PDA

View Full Version : Barry Sheen TransTasman Challenge Oct 20.21.22 Hampton Downs

codgyoleracer
24th June 2012, 21:43
Looks like a great event coming up on Labour Weekend at Hampton, for the postie & classic boys.

Barry Sheen Trans-Tasman Challenge a bunch of top riders by sounds of and maybe the best Post Classic bikes & riders ever to be assembled in one point in NZ ?

Whats the gossip on the meeting - and who's coming

Glen

sharky
25th June 2012, 17:32
Yep, sounds awesome eh... Hopefully you will be there to give those Aussies a hurry up:niceone: Apparently Mr Phillis is coming...
The talk at the NZPCRA AGM in the weekend sounded very positive and the club look like they are putting a lot of effort into the meeting.
I will be there for sure.

codgyoleracer
25th June 2012, 20:53
Yep, sounds awesome eh... Hopefully you will be there to give those Aussies a hurry up:niceone: Apparently Mr Phillis is coming...
The talk at the NZPCRA AGM in the weekend sounded very positive and the club look like they are putting a lot of effort into the meeting.
I will be there for sure.

Bloody awesome ! , Hopefully Dave Cole can blag the big Ducati and help me form a mobile chicane :-), - I suspect though it might be a case of "which way did they go" :-)

sidecar bob
26th June 2012, 07:41
From my camp, Tracey will be riding the pink 600 sidecar, she will also be passengering Adrian Haszard on a 750 Triumph powered classic sidecar. I will be on the 1300 Hayabusa outfit with Scrivy, I will also be on my BMW R90s classic sidechair with either Neville Mickleson or Scrivy riding, I will also be riding my BMW R90/6 pre '76 bike in open post classic & hopefully my Katana 1100 pre'82 bike will be at a stage where my as yet un named rider will be able to give it its first run.
Im going to need a wee lie down after that.

Kickaha
26th June 2012, 19:07

Definitely coming for a look, doubt I'll be racing anything this year

Fast Eddie
28th June 2012, 10:45
Definitely coming for a look, doubt I'll be racing anything this year

naw :weep:

ellipsis
28th June 2012, 10:58
...if the gods of fortune smile and my wife agrees with them, the Velo will be there...sounds like a marvelous affair to be involved with...

Kickaha
28th June 2012, 18:11
I will also be riding my BMW R90/6 pre '76 bike in open post classic
Just out of interest how many classes is that bike eligble for? :whistle:

hopefully my Katana 1100 pre'82 bike will be at a stage where my as yet un named rider
I can tell you his name if you like seeing as you seem to have forgotten

driftn
30th June 2012, 14:33
Is this just for Post classic bikes or can late models run also?

jellywrestler
30th June 2012, 14:53
Is this just for Post classic bikes or can late models run also?

The Barry Sheene Trans Tasman Challenge
Incorporating the NZ Classic TT, the NZ Post Classic GP and the
Australasian Sidecar Spectacular
October 20,21,22 – Labour Weekend 2012

The NZCMRR is pleased to announce a new format for our labour weekend meeting. For this year, we have decided to run a joint meeting in association with the NZPCRA – the Post Classic Association and the NZSRA – the NZ Sidecar Racing Association. We have extended an invitation to our Aussie brothers who assure us they will provide a couple of container loads of Aussie bikes and Formula one Sidecars, complete with a bunch of “Stars” to ride them.

Included in the line up could be the likes of Mr Superbike himself – Robbie Phillis, Glen Kelliher, Shaun Giles, Glen Hindle, Rex Wolfenden and a whole lot more to boot. The meeting will be run as the second leg of the Trans Tasman Trophy held annually at the Barry Sheene Festival of Speed at Eastern Creek in late March each year. The trophy has been won once each by Aus and NZ with Aus being the current holders, after they mounted a last minute charge to win by 205 points to 198 in March this year.

The Trans Tasman Challenge is a team event and is open to all comers, with local riders being matched with an opposing team member from the same class with similar lap times.

The event will cover all classes from vintage right through to pre 89 Post Classic along with Classic, Post Classic and Modern Sidecars – We hear there is also the possibility of a 1960 works Zundapp Sidecar getting dragged out for the occasion.

