PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Wellington or further afield?

jellywrestler
3rd July 2012, 22:39
10.38 went on for nearly a minute, was a reasonable rattle hope we got the worst of it?

pete376403
3rd July 2012, 22:40
Feel the earthquake just now - Probably nothing by Christchusrch standards but felt pretty good here in Upper Hutt

Buyasta
3rd July 2012, 22:42
Huh, felt that here in Christchurch too - pretty gentle, but fairly long.

Woodman
3rd July 2012, 22:43
Good and long here in Nelson too.

merv
3rd July 2012, 22:43
Quite a gap between the p and s waves so can't be too close to Wellington but it was a big one somewhere.

merv
3rd July 2012, 22:45
Early word is a 6.5 near Opunake.

curly
3rd July 2012, 22:46
felt it good in the Hawkes Bay. Too cold to get out of bed though.

pete376403
3rd July 2012, 22:48
6.3 apparently, but no details of epicentre or depth

young1
3rd July 2012, 22:48
Am in New Plymouth, went for a long time, a shudder and slowly built up

Is Christchurch okay???

Nova.
3rd July 2012, 22:49
6.5 252km's deep at opunake

Buyasta
http://beta.geonet.org.nz/quakes/region/newzealand/2012p498491

enzo
pretty hefty in rural manawatu

Virago
http://beta.geonet.org.nz/quakes/region/newzealand/2012p498491

BMWST?
3rd July 2012, 22:50
made a strange noise too i thought,almost a hissing/humming sound

merv
3rd July 2012, 22:55
Now confirmed as a 7 on Geonet. I've never felt an earthquake go on so long in Wellington before.

onearmedbandit
3rd July 2012, 22:59
Felt it down here in ChCh, house shook a bit. Just thought it was another local one. Heard it building well before it arrived too.

Mad-V2
3rd July 2012, 23:03
Nice long slow rocking here in Napier.
Geonet and kiwi biker, the best earthquake sites in N.Z

ellipsis
3rd July 2012, 23:07
...the ground quivered, for want of a better word, for 30, 40 seconds before the house got a roll on...felt sure it was one of our ones too...

Conquiztador
3rd July 2012, 23:10
Son not happy. His chips fell on the floor!

Gone Burger
3rd July 2012, 23:10
I know it's nothing compared to all thats been going on in Christchurch but that was fucking terrifying! I have broken china all over my house and paintings off the wall - not to mention two dogs that are going absolutely ape shit. In Whitemans Valley in Upper hutt - felt a lot of earthquakes over the past 8 years here but nothing even close to that. Got under the table as soon as I could. Jesus, i hope thats the worst of it

mashman
3rd July 2012, 23:13
The missus greeted me as I stepped through the door... rattled our place quite well by the sounds of things. Sounded like thunder and then a damn good shake for 10 - 15 seconds or so she reckons. I didn't feel it as I was driving at the time.

Nova.
3rd July 2012, 23:14
that sound you ,hear, water rushing through the cracks underground

Mad-V2
3rd July 2012, 23:22
Must have been a good one to be felt from hawkes bay right down to christchurch and it was at sea on the west coast.
Hope there's no Tsunami :eek5:

yod
3rd July 2012, 23:23
Good shake here!

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0905/duke-nukem-duke-nukem-3d-shake-baby-1995-demotivational-poster-1241221859.jpg

thecharmed01
4th July 2012, 00:13
Now confirmed as a 7 on Geonet. I've never felt an earthquake go on so long in Wellington before.

I've felt one other that went on as long as that, but it was about 8 years ago now.
That was a bloody decent one.

I heard it, sounded like a freight train coming! Then when I was asking the other half what that noise was and is it an earthquake, he stopped walking and the first jolts hit. I grabbed the baby (he happened to be in my lap) and we all hit the doorway up and stayed there till the jolts stopped and the rumbling roaring stopped. Poor bubba. He was not impressed at being woken up like that and he said "I don't like the shakey shakey"
Poor bubba. He's not settling back to sleep either. Gonna be a looooong night here methinks!

Kickaha
4th July 2012, 06:43
Felt it down here in ChCh, house shook a bit. Just thought it was another local one. Heard it building well before it arrived too.

Yeah we heard it rumbling before it hit, small jolt, then a few seconds break then bigger and longer. I would have rated it about a 4.5 if it was local

oneofsix
4th July 2012, 07:07
I've felt one other that went on as long as that, but it was about 8 years ago now.
That was a bloody decent one.

