PDA

View Full Version : South Island on a budget

3rd July 2012, 08:50
Hi All

So I was thinking of doing a 10-12 day tour of South Island on the bike over Xmas. My question is not where to go, as I have a fair idea of where I want to go, but more, can it be done on next to no budget? Ok, ferry crossing and petrol aside, I am thinking food and accomodation? I am happy to stay under the tent, and live on bare essentials, (no restaurants or expensive hotels) camping grounds or back packers only.

So my question is: Taking into account 10-12 days, and wanting to see as much of SI as possible, what would be a realistic budget? 4 years ago me and the wife did it on a $1500 riding 8 days. Staying mainly in back packers and going out for occasional meal at a restaurant etc. this time I am doing it solo and don't mind the bare essentials.

Any suggestions?

jellywrestler
3rd July 2012, 09:05
Hi All

So I was thinking of doing a 10-12 day tour of South Island on the bike over Xmas. My question is not where to go, as I have a fair idea of where I want to go, but more, can it be done on next to no budget? Ok, ferry crossing and petrol aside, I am thinking food and accomodation? I am happy to stay under the tent, and live on bare essentials, (no restaurants or expensive hotels) camping grounds or back packers only.

So my question is: Taking into account 10-12 days, and wanting to see as much of SI as possible, what would be a realistic budget? 4 years ago me and the wife did it on a $1500 riding 8 days. Staying mainly in back packers and going out for occasional meal at a restaurant etc. this time I am doing it solo and don't mind the bare essentials.

Any suggestions?

leave the wife behind, that'll save a fortune

3rd July 2012, 09:11

That has already been established :laugh:

PrincessBandit
3rd July 2012, 09:17
We're looking at doing the same bat-thing, same bat-time, same bat-channel although taking more like 2 -3 weeks.
Will watch this thread with interest as it may yield some further helpful info for us. cheers.

unstuck
3rd July 2012, 09:31
My brother has some awesome camping spots on his land at franz josef if you are staying in that area at all. Heaps of places to camp around the south island, sometimes you may have to travel off the beaten track a little.;)

Rosie
3rd July 2012, 09:34
If you really want to go basic - being self contained, staying in DoC (or similar) campsites and sorting all your own food will save a lot of money. It does mean carrying a bit more stuff, and being a little bit organised with your supermarket trips, but you end up staying in some really cool places. Some small towns will have a basic camping area attached to their rugby ground or community hall where you can camp for a very reasonable price too. The cost of Backpackers and Holiday Parks does add up - save them for when you need to do your washing.

When you do want to splash out - country pubs in out of the way places can sometimes be really good value; we stayed at the Clarke's Junction Hotel a couple of years ago for $20 each, including linen and towels.

Rosie. (The camping-and-cooking evangelist :facepalm:)

unstuck
3rd July 2012, 09:37
If you go as far south as jacksons bay(cant go much further anyway) make sure you have your own food, otherwise you may have to sell your bike for a feed of fish and chips.:yes:

skippa1
3rd July 2012, 09:40
Kiakoura, Nelson and Tasman all allow freedom camping. Stop and pitch your tent stuff. It doesnt get cheaper than that:yes:

3rd July 2012, 09:43
If you really want to go basic - being self contained, staying in DoC (or similar) campsites and sorting all your own food will save a lot of money. It does mean carrying a bit more stuff, and being a little bit organised with your supermarket trips, but you end up staying in some really cool places. Some small towns will have a basic camping area attached to their rugby ground or community hall where you can camp for a very reasonable price too. The cost of Backpackers and Holiday Parks does add up - save them for when you need to do your washing.

When you do want to splash out - country pubs in out of the way places can sometimes be really good value; we stayed at the Clarke's Junction Hotel a couple of years ago for $20 each, including linen and towels.

