PDA

View Full Version : DVD recorder, DLNA setup, how well does it work?

neels
10th July 2012, 22:03
I'm sick of walking video tapes up and down the stairs, so am looking at other options.

What I've come up with so far is a DLNA DVD HDD recorder and matching player to stick in the lounge and bedroom respectively, from what I've read that should make it possible to watch stuff upstairs from the box downstairs, or on the laptop via wireless if I was so inclined.

Has anyone got this set up and does it work, or have I got completely the wrong end of various sticks?

Gremlin
10th July 2012, 22:36
I've played with DLNA a bit but tbh, I'm not that impressed. Speed is akin to a snail (granted it's sifting through a lot of media) but makes it too slow for regular use.

I do however have the luxury of an HTPC upstairs under the TV and simply switch to it, then use it's networking capabilities to reach the media on the wired network.

pete376403
11th July 2012, 19:12
I use something like this http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/L6042/dick-smith-5-8ghz-av-sender (but older, cheaper and on the 2.4ghz frequency) and it works really well. Even the remote controls work back (from the reciever end to the transmitter end)
Transmitter plugged into the DVD / hard drive recorder in the lounge, receiver in the bedroom TV.

Coldrider
11th July 2012, 23:18
Looked at it but the trouble shooting section was greater than the how to make it work section, so i went Sony wireless instead.

DLNA is more of a 'standard'. I get the impression to make it work well, all the files would be on a server, and distributed from there.

However as gremlin has uncovered, you would want to know the final result (speed, quality) before you spent the dosh.

The AV sender/receiver looks good, but not sure if HD is an issue.

Akzle
12th July 2012, 13:13
I'm sick of walking video tapes up and down the stairs, so am looking at other options.

What I've come up with so far is a DLNA DVD HDD recorder and matching player to stick in the lounge and bedroom respectively, from what I've read that should make it possible to watch stuff upstairs from the box downstairs, or on the laptop via wireless if I was so inclined.

Has anyone got this set up and does it work, or have I got completely the wrong end of various sticks?

there are so many solutions to your problem it isn't funny.

you can get basic AV (or HDMI AV) senders...
you can get a media hub,
media box,
network your storage,

or go the DLNA route, which is basically the same as network storage, as long as all devices are compatible there should be no worries.

personally i'd go media server hooked up to your wireless home broadband router, then you can get wireless modules for TVs etc. you can save to your media box from TV tuner, freeview tuner, RF tuner, DVD player, VCR, security cameras, youtube etc etc etc.
and access via TVs, PCs, smartphones etc etc etc.