PDA

View Full Version : Winter riding whilst staying warm

GTRMAN
20th June 2012, 13:06
Arctic Thermals from Kiwi Disposals.

$5 each for top and pants, best deal ever.

sil3nt
20th June 2012, 13:15
http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/thermals/361-antarctic-polyprop-top?keyword=arctic
http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/thermals/612-antarctic-polyprop-pants?keyword=arctic

mikemike104
20th June 2012, 17:35
Another must have item is a Snood or some form of balaclava !

Maha
20th June 2012, 17:38
http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/thermals/361-antarctic-polyprop-top?keyword=arctic
http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/thermals/612-antarctic-polyprop-pants?keyword=arctic

*Condition: Used/Laundered with pilling.

I would rather buy new...:(

munster
20th June 2012, 19:57
From my experience hunting, natural fibres are way better for odour control reasons. I can wear my merino for 3 days and still smell fresh. Poly props, 1/2 day and you smell like the devils armpit!

So, if you going somewhere and need to be presentable, natural fibres.

If you're going to a dirty bikers rally, wear whatever the hell you want!

slofox
20th June 2012, 20:04
From my experience hunting, natural fibres are way better for odour control reasons. I can wear my merino for 3 days and still smell fresh. Poly props, 1/2 day and you smell like the devils armpit!

True. Merino is warmer too at least as far as thermal undies are concerned.

Genie
20th June 2012, 20:44
Oxfords hand grips help me....damn I was cold before...but now with my fingers warm, I could be Lady Godiver.

Tryhard
20th June 2012, 21:51
Oxfords hand grips help me....damn I was cold before...but now with my fingers warm, I could be Lady Godiver.

Must get me some of dem

caseye
20th June 2012, 21:56
Must get me some of dem

Why? ya wanna be a Lady Cod Diver too! LOL sorry couldn't resist. Irony is, I have polyprop and the wife has merino and heated hand grips (Oxfords) shes always toasty an warm an I'm always arriving smelly and bloody freezing.
Maha, beggars can't be choosers.

ducatilover
20th June 2012, 23:42
So, I'm going to spark a debate here.
Those Army used thermals, or Merino. Which is better and why? Smell doesn't matter, I like warm.

GTRMAN
21st June 2012, 07:26
So, I'm going to spark a debate here.
Those Army used thermals, or Merino. Which is better and why? Smell doesn't matter, I like warm.

Well these army thermals are about three times thicker than polypro and are warm as toast in the cold and rain. Marino is awesome but so expensive. Generally I find that if it's cold enough to wear thermals then sweating isn't really an issue and at $10 a set my money is on the army stuff.

nadroj
21st June 2012, 07:27
Merino layers (singlet, T shirt, Polo top) then this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/clothing/menswear/jerseys-hoodies/medium/auction-485910319.htm

oneofsix
21st June 2012, 07:47
This year I am trying the Hunting and Fishing $99 pack augmented with possum/merino under gloves and neoprene neck and face mask. The facemask and under gloves I've used before. So far the so good but today is the shortest day so now winter really starts.

The facemask is first winter addition (early autumn) to keep the chill off the throat.

The undergloves are a reluctant use as they do make your hands feel thick but some feel is better than none or worrying about the painfully cold fingertips. I find the possum.merino blend gives me more feel than the Oxford Chillout inner gloves I also own (if I could find where I hide them last spring :facepalm: )

I also use Rainoffs in the wet. Yeah about that, it was dry when I left home and then rain for the next half hour. Anyone else have a problem stopping to gear up, I have start so I will bloody well finish. I hope my leather gloves will be dry enough for the ride home. :(

Just discovered the Hunting n Fishing Polyprops felt dry, I felt dry, put the top over the back of the office chair and now the back of my shirt is damp. I see this as good, if it makes me feel warm and dry whilst riding then I can concentrate on the riding.

Bald Eagle
21st June 2012, 08:07
always check the rain radar before launch, if it's blue the wets go on :-)

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

unstuck
21st June 2012, 08:13
I use all Ridgeline stuff, no complaints. And it gets fucken cold down here.

ducatilover
21st June 2012, 11:36
Well these army thermals are about three times thicker than polypro and are warm as toast in the cold and rain. Marino is awesome but so expensive. Generally I find that if it's cold enough to wear thermals then sweating isn't really an issue and at $10 a set my money is on the army stuff.

I went to buy some after I posted and they're all too big for me :mad:

Ratti
21st June 2012, 15:04
These the ones you were telling me about when you dropped off your jacket for repair? Which items did you purchase? I'd be keen to see them. Between me and my daughter on bikes and my sons doing tramping and outdoor stuff, we could really use some warm gear

GTRMAN
25th June 2012, 11:49
These the ones you were telling me about when you dropped off your jacket for repair? Which items did you purchase? I'd be keen to see them. Between me and my daughter on bikes and my sons doing tramping and outdoor stuff, we could really use some warm gear

The very same :)

I'll bring the catalogue round when I come to get the jacket (and the thermals themselves)

puddytat
25th June 2012, 12:16
I have puyrchased quite a bit of stuff from Kiwi Disposals over the years, & also have these particular tops as well as the french polyprop thermal longjohns....Good cheap alternatives & the quality is acceptable.Often new stuff is also for similar prices.
They also do cotton/ poly blends for thermals too & Im presently using french navy wet weather gear on the Farm which cost 50 bucks, new.

Were do you get a 450 dollar pair of Haix gortex boots for 120? Kiwi Disposals ....used (read nicely broken in) & Ive had two years outta them & still going well. You aint going to get a good boot for 120 thats going to last five minutes in N.Z:(

Well worth checking out people....

Ratti
26th June 2012, 19:12
I orderd some thermals for my sons and some boots and sox. Hope they arrive before the weekend.

GTRMAN
26th June 2012, 21:57
I orderd some thermals for my sons and some boots and sox. Hope they arrive before the weekend.
------------------------------
Sweet

Ratti
27th June 2012, 19:59
Gear arrived today. Cripes, that was fast only paid for it on Sunday. Son is really happy with the thermals and antarctic sox and the hiker boots arevery nice. Hopefully they will last the distance.
Gear I ordered is used but in really good nick. WOrth considering purchase.

pete376403
27th June 2012, 21:12
If you're a Wellington area person, cheap (much cheaper than normal retail) merino thermals are available in the outlet stores in Otaki. Factory seconds and so on, on the stuff I've bought it's something really minor like the label not sewn straight.
Would never go back to polyprop after merino.

GTRMAN
28th June 2012, 08:23
Wellington Motorcycles have Oxford hot grips for $70 at the moment......

oneofsix
28th June 2012, 08:30
Wellington Motorcycles have Oxford hot grips for $70 at the moment......

were sold out of the cheapies when I checked, back to full price.

nallac
28th June 2012, 12:29
Were do you get a 450 dollar pair of Haix gortex boots for 120? Kiwi Disposals ....used (read nicely broken in) & Ive had two years outta them & still going well. You aint going to get a good boot for 120 thats going to last five minutes in N.Z:(

Well worth checking out people....

are these the boots you are talking about?

http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/footwear/135-french-military-gore-tex-boot

Don't suppose they are steel caps??????

puddytat
28th June 2012, 19:47
No ,those wernt the boots & I see that they no longer have the ones I've got, which dont have steelcaps...
if they come into stock again I will buy 2 pairs this time:yes:

GTRMAN
29th June 2012, 07:39
If you're a Wellington area person, cheap (much cheaper than normal retail) merino thermals are available in the outlet stores in Otaki. Factory seconds and so on, on the stuff I've bought it's something really minor like the label not sewn straight.
Would never go back to polyprop after merino.

I had a look at the icebreaker outlet store in Otaki, discounted but still close to $70, bit expensive. But there are some deals to be had up that way.

Ratti
29th June 2012, 13:59
I usually go for merino and silk underlayers, but the polys I bought from Kiwi Disposals are not what you might expect. They are really thick and with a brushed inner. Toasty warm today out in the Wellington chill.

BMWST?
30th June 2012, 15:15
I usually go for merino and silk underlayers, but the polys I bought from Kiwi Disposals are not what you might expect. They are really thick and with a brushed inner. Toasty warm today out in the Wellington chill.

if i was you i would stay out of the chilly welly wind and work in my (relatively) warm workshop :devil2:

Bald Eagle
30th June 2012, 15:16

Which ones did you get ?

dino3310
30th June 2012, 19:25
signed up and brought some stuff, for those prices its worth a try.

Cheers for the link

Ratti
30th June 2012, 20:28
Baldy. antarctic polys and sox. Mr15 loves his outfit, has been wearing it since he hauled it out of the box. Calls it his Snot Monster suit. To be fair, its not a bad comparison. He is very tall and they are very infected snot coloured. But at 5 bucks I can live with it. I used one of the tops under my textile jacket this week, that and a t shirt, and it was really great.

I'll let you know any day now how it copes with being stinked up by a 15yo lad.

Waipukbiker
3rd July 2012, 19:46
Just thought Ide mention something that I tried last weekend, I went on the Taupo Epic events "The long way round" adventure ride which was bloody awesome. The temp when we left taupo was -4 deg and didnt warm up much over the next 11 hrs of riding. Apart from some cold fingertips I was warm and comfy and this was mainly due to a thin, light, windproof and shower proof jacket over my normal riding jacket that had elastic cuffs and buttoned up high under the neck, what a huge differance it made, I took it off at about 1pm when we stopped for lunch and rode with my normal gear until around 4pm when the temp plummeted then put it back on. My normal gear works fine but when the temp is down in the low single figures or the wind chill is making you wonder why you climbed out of bed then thats when this simple addition makes the differance. Mine is a "North Ridge' tramping jacket and is thin enough to stuff into a big pocket but man it works.
I spoke to 3 other riders that had done the same thing and they all said that they will be wearing them all the time in Winter from now on.

I had a look at those big handlebar covers that you see on farmers bikes and quad bikes yesterday and at $45 a pair, totaly storm proof on the outside and wool lined on the inside, a bloody side cheaper than a pair of full on winter weight riding gloves.

