PDA

View Full Version : Indicator requirements for WOF on older bikes?

gsx750e
24th June 2012, 13:24
Hi everyone,

I have a bike (GSX 750 E, build in 1983) sitting in Europe and want to import it to NZ. I have made some changes to it a few years ago; it is now the only (as far as I know) GSX 750 E with a cafe racer style look to it you'll find anywhere.

Looking into the requirements for motorbikes here in NZ it says that in order to get a WOF a bike made later than 1978 has to have indicators on the rear and front of the bike. How do you guys get a round this? The funny thing is that to get it registered it does not need them...

I do not like the idea of having to add indicators to the front at all.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Arne

jellywrestler
24th June 2012, 13:31
you wont need them on the track but in our country on the road they are used to let other motorists know you intend to turn, quite ingenious really

hayd3n
24th June 2012, 13:53
install emarked indicators for the cert then do what you want . ............. you may get tickets you may not

Subike
24th June 2012, 14:18
me thinks you are going to have a hep of fun getting that road worthy for NZ
indicators, mirrors come to mind immediately,
But it will have to be complianced, and there is where you will have fun for a non standard bike

scumdog
24th June 2012, 14:48
Hmm, a few years ago I had a '81 sportster that had no indicators and showed no sign of ever having any.

A check through the 'rule book' while getting a WOF showed that bikes made before xxxx (can't remember the year) and imported before yyyy (once again can't remember the year!) were not required to have indicators if not fitted with them from new - so I got my WOF.

So a bit of research MAY show a similar 'loop-hole'.

gsx750e
24th June 2012, 15:16
Hmm, a few years ago I had a '81 sportster that had no indicators and showed no sign of ever having any.

A check through the 'rule book' while getting a WOF showed that bikes made before xxxx (can't remember the year) and imported before yyyy (once again can't remember the year!) were not required to have indicators if not fitted with them from new - so I got my WOF.

So a bit of research MAY show a similar 'loop-hole'.

Thanks for the tip: the problem is that it originally did have front indicators. I was just wondering if there is anyone here that has done a similiar thing and is
a) getting away with it
b) not getting away with
c) putting indicators on just for the WOF and takes them of afterwards

To be clear: It does have indicators at the back and it does have mirrors (not on this photo, that's right).

Has anyone had any trouble with putting small, non original indicators on their bikes?

The bike may look very different from the original, but most of the changes are just cosmetic: frame, drive train, brakes etc are all original.

Thanks!

FJRider
24th June 2012, 15:51
you wont need them on the track but in our country on the road they are used to let other motorists know you intend to turn, quite ingenious really

That would work ... if people actually used them :doh:

But the requirement for WoF is working indicators ... front and rear. I have seen some with small white lens fitted (with an orange bulb) that doesn't stand out much.

You can Register a bike with bald tyres on it ... but to Licence it ... it needs to have a current WoF.

carburator
24th June 2012, 19:29
Thanks for the tip: the problem is that it originally did have front indicators. I was just wondering if there is anyone here that has done a similiar thing and is
a) getting away with it
b) not getting away with
c) putting indicators on just for the WOF and takes them of afterwards

To be clear: It does have indicators at the back and it does have mirrors (not on this photo, that's right).

Has anyone had any trouble with putting small, non original indicators on their bikes?

The bike may look very different from the original, but most of the changes are just cosmetic: frame, drive train, brakes etc are all original.

Thanks!

for the first vinning / cert you must have all E MARKED lenses
there is no prescribed distance that the indicators have to be apart, mine
are mini clears on the forks very hard to notice unless working.

the next bike im fitting bar ends that have the indicatior in them, rather
trick yet the bike looks uber clean..

cosmetic changes are fine, since you have the original drive train and brakes
the rule is if the horse power has increased by 20% then brake tests are needed
or installation of the braking system that the motor came from.

removal of indicators is a pink sticker offence. however if you where to have a
acceident and the bike was decleared not roadworthy ( no insurance ) you could
be in the gun more so if your at fault.

98tls
24th June 2012, 19:54
1st up congrats on the bike,love it.Not to sure on the requirement for marked indicators when vinning etc but for the 6 monthly WOF they dont need any markings at all,(contrary to popular belief that is a fact),you just need indicators front and back,you could buy some mini retros which would suit the bike fine,same goes with the mirror (you only need one),a barend mirror like i have would suit the cafe racer look of your bike down to the ground.