I heard it, sounded like a freight train coming! Then when I was asking the other half what that noise was and is it an earthquake, he stopped walking and the first jolts hit. I grabbed the baby (he happened to be in my lap) and we all hit the doorway up and stayed there till the jolts stopped and the rumbling roaring stopped. Poor bubba. He was not impressed at being woken up like that and he said "I don't like the shakey shakey"
Poor bubba. He's not settling back to sleep either. Gonna be a looooong night here methinks!

Hope your night wasn't as long as feared.

Agreed it did sound like a heavy vehicle coming, and going. Not a good feeling when it started shaking as I was in the shower at the time, a shower with glass sides I might add. Silly me grabs to tops of the shower box sides but not much else to hang on to and not exactly a non-slip footing :argh: Glad I was about to get out, as soon as the shaking stopped I was out there. :calm:

Bald Eagle
4th July 2012, 07:15
meeh bit of a shake, a few things rattled in the cupboards, turned over and went back to sleep.

Deano
4th July 2012, 07:30
I know it's nothing compared to all thats been going on in Christchurch but that was fucking terrifying! I have broken china all over my house and paintings off the wall - not to mention two dogs that are going absolutely ape shit. In Whitemans Valley in Upper hutt - felt a lot of earthquakes over the past 8 years here but nothing even close to that. Got under the table as soon as I could. Jesus, i hope thats the worst of it

Wow - are you on bedrock or something ? At the top of Maungaraki we got a shake but nothing broken. Maybe all that clay under us absorbed some of it.

I just dread getting something that like on the Wgtn fault - especially if I'm at work in a certified dangerous building !

merv
4th July 2012, 07:46
I just dread getting something that like on the Wgtn fault - especially if I'm at work in a certified dangerous building !

No worries Deano, your avatar has got it covered.

Crasherfromwayback
4th July 2012, 07:57

Was pretty wobbly up in our 5th floor apartment!

imdying
4th July 2012, 09:25
No point worrying about it guys, just make sure you have plenty of non perishable food and a good weeks supply of water. Oh yeah, nail your shit to walls and think about what your bike is likely to fall onto.

But worry.... nahhhh, that shit is well out of your hands :)

thecharmed01
4th July 2012, 11:01
Hope your night wasn't as long as feared.

Agreed it did sound like a heavy vehicle coming, and going. Not a good feeling when it started shaking as I was in the shower at the time, a shower with glass sides I might add. Silly me grabs to tops of the shower box sides but not much else to hang on to and not exactly a non-slip footing :argh: Glad I was about to get out, as soon as the shaking stopped I was out there. :calm:

It actually was.
Baby in my bed all night, tossing and turning and if anyone else moved he was bolt upright asking if it was another earthquake...
*yawn*
He finally fell asleep properly about 4am. We just got out of bed 20 minutes ago and he's now laying on the couch watching a movie sucking his thumb. He's exhausted and I foresee a nap in his near future. Possibly mine too ;)

oneofsix
4th July 2012, 11:06
It actually was.
Baby in my bed all night, tossing and turning and if anyone else moved he was bolt upright asking if it was another earthquake...
*yawn*
He finally fell asleep properly about 4am. We just got out of bed 20 minutes ago and he's now laying on the couch watching a movie sucking his thumb. He's exhausted and I foresee a nap in his near future. Possibly mine too ;)

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get to enjoy a nap and him too. Not much worse than a tied grumpy baby.

quickbuck
4th July 2012, 17:57
It sounded like a NH90 at first, then the house started shaking..... A fair bit of damage here... ;)
My certificates from my placings from last years winter series fell down on the book shelf, and knocked Colin Edwards' Castrol Honda RC51 to the ground.... it broke the display casing!

Other than that though, nothing else... Was a little gutted about the display case for Colins bike, and it really freaked me out, for the first time in my life (for a quake anyway), but am over it...
It is NOTHING compaired to what the rest of my family have been through in Christchurch, and Ashburton.

placidfemme
4th July 2012, 18:49
Yeah was a good ole shake in Haumoana (Between Napier & Hastings), but wasn't totally sure on how long it lasted, I live on the beach front and often the swell hitting the breaker wall causes the house to shake, and last night (as with tonight) the swell is pretty decent (when I got home tonight it was wetting a good 2m+ into my garden and my breaker wall is 8ft above the beach) so to me it only felt like it last about 20 seconds then I couldn't tell the shake from the swell, also due to the beach I never heard it. Earthquakes don't phase me much, but tsunami's do :(

Pussy
4th July 2012, 19:13
It certainly didn't feel violent in New Plymouth. Lasted near a minute. Just a gentle/rolling shake.