Rosie. (The camping-and-cooking evangelist :facepalm:)

Yes, DOC land is a good idea. Keep in mind I will not be riding ADV bike, Road bike, so am wee bit limited on some of the places, but don't mind gravel etc. I can pack light as far as clothes are concerned and only take what I need. This will leave more room for extra food supplies etc. Also going solo, means I can take on more luggage on the biike. My only requirement is that where ever i stay, I want it to be a safe place to park my bike over night. Hence would preffer camping ground as oppose to wild on side of the road, but hey, it can make for a cool adventure. hehe. As for food, yes, I agree every other day roll up to supermarket, and only buy things like milk or eggs etc when needed. Happy to survive on can and dry food too. Also don't mind to splash out once on a luxury meal (ie pub cooked meal) But my whole point is to do it on bare minimum budget so open to anything "safe" really

Rosie
3rd July 2012, 09:58
Yes, DOC land is a good idea. Keep in mind I will not be riding ADV bike, Road bike, so am wee bit limited on some of the places, but don't mind gravel etc. I can pack light as far as clothes are concerned and only take what I need. This will leave more room for extra food supplies etc. Also going solo, means I can take on more luggage on the biike. My only requirement is that where ever i stay, I want it to be a safe place to park my bike over night. Hence would preffer camping ground as oppose to wild on side of the road, but hey, it can make for a cool adventure. hehe. As for food, yes, I agree every other day roll up to supermarket, and only buy things like milk or eggs etc when needed. Happy to survive on can and dry food too. Also don't mind to splash out once on a luxury meal (ie pub cooked meal) But my whole point is to do it on bare minimum budget so open to anything "safe" really

Quite a lot of DOC camps (even the free ones) are on (or not far from) sealed roads. We also do a lot of freedom camping, but that isn't so easy on a road bike.
We've got an alarmed cable lock for the bikes, which we can feed around one of the tent poles if we want to be really paranoid. Personally I'm more nervous about my bike being parked in a backpackers carpark in town, compared to a campsite in the middle of nowhere.
Carrying liquid milk (or anything that needs refrigeration) is a PITA, better to go with powdered (just make sure you get the proportions right). You can make some pretty good meals out of canned and dried things (well, I can... presumably you could too).

neels
3rd July 2012, 11:03
There are plenty of cheap places to stay if you aim for the less expensive camping grounds in smaller places, or as previously posted if you know the route you're taking have a look at the DOC website to see what there is along the way.

For instance, places like this....http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/conservation-campsites-by-region/canterbury/north-canterbury-and-arthurs-pass/craigieburn-shelter/

3rd July 2012, 11:09
There are plenty of cheap places to stay if you aim for the less expensive camping grounds in smaller places, or as previously posted if you know the route you're taking have a look at the DOC website to see what there is along the way.

For instance, places like this....http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/conservation-campsites-by-region/canterbury/north-canterbury-and-arthurs-pass/craigieburn-shelter/

That is what I am talking about. In the next couple of days I will post my initial map of proposed route and see if anyone can recommend anything along the route. I can fine tune it as I get closer to the departure date

Maha
3rd July 2012, 11:14
Kiakoura, Nelson and Tasman all allow freedom camping. Stop and pitch your tent stuff. It doesnt get cheaper than that:yes:

I understand that you need at least 15 bottles of insect repellant whilst freedom camping at the top of the SI?

Rosie
3rd July 2012, 11:20
That is what I am talking about. In the next couple of days I will post my initial map of proposed route and see if anyone can recommend anything along the route. I can fine tune it as I get closer to the departure date

Ya got a GPS? I've got waypoints for all the DoC campsites in the country. Colour-coded by price :facepalm:

skippa1
3rd July 2012, 11:22
I understand that you need at least 15 bottles of insect repellant whilst freedom camping at the top of the SI?

only if you camp next to the little piles of poo left by the freedom camping germans:sick:

3rd July 2012, 11:31
Ya got a GPS? I've got waypoints for all the DoC campsites in the country. Colour-coded by price :facepalm:

As long as there is no purple I can live with it :shifty:

puddytat
3rd July 2012, 13:12
You'll definitely need some insect repellant....sandflies morning & evening & down the Coast knarly mosquitoes do the night shift.
Tis a bit of an off fuck when yer having a feed & are surrounded by the bastards, but a supply of HTFU pills will help:yes:
Take up unstucks offer about Franz, or try the Okarito DOC camp ground for a view of about 200km of Alps...
Small towns or villages I reckon you'll have little need to worry about the security of your stuff....the losers there have generally moved to brighter lights...or the locals help them on thier way.

duckonin
3rd July 2012, 13:40
only if you camp next to the little piles of poo left by the freedom camping germans:sick:

Been watching them have u ?:facepalm: And you know they were 'Germans'?:yes:, Maybe friends of yours then ?:yes:.. May well of been bad speaking Kiwis, they are good at what you describe also..:weep:
A small colemans hand shovel ideal for the little jobs. ;)

skippa1
3rd July 2012, 14:03
May well of been bad speaking Kiwis, they are good at what you describe also..:weep:

you been camping around there have you?:nya:

Scotty595
3rd July 2012, 14:37
Hi All

Any suggestions?

