PDA

View Full Version : Peaklife - 3.5 inch motorcycle GPS navigator (All terrain edition)?

kiwigjt
15th June 2012, 15:41
Does anyone know anything about these units?

I was looking at getting a navigation system and thought that there must be cheaper options, that are good, than the Zumo 550 for bikes.

After some internet trollling I found this http://www.chinavasion.com/portable-gps/cvugtr16/#.T9qol1LnS7s.
It seems like the business at a fraction of the price of some of the other brands, but there could be a reaon for that.

It looks like it has been asked before, just wanting more info is possible, here is the old thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/142220-Peaklife-3-5-inch-motorcycle-GPS-navigator

I'm not familiar with it at all and can't see any comments from anyone in NZ.
Any advise on this or other units would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Glenn (kiwigjt)

Gremlin
15th June 2012, 17:44
No experience with the unit, however, maps long term will probably be a significant cost, especially if you want to keep it up to date.

The zumo 550 is not only recommended because it's a good GPS (I've put 97,000km on one and it's still going strong), but it's also Garmin. Garmin GPSs' are compatible with the open source NZOGPS project in NZ, ie, free weekly maps... www.nzopengps.org

kiwigjt
17th June 2012, 15:27
No experience with the unit, however, maps long term will probably be a significant cost, especially if you want to keep it up to date.

The zumo 550 is not only recommended because it's a good GPS (I've put 97,000km on one and it's still going strong), but it's also Garmin. Garmin GPSs' are compatible with the open source NZOGPS project in NZ, ie, free weekly maps... www.nzopengps.org

Thanks Gremlin, good to get a point of view/advice from someone that is experienced in these expensive parts. Don't really want to just throw money down the drain.

Gremlin
17th June 2012, 22:23
Some guys go for the cheaper Nuvi and then say in hindsight, they'd rather spend the extra for a Zumo. Others get along just fine with a Nuvi for example, and then you also have the others, like 60csx etc. Take a look at the Garmin website and see what suits your needs, make sure you can sort a mount for it etc. Goes without saying you'd want waterproof (or be storing in a very waterproof pocket on a bag or something) and possibly rugged.

My zumo hooks into my comms system, plays all my music, handles my phone etc... therefore, I spent the extra and never looked back.