98tls
24th June 2012, 20:03
How abouit some more pics of the bike eh?Fwiw on my old TLS it was the indicators that gave me more grief with the powers that be than anything else,i removed all the crap off the backand replaced it all with an undertray complete with led lights/indicators which saw me refused a Wof then rung later with an apology and "bring it down for a wof anytime you like",when i fitted late model Hayabusa calipers there wasnt even a hint of complaint then when i replaced the whole front end with late model GSXR forks and radial calipers that to wasnt a problem.

mossy1200
24th June 2012, 20:28
If the model had indicators stock which it did you will need them. Also number plate light etc. Is that one shaft drive? If its chain you will need chain guard. Also mirror on rt hand side. i think maybe if its going for cert you may need for the headlight to run 100% of the time the bike runs also. Also a reflector on the back and maybe cert stamped brake lines.

These were the smallest indicators e marked I could find.

I think I spotted some bar end weight indicators in led that you wouldnt even know they were there until they flashed.

onearmedbandit
24th June 2012, 20:35
Hi everyone,

I have a bike (GSX 750 E, build in 1983) sitting in Europe and want to import it to NZ. I have made some changes to it a few years ago; it is now the only (as far as I know) GSX 750 E with a cafe racer style look to it you'll find anywhere.

Cheers,

Arne

That is a seriously cool bike. Love it.

98tls
24th June 2012, 20:48
Number plate lights easy as there are almost invisible led units available which are perfectly legal,for reflector i bought a $5 small pushbike one cut it in 1/2 and bingo..passed a wof.

gsx750e
24th June 2012, 21:07
Thanks a lot guys! This forum sure works well!

The handle bar indicator lights are a nice suggestion, thanks. Otherwise the mini clear ones will have to do. A handle bar mirror is also a nice idea, have seen these before and it might be the way to go. The bike has regular ones at the moment (haven't made new ones yet, was the last thing on the to do list, but ran out of time).

Thanks for the compliments, the bike has a few one off parts: fuel tank (Laverda style fyberglass tank with custom made bottom to fit the high frame), seat, rear mount for light and indicator, side covers (steel) and front mud guard (fyberglass). And a few more smaller parts.

I have owned this bike for about 12 years and wanted it to have the cafe racer look without trying to make it look like a 70's bike too much. Kind of a 80's cafe racer with some style. The 'Hayabusha Grey' colour on the fuel tank makes it go faster ;)

Here's a few more pictures.

98tls
24th June 2012, 21:14
:niceone:Outstanding,cheers for the pics its great to see something different,for many there idea of bike modifacations is buying a new helmet,all good and each to there own but as i say outstanding and very refreshing.:niceone:Way cool.

Laava
24th June 2012, 22:08
It will be easy for you to just "borrow" some e-marked indicators [sometimes this might not be checked but not worth messing about with] and after compliance you can do whatever you want. You could easily make some tiny little pods to sit on top of you switch blocks with LEDs in 'em. This would be almost invisible untill they were on. Here is what has been on my bike for about 5yrs. Muffler shrouds and original hand guards. I have since removed all the originals. Plus on one of my projects I simply fitted them into the edge of the number plate. Have never had an issue at WOF time and twice while being ticketed I have been complimented by the cops. Very cheap and easy and is up to your imagination.

gsx750e
25th June 2012, 15:51
Have been doing a little web surfing:

Bar end indicators are also available (do not look great though)

And then there are the mirrors with build in indicators; wonder if these would be deemed legal here...

98tls
25th June 2012, 16:18
They look to modern for your bike,i meant the old school bar-end mirrors as i have,pic fwiw.little mini indicators would look fine on yours,doubt the bar-end ones would pass a wof..

gsx750e
25th June 2012, 18:14
Yeah, the mini indicators would be a good option. Don't know about the bar end mirror yet, don't like the way they stick out. Oh well, I'll think of something. May just put mini indicator on (either on the fork, or back on the frame) just to get it registered first.

Just having fun thinking about all the options. Seems like no one makes bar end mirrors with build in indicators yet... there's a whole market out there!

Laava
26th June 2012, 16:10
Just a wee reminder that bar end indicators require the wires to be routed inside the bars. You have clipons? Just a thought