PDA

View Full Version : Ride Monday Dec 29th, Whangamata.

Andrew
28th December 2003, 17:29
Due to the fact that there wasn't much enthusiasm for going to Whangamata today, I will be riding out there tomorrow. I Will be at Papakura Autobahn from 9am to have a coffee and then head out at 9.30am. The ride will of course be weather dependant, if unsure phone me on 0211062704.

The ride is open to everybody except FIREFIGHT, who seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Whangamata. :)

Depending on the number of people who show and the amount of interest, it may also be possible to complete the Coromandel loop.

So far Vladi is in. Can you make it this time BB?

vladi
28th December 2003, 18:19
Andrew, see u tomorrow 9 30
Vladi :)

Due to the fact that there wasn't much enthusiasm for going to Whangamata today, I will be riding out there tomorrow. I Will be at Papakura Autobahn from 9am to have a coffee and then head out at 9.30am. The ride will of course be weather dependant, if unsure phone me on 0211062704.

The ride is open to everybody except FIREFIGHT, who seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Whangamata. :)

Depending on the number of people who show and the amount of interest, it may also be possible to complete the Coromandel loop.

So far Vladi is in. Can you make it this time BB?

MikeL
28th December 2003, 18:49
Yessssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:2thumbsup

Yamahamaman
28th December 2003, 18:56
Would like to, but I gotta go to work :doh:

angle
28th December 2003, 21:32

If you don't mind a complete stranger to tag along, I'd love to come (have never ridden down south before :disapint: )!

Where exactly is this Papakura Autobahn? :confused:

SPman
28th December 2003, 22:05
I SHOULD go to work but.................we'll see!

SpankMe
29th December 2003, 08:30
I'm at work :( and it's pissing down outside. :cold:

MikeL
29th December 2003, 09:31
I spoke to Andrew just after 9 this morning and suggested in view of the weather that he postpone the ride. The forecast is much better for later in the week. Anyone interested in going Wed, Thur or Fri?

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 09:50
I spoke to Andrew just after 9 this morning and suggested in view of the weather that he postpone the ride. The forecast is much better for later in the week. Anyone interested in going Wed, Thur or Fri?

I'm going down south to Thames on Tuesday to get some decent tyres at last on the GSXR (getting a mate to fit them from lester Yates at a good rate). Anyone who fancies a blat is of course more than welcome. I'm thinking perhaps going the long way home (not sure which long way) but with the view to avoiding the holiday spots I guess (kopu hill/whangamata/waihi) because of the sleepy cage drivers.

if ya keen, post here or try 021 537 473. Leaving autobahn papakura at 10ish regardless if anyone else is keen. (i'm always up for a coffee!)

oh and if it's raining, cest la vie... I still need those tyres so I'm goin.
:Punk:

Slim
29th December 2003, 10:12
If you don't mind a complete stranger to tag along, I'd love to come (have never ridden down south before :disapint: )!

Where exactly is this Papakura Autobahn? :confused:
To answer your questions:
1. If you're logged onto KiwiBiker, then you're not a stranger. :) Any thread in this part of the forum is pretty much an open invite for anyone that can make it. :)

2. Head south on the Southern Motorway, and somewhere south of Manukau City and Manurewa there is a BP Truckstop/Autobahn cafe type setup (it's pretty huge, and there's big green motorway signs telling you it's coming up). Just to confuse you, there's also an Autobahn cafe at the Bombay BP stop too. :wacko:

Motoracer
29th December 2003, 10:46
Just to confuse you, there's also an Autobahn cafe at the Bombay BP stop too. :wacko:

Which I found out yesterday when I ended up in the Bombay hills Autobhan and I was supposed to meet up in the Papakura one. :doh:

MikeL
29th December 2003, 11:34
Which I found out yesterday when I ended up in the Bombay hills Autobhan and I was supposed to meet up in the Papakura one. :doh:

...but you're not the only one. I found out the hard way too. Perhaps we should refer to the Papakura one by a different name: the motorway sign certainly doesn't mention Autobahn - is it BP Truckstop??

bikerboy
29th December 2003, 13:42
Perhaps the Papakura one could be "the autobhan" as it is the most popular meeting place for most bikers. For the times there is a desire to meet further south, perhaps it could be noted as "the bombay hills autobahn".

Just a thought.

Now, I'm game for a ride the rest of this week if the weather improves.

:)

wkid_one
29th December 2003, 13:56
...but you're not the only one. I found out the hard way too. Perhaps we should refer to the Papakura one by a different name: the motorway sign certainly doesn't mention Autobahn - is it BP Truckstop??

Mike - I seem to recall that was on our ride out to Kawhia with me, BB, Andy, Marmoot and BigB - you finally caught us at the fish and chip shop in Kawhia if I recall????

Until then - I didn't even know there was a Bombay Autobahn..... :no:

MikeL
29th December 2003, 14:12
Mike - I seem to recall that was on our ride out to Kawhia with me, BB, Andy, Marmoot and BigB - you finally caught us at the fish and chip shop in Kawhia if I recall????

Until then - I didn't even know there was a Bombay Autobahn..... :no:

Yes, and you may recall that you passed me while I was stopped somewhere near Pukekawa looking at my map. I would have caught up with you before Kawhia except that I took a wrong turn and ended up on a gravel road for about 10 ks. :angry2:

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 15:22
how about this?
Autobahn North: aka. drury services, papakura BP truckstop
Autobahn South: aka. Bombay autobahn, Bombay Hills Maccas etc. etc.

refering to any other place is just confusing as both places have truckstops/maccas and a cafe called 'autobahn'

Andrew
29th December 2003, 16:29
Well I was actullay on knife edge about going or not. However I met Vladi at Autobahn - NORTH, and 2 coffee's later we decided to make a go of it.

