PDA

View Full Version : The price for pulling throwing sickies

Andrew
29th December 2003, 20:50
Ok so heres the deal. I get get my ZXR a few months ago and my boss goes all sour on me. He says to me that I have to do a handling skills course. Why does he care? As of next year hes paying my fees for studying, so my boss keeps harping on about not wanting his investment to be written off.

Anyway this was a while ago (4 months maybe?), I've tried to put a handling skills course off cos being a poor student that never goes to work, the course isn't exactly on my list of high priorities.

For months hes been nagging on at me to get this course done and then finally on the last day of work for 2003 he goes all satanic on me. So I told him I've got a course in mind for around Jan 15th. Of course this is all crap, but will keep him happy for the short term.

I really need to get this handling skills course organised because I came off my bike a couple off weeks ago when I took a sick day off! The boss has no idea that I low sided the bike (and thats how it stays CK) so to avoid loosing my sponsorship I need some help.

Does anybody know of any short, cheap, handling skills courses that are in Auckland and will shut my boss up once and for all!

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 22:01
what was that movie called on sky the other day? you know... the one about the con-man who falsifies his whole life? oh, thats right 'Catch me if you can'... might give you some more ideas andrew!!!

Sheesh man.... I've already given you the details of that guy Greg Mcquillan in Massey. 0274 599 933. how many times do you have to be shown how to bait the hook??

P.s. Ross has your best interests at heart despite his seemingly realistic impressions of Satan. do the training for your own sake.. you will almost certainly be pleasently surprised at what you learn.

Antallica
29th December 2003, 22:09
... or my FXR is willing to change owner if you can't handle her ;)

Give that damn thing a clean will ya! .. it's cruel!

wkid_one
30th December 2003, 06:43
Tell him to fuck off....your boss has no rights to demand what you do and don't do in your personal life.

Racey Rider
30th December 2003, 08:08
You should do the "Kiwi Biker Complete Skills course"
I'm sure one of our members would be willing to give you half a days training,(read: just riding round town!), and then give you a certificate of "Kiwi Biker Compotency" for a nominal $10 fee. Ofcourse, part of earning this certifcate, would be being able to show, on demand, the ablelity to slag off at other KB'ers online about their latest riding,, purchuse, or even colour off choosen machinery!
Showing this certifcate to any boss should not only stop their whinning, but necessitate a immediate pay rise! :rolleyes:

James Deuce
30th December 2003, 08:30
$10 fee???

Not likely mate!

Beer or nothing!!!

130wide
30th December 2003, 09:12
Tell your boss to piss off, his your boss not your mother.
I've told my boss that when I go trail bike riding that if i'm not in on Monday I'll probably be in hospital with a broken leg or arm, he's happy with that.

Jackrat
30th December 2003, 09:22
Tell him to fuck off....your boss has no rights to demand what you do and don't do in your personal life.

Personal life maybe not,But the last large company I worked for (BHP), An accident on the way too or from work was classed as a work place accident.
The company tried to discourge using a bike for work transport.Even tho, I and many others didn,t give a shit what the company thought about bikes I have to agree,They had a valid point.I know one thing for sure anybody working for me who told me to get fucked,when I was trying to both save myself and the guy in Question more grief than needed would be working for somebody else real fast.Tell ya, boss to get fucked,Oh yeah how to lose your job in one eazy lesson.

mangell6
30th December 2003, 09:41
Isn't it interesting that the boss is taking an interest in your personal welfare (that statement should get a good response).
So here is the boss insisting that you upskill yourself. :Pokey:
OSH will probably sue him for you falling off on the way to/from work. :lol:

I agree with your boss, everyone falls off or has a near miss at somepoint when riding a bike so it is good to see that someone is interested in upskilling you on how to ride a bike properly.

Mike (waiting for the flame attack)

130wide
30th December 2003, 09:47
Jackrat / Wkid-one
Thats why I used piss off, it's the polite way of saying "fuck-off" and you still get to keep your job.
We've had two guys on push bikes crash on the way to work, these are classed as LTI's one for 3 days went over the handle bars, shoulder injury and the other ran over a bottle came off and the pedal went through his calf 4 weeks.
As I see it, you wouldn't tell guys to do a course on how to ride a push bike, same as a motorbike or a car does everyone have to do a course no matter what they ride or drive to work.

mangell6
30th December 2003, 09:50
the other ran over a bottle came off
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The boss should have sent him to an optomitrist :lol: :lol:

130wide
30th December 2003, 10:26
It was a Lion red subbie, we told him he should've chucked it over his shoulder when finished not out the front for him to ride over. :apint:
It was on his grave yard shift :sleep: and the incident happen on the main road, to work. Shit happens.

wkid_one
30th December 2003, 12:42
For starters - I meant fuck off in the 'Please stay out of my personal life in the nicest possible way' way. I just couldn't be arsed typing it all - but seeing as people take things literally on here, I thought I would clear that up.

