the Church and Parishioner Simon Legge for at least trying to do something positive!

EJK
1st June 2012, 09:20
Agreed. Better than dogmatism.

Clockwork
1st June 2012, 09:23
I'll go for "A good idea"

Paul, you're not usually so cynical.

Paul in NZ
1st June 2012, 09:36
I'll go for "A good idea"

Paul, you're not usually so cynical.

Oh I'm not, indeed I'd donate $$ to this idea. But you have to accept that there are other points of view on this sort of thing. What I see out there at the moment is that a lot of people are really (really) struggling and just telling them to get a job etc isnt any good if there are not any decent jobs. This seems like a small thing that could make just a little difference to these kids at an impressionable age. Either way someone had a good idea and acted on it. That is fantastic and I like it a lot.

It might be because I'm getting older but I have a sick feeling in my stomach that we are standing on a threshold in the western world. I was brought up with stories about what it was like in the depression era and no one wants to see that again.

Asher
1st June 2012, 09:55
Not against it, but shoes are cheap these days. It goes no way to try and fix the issue of child poverty usually caused by un-caring parents who would rather spend their money on sky tv or at the TAB than no their kids welfare.

Paul in NZ
1st June 2012, 10:04
Not against it, but shoes are cheap these days. It goes no way to try and fix the issue of child poverty usually caused by un-caring parents who would rather spend their money on sky tv or at the TAB than no their kids welfare.

But I don't think a parishioner in a suburban church can fix that. Maybe it goes some way to scaffolding good behavior or adopting a pragmatic approach to charity.

unstuck
1st June 2012, 10:19
“I will never attend an anti-war rally; if you have a peace rally, invite me.” Mother Teresa.:niceone:

nudemetalz
1st June 2012, 10:22
I think it's a great idea.

It's so sad reading about kids going to school with no lunch etc.

mashman
1st June 2012, 10:29
Great idea... but also a charity trap.

jellywrestler
1st June 2012, 10:58
I think it's a great idea.

It's so sad reading about kids going to school with no lunch etc. cause they dont know how to butter a bit of bread but do know how to stand in the tuck shop queue instead??

I've worked in 600plus state houses there would be less than 20 with any form of vegetables or fruit trees growing outside.
I say the government should put a lemon tree in every state house back yard in NZ, then teach the kids to fill their coke bottle with water, put it in the fridge and add a slice of lemon and see how nice and refreshing that tastes.
Three weeks later they've saved enough money to buy their own fucking shoes....

give a man a fish....