PDA

View Full Version : Long time reader, recently joined (Phantom Limb)

Phantom Limb
10th July 2012, 13:30
Hey all,
I'm a Design Engineer by trade, I live down some dirty, twisty, poorly maintained goat track north of Auckland where riding a bike is something akin to piloting a mechanical bull at speed, but I love it all the same! :devil2:
I started out on 2 smoke dirt bikes, but after taking a job in the big smoke I switched to road bikes in order to make the 100Km/day commute more berable (Sitting in traffic makes me quite murderous, just ask my wife).
I took the sensible route and piloted a VTR250 for 40,000Km in 24months. I then decided that 400Km / week is too much time to spend in the saddle of a bike designed for 5min journeys.
My current steed is much better suited to the task:

GTRMAN
10th July 2012, 14:03
Nice bike, welcome to the circus

Phantom Limb
10th July 2012, 16:04
Thanks mate.
I've been having a great time getting to know the big XJR on these poxy northland roads. How can people say muscle bikes can't corner? Sure the big girl is a little less responsive to input than a sports machine, but if you grab it by the scruff and put some weight behind your movements it really is rewarding. :banana:

I'm also finding that a bit of extra weight does wonders to soak up corner corrugations, bumps, dead possums and the like.

george formby
10th July 2012, 16:12
Hello.

You should jump into the XJR, CB and the other one in green thread.

Love the XJR in blue with yamaha tread on the tank. One day, one day.....

Maha
10th July 2012, 16:15
XJR's are the biz, I was on a CB1300 for three years as of about september last year...
Welcome to kiwibiker...can get a bit rough at times but it seems you lived with the bumpy stuff before?

Phantom Limb
10th July 2012, 16:53
XJR's are the biz, I was on a CB1300 for three years as of about september last year...
Welcome to kiwibiker...can get a bit rough at times but it seems you lived with the bumpy stuff before?

Ha! You could say that.
I also have a cage that gets used solely for trackday / hot lap fun. So I'm used to online automotive forums and the BS that sometimes follows. Nothing new to me :ar15:

YellowDog
10th July 2012, 17:13
Welcome on board PL - I agree that big bikes can be fun too. It's not what you ride, but how you ride it :yes:

Edbear
10th July 2012, 19:25
Ha! You could say that.
I also have a cage that gets used solely for trackday / hot lap fun. So I'm used to online automotive forums and the BS that sometimes follows. Nothing new to me :ar15:

What's your track day car? Always liked the big XJ's.

Phantom Limb
10th July 2012, 20:40
What's your track day car? Always liked the big XJ's.

LoL a Vectra, with some bits added and even more bits missing :cool:

Phantom Limb
10th July 2012, 20:40
Welcome on board PL - I agree that big bikes can be fun too. It's not what you ride, but how you ride it :yes:

Thats right mate :clap:

nzspokes
10th July 2012, 20:51
Welcome!

I looked very closely at your bike. I liked the luggage system on it.

But ended up buying a Bandit next door which I love.

Edbear
10th July 2012, 20:58
LoL a Vectra, with some bits added and even more bits missing :cool:

I think they are the motor that got Holden in trouble 'cause their cam belts should be changed at 60k, not 100, and a few engines got wrecked. But they go well and handle ok so should be some fun. I'd love to take our MX5 to a track one day.

Not allowed to ride any more due to breaking my back and having complications so forced to stick to four wheels for fun these days. :weep:

Phantom Limb
10th July 2012, 21:00
Welcome!

I looked very closely at your bike. I liked the luggage system on it.

But ended up buying a Bandit next door which I love.

Good stuff, Bandit 1200 is a nice bike, I rode one a couple of years ago and it was great fun. The XJR was just one of those bikes though, I got it on the Esmond rd onramp for a first test ride and wound it open in 2nd, that front wheel came up so fast and by the time it had landed I knew I was riding the thing home!

The luggage setup is a real bonus. Since I ride to work everyday the top box has become my briefcase, works a charm.

