PDA

View Full Version : Mini lathes & mini mills

Padmei
2nd July 2012, 19:37
Been tempted to acquire a small lathe to do bits & pieces. Any of you guys have one & where did you get it? I haven't seen any on trademe that look ok & aren't thousands of dollars.
harbour freight in the States seem to have a few so we should have some distributors over here.

here's a really ggod website i've found that explains the basics to a noob as myself.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm

I'm only looking at less than $500 cos i'd only use it a few times a year.

The Lone Rider
2nd July 2012, 19:49
At $500 or less... my opinion is don't bother looking.

You won't get one.

Fast Eddie
2nd July 2012, 20:10
it did say on that website, ones could be had from 500 - 800 bucks.. US greenbacks I'm sure, and that site looks mighty old..

Ocean1
2nd July 2012, 20:34
There's no advantage in small machine tools unless you're a jeweller.

There's a couple on TM worth owning.

These were used in schools, good honest machine: http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/lathes-accessories/auction-488255038.htm

About as small as I'd bother with: http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/lathes-accessories/auction-489124391.htm

Solid, be OK if the bed's not too worn: http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/lathes-accessories/auction-489863039.htm

Wouldn't bother with any of the Chinese stuff on the new market unless you really know what you're looking at.

Padmei
2nd July 2012, 20:35
Yeah fair enough. i thought I'd throw it out there in case someone had an inside deal on one that dropped off the deck of a cargo boat. Looking at the price of tools etc on Tme it wouldn't be worth my while but always good to have more & more toys:yes:

bogan
2nd July 2012, 20:40
Wouldn't bother with any of the Chinese stuff on the new market unless you really know what you're looking at.

I know a few people who have had good results from the machinery house (https://machineryhouse.co.nz/L682D#) stuff, made in taiwan, straight copies of the tried and true designs already around.

Anything new, I wouldn't look at anything less than 3k, cheap comes at a price!

roadracingoldfart
2nd July 2012, 20:42
Been tempted to acquire a small lathe to do bits & pieces. Any of you guys have one & where did you get it? I haven't seen any on trademe that look ok & aren't thousands of dollars.
harbour freight in the States seem to have a few so we should have some distributors over here.

here's a really ggod website i've found that explains the basics to a noob as myself.

Sorry but those are far from Mini , Mini fits in a briefcase.

Woodman
2nd July 2012, 20:44
Pop into Opel on quarantine road, they may have a second hand one.

Ocean1 is right about the small ones, although you can do a bit on them you can do the same on a big one whereas you can't do big stuff on a small one.

Mine is pretty worn and small, but it was free.:woohoo:

Ocean1
2nd July 2012, 20:52
I know a few people who have had good results from the machinery house (https://machineryhouse.co.nz/L682D#) stuff, made in taiwan, straight copies of the tried and true designs already around.

Taiwan stuff can be good. Chinese stuff can be too. Can you tell is the bed's SG iron or grey iron by looking at it? Because you can buy machines out of different Chinese factories that are marketed as the same, and unless you know your shit you'll be wasting your money.

Anything new, I wouldn't look at anything less than 3k, cheap comes at a price!

I haven't seen anything new I'd own of any size for under $16k, but I make my living with them.

carburator
2nd July 2012, 20:53
Meh..

Cost vs production..

I must admit its handy to have a lathe sitting there my old one cost 2k
( little myford geared head only done woodwork ) it owes me nothing now.

don't waste your time with a benchtop as they simply are toys.

for the odd bush or spacer you might whip up a machineshop would
be better and stock the material you need too..

bogan
2nd July 2012, 21:01
Taiwan stuff can be good. Chinese stuff can be too. Can you tell is the bed's SG iron or grey iron by looking at it? Because you can buy machines out of different Chinese factories that are marketed as the same, and unless you know your shit you'll be wasting your money.

I haven't seen anything new I'd own of any size for under $16k, but I make my living with them.

Can't tell what the metal is, and internet ordering makes it a bit hard to see from here!

Yeh, no question that bigger money is better machinery, but I'm betting on the one I linked to being good enough for hobby and small buisness. I've got a mate who got the previous model and is happy with it, and the workshop at massey uses the same brand for a turret mill and drill press, and are happy enough with them. They do reckon you gotta clean out any leftover swarf from manufacture, and check all the bolts though.

Ocean1
2nd July 2012, 21:08
Can't tell what the metal is,

I can :shifty:

Yeh, no question that bigger money is better machinery, but I'm betting on the one I linked to being good enough for hobby and small buisness. I've got a mate who got the previous model and is happy with it, and the workshop at massey uses the same brand for a turret mill and drill press, and are happy enough with them. They do reckon you gotta clean out any leftover swarf from manufacture, and check all the bolts though.

All true. I've cleaned a cupfull of CI swarf out of the apron gearbox of one very like that. Best advice I can give is if you want one for home then get first get someone who knows their shit to look it over, and then take a couple of evenings to strip and clean everything except the headstock.

bogan
2nd July 2012, 21:14
I can :shifty:

All true. I've cleaned a cupfull of CI swarf out of the apron gearbox of one very like that. Best advice I can give is if you want one for home then get first get someone who knows their shit to look it over, and then take a couple of evenings to strip and clean everything except the headstock.

Plan B then, if my lathe (I'll be ordering that one later this week) shits itself, go work for Ocean1 on his fancy ones instead :bleh:

How about those Lathe-Mill combo units then? I was considering one a while ago, but the guys had shocking customer service, which put me off; also, it was 200kg lighter than an equivalent sized lathe only and I wonder what the hell was missing :blink:

Ocean1
2nd July 2012, 21:30
Plan B then, if my lathe (I'll be ordering that one later this week) shits itself, go work for Ocean1 on his fancy ones instead :bleh:

How about those Lathe-Mill combo units then? I was considering one a while ago, but the guys had shocking customer service, which put me off; also, it was 200kg lighter than an equivalent sized lathe only and I wonder what the hell was missing :blink:

Only used one of the old maximat combo machines, comparitively high overhang, wasn't really rigid enough for anything more than work on alloy or plastic.

I actually have a lathe not dissimilar to that one, even as a #2 machine it's not up to what I need for day to day stuff, it's what I've got for now but I'm in the market for a replacement.

And yes, mass is king in a machine tool. Over a certain size clearances that would be fatal in a small machine don't matter because the tool loading isn't enough to move the saddle/table around anyway.

carburator
2nd July 2012, 21:31

Ok im interested in this how can you tell the difference between a SG iron or grey iron bed?
most of the chink stuff is not induction harden sideways like the colchesters where or maybe thats
just a myth about the place..

Ocean1
2nd July 2012, 21:39
Ok im interested in this how can you tell the difference between a SG iron or grey iron bed?
most of the chink stuff is not induction harden sideways like the colchesters where or maybe thats
just a myth about the place..

Without the owner getting all bent out of shape? On a new machine you can get a good idea by just wiping your finger over a machined but out-of-the-way surface. Grey CI,(especially most of the shit out of China) has a lot more free carbon which gets left on the surface by the machining.

Of course you could ask the vendor for a traceable standards materials compliance cert. Or a sample you can test...

F5 Dave
2nd July 2012, 22:42

for a few times a year it just isn't worth it. On the other hand I bought my 1950 Sheldon about 4 years ago for $500. Its old & worn & there's no way I can make anything seriously accurate or complex on it, but that suits my ability perfectly. Complex is a paid job sub'd out to an engineer.

Tooling is old sc. . .no I'm not going to use that lame term. Lets just say they did things a little differently. Some would turn thier nose up, but its a level for 80-90% of what I want done.

Now I don't know what I'd do without it. Spacer? Hmm, here's some stock offcut or maybe this would work if it was thinner, or needs opening etc etc. Bit more? try, bit more? Sorted.

Fuck its useful.

But you'll find your self spending a little on stock ally & plastic & some cutting stuff & a set of large drillbits.

BIG DOUG
3rd July 2012, 19:14
I would go bigger,mine was a shop floor model and near new and I paid $1300.00 for it ,you say you will only use it a few times a year but once you get one it becomes quite addictive and rewarding to make you own shit, if mine shit itself tomorrow I would beg or borrow the money and have a new one by the end of the week.

Willdat?
10th July 2012, 01:50

Or if you've got any jobs you want to do give me a PM/text and I'll let you have a play... :yes:

Padmei
10th July 2012, 07:23
Or if you've got any jobs you want to do give me a PM/text and I'll let you have a play... :yes:

Now there's a great offer. Thanks Will.