PDA

View Full Version : LOTR - 3

wkid_one
29th December 2003, 07:34
I went to see this movie in the weekend - and I wondered. Did anyone else find this movie a little insubstantial. Every scene was about 2-3 times as long as it needed to be - and it took wayyyyyy too long to end after the action.

I was grossly disappointed with what was supposed to be the climatic conclusion of the epic saga.

mangell6
29th December 2003, 09:56
Wkid_one,

Have you read the book? It is good to see a movie that is true to the actual book, hence the farewell scene. There were some pieces left out and others that were extended. But I am sure that the extended version will cover those points, as the previous ones did. :msn-wink:

I recommend that you read the book, it is a long read, when do you go back to work??? <_<

Mike

Jackrat
29th December 2003, 10:00
I saw the first one and thought that was WAY over rated,so I won,t waste me money on the rest.But then I think most movies are a load of crap anyway.If I want some action I,ll go an do it meself.Movies Ha,Just a lot of BS pretence,,,Errrrrrr apart from The Crusty Demons of course,,Them Dudes really know how to crash :lol:

mangell6
29th December 2003, 10:57
I personally believe movies are to entertain, tell a story. :msn-wink:

GUMBALL Rally is the best movie of all time, IMHO :lol:

bluninja
29th December 2003, 11:07
I was grossly disappointed with what was supposed to be the climatic conclusion of the epic saga.
I guess after reading all the 2004 bike reviews you'll be disappointed with the actual bikes (if you were riding:bleh:). Some people take in the hype and get disappointed with the real thing, maybe this was the case for you.

TTFN

Motu
29th December 2003, 11:40
I'm much more a book person than a Movie/TV type,I'd much rather while away wasted time with a good book than a pile of videos,so I am usualy hugely disapointed in a movie of a book I've read.But LOTR impresess me,especialy the character interprations - Frodo/Sam...Golem...Gandalf getting those across has been the most stunning for me - like gandalf in The Hobbit was a bit of a funny dude,then he turns into the wizard fighting the dark side,not a bad job by a poofter I reckon.Skitso Smeagal...wow,he got that one across no worries.They took some liberties - Tom Bombodil...gone,the Barrow Downs...gone,dunno what's missing from this one as I haven't seen it yet.
Tolkien was a Pommy nerd - woman supplied tea and biscuits and emptied his ashtray...they have no place in his books,this was man stuff...fighting,bad guys,male bonding...woman don't belong here,like they don't belong on bikes - but hey,it's the 21st century,so,we gotta give the girls a go...that means we gotta alter the story a bit so we can keep the girls happy.Hey,they looked pretty damn good to me - but if I see any of this kissing shit I'm gunna throw my jaffa's at the screen!

wkid_one
29th December 2003, 11:55
Wkid_one,

Have you read the book? It is good to see a movie that is true to the actual book, hence the farewell scene. There were some pieces left out and others that were extended. But I am sure that the extended version will cover those points, as the previous ones did. :msn-wink:

I recommend that you read the book, it is a long read, when do you go back to work??? <_<

Mike

Have read the books about 6-7 times. It was still a painful movie - the book was much better. I absolutely loved the first one film, was ho hum about the second - and disliked the third.
To put this in perspective - I have read nearly all Sci Fi Fantasy authors (Dave Eddings, Katherine Kerr, LV Jones, Stephen Lawhead etc), so it is not like I don't appreciate these kind of movies.

I realise the necessity for the movie to replicate the book given the cult following of the novels - however - 3.5 hours was a little extreme as some scenes seemed to take longer to watch than they did to read.

I have the other two on DVD and watched them before the movie - don't think I will buy the third one.
Hopefully PJ's interpretation of the Hobbit in 2005 will be better.

Jackrat
29th December 2003, 14:20
Hell you lot should get out more :no:
Bugger I think I,ll go an kill somethin, <_<

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 15:14
saw it two days ago. Very worthwhile. I'm a bit too lazy minded to translate Tolkiens' descriptive verbosity into a mental picture so I appreciate the movies that bring it too life.

Again, we could've lost the last 10 minutes of farewells without detracting from teh movie, but it does remain true to the book (something movies based on books are roundly criticised for).

I think PJ struck the balance quite well. Yes it was long but never boring.

go that man!

Frenzal
30th December 2003, 11:28
They're making another one in 2005?... You have to be joking?
I could go into great detail in how much I despise the LOTR series, but I won't bother you guys with it, I'll just grumble to myself..
I prefered Peter Jacksons earlier movies like Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Braindead, I recommend them to anyone who wanted to hire a good classic comedy/horror movie.
That is all.

wkid_one
30th December 2003, 12:24
Again, we could've lost the last 10 minutes of farewells without detracting from teh movie, but it does remain true to the book (something movies based on books are roundly criticised for).

Classic Example - the Running Man Book v Running Man movie - my god

sAsLEX
30th December 2003, 19:32
I thought the ending was a bit drawn out as well, and it was here that the movie was ruined for me :angry2:

the scene where ?aragon? gets crowned has one of the worst computer animation scenes I have seen in a movie recently, and after all the battle scenes, the very poor quality of the animated crowd was a major dissapointment :brick:

wari
31st December 2003, 03:23
I read the books in preparation to watching the movies ... took me bluddy months I tell ya !! It was the one and only marathon I'll ever run, thats for sure. Not a book reader me ... I enjoyed the LOTR series even tho' mearse got a bit sore at times.

When you consider all that had to be done and all the intertwined stories within the story I reckon Jackson pulled it orff. Well done to him !!

What?
31st December 2003, 05:36
Have read the books about 6-7 times. It was still a painful movie - the book was much better.
Personally NEVER see a movie after reading the book. Been disapointed too often (nearly fell asleep in Jaws!).

wkid_one
31st December 2003, 06:43
I thought the ending was a bit drawn out as well, and it was here that the movie was ruined for me :angry2:

the scene where ?aragon? gets crowned has one of the worst computer animation scenes I have seen in a movie recently, and after all the battle scenes, the very poor quality of the animated crowd was a major dissapointment :brick:

My thoughts exactly. My opinion on the movie may have been saved if the movie had ended 1/2 hour earlier also.

The movie seemed to depend too much on CG and not enuf on the story in general. Admittedly the books focus on the 'grandeur' - however when CG becomes a focus of a movie - you may as well rename it Matrix 4