Phantom Limb
10th July 2012, 21:10
I think they are the motor that got Holden in trouble 'cause their cam belts should be changed at 60k, not 100, and a few engines got wrecked. But they go well and handle ok so should be some fun. I'd love to take our MX5 to a track one day.

Not allowed to ride any more due to breaking my back and having complications so forced to stick to four wheels for fun these days. :weep:

Yeah, MX5's are a severely underrated vehicle and make an excellent track machine.

The motor with the incorrectly published cam belt replacement period you're thinking of is the X20XEV 'ECOTEC' which came out in the mid to late 90's Holden Vectras. They're a strong motor designed by Lotus actually, but suffered under the control of a poorly executed Seimens fuel injection system which has created some electronic gremlins in later years.

The motor in my track car (as pictured) is a different kettle of fish. It's actually a Cosworth designed unit that was fitted to the late 80's early 90's Vectras as a performance package, naturally being a Cosworth design they are bombproof and respond surprisingly well to intake and exhaust modifications, they also form the base for one of the most successful 2000cc race engines ever produced having competed in the BTCC from 1988 to the early 2000's. So the motor makes an excellent track day mill.

Why a trackday CAGE and not a trackday bike you may ask? Well for the simple fact that a well sorted cage on race rubber can out corner a bike without hassle. Also when pushed my car turns into a motorcycle on tighter corners...if you get my meaning :devil2:

Sorry about the rant, I am a 'Motorphile' in the truest sense!

Edbear
11th July 2012, 07:14
You're right and meet another petrol- head! If it has an engine I am interested! A mate has avCosworth Sierra, the rare two door turbo. It was only putting out 400hp so he's tweaking it... It's his track day car.

Phantom Limb
11th July 2012, 07:57
You're right and meet another petrol- head! If it has an engine I am interested! A mate has avCosworth Sierra, the rare two door turbo. It was only putting out 400hp so he's tweaking it... It's his track day car.

My neighbor has two Sierras! One is the RS500, winged wonder (2 door) and the other is the 4 door cozzy turbo version, he uses it to tow his wifes horse float :(:( I am forever trying to convince him to bring the RS500 down to the track so I can chase him round the paddock for a few laps, but he's just not taking the bait. Seems he'd rather polish the damn thing.

Whats the point in having a monster in the shed if you're not going to drive the wheels off it? :weep:

Edbear
11th July 2012, 08:24
My neighbor has two Sierras! One is the RS500, winged wonder (2 door) and the other is the 4 door cozzy turbo version, he uses it to tow his wifes horse float :(:( I am forever trying to convince him to bring the RS500 down to the track so I can chase him round the paddock for a few laps, but he's just not taking the bait. Seems he'd rather polish the damn thing.

Whats the point in having a monster in the shed if you're not going to drive the wheels off it? :weep:

I think that's what Greg has, the RS500. But he believes cars are for driving. His E55 AMG and his Maserati are often filthy. He's a good driver, too!

Fast Eddie
11th July 2012, 13:40
I think that's what Greg has, the RS500. But he believes cars are for driving. His E55 AMG and his Maserati are often filthy. He's a good driver, too!

he must be filthy (rich) himself

george formby
11th July 2012, 14:14

The very car that popped up in conversation a couple of days ago. Many moons ago in the UK a mate had one & "chipped" it for performance. Not sure how true this is, it was a big deal at the time, but could just have been boy racer bollocks.

Edbear
11th July 2012, 14:26
he must be filthy (rich) himself

He has enough... You can't begrudge this guy though, he's worked very hard for a long time to earn it. No silver spoon for him. He's one of the nicest blokes you could meet, too.

The very car that popped up in conversation a couple of days ago. Many moons ago in the UK a mate had one & "chipped" it for performance. Not sure how true this is, it was a big deal at the time, but could just have been boy racer bollocks.

The 2lt turbo was 400hp in the RS as far as I know. Not sure what he's aiming for but knowing Greg it will be too much because enough is not enough. :cool: