PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki's sport tourer: GSX1250FA review.

Jantar
21st July 2012, 17:59
Having owned it for 3 weeks today and riden over 3000 km on it, its time to review the TNAB (Tecnically Not A Bandit). Hitcher coined the term TNAB for the GSX1250FA as it is a bandit in almost every respect except for the full fairing, improvements to the suspension and a changed headlight similar to the GSX-R.

My first impressions were how smooth the engine was compared to VStrom. It also suprised me that it produced much more torque at lower RPMs. Now, Mr Suzuki, imagine putting an engine this torquey and smooth into an adventure bike frame - that would be a winner.

The large amount of torque at low revs means that city riding is a breeze. Gear changes are seldom required, and even when they are, the gearbox is smooth with just a hint of the traditional Suzuki "clunk" when changing into first.

On the open highway the optimistic speedo shows 109 kmh when the GPS is bang on 100. And at that speed the tacho is showing 3700 rpm, perfect for when you want to roll on the throttle to overtake. However, even at 100 -110 kmh in top gear I do keep looking to change up further. I suspect changing the rear sprocket from 43t to 40t will assist with that and will correct the speedo error at the same time.

Generally the bike handles very well and is precise with a nice stable feel in the bends. I say "generally" because there is one horrible aspect to the handling that will be fixed very soon. The standard Bridgestone Battleaxe tyres are terrible. They wander if there are any surface impections, feel like they are made of jelly until they heat up, and even then the amount of grip is marginal. I have even had them spin up on a wet road when at a steady 100 kmh in a straight line. Suzuki, there are so many better tyres at there at the same price, why stick with such a poor choice.

When I picked up the bike, Crasherfromwayback advised me to stick with premium fuel, which I did for the first five tanks of fuel for an average consumption of 17.1 l.km. Then I put in some 91 octane and imediately the bike felt like it had more response and went further per tank. I continued with 91 octane for the next 5 tanks and achieved an average fuel consumption of 18.5 km/l. These first 10 tanks of fuel were all on the open road, so now I'm trying the same test for commuting over the next 2 months.

I had occasion to test the ABS when a car cut me off at a rounabout in Hamilton. There was grit on the road when I hit the picks and I heard the front tyre start to slide. Imediately the brake lever felt like it was giving a slight puls and the tyre maintained traction and I avoided a posiible collision. I believe I would have been OK even without ABS, but it's nice to