PDA

View Full Version : Welding and brake cleaner

DEATH_INC.
14th June 2012, 09:27
I haven't seen this here before, but even if it has been it's worth posting again. If you weld, read this... http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

White trash
14th June 2012, 09:38
Yeah I read that somewhere a few months back. Fucken scary stuff.

CookMySock
14th June 2012, 09:58
Don't squirt it on a hot exhaust either. Welding galv sheetmetal will do the same.

Forced ventilation is key.

Motu
14th June 2012, 17:36
Yeah, you're a bit late on this - it was all over ''American'' web sites last year. As always, I ignore them. I read today that diesel exhaust fumes cause cancer - I'll file that under ''Asbestos'' , because I inhaled a shit load of that stuff in truck shops in the '70's too. The hearing damage I got at the same time was covered by ACC....but that didn't kill me.

Brian d marge
14th June 2012, 18:01
Yeah, you're a bit late on this - it was all over ''American'' web sites last year. As always, I ignore them. I read today that diesel exhaust fumes cause cancer - I'll file that under ''Asbestos'' , because I inhaled a shit load of that stuff in truck shops in the '70's too. The hearing damage I got at the same time was covered by ACC....but that didn't kill me.

Me to

I will let u know when it does kill me

Stephen

ps tinnus (sp)...not THAT is annoying , fkin loud today ....

DEATH_INC.
14th June 2012, 18:27
Yeah, you're a bit late on this - it was all over ''American'' web sites last year.
Ok.....I hadn't seen it before, and having suffered a fairly severe breathing problem from welding, it caught my attention....

Katman
14th June 2012, 20:50
I tried the trick of igniting Brakeleen to pop an ATV tyre onto the rim just the other day. All it did was start burning and as I leaned over to blow the flames out I caught a whiff of the fumes.

Not something I'd do in a hurry again.

koba
14th June 2012, 22:03
Welding galv sheetmetal will do the same.

I've made myself a bit sick with that before, I don't think it was life threatening but I'm really keen to avoid a repeat episode!

Motu
14th June 2012, 22:42
Here's another one that got us all scared 20 years ago....and this was before the internet.

Danger fluorolastomec

Fluorolastomec or veton, by its other name, is a material that is being used to make brake seals and fuel pipes and possibly other rubber/plastic substitutes in motor vehicles by vehicle manufacturers.

This material becomes dangerous after it has been burnt, i.e. vehicle fire. The material melts into a highly corrosive acid, which if it gets on to the skin cannot be removed - the only treatment is amputation. This melted state will remain dangerous for a minimum of two years, only professional de—contamination will remove it safely.

Please remember this for your own safety, if you are dealing with a burnt out vehicle, always use gloves.

Remember amputation is the only treatment - there is no second chance with this chemical

Almost true - but not in the real world

Brian d marge
14th June 2012, 23:17
Work

now thats one scary sht right there.... makes me sick even just thinking of it

Stephen

Grumph
15th June 2012, 07:42
Here's another one that got us all scared 20 years ago....and this was before the internet.

I remember this - burning viton - being mentioned at a riders briefing years back. Pretty sure John Shand had come back from an FIM conference where it was mentioned. Apparently a German had lost an eye when a piece of burning viton had flown up.

Bikemad
15th June 2012, 16:15
I've made myself a bit sick with that before, I don't think it was life threatening but I'm really keen to avoid a repeat episode!

thats known as galv flu..............older welders will tell ta to drink milk before you start welding as the milk lines ya throat n gullet and helps stop the galv smoke gettin to ya...........i think it's a bit of a wives tale and prefer to hold my breath for the length of the rod/weld............if ya doin heaps of welding you should really wear a respirator regardless of the base material as the rods have some pretty nasty shit in them too

Metal Doctor
28th October 2012, 19:02
Thanks for posting that!

I've been a welder for a long time and i keep learning new things! i knew about phosgene gas but didnt really know the effects it had on the body!

Galv flu or zinc poisining isnt pleasant! ive had it! but a word of warning to much zinc in your system will not only poisen you but it collects in a part of the body causing swelling and in men thats your bollocks where it collects!

Another less known one is parts cleaning stations like the ones they use in car workshops, the vapor from the cleaning fluids can be transformed into MUSTARD GAS when exposed to ultra-violet light, welding produces ultra-violet light anlong with many others, so if you have a parts cleaning station dont weld any where near it!!!

Metal Doctor
28th October 2012, 19:03
if ya doin heaps of welding you should really wear a respirator regardless of the base material as the rods have some pretty nasty shit in them too

I totaly agree!!!!

Akzle
28th October 2012, 19:33

sounds like hotmix asphalt. that shit's nasty.

imdying
28th October 2012, 19:46
Pretty sure that amputation isn't the only option; they can use calcium gluconate injections.

Motu
28th October 2012, 21:30
sounds like hotmix asphalt. that shit's nasty.

Burning rubber is pretty bad too. Back in the day when we used to burn rubber suspension bushes out with the gas torch, sometimes blobs of burning rubber would drop on your arm - wipe it off and you wipe the burning rubber down your arm.....so instead of one big burn just a line of smaller ones.

Life used to be dangerous, and certainly more exciting.

pete376403
28th October 2012, 21:35
something I was told over 30 years ago while at CIT block course - no smoking while use brake cleaner - for the same reasons as the original post - cleaner fumes heated when inhaled through cigareete will create phosgene.

ellipsis
28th October 2012, 22:06
...i'd rather not put too much thought into it, being LV, working most of your life with the now proven carcinogens and lead based crap and being a part of the learning curve...