The Event will be a 3 day affair held Saturday, Sunday and Monday with practice and qualifying on Saturday and possibly 1 round of racing. The Post Classic Grand Prix will also be held and as usual, our own NZCMRR TT. We will also, with a bit of luck, manage to squeeze in a few feature races – yet to be determined. Were hopeful there will be plenty of trade stands, displays etc. There will be social functions on Sat and Mon nights and we will be offering psychological help for soundly beaten Australians!

Were optimistic this will become an annual event and as there has been a lot of interest from Australian riders we reckon the competition will be fierce indeed – across all classes – so make sure you and your machine are ready to go for what is shaping up as a cracker.

More details, program, entry forms etc as they come to hand. If you intend booking accommodation, either at Hampton or in the vicinity, do it now – its going fast!

For further details or advertising opportunities contact Robert Cochrane – 06 343 7585.
NEW ZEALAND CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE
RACING REGISTER INC
DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND USE
OF PRE 1976 BRITISH EUROPEAN AND AMERICAN MOTORCYCLES
All correspondence to:
The Secretary
N.Z.C.M.RR
PO Box 11 301
Ellerslie
AUCKLAND 1542
June 7 2012

driftn
30th June 2012, 15:58
I've read this else where, call me stupid but, can I run a modern super bike here?

Kickaha
30th June 2012, 16:01
I've read this else where, call me stupid but, can I run a modern super bike here?

This bit might give you a clue

The event will cover all classes from vintage right through to pre 89 Post Classic along with Classic, Post Classic and Modern Sidecars

sidecar bob
15th July 2012, 20:25
Just out of interest how many classes is that bike eligble for? :whistle:

Virtually everything, including superbikes!!

I can tell you his name if you like seeing as you seem to have forgotten
Thanks for the offer, but we're not quite ready to come out of the closet yet.

Peter Smith
21st July 2012, 21:30
Here is a link to the website.
Entry form are also available (filling in mine now).
See you all there.

http://www.barrysheenetranstasman.co.nz/

DMack
22nd July 2012, 15:40
Cheers for the link Pete, sent my entry in today - now to work on getting some more HP! :chase:

Number One
22nd July 2012, 18:33
Is he related to Charlie?

Peter Smith
24th July 2012, 08:11
Cheers for the link Pete, sent my entry in today - now to work on getting some more HP! :chase:

Bolt in another motor to make it a 1000. lol

DMack
24th July 2012, 09:19
only a 1000? :killingme what happened to the other 300 odd? - however 2x 500's = 8 cylinders....hmmm :crazy:
Gonna be cool fun, cant wait.

codgyoleracer
23rd August 2012, 10:44
Bolt in another motor to make it a 1000. lol

Is there any practice day on Friday Pete ?, i was told no bikes on track ???

Peter Smith
23rd August 2012, 20:22
Is there any practice day on Friday Pete ?, i was told no bikes on track ???

You don't need any practice. 1:10's should be enough. lol
I'll check.

codgyoleracer
23rd August 2012, 22:20
You don't need any practice. 1:10's should be enough. lol
I'll check.

I think you'll find that 4 sec under that might be in the hunt (if were lucky) :-)

markc
24th August 2012, 06:25
It's going to be amazing !

I'll be there on my GPZ550 and also passengering on the no. 306 BSA with Tim.

Why is the classic sidecar race always right after or just before the Pre 82 race ? Bugger. Nothing like jumping from one bike to the next !

Peter Smith
24th August 2012, 08:49
I think you'll find that 4 sec under that might be in the hunt (if were lucky) :-)

Your dreaming lol.
Track is booked Monday to Friday for corprate group.
Sat: practice and qualifying. Sun-Mon: racing.

Nice DUKE in Avatar

rc_36_rider
28th September 2012, 19:32
I can't wait! I'll be there on my FZR400!

WeeHee!!!

roadracingoldfart
2nd October 2012, 21:23

Glen

#9 on the 1100 plus gst is entered from here Glen. Maybe Mr Neil on the Frankencane as well if i have my way . Watch this space.:shutup:

sidecar bob
6th October 2012, 10:21
The Ex Andrew McNab GSX1100 #66 that was on trademe has been re homed & will be getting punted around by a very keen young bloke.

jellywrestler
6th October 2012, 10:29
heard a rumour there's a swapmeet at the Barry Sheene Memorial too, when does it start?

roadracingoldfart
6th October 2012, 19:19
heard a rumour there's a swapmeet at the Barry Sheene Memorial too, when does it start?

You going to swap parts of your body for money again Spyda.

jellywrestler
6th October 2012, 19:32
You going to swap parts of your body for money again Spyda.

nah just rent some bits out. Doubt I'll be at the meeting, very little work means something in the budget has to give....

roadracingoldfart
6th October 2012, 19:37
nah just rent some bits out. Doubt I'll be at the meeting, very little work means something in the budget has to give....

Well im interested in a bit more shiny lights in the garage. Will you travel to paradise up the coast....... i have beeer !!!!

sidecar bob
8th October 2012, 19:34
Just heard from Chris Lawrence. This meeting now has 330 entries!!! is that a record for road racing in NZ?
Spyda, youre our chief historian, can you shed any light on that?

jellywrestler
8th October 2012, 19:52
Just heard from Chris Lawrence. This meeting now has 330 entries!!! is that a record for road racing in NZ?

yep, I checked it out and it's actually spelt Chris Lawrance.

roadracingoldfart
8th October 2012, 21:03
yep, I checked it out and it's actually spelt Chris Lawrance.

Spyda , your a cart full of chuckles .

roadracingoldfart
8th October 2012, 21:05

Hes a chief what ??? only because hes so old.

sidecar bob
9th October 2012, 07:43
Hes a chief what ??? only because hes so old.

He's a bundle of random facts that people either never knew, or promptly forgot. I am constantly amazed at the depth of it all.

jellywrestler
9th October 2012, 08:18
He's a bundle of random facts that people either never knew, or promptly forgot. I am constantly amazed at the depth of it all.

that one was easy Sidecar Bob, it's been in both a huge number of programmes for the last twenty plus years, signwritten on the race truck and his Bro and Father have the same spelling too.

I had a quick look at a couple of programmes last night, the only thing that comes close or exceeds that number is the Pukekohe classics.
It's great that the meeting has drawn out this many and will help make it a success that hopefully will see it a viable event to do again and again

sidecar bob
9th October 2012, 08:56
that one was easy Sidecar Bob, it's been in both a huge number of programmes for the last twenty plus years, signwritten on the race truck and his Bro and Father have the same spelling too.

I had a quick look at a couple of programmes last night, the only thing that comes close or exceeds that number is the Pukekohe classics.
It's great that the meeting has drawn out this many and will help make it a success that hopefully will see it a viable event to do again and again

I wasnt just refering to the Chris Thing, I mean, you can spell Craig "Sherrifs" properly too!!
So what do we have to do to get you commentating sidechairs at the Bazza then??

codgyoleracer
24th October 2012, 07:33
The BSTTC was well worth the effort , the one round of racing lost due to the weather was a shame but hey the racing otherwise was fanatastic to watch in all classes.

The feel of the meeting with the Australian contingent was very different to the norm as well - and added that bit of spice !

Well done to all those behind it for making it happen.

Glen

Atlas
26th October 2012, 08:04
Has anyone got a good photo of the Zundapp kneeler at the meeting?

Voltaire
26th October 2012, 12:56
272259 pretty cool bike, original built in 1959 and then raced at Bathurst in 1960.

nige085
30th October 2012, 19:19
The BSTTC was well worth the effort , the one round of racing lost due to the weather was a shame but hey the racing otherwise was fanatastic to watch in all classes.

The feel of the meeting with the Australian contingent was very different to the norm as well - and added that bit of spice !

Well done to all those behind it for making it happen.

Glen

Well done to you Glen, you where the star of the weekend. Having that dice in the feature race with Robbie was classic even from a distnace back. Hopefully we will come back next year. Cheers for the help too.

Best wishes
Nige Taylor

codgyoleracer
31st October 2012, 18:41
Well done to you Glen, you where the star of the weekend. Having that dice in the feature race with Robbie was classic even from a distnace back. Hopefully we will come back next year. Cheers for the help too.

Best wishes
Nige Taylor

Hi Nige, Yip was a bucket list tick to share the same piece of track with Robbie and of course all of the internationals at the event. Your bike looks stunning in those original race colours, hopefully i get a chance one day to come to your playground in oz :-)

Will Pm those postal details for bits borrowed

Cheers
Glen