Had some mates do it over last christmas/new years (somewhere between 10-15 days round trip from Auckland), looking at doing it again this year.

Think total was about $2k per bike, excluding service/tyres. Staying in cheapish motels most of the time, 3 days in queenstown over new years, and vodka for warmth.

3rd July 2012, 15:21
Had some mates do it over last christmas/new years (somewhere between 10-15 days round trip from Auckland), looking at doing it again this year.

Think total was about $2k per bike, excluding service/tyres. Staying in cheapish motels most of the time, 3 days in queenstown over new years, and vodka for warmth.

3 days in Queenstown can certainly make $$$ dissapear no matter what budget one is on :laugh:

Scotty595
3rd July 2012, 15:25
3 days in Queenstown can certainly make $$$ dissapear no matter what budget one is on :laugh:

Yeah, I think they could have easily dropped $500+ off the price by reducing the Jager/Vodka intake and missing Queenstown.

The Lone Rider
3rd July 2012, 15:28
Christchurch, to Gore and back cost me about $200 in petrol roughly.

So budget for that!

Squiggles
3rd July 2012, 15:39
Join a club/organisation like BRONZ, the ferry discount pays back the membership fee a couple of times over iirc

3rd July 2012, 15:55
Join a club/organisation like BRONZ, the ferry discount pays back the membership fee a couple of times over iirc

I get a discount on ferry crossings through work since we have an ongoing account and use their service on weekly basis for our trucks

Coldrider
3rd July 2012, 23:20
Google ahead to find where cheapo acommadation is lurking, saves wasting a few hours each day looking for a bargain instead of enjoying the break. Most towns and localities have bunkrooms or backpackers (not all backpackers are actually cheap).

4th July 2012, 15:18
Ok. So the initial rout is:

Hamilton - Wellington - Picton - Nelson - Takaka - Murchison - Wesport - Karamea - back down to Hokitika - Franz Joseph - Haast - Milford Sound - Wanaka - Queenstown - Invercvargill / Bluff - Dunedin - Mt Cook - Tekapo - Hanmer Springs - St Aurnard - Kaikoura - Picton - Hamilton

Is there anything else along the proposed route I should see? Keep in mind I am allowing 12 - 15 days

And I am happy doing long days in the saddle

Also Invercargill / Bluff - Dunedin part is subject to time avaliability, but would really like to see these as I have not been this far down before

FJRider
4th July 2012, 17:06

Don't be stupid ... that would mean HE does the cooking/dishes ... :lol:

Work out what distance you intend to travel. What km's/litre fuel it averages now ... to give a reasonable idea of fuel costs. REMEMBER ... the south island has lots of places where fuel prices are very high. (Haast, Arthurs pass, Queenstown, Karamea, Akaroa) and as usual ... any one horse town.
Takeaway food is expensive ... so visit ... KB friends/realitives/other friends on a regular basis (at meal times) Small gas cookers will be good for quick meals (breaky/lunch/coffee)
Freedom camping is allowed in most areas ... away from the main towns/citys. Plenty of good places to camp. Best to ask for good places in pubs/shops in the area you are looking to camp. Some country pubs will let you camp in the paddock out back. Or their back lawn. ASK ...

FJRider
4th July 2012, 17:14
Is there anything else along the proposed route I should see? Keep in mind I am allowing 12 - 15 days

And I am happy doing long days in the saddle

Also Invercargill / Bluff - Dunedin part is subject to time avaliability, but would really like to see these as I have not been this far down before

Google "Southern Senic Route" ... and if its raining in Te Anau, it will be WORSE in Milford. (Milfords annual rainfall is 9 metres)

FJRider
4th July 2012, 17:17

Visit but DONT stay there and you'll be fine. A ride up the lake to Glenorchy is worth the effort.

FJRider
4th July 2012, 17:19
Been watching them have u ?:facepalm: And you know they were 'Germans'?:yes:, Maybe friends of yours then ?:yes:.. May well of been bad speaking Kiwis, they are good at what you describe also..:weep:
A small colemans hand shovel ideal for the little jobs. ;)

He could tell by the taste ... :crazy:

Gremlin
4th July 2012, 17:38
Here's a starter: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=Picton,+Marlborough&daddr=Nelson+to:Takaka,+Tasman+to:Saint+Arnaud,+Ta sman+to:Murchison,+Tasman+to:Westport+new+zealand+ to:Karamea,+West+Coast+to:Hokitika,+West+Coast+to: Westwood+Lodge+Bed+%26+Breakfast+Franz+Josef+Accom modation,+Westwood+Lodge+Bed+%26+Breakfast+Franz+J osef+Accommodation,+State+Highway+6,+Westland+Nati onal+Park,,+Franz+Josef,+West+Coast,+New+Zealand,+ Franz+Josef+7856+to:Haast,+West+Coast+to:Wanaka,+O tago+to:Milford+Sound,+Southland+to:-45.55273,167.62619+to:-46.30795,167.74507+to:Invercargill,+Southland+to:-46.5866389,169.2454712+to:Dunedin,+Otago+to:-45.45641,170.12823+to:-45.17791,170.39519+to:Mount+Cook+Rd%2FState+Highwa y+80+to:Tekapo,+Canterbury+to:-43.52091,171.83391+to:-43.30755,172.42777+to:Hanmer+Springs,+Canterbury+t o:Kaikoura,+Canterbury&hl=en&ll=-43.897892,173.594971&spn=7.32286,16.907959&sll=-43.477837,172.400208&sspn=0.921784,2.113495&geocode=FZ_0if0dbAtfCikFONSk6iY5bTFgoXmEhu8ABQ%3BF ZhCiv0dfRpUCil9LreRxOw7bTGApJbniO8ACg%3BFRi4j_0drs 9MCimbYu0hFYg8bTHQsXmEhu8ABQ%3BFaYigv0dsGpNCimfGHC uc1M6bTHg0XmEhu8ABQ%3BFQ4ugv0ddJpFCinTuTVnB846bTGw kXmEhu8ABQ%3BFWbggv0dgn86Cin1KwlDyGwlbTHQw3mEhu8AB Q%3BFWyciv0dfzZCCikdYMacirMkbTHQfHmEhu8ABQ%3BFUcvd P0dD74wCilzv0UQFzsvbTGAd3mEhu8ABQ%3BFScpav0dF8QkCi HbOe3-z3vOBSklQSTalNUrbTHbOe3-z3vOBQ%3BFW1tYv0dBWITCilnm9hsJZ3VbDHQcnmEhu8ABQ%3B Fcn6Vf0dor0UCilvLey5HUbVqTHgwXmEhu8ABQ%3BFXddVv0dd VcCCil18X88vwvWqTGgjnmEhu8ABQ%3BFabrSP0dzsX9CSn1pc 956ffTqTFQhURMhu8AEw%3BFZJlPf0dLpb_CSmlW8k6klDSqTE Q4o1Mhu8AEw%3BFX3KO_0d7d8ICinXaRSslMTSqTEgpJbniO8A Cg%3BFfIkOf0dH3sWCikZhr0urA0tqDGAkZBMhu8AEw%3BFRjy Q_0djqopCik9UV8P4OQrqDFBmXmEhu8ABQ%3BFeZjSv0dZvMjC il3X75ZxL8rqDHALURMhu8AEw%3BFcqjTv0dNgYoCikXtOkVGD MqqDEQYBMGiu8AEw%3BFXTOYv0d86kjCg%3BFXljYv0dfB8qCi n_rOBco5krbTGwotlfsRWAsA%3BFXLsZ_0dNvo9CimvIvLvCt8 tbTFxVjtMhu8AEw%3BFeIta_0d-glHCik1sLVc0ugxbTFBxThMhu8AEw%3BFd0Zd_0dmShNCilHWV RveWMwbTHwc3mEhu8ABQ%3BFc8Def0d6ipaCil1fJE0OiA6bTE 2mXmEhu8ABQ&oq=mt+cook&mra=dpe&mrsp=22&sz=10&via=12,13,15,17,18,21,22&t=m&z=7

Careful of the ridiculously long length of the URL... It's probably the most efficient while being interesting route through the points. If you don't mind gravel I'd suggest a pass like Danseys, as it's not that hard... a mate on a CB900 followed me through stuff like Rainbow, much to the amusement of some overseas tourists on BMWs. You're limited by your craziness...

Be warned though... I keep going back every year to do some more... it's not the place where you go once and do some of the roads... you should be doing them all :D

Ocean1
4th July 2012, 19:01
I can recommend Tuapeka West rd, between (roughly) Lawrence and Balclutha.

Just, y'know, if it fits.