PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem

beezma
12th June 2012, 14:33
First time I've had an issue with my Yamaha FZX250. Been sitting for about 3 weeks since her last ride, the crap weather has been putting me off.
Anyway, since it was a reasonable day today thought I'd give her a bit of a ride. Warmed her up as usual, then engaged the clutch and clicked down into first.
Released the clutch and nothing. F##K...
What could this be? How would i go about diagnosing this problem?

Edit: Just to make things a bit clearer. By "nothing" I mean, as in the motorbike is still in neutral.

Ragingrob
12th June 2012, 15:08
First time I've had an issue with my Yamaha FZX250. Been sitting for about 3 weeks since her last ride, the crap weather has been putting me off.
Anyway, since it was a reasonable day today thought I'd give her a bit of a ride. Warmed her up as usual, then engaged the clutch and clicked down into first.
Released the clutch and nothing. F##K...
What could this be? How would i go about diagnosing this problem?

I'm guessing you've played around with the gears and the clutch does nothing for all of them?

If it was a once-off problem, it may have no quite engaged the gear, but tripped the neutral sensor so the bike thinks it's in gear... Or did it definitely click into gear properly?

Does the clutch have the usual feel to it?

Just asking some questions that may help others answer your question :eek:

ducatilover
12th June 2012, 15:11
Push down on the gear lever and slowly let the clutch out

beezma
12th June 2012, 15:32
I'm guessing you've played around with the gears and the clutch does nothing for all of them?

If it was a once-off problem, it may have no quite engaged the gear, but tripped the neutral sensor so the bike thinks it's in gear... Or did it definitely click into gear properly?

Does the clutch have the usual feel to it?

Just asking some questions that may help others answer your question :eek:

Yep, tried all gears. It clicks when i press the gear level down to engage gear and neutral light trips. As far as I can tell the clutch has the normal feel to it aswell.

Push down on the gear lever and slowly let the clutch out

Well...Never did i know lol

Akzle
12th June 2012, 15:42
i don't understand the question.

there is no way that sitting for 3 weeks can break a clutch/gearbox.
...unless they're sitting in acid.

false neutral.

ducatilover
12th June 2012, 15:47

false neutral.

Unless the plates/springs have magically gone bung...

Ragingrob
12th June 2012, 15:50
Yep, tried all gears. It clicks when i press the gear level down to engage gear and neutral light trips. As far as I can tell the clutch has the normal feel to it aswell.

Well...Never did i know lol

Fixed?

10char

beezma
12th June 2012, 17:07
Fixed?

10char

No dice.

false neutral.

I wish your right, but i reckon something's not right since I've never have clutch problems before.

Unless the plates/springs have magically gone bung...

Wouldn't there be some symptoms of the plates/springs going bung in the time leading up to it.

ducatilover
12th June 2012, 17:59
Wouldn't there be some symptoms of the plates/springs going bung in the time leading up to it.

One would expect so

If you leave the bike off, slowly roll it forward when sitting on it and click it down in to first, does the rear wheel lock up? Don't use the clutch.

Also, when you pull the clutch in, with the engine running, check to see it's pulling on the clutch fork and that it's moving back when you let go of the clutch.

jellywrestler
12th June 2012, 18:01
i think i've got it, the chains gone???

Akzle
12th June 2012, 18:10
Wouldn't there be some symptoms of the plates/springs going bung in the time leading up to it.plates: yes. it the form of slippage.
springs: it's highly unlikely 2 or 4 springs will suffer materiel failure at the same time.

get yer socket set out boyo....

unstuck
12th June 2012, 18:18
Is the gear lever tight and the shaft unstripped?

sinfull
12th June 2012, 18:24
Have you tried adding adding a few more gigabytes to the flux capacitor ?

beezma
12th June 2012, 18:53
One would expect so

If you leave the bike off, slowly roll it forward when sitting on it and click it down in to first, does the rear wheel lock up? Don't use the clutch.

Also, when you pull the clutch in, with the engine running, check to see it's pulling on the clutch fork and that it's moving back when you let go of the clutch.

Wheel doesn't lock up, like it's in neutral. The clutch fork moves through its full range of motion when I pull the clutch in and release it.

Chains defiantly still there :bleh:

get yer socket set out boyo....

Tomorrows project I think.

ducatilover
12th June 2012, 19:09
:laugh: That or the front sprocket fell off

Laava
12th June 2012, 21:51
Take the bike off the centrestand!
Seriously tho, that is a curly one. The old triumphs used to do something similar IIRC but it was just the centre nut in the clutch basket.
Sounds like you are going to have to go in!

MSTRS
13th June 2012, 08:56
...The old triumphs used to do something similar IIRC but it was just the centre nut in the clutch basket...

Cunt! The memory had ALMOST gone. You bastard...

Katman
13th June 2012, 09:14
:laugh: That or the front sprocket fell off

IIRC there was someone on here a while ago complaining of a similar thing. They were all set to proclaim jihad on the person who moved their bike when in fact, what had happened was the nut holding the front sprocket on the output shaft had come undone.

Akzle
13th June 2012, 10:10
Have you tried adding adding a few more gigabytes to the flux capacitor ?
jigga-watts. JIGGA-WATTS!!!

ducatilover
13th June 2012, 12:05
IIRC there was someone on here a while ago complaining of a similar thing. They were all set to proclaim jihad on the person who moved their bike when in fact, what had happened was the nut holding the front sprocket on the output shaft had come undone.
Wasn't it an FZR250? :laugh: Maybe it's a Yamaha thing...
A mate of mine had a shop in Palmy do chain/sprockets, a few km down the orad, front sprocket hops off and has a nap inside the block...:shit:

Akzle
13th June 2012, 17:54
A mate of mine had a shop in Palmy do chain/sprockets, a few km down the orad, front sprocket hops off and has a nap inside the block...:shit:average. highly f*ing average.

ducatilover
13th June 2012, 18:42
average. highly f*ing average.

I was very impressed...I mean, how the fuuuu?

Laava
13th June 2012, 19:57
Wasn't it an FZR250? :laugh: a few km down the orad, :shit:

Is that where sprotbike riders go?

ducatilover
13th June 2012, 20:00
Is that where sprotbike riders go?
I always take my botormike to the orad, don't you?