PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Lights and Cars!

FEINT
3rd August 2005, 01:06
Traffic Lights and Cars:

Any of you had any problems with cars when you split / filter to the front of the queue at a set of traffic lights? Any of them tried blocking / dragging / squeezing you off the road?

I just don't understand why they have such a problem with bikes and splitting? After all, come the next queue you are GONE and he is still waiting!

I had it happen to me twice today and just a wee bit curious as to your experiences!

Artifice
3rd August 2005, 01:24
havent had em try anything on. i have had the odd northlander swear at me as i filtered past 100 odd cars backed up for road works... get to the front and they let me go through... coool as i had a clear road for the next 30 mins.

justsomeguy
3rd August 2005, 01:24
Yup it does happen, this is Auckland after all..... the drivers have their reputation to uphold:wait:

Gremlin
3rd August 2005, 02:38
smoke em, well, as much as the zzr can manage, but I do that at every light, I can't help it when I am in front. I watch the lights like a hawk :devil2:

Once I did try to race off the line so I could get into the left hand lane to turn left, but as I was belting along, there was a holden just behind me, so I couldn't move across.

Next set of lights I was slightly ahead and they went red. Instantly on the brakes and he roars ahead. I think: Whatever mate, you ran the red, and I am not trying to race. Got a bit of a surprise when crossing the intersection he moved into my lane :rofl:

Reckon he and I were both trying to do the same thing, yet reversed.

Have had one car load of hoons sorta cheer (wasn't hanging around, after all, I had to get to the front of the queue). Other than that, I don't wait around to find out, I just go :Punk:

sAsLEX
3rd August 2005, 08:37
I watch the lights like a hawk :devil2:

should keep a solid eye peeled on the traffic coming in from the sides as well

Sniper
3rd August 2005, 08:39
Keep an eye on the buggers, alot of them hate it when you get in front. Its a subconcious thing, like you ever notice that when someone overtakes you, you want to keep up with them?

Flyingpony
3rd August 2005, 08:48
Never encountered any problems.

Death 'N' Taxes
3rd August 2005, 08:55
I've had a couple of experiences.

Yesterday I was splitting down Gillies Ave to the on ramp, saw a guy look at me in the rear vision mirror, then try to close the gap. Didn't do anything that time though. Concentrating on trying to make it through rather than retaliation.

A few months ago, a guy took offence to me overtaking on the right on Gillies Ave (where it is single lane but as wide as two lanes) so he then tried to overtake me on the inside. I just took a big open hand swipe at his wing mirror. He wasn't happy, but I couldn't understand what he was saying as his English wasn't very good (Asian guy).

Oh - and one other twat, when I lane split to the front of a queue, as soon as the lights turned green and I started to pull away, the guy mashed his horn. Obviously too much of a pussy to say something while we were stationary. Again - I just took off to show him that he wouldn't be able to keep up anyway.

SARGE
3rd August 2005, 08:59
Traffic Lights and Cars:

Any of you had any problems with cars when you split / filter to the front of the queue at a set of traffic lights? Any of them tried blocking / dragging / squeezing you off the road?

I just don't understand why they have such a problem with bikes and splitting? After all, come the next queue you are GONE and he is still waiting!

I had it happen to me twice today and just a wee bit curious as to your experiences!

i wear a set of Ikon Titanium gloves and Fox Tracker MX boots for just this occasion :finger: :kick:

zadok
3rd August 2005, 09:28
Haven't had a problem (touch wood). Since getting the new bike, which is bigger and wider, I don't lane split so much. Maybe it's psychological, but I make sure the gap is wide enough to my liking.

bugjuice
3rd August 2005, 09:41
most of the lights I filter to, I know the sequence. That helps a lot. Then if I get some dick at the front, which happens a few times, then I just anticipate the green light and nail 'em. But just before the light is about to go green, have a quick sweeping look at the traffic that's stopping, to make sure they're stopping and not running the red. I've had that once, where I was about to bolt from some dick at the lights, and he nailed it. I sat there and put my left arm out to stop the car to my left. Just as the twat on the right gunned it, a car ran a red and nearly side swiped him. Once they had finished, I glided off as I do, and he did the mandatory wheelspin off the spot.. looser..

don't know why they're jelous of us being able to filter. I've even had people move onto the white lines so that I can't pass

v.ros`
3rd August 2005, 10:03
never had it happened... but do sometimes get the boyracers tailget me... so i just slow REALLY down until they either change lanes or back off. If they do change lanes... then smoke them :)

FEINT
3rd August 2005, 10:17
I had a guy yesterday try to run me over yesterday. He wasn't pleased I was in front of him at the lights. I didn't really feel like smokin him, so I just puttered along right in front of him. He tailgated me down the off-ramp. It was 5:30 so peak hour traffic, I went on to the shoulder and gave him a little wave! He wasn't happy, but he couldn't go anywhere! Isn't it great to be on a bike......

But most of the time, I do wait around to see what these idiots at the lights will do, on green, I GO!!!

Seems to be only in Peak hours, cars seem MORE aggressive!

Phurrball
3rd August 2005, 10:35
Too new to riding to have much experience of cager's reactions to lane splitting, but the manoeuvrability of 2 wheels does seem to make some people jealous. When in my cage I look in all those mirror thingees (that people seem to have so much difficulty with) and make sure there's room for anyone on a superior mode of transport to get past.

I had a guy do his nut when I was riding a pushbike once, at the next intersection he moved as far as possible into the gutter trying to block us, just went round the right side of the car. The look on his face was priceless! You are pretty vulnerable on a human-powered machine machine though...perhaps I would not attempt such antics now I am older and (supposed to be) wiser...then again...:devil2:

erik
3rd August 2005, 10:39
The only time anyone's tried to block me when I was lanesplitting was when there was that murder/accident on the western motorway and all the traffic going nw was deverted along great north road. It was bumper to bumper the whole way, so I guess the guy was pissed off about that. I still got past him though, just went around the other side... :cool:

Fart
3rd August 2005, 11:21
Feint; you should have gave him the fingers and shout verbal abuse at him before taking off. :Punk:

Beemer
3rd August 2005, 11:46
We go to the Manakau Medieval Market Day every year and the traffic is usually backed up for miles, so we take the bikes. A couple of years ago we were gliding along the edge of the road on the left (all the traffic was at a standstill) and this guy in a 4WD (you knew I'd say that!) took great offence at our progress and he yelled and screamed at us! Not that he could do anything and besides, it's not like we were going to take his parking space - we parked under a tree where no car could fit!

As for the lights, yes, I do occasionally get idiots who try and block the whole lane so no one can pass them. I usually wait until I get through the lights then change lanes and pass them. I just don't understand their attitude - after all, it's not like a bike is going to hold them up or cloud them in diesel fumes!

And yes, I have sometimes dragged a car off at the lights - just because I can!

Lou Girardin
3rd August 2005, 12:48
I had one driver try to run me into the kerb once. I couldn't get to the front and was stuck behind the first car, when the lights changed the second driver nailed it and ran me into the kerb. I followed him while he explored most of the back roads of Northcote.
But he had to stop eventually and we had a discussion about how he may think he's invulnerable in a moving car but when he stops he isn't. His education is almost complete now.

vifferman
3rd August 2005, 13:01
I wasn't going to lanesplit today, but stayed in bed because I was grumpy and tired, so I ended up leaving late. This meant that the traffic was busier, and coming up to the Onewa Rd lights behind three buses was tooooo much, so I split to the front at the lights. Then after the next light, I ended up behind a VERY poked Mitsushitsi (aren't they nearly always the ones responsible for the pollution? Them and Lasers...), so I decided I needed to split again, did so, and cut into a gap afterwards. :doh: right behind another Mitsi (luckily not as smokey as the first piece of shit).

If I do split to the front, I make sure I take off fairly smartly, as I don't want to risk being run over or whatever, and if the front inadvertantly :sly: forgets it's bound by the law of gravity, there's nothing in the way to run into.