I would love to see him try and fire you.....lovely PG claim for unfair dismissal.....

Quite frankly - your employer simply CAN'T discriminate on the basis you ride a motorcycle to work. You are protecting the environment for one, reducing congestion for two, saving the company parking woes for three, at work longer due to less travel time for 4. And for 5 - it has FUCK ALL to do with him.

Unless the company subsidises your bike, or requires you to use the bike for work purposes - they have NO say on your prefered mode of transport.

This is no different than companies PAYING for flu vaccinations - if they want the benefit - they should pay the cost. Sure, you get the benefit from the course, however he is the one demanding it.

I would tell him - if he wants you to do the course - pay for it!!!

Andrew
30th December 2003, 17:05
For starters - I meant fuck off in the 'Please stay out of my personal life in the nicest possible way' way. I just couldn't be arsed typing it all - but seeing as people take things literally on here, I thought I would clear that up.

I would love to see him try and fire you.....lovely PG claim for unfair dismissal.....

Quite frankly - your employer simply CAN'T discriminate on the basis you ride a motorcycle to work. You are protecting the environment for one, reducing congestion for two, saving the company parking woes for three, at work longer due to less travel time for 4. And for 5 - it has FUCK ALL to do with him.

Unless the company subsidises your bike, or requires you to use the bike for work purposes - they have NO say on your prefered mode of transport.

This is no different than companies PAYING for flu vaccinations - if they want the benefit - they should pay the cost. Sure, you get the benefit from the course, however he is the one demanding it.

I would tell him - if he wants you to do the course - pay for it!!!

The thing is, the boss seems to think that he owns my bike. It just so happened that I bought my bike at the time he offered to pay for my education. He seems to figure that the money I would have otherwise saved toward my education by working for him has been spent on my bike. So hes always giving me the wind up about my bike being the companies bike, and he can impound it anytime he wishes. Go figure?? :bash:

Big Dog
31st December 2003, 08:01
I don't pay very well but then I don't confiscate my employees vehicles either. Get a better boss or put him in his place.

(however if he is paying for your education perhaps you need to question whether he is joking around or trying to put you over a barrel.)

I agree with wikid if he is not paying for the course and it was not in your job description / contract he cannot make you.

If you want to make him back down but value your job, ask him which garage he wants you to take your bike to for its servicing and where should they send the bill? His office or home?

What?
31st December 2003, 08:58
(however if he is paying for your education perhaps you need to question whether he is joking around or trying to put you over a barrel.)
Reckon you've hit the nail right on the head Big Dog. It reads like the boss is having a bit of fun with the young feller, who doesn't quite see the joke (no offence if I've got that wrong), whilst actually offering some good advice (i.e. do a skills course).

Coldkiwi
31st December 2003, 10:08
Reckon you've hit the nail right on the head Big Dog. It reads like the boss is having a bit of fun with the young feller, who doesn't quite see the joke (no offence if I've got that wrong), whilst actually offering some good advice (i.e. do a skills course).

I'm glad at least TWO people have grabbed the right end of the stick. What andrew hasn't made particularly clear is that our boss (we work in the same office) is a great one for winding people up for purely entertainment purposes. (as you well know andrew... peer reviewing your dad for the MD ring a bell?) :lol:
He is genuinely concerned for andrew's safety (but possibly can't quite bring himself to say so in such humble words... he's a queenslander) and instead is demanding andrew learn to look after himself through training, with the 'company owns your bike' line being used to make it happen.

p.s. have you booked the damn course yet andrew??

mangell6
31st December 2003, 10:22
" peer reviewing your dad for the MD ring a bell?) :lol: "

:lol: :wacko:

"he's a queenslander"

That would make him close to being a NZ'r as any Aussie ( OI! OI! OI! ) :Pokey: :bigthumb:

Mike

Marmoot
31st December 2003, 12:02
I'd hate people who mess up with me riding as well. :blank:
But, just for a perspective, if he is paying for your tuition fee, there must be a give'n'take situation in the relationship, wouldn't it?
I mean, surely you can't just not care about his feeling while he is trying to do you something good?
I understand that riding is a basic right you have, but in this case you are accepting something from him and you might as well give something back (your ear and time, for example).
B'sides, basic handling skill can be very useful and might just save your life someday. Especially seeing you already have an accident, there is surely something wrong with your riding skill albeit however small it might be, unless it was a "sorry I didn't see you" thing.