We took the main highway from Bombay to Kopu and the rain was only spitting at this point. Stopped at Kopu for a 'pisstop' and then headed round the peninsula toward Coromandel. Although there was traffic in the twisties leading up to Whangamata, it wasn't too busy given the season.

When in Whangamata township, the main drag was crowded with people. It reminded me of the masses of students at Auckland Uni. Definatly a student town in the holidays for sure.

We stopped at the beach met a group of guys (who were smoking some questionable substances), they were local surfie bums who were just killing time until they had to go back to school! Apart from those dudes the beach was empty, although apparantly the night before there had been a big party!!

The next leg of the journey was though a lot of showers and twisties to Paeroa via Waihi. We had lunch at a dairy/lunch bar, and toyed with the idea of staying the night at the local pub for $20.

After luch it was time to bite the bullet, put on the wet gear, and wet gloves and venture back out into the showers. The leg home was fairly boring although poor visibility led to some interesting experiences!! Apart from the rain it was a fariy cool day, 450k's all up and a nice hot shower on the brew!!

Thanks Vladi for coming along - you were awesome company!

Firefight
29th December 2003, 16:43
how about this?
Autobahn North: aka. drury services, papakura BP truckstop
Autobahn South: aka. Bombay autobahn, Bombay Hills Maccas etc. etc.

refering to any other place is just confusing as both places have truckstops/maccas and a cafe called 'autobahn'

Okay ,I am wrong it is "Rocket Science" :o , unbelivable, but I'll try one more time, If your heading south on the motorway ....... What CK refers to as Autobahn North is really Autobahn South ,therfore if your heading North Autobahn South is Autobahn north, yeah easy, Thank Goodness for :mobile:

Firefight

MikeL
29th December 2003, 19:20
Hey FF why did you have to go and confuse us by bringing logic into it?? :stupid:

Andrew
29th December 2003, 19:26
Okay ,I am wrong it is "Rocket Science" :o , unbelivable, but I'll try one more time, If your heading south on the motorway ....... What CK refers to as Autobahn North is really Autobahn South ,therfore if your heading North Autobahn South is Autobahn north, yeah easy, Thank Goodness for :mobile:

Firefight

Clearly FF I think you have some issues. These issues being physics issues. If your're still accepting late Christmas pressies, I think I can find a nice cone shaped hat with "physics boy" in big black letters. What do ya say?

Firefight
29th December 2003, 20:24
Clearly FF I think you have some issues. These issues being physics issues. If your're still accepting late Christmas pressies, I think I can find a nice cone shaped hat with "physics boy" in big black letters. What do ya say?

So Andrew you do want to change my name :sneaky2: ?

Firefight
29th December 2003, 20:25

So Andrew you do want to change my name :sneaky2: ?

I feel like this guy :bash:

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 22:05

Firefight

who stops at bombay purposely to meet people heading north? You've just been plotting that one to bugger my nice sensible suggestion haven't you?
well, I won't stand for it!

from now on, I'll just refuse to go on SH1 at all and meet people next to a small unnamed fountain in Hunua :bleh:

p.s. anyone coming tomorrow? be at one of those bloody autobahn thingees (NEAREST AUCKLAND OK!?!?!) before 10 right? :stupid:

Yamahamaman
30th December 2003, 19:50
oh and if it's raining, cest la vie... I still need those tyres so I'm goin.
:Punk:

I guess the new tyres should be well and truly scrubbed in by now :2thumbsup

angle
31st December 2003, 00:31
To answer your questions:

Thanks for your answer, went there this Monday and actually found it :yes: .

I was thinking of circumnavigating the Hunua Ranges via Clevdon Rd, East Coast Rd etc. this Friday.

Coldkiwi
31st December 2003, 10:24

indeed they are! 1 burnout in Thames, SH2 and the road from mangatwhiri to clevedon (worse state than ever) later and i've only got a small amount of glint left on the edges. those diablos are better stone cold & brand new than the 207's when run in and cold. $484 for the pair of corsa's and i've found a buyer for the 207's for $150 so its a worthwhile upgrade. maybe i'm just an italian brand name basher but i don't think i'll ride on any other rubber from now on given the choice.
I can understand a little bit why superbike racers are picky about what they use now.

btw... that really straight bit of road about 3.5km long out in happy Valley (approx 6km north of Hotel du vin) with the kink has got a BIG bump in it on its northern stretch. a little bit scary at +200kmhr I discovered!!!

Land speed record pretenders beware!!

Coldkiwi
31st December 2003, 10:25

indeed they are! 1 burnout in Thames, SH2 and the road from mangatwhiri to clevedon (worse state than ever) later and i've only got a small amount of glint left on the edges. those diablos are better stone cold & brand new than the 207 u's when warm and run in. $484 for the pair of corsa's and i've found a buyer for the 207's for $150 so its a worthwhile upgrade. maybe i'm just an italian brand name basher but i don't think i'll ride on any other rubber from now on given the choice.
I can understand a little bit why superbike racers are picky about what they use now.

btw... that really straight bit of road about 3.5km long out in happy Valley (approx 6km north of Hotel du vin) with the kink has got a BIG bump in it on its northern stretch. a little bit scary at +200kmhr I discovered!!!

Land speed record pretenders beware!! (oh yes, and people sometimes pull out of the driveways.. highly irresponsible to speed and all that)