PDA

View Full Version : XJ 600 Seca stalling when stopping in cold weather

frogamic
17th June 2012, 17:36
I've noticed with the cold weather lately that my '97 Yamaha XJ 600 will stall when I've been riding for a while in cold weather. When I start it it'll start fine and idle nicely at 1500rpm, then when I've been riding for 5-10 min it'll stall when I go to stop. Also at lower revs it kind of sounds more like a twin with a more rumbly exhaust tone, but only in cold weather after riding for a bit.

What could cause these problems? The plugs need replacing, which will happen on payday.

ducatilover
17th June 2012, 17:49
Drain the tank, fresh 95/98 petrol in it
Replace the plugs
Check the leads, lead caps and coils for cracks and splits.
Check under the plug leads for moisture.
Clean the contacts on the coils.
Make sure the tank vent is..err venting.
Replace the fuel filter.
If it has a vacuum line to the fuel tap, check and/or replace.
If it has a fuel pump, check the fittings and that it's pumping

That's the easy rubbish

nzspokes
17th June 2012, 18:16
Yah carbs are icing up.

NinjaNanna
17th June 2012, 18:19
Yah carbs are icing up.

That's what I was going to suggest, you'll need to find out if your bike has a carb heating circuit, on similar vintage ZX9R Ninja's this coolant circuit was known for either blocking due to corosion or the little inline filter simply blocking up.

Your bike may suffer from similar.

nzspokes
17th June 2012, 18:37
That's what I was going to suggest, you'll need to find out if your bike has a carb heating circuit, on similar vintage ZX9R Ninja's this coolant circuit was known for either blocking due to corosion or the little inline filter simply blocking up.

Your bike may suffer from similar.

My Bandit gets it bad. Im going to be checking the heating circut this week.

frogamic
17th June 2012, 20:04
Apparently the seca is American and doesn't have heated carbs while the diversion is the English variant and does. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I run 91 in it

nzspokes
17th June 2012, 20:09
Warm it up properly before you ride.

ducatilover
17th June 2012, 20:58
I've never had a problem with carbs icing and I've never had a bike with heated carbs, have been in the snow a couple of times, but I imagine it could be an issue :yes: Ride it harder

frogamic
17th June 2012, 21:19
I've been reading up on carb icing, apparently more air flowing through the carbs will cause more cooling and more icing, there's some fuel additive that should help called silkolene pro fst. Also humidity is required, when the air temp is less than 0 all the moisture is already frozen out of it.