Make a distance for a while and try to look at the problem without feeling offended about your riding rights for once. Imagine you are a father talking to a stuborn riding son. You might find it pretty different. ;)

Kwaka-Kid
2nd January 2004, 20:48
Well i see it the same way as CK, and if not anyways, its probably never worth kicking up a fuss about, or at least for some... i like to keep a low profile at work and just come in, sit on KB for 8 hours, oh crap.. erm, work for 8 hours, and then go home, take most flak from boss's etc as jokes... Dont know if it will/does work for you, but i seen many people here in such a big place give the big "Up yours boss, That aint my job, or thats my business" hmm, okay in this case its a little hard to find a perfectly relative example sorta thing, and yours does seem rather outside the workplace sorta thing, but i feel you should just do the course, i mean, in my mind a) its money well spent, even just for a cheap one, and the bonus is its kissin the boss's ass, now i get heaps of flak for this from my fellow workers, just for stayin back another 10mins, or doing stuff outside of my usual duties, however who is the one given time off in real short notice during prime Anual leave time for racing? and requested rostered shifts..well it sure as hell aint the moaners always complaining why they get the shit shifts and about the boss's etc. Oh and i also have an alterrior motive on keeping a low profile-then nobody really knows what i do/have been doing in this new hospital the last 6 months, i.e sitting on KB etc ;) heh heh heh..

Andrew
3rd January 2004, 20:32
Looks like I'll have to be especially nice to my boss now! Where to begin!!

My throttle cable came loose yesterday on a ride to Mangawhai. I tried to fix it and even got the AA involved. The best the AA could come up with was to put the bike in storage until I could find a replacement plastic throttle sleeve.

CK didn't have the passenger seat on the back of his GSXR. BB didn't have any passenger seat foot pegs. Affman didn't have a license which could take passengers. Both my parents were on holiday and out of town for the day. The only way I could get home was to get hold of my boss who has a holiday batch 15mins away. That was the absolute last option for me, seeing my boss while I'm at the peak of my holiday :(.

I didn't exactly enjoy the ride back home. Although I am very grateful to him for picking me up at the drop of a hat. When Rosco (my boss) rescued me at Mangawhai he was in a good mood. However that didn't last long cos the traffic was banked up from North of Puhoi all the way to Orewa.

We were stuck in this gridlock traffic for a good hour. If anybody knows Rosco, then they'll be able to confirm that he gets effected my road rage easily. This just turned him ape shit and being in the car I had nowhere to run. We must have gone past at least 3 crashes, and each time we passed a crash scene he kept drumming into me the importance of going on a handling skills course.

I was extrememly grateful for my boss to come and rescue me. When asked how I could really say thankyou for taking me back he replied. - "Make sure you get booked back into that course, and do it now!!"

That was just a really ironic day. The last person I wanted to see in the whole world took me back home that day. Yet among all he seems to be most concerend about my welfare, even more so than my olds!!

Thanks CK, BB, and Affman for your support that day - you guys were great. A special thanks also to BB and CK for offering to take me back up to Mangawhai now that I have the replacement part.

I learned two imortant lessons that day:

1) Some people have funny ways of showing that they care and actually care a lot more than you think.

2) Kiwibiker's look after each other!
:Punk:

James Deuce
3rd January 2004, 20:49
Good Stuff! And good on the KBers for sticking with you, though I couldn't imagine anyone who participates here leaving ANYONE in the lurch.

Rosco sounds like a "character" ;)

The AA are absolutely bloody hopeless in my book. I used to be a member, but when the refused to come to two bike callouts for me, and one car callout for my wife, I canned my membership.

The bike ones were both flat tyres and all I was asking for was for someone to bring out a can of sealant. The car one my wife had the central locking lock the door as she closed it with the keys in the ignition and the engine running. I had to leave work and perform the sacred rite of entry to a vehicle with only bent #8 fencing wire.

I got a survey form in the mail from the AA and got a very surprised call from the Wellington GM who insisted that those things couldn't possibly have happened. :gob: Nothing like a willing suspension of belief by the stupid to instill confidence. I don't whether it was that or that he was calling me a liar that ticked me off the most.

Bet you anything you like that Rosco is tickled pink that you felt you could call him when you needed help.