You could wear a good pair of protective summer gloves inside these and still retain the "thin glove feel" and be fully protected against the shittiest of weather. They may not be to everyones taste but I am seriosly thinking about them.

Something to think about anyway.

cheers

GTRMAN
4th July 2012, 07:36
Just thought Ide mention something that I tried last weekend, I went on the Taupo Epic events "The long way round" adventure ride which was bloody awesome. The temp when we left taupo was -4 deg and didnt warm up much over the next 11 hrs of riding. Apart from some cold fingertips I was warm and comfy and this was mainly due to a thin, light, windproof and shower proof jacket over my normal riding jacket that had elastic cuffs and buttoned up high under the neck, what a huge differance it made, I took it off at about 1pm when we stopped for lunch and rode with my normal gear until around 4pm when the temp plummeted then put it back on. My normal gear works fine but when the temp is down in the low single figures or the wind chill is making you wonder why you climbed out of bed then thats when this simple addition makes the differance. Mine is a "North Ridge' tramping jacket and is thin enough to stuff into a big pocket but man it works.
I spoke to 3 other riders that had done the same thing and they all said that they will be wearing them all the time in Winter from now on.

I had a look at those big handlebar covers that you see on farmers bikes and quad bikes yesterday and at $45 a pair, totaly storm proof on the outside and wool lined on the inside, a bloody side cheaper than a pair of full on winter weight riding gloves.

You could wear a good pair of protective summer gloves inside these and still retain the "thin glove feel" and be fully protected against the shittiest of weather. They may not be to everyones taste but I am seriosly thinking about them.

Something to think about anyway.

cheers

Good Stuff, yeah having a windbreak layer allows the insulation layers to do their job, trap warm air next to the skin. Where did you see the quad mittens for $45?

Bald Eagle
4th July 2012, 07:44
found these in NZ RRP $51

http://www.forbesanddavies.co.nz/products/85-bar_end_mitts/3088-handlebar_gauntlets.aspx

Ratti
4th July 2012, 13:42
hey that's cool Baldy, I could make those....Need something on Henry. WOn't be as flash as those ones, but easy enough to do. I'll let you know how it goes.

FJRider
4th July 2012, 13:48
hey that's cool Baldy, I could make those....Need something on Henry. WOn't be as flash as those ones, but easy enough to do. I'll let you know how it goes.

Most bike shops have similar for four - wheelers ... MUCH cheaper too. CRT usually have some too.

Find a place that wrecks them and chances are ... you'll score a free pair. (put your bestest smile on)

oneofsix
4th July 2012, 13:50

A sheepskin pair would be nice, possum skin would be better :cool:

Ratti
4th July 2012, 13:59
I think mine will be warewharewetweathergear yellow with polar fleece liners. That way I can chuck them in the wash when they get stinky and they will dry out fast. Fur stinks and stays wet for too long. then it goes crispy if you try and force dry the stuff.

oneofsix
4th July 2012, 14:02
I think mine will be warewharewetweathergear yellow with polar fleece liners. That way I can chuck them in the wash when they get stinky and they will dry out fast. Fur stinks and stays wet for too long. then it goes crispy if you try and force dry the stuff.

sounding interesting. I'll interested in how it goes.

Bald Eagle
4th July 2012, 14:05

Cool, also found another local link http://www.morleymotorcycles.co.nz/motorcyclesmarine.php?category=23&brand=0&piece=419

(http://www.morleymotorcycles.co.nz/motorcyclesmarine.php?category=23&brand=0&piece=419)

Ratti
4th July 2012, 14:18
Baldy, If you do get those thermals, buy 3 of the biggest sized tops and I'll cut one of them up and extend the length on the other two for you. They are a bit shorter than I like them but I can live with it, but way too short for my sons who are about your height and build.

Bald Eagle
4th July 2012, 18:25
order placed

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Waipukbiker
4th July 2012, 19:30
The ones I saw were at the local Suzuki dealer here in Waipukurau, They didnt look as flash as the ones shown in the above links but they were longer in the arm. They would prob reach halfway to elbow.

The local dealer is set up mainly for ag and they are pretty carefull about the quality of the stuff they sell.

I will double check the price anyway and see if I can get a brand.

Ratti
4th July 2012, 19:35
how do you reckon they would go around town? I forsee a problem getting hands into and out of them quickly. How would you give a cager the flip and then get your hands back into the things? Be good on a trip tho.

Bald Eagle
4th July 2012, 20:00
My thought was how they may or may not affect access to bar control / levers indicators etc , will have to try some and see 'spose.

Waipukbiker
4th July 2012, 21:32
Both of my bikes have got lever guards and barkbusters on so they would keep the cover away from all the controls.

Should be ok to cruise into a bike shop and ask to try them on to see if there are any hassles with controls.

BMWST?
4th July 2012, 22:45
My thought was how they may or may not affect access to bar control / levers indicators etc , will have to try some and see 'spose.

make sure they have some kind of rigid support so the wind pressure doesnt push them back into the clutch and brake levers they may be all right round town but 100 kn an hour head on to a wellington breeze is another matter