Squiggles
3rd August 2005, 14:05
i've had people see me coming down the side to the lights that have actually purposely moved their car right over as far as poss so i cant get by..... they're the assholes, but other than that i only notice that quite often the car i choose to squeeze infront of moves up really close, trying to squeeze me out of the lane......but im always away first at the lights and leave them there :yes:

Bartman10
3rd August 2005, 15:29
smoke em, well, as much as the zzr can manage, but I do that at every light, I can't help it when I am in front. I watch the lights like a hawk :devil2:

should keep a solid eye peeled on the traffic coming in from the sides as well

And ya mirrors!

mstriumph
3rd August 2005, 15:33
I believe i have a responsibility to be quick away from the lights in those circumstances - least i can do....
If I do split to the front, I make sure I take off fairly smartly, as I don't want to risk being run over or whatever, and if the front inadvertantly :sly: forgets it's bound by the law of gravity, there's nothing in the way to run into.

Ixion
3rd August 2005, 15:55
One of my favorite places,the Pukekohe/Drury turn off heading south on the southern motorway.
Go right to Puke an under the bridge or left to Drury.Sometimes there will be 20 cars lined up in the right lane an having to stop for traffic coming from Puke at the intersection.
I go down the left hand side an run to the front.The exhaust sounds primo on the over run bouncing back off the cars as I go past.
I always do this pretty fast so nobody gets a chance to do anything stupid or painfull to me.I had to stop myself once an the car driver at the front tryed to push me a bit as we took off,but I had my eye on him so no worrys.
Must piss em' off but,,,,,,,Fk em'
Left turn to Papakura off the motorway, southbound is good. There's all this grass on the left beside the lane. Lots and lots of banked up traffic. Pass em all on the left, and you've got the grass to go to if anyone objects.

Never understand why cages get so irate. Do they have a hissy if a pedestrian walks past while they're waiting in the line ?

Pathos
3rd August 2005, 16:25
...? I never lane split/ jump the queue.

MagicMarker
3rd August 2005, 18:06
what if your bike gets off the lights kinda slow? My fzr250r doesn't seem to wanna jump off the lights (bike doesn't run too well, and I don't ride all that well either) :no: Most of the cars are patient and wait, some of them just try to give you a go...

sAsLEX
3rd August 2005, 18:08
today was a great day for it!!! lecs ended at five saddle up and off down symonds and anzac, thats funny traffic was backed all the way up here...... well much splitting ensued as I made my way to the MW to head North. Nice dude in a Civic made a great effort to move out of the way so got a little toot and wave. Then some plonk in a dirty big merc pushed across the bus lane at the intersection by Vodafone so I did't slow down till the last second and put my bike on his front left quarter and started creeping forward, and magically to avoid a dented Merc he backed out of the way and I was off (hate people that come from beside the park and block the bus lane when theres clearly no space!!!) tootling down the bus lane up beside the traffic on the on ramp and then I see the reason for the hold up, two big red X's above the left two lanes, some more splitting and find a truck looks like its dropped its guts over the two lanes on the left just before the bridge.

Moral of all that shit, if you dont ride on a day as nice as today the biker gods will smite thee by causing traffic chaos!

erik
3rd August 2005, 18:32
Does anyone else keep with the traffic after initially accelerating away from the lights?
If there are side streets up ahead with cars waiting to turn in or out, I'll initially accelerate away from the lights quickly but then back off and stay relatively close to the cars behind me.
That way I figure it gives the cars in the side streets more space to pull out or turn etc, plus when I do get to them I'll have a bunch of cars behind me, so they'll be less likely to turn across my path.

DingDong
3rd August 2005, 18:45
choose your driver... men I feel are more understanding, Im quite a big guy and most guys dont want to get into a fight so they leave me alone, women on the other hand know (real) men wont fight them so they can afford to be more arrogant.

Another thing to remember, is you dont need to get right up to the lights... I often stop two or three cars back and gett'm at the next intersection.

If someone did try to sqeezz me, id park my bike in front and walk back for a chat... play it be ear from then. :devil2:

Morepower
3rd August 2005, 20:28
Had this clown (guy in his late 50's in a silver jap sedan)next to me at a set of lights who looked a bit annoyed that I had lane split. at the next lights I got a red and was first in the que anyway sitting just to the right of the middle of the lane. This clown trys to lane split me down the left had about 1 inch clearance each side. Iguess he was hoping for a reaction which he didnt get. I ignored him and cruised off at a normal pace. sometimes I think that not letting them bother you would probably upset them more than reacting.
Mostly the black leathers, black helmet , shades and loud V twin rumble put people off messing with you even though I am a chicken shit in real life :devil2:

chickenfunkstar
3rd August 2005, 20:30
Don't think I've ever been deliberatly squeezed coming up to the traffic lights before.
If possible I try to get right infront of one of the two cars in the front of the queue at the lights. That way the car driver can't move before you anyway.
Once, when I had to stop at the lights between 2 cars, I stalled the engine. Not the best situation to be in.

Ixion
3rd August 2005, 20:53
...? I never lane split/ jump the queue.

My you are good. Even Nana can't say that. Good on you.

myvice
3rd August 2005, 21:12
I don’t lane split either! Or sneak though traffic, speed, do wheeles past schools, swipe at cars that get within range, wind up kids on school busses or in the back of vans, use offensive language, drink alcohol.
I'm a saint... Well I would be if I wasn’t a compulsive liar.

The drivers that do try to squeeze me out wind up having a tinted visor watching them through their window for the duration of the fazing.
Fun to watch them squirm!

sAsLEX
3rd August 2005, 21:26
oh was a passanger in a cage the other day and a Alstare, Ck i think?, came past(lanesplitting to the left of us in the right) heading down Symonds St on Sunday! gave me a fair fright it did :ride:

Pixie
3rd August 2005, 23:15
Lou had a problem.....seems he forgot he fitted his GIVI bags 5 mins before, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lou Girardin
4th August 2005, 08:19
Lou had a problem.....seems he forgot he fitted his GIVI bags 5 mins before, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, *cough* :Oops: It's a bit hard to filter with two 40 liter bags on.
The cage driver was another one of those "you've marked my pristine car" types, when it was full of dents and scratches. He was going to trade it and thought that one more scuff would hurt his trade in deal. I offered to buff the mark out but apparently a panel beater had to do it. :blink: Never heard from him again.

zjet
24th September 2005, 14:40
I was going down the left side of a double lane that gose past a round about then merges into one lane one morning. No worries alls is well i get to the place where the merge is pull up just behind a car getting ready to merge in then going up the right hand side.
This d ii cc kk decides that come hell or high water i am not going to get in if he can do anything about it ??? WTF WHY ? once i,m in the lane i would just move to the right and start passing so i,m not holding any one up or taking any ones place.

Any ways i looked at the guy went 5 cars infront of him and had a great day.

Most people are fine and some move over when they see me, just the odd dork out there

Mumbles
26th October 2005, 19:43
I find trying to split in slow traffic and at lights Bike always V's Car...
If car hits bike :argh: car always win
If bike hits car, car always wins :argh: meanwhile your left trying to pick up ya bike ... :crybaby:
so smoke em! don't give them the option to take me on! Straight line drag we always win ... until you hit another red light!

On the motorway I'm sure I attract the blockers??? that loud Neptune exhaust does help to split them as my horn is crap.

2wheels in Red Beach
26th October 2005, 20:08
I travel from Red Beach to Mount wellington and back again every day. Almost every day I get some idiot in a cage try to block me from lane splitting it normally slows me down for about 30 seconds, when I do go past them I give them a wave as if they let me past. I don't often see they expressions but I am sure it pisses them off. :spudwave: (hopefully anyway)
On the same trip I probably get a lot more cages move out of my way and let me through. :niceone: I find most cages are ok and accept they are in traffik and good luck to those who don't have to be. US :headbang: