PDA

View Full Version : Big Peoples Little Bike Option

h_cline
2nd August 2005, 14:04
Hi Guys ... just another newbie with a newbie question (it's great to be in your late 30's and still be a newbie)

I am seriously thinking about getting my licence and getting my own bike, and I could really use some advice.

I am in the Wairarapa, does anyone know where I could do the the BHS ??

And like most new people could use some advice on which bike. I am not interested in going super quick, in fact the biggest issue is finding a comfortable bike. I am about 6 foot 2 and weigh about 110kg, be interested in what people would recommend as a suitable bike

A mate of mine (Dragon28 on here I think) has a CBX750 and that is really comfortable to sit on

Keem to hear what people have to say

Cheers
Henry

Riff Raff
2nd August 2005, 14:38
Hi and welcome to KB :wavey:

Best thing to do is to go round all the bike shops and sit on all the bikes to see what fits. Once you have your learners take them out for a test ride to find one that is comfortable.
Good luck and welcome to the world of biking.

Slingshot
2nd August 2005, 14:47
I did my BHS in Masterton, ring the LTSA, they should be able to tell you who can do them in your area.You need to decide what style you're after, sporty or cruisy. You'll be limited to 250cc so you won't be going super fast either way.

The Suzuki GN250 seems popular with learners as do the GSX, CBR, VTR, ZXR, ZZR, FZR & Bandits in their 250 varients.

Best thing to do is sit on as many as possible and if anyone will let you test ride them do that too!

Paul in NZ
2nd August 2005, 15:16
If you can afford it the Honda VTR 250 is a pretty full sized bike.

Oscar
2nd August 2005, 15:19
Get a trail bike.
Xr250 or Dr250, that sorta thing.
Taller, and with an up right seating position.

bungbung
2nd August 2005, 15:30
VTR250 is good, I'm 6'4" and 105kg

John
2nd August 2005, 15:38
I recon (although the newer models are pricey) the honda hornet would be the best bet, as it borrows the 600cc frame..

outlawtorn
2nd August 2005, 15:42
Welcome to KB dude,

I reckon you should look at a Suzuki GZ250, it's more expensive than the GN 250 but I found it to be more comfortable, I'm 6 foot 3" and weigh 100kg's and I commute on my GZ250, and for commuting it is very comfortable, I like the cruiser style riding position you get with the GZ, but go to the shops and try the bikes outs.

crashe
2nd August 2005, 15:51
Welcome to the site.

As others have said... go around all the m/bike shops and sit on all the 250cc in their range in the shop (Cruisers/sports/tourers/off road) See which bike suits you the best....

There maybe one or two that you will end up tossing up between.
Then when you have got your learners go back and take the bike/s for a test ride....

Once you know which bike you like the best, then start looking at used or new bikes depending on how much money you have to spend.
Taking into account all the bike gear you will need as well.
(Helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and bike pants. Plus also a bike lock to secure it when you are away from the bike)

Thats really the only way to do it.

Good luck in finding the right bike for you.

:ride: :ride: :ride:

Badcat
2nd August 2005, 16:23
hey.
i have a vanvan 200 - and i'm 105 kilos and 6'2
http://www.suzukicycles.org/RV-series/index.html?RV200.shtml~isoraami
it's really roomy - amd more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
pm me if you have questions.

ken

Ixion
2nd August 2005, 16:33
Hi Guys ... just another newbie with a newbie question (it's great to be in your late 30's and still be a newbie)

I am seriously thinking about getting my licence and getting my own bike, and I could really use some advice.

And like most new people could use some advice on which bike. I am not interested in going super quick, in fact the biggest issue is finding a comfortable bike. I am about 6 foot 2 and weigh about 110kg, be interested in what people would recommend as a suitable bike

A mate of mine (Dragon28 on here I think) has a CBX750 and that is really comfortable to sit on

Keem to hear what people have to say

Cheers
Henry

If you have long legs, try some of the trail type bikes. They are really good to learn on, make excellent commuters , and have high seat heights and bars, for long arms and legs.

Yamaha XZT250 , Honda XL250 , DT250 DS250 etc.

SARGE
2nd August 2005, 16:42

you can usually find a good deal on a 2nd hand Hyosung GT250 for about $4k or so. V-Twin, good midrange torque, upright seating and very easy to ride. another good one is the Kawasaki ZR250. both are physically large bikes. dependant on your skill/ experience level, dont know if i would go for the Hornet.. mucho powerful for a 250 (40-ish HP at the rear wheel.)

good luck

SDU
2nd August 2005, 17:09
Welcome Henry

I agree with the others shop around and try out any 250 that makes you :) and fits you comfortably.
Personally I like the VTR250 ( I have a thing for twins) for a road bike. But I like dual sport /trail bikes too.
Having the option to go dirt riding is great fun and when you get your full license you can always keep it for playing off road/ cheap commuter saving the new big bike for blats and trips.
Good on you for learning now- never to old to have fun.
I am a late starter too- didn't start to ride until in my thirties.
I found getting into trail riding has really helped me learn more about handling my bike and I had more experiences in a short time giving me heaps more confidence on road in no time at all. Much more fun to do your falling off on the dirt with a bike that is designed to handle it.
Good luck in the hunt to find a bike that feels right to you.:ride:
Cheers :ride:
SDU

h_cline
2nd August 2005, 21:47
Thanks for the advice .. will definately go and try sitting on a number of different bikes

scumdog
2nd August 2005, 21:57
GN 205's are small, especially with you weight/hight but they are safe and predictable and will leave you time to focus on road position/braking/handling etc, don't dismiss them too quickly eh.

XP@
2nd August 2005, 22:27
Ditto the dirt bike option for the reasons above plus

They are really easy to ride on the road
There are hundreds of kms of gravel and dirt close to you (with some AWESOME scenery, ive ridden a fair bit of it)
Riding on dirt and gravel is good practice for the road
They have enough low end accelleration
They dont have too much top end so getting badly nicked isnt too much of a worry
They are designed to be dropped without doing much damage

If you do go for this option then, for your first set of tyres should not be full on dirt tyres (they can be a bit interesting on a wet road)

Hitcher
2nd August 2005, 22:32
For a taller gent, the VTR250 has already been mentioned. Also good are the 250 Hornet, the 250 Bandit and the mighty Yamaha FZX250 Zeal. Avoid anything with rippling warning lights and the colour pink...

Keystone19
2nd August 2005, 22:55
For a taller gent, the VTR250 has already been mentioned. Also good are the 250 Hornet, the 250 Bandit and the mighty Yamaha FZX250 Zeal. Avoid anything with rippling warning lights and the colour pink...

Wots wrong with pink?

John
3rd August 2005, 00:20
hes just jealous, he really wants a pink steed :)

Hitcher
3rd August 2005, 10:06
Wots wrong with pink?
Sigh... Where do I start?