Happy New Year. :)

Jim2

MikeL
3rd January 2004, 20:58
Andrew
Sorry to hear about your troubles. It must be pretty unusual to have 3 other bikes on a trip and not one able to take a pillion. Pity I didn't know about your ride - there would have been plenty of room on the back of the GSX.
As for your boss insisting on a skills course - why not do the next Track Time at Pukekohe (1st Feb)?? Rosco could probably even be persuaded to pay for it... :bigthumb:

Coldkiwi
3rd January 2004, 21:28
hehe, if only mike! Ross is generous but not stupid! :D

Kwaka-Kid
6th January 2004, 09:40
bugger andrew, and why didnt you tell me? i talked to FF about it and was gunna ring you, only to realise i didnt have nobodys numbers!! :@if i hada come on vfr we cuda doubled, or if i hada come on the GS1000 it carries a spare throttle cable, a whole workshop of tools, and other misc bits like 8x spark plugs, some caps, erm, yeah the list goes on, that baby is made to be worked on every hour of riding :P

Hitcher
6th January 2004, 10:06
Don't knock advanced handling skills courses. I have yet to meet a biker who knows it all (although there are a lot who think they do) or couldn't ride better. At best a refresher will sharpen your basic skills -- high-speed braking is always good fun in a controlled environment. You'll also learn lots of stuff from the other bikers on the course. It's my personal objective to do one of these courses every couple of years just to keep the axe sharp.
If my boss was prepared to pay for an advanced riding skills course I'd jump at the opportunity.
:2thumbsup

wkid_one
6th January 2004, 10:48
CK didn't have the passenger seat on the back of his GSXR. BB didn't have any passenger seat foot pegs. Affman didn't have a license which could take passengers. Both my parents were on holiday and out of town for the day. The only way I could get home was to get hold of my boss who has a holiday batch 15mins away. That was the absolute last option for me, seeing my boss while I'm at the peak of my holiday :(.

:

Ummm.... I would have risked the license with Affman - odds are you could have talked a cop out of that one given the extenuating circumstances and fact you were being responsible.

BlueR1
6th January 2004, 11:18
I agree with Wkid one on this topic, your boss is your boss not your personal manager, although on the other hand its nice to have a boss that cares if you live or die! If I was you I think Id tell him you are happy to do the riding course on the condition that he organises and pays for it, that way both of yous win, You do the course at no cost or hassel to you while also getting him off your back at the same time, and who knows mabbe one day down the track you might be grateful of the extra skills?
Bad luck about having to call your boss out I too would have taken the risk and tried to talk the cop around if it had come to that, mind you I was riding around on a 900ss and a R1 since having a Learners licence, :eek:

Wellyman
6th January 2004, 11:24
Hey everbody just a little reminder to try and not use the language on the site because younger members and family may view this website and don't wish to see offensive language written everwhere! But apart from that keep posting !

:rockon:

wkid_one
6th January 2004, 12:08
I agree with Wkid one on this topic,

Jeez (NB: tamed down as per NZ CFR's post)- this seems to be a trend - what is happening to me if people are agreeing with my posts. This is like the 4th time someone has said that.......... :crazy: :crazy: :baby:

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 16:11
Jeez (NB: tamed down as per NZ CFR's post)- this seems to be a trend - what is h :bleh: :bleh: appening to me if people are agreeing with my posts. This is like the 4th time someone has said that.......... :crazy: :crazy: :baby:
I agree :lol: :wacko: :bleh:

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 02:31
Ok so heres the deal. I get get my ZXR a few months ago and my boss goes all sour on me. He says to me that I have to do a handling skills course. Why does he care? As of next year hes paying my fees for studying, so my boss keeps harping on about not wanting his investment to be written off.

Anyway this was a while ago (4 months maybe?), I've tried to put a handling skills course off cos being a poor student that never goes to work, the course isn't exactly on my list of high priorities.

For months hes been nagging on at me to get this course done and then finally on the last day of work for 2003 he goes all satanic on me. So I told him I've got a course in mind for around Jan 15th. Of course this is all crap, but will keep him happy for the short term.

I really need to get this handling skills course organised because I came off my bike a couple off weeks ago when I took a sick day off! The boss has no idea that I low sided the bike (and thats how it stays CK) so to avoid loosing my sponsorship I need some help.

Does anybody know of any short, cheap, handling skills courses that are in Auckland and will shut my boss up once and for all!

And if my boss told me that shite I know the answer he'd get and he would not like it either...