PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Error??

Str8 Jacket
3rd August 2005, 08:33
Just wondering how likely it is that my speedo reads wrong (too fast?). The other nite my mate followed me on his scooter up to my house. When we got there he told me I was going atleast 60 all the way home, but my speedo showed speeds of just over 50, it may be that HIS speedo was wrong, but last nite while riding up my road I swear that I saw a speed camera flash when I went past - I was the only one on the road at the time. But when I looked down my speedo read just a wee bit over 50? How can I get this checked?

Ixion
3rd August 2005, 09:35
Just wondering how likely it is that my speedo reads wrong (too fast?). The other nite my mate followed me on his scooter up to my house. When we got there he told me I was going atleast 60 all the way home, but my speedo showed speeds of just over 50, it may be that HIS speedo was wrong, but last nite while riding up my road I swear that I saw a speed camera flash when I went past - I was the only one on the road at the time. But when I looked down my speedo read just a wee bit over 50? How can I get this checked?

Quite possible. Though usually they read fast. Borrow a GPS unit, or have someone with a known accurate (or known error) speedo pace you (you drive behind them as they do constant specific agreed speed)

vifferman
3rd August 2005, 09:39
Quite possible. Though usually they read fast. Borrow a GPS unit, or have someone with a known accurate (or known error) speedo pace you (you drive behind them as they do constant specific agreed speed)
Ride around the streets at some random speed, and when pulled over by a cop (if you can find one), tell him your speedo is whack, and ask him to help you check it.
Alternatively, you may be able to get a cop to do this without being pulled over for speeding.

bugjuice
3rd August 2005, 09:57
apparently every speedo is out by some degree. The faster you're going, the further out it is. At 50, it shouldn't be 10 out already. And especially on a 2005 bike.. If you know someone with a GPS unit thingy, you can check it that way

Str8 Jacket
3rd August 2005, 10:07
Yea, im thinking that its more likely that my mates scooter speedo is wrong, but will go and try suss out a GPS thingy. Or (thankyou Vifferman) I may just try to do something "extraordinary" to get a coppers attention and try and convince them to help me! :clap:

Pixie
3rd August 2005, 15:59
Two ways of checking:
find one of those "you are travelling at this speed trailers"on the highway.
they are accurate.
Get a cycle computer,these are calibrated to you wheel diameter.
I use a cycle computer my Bandit reads 120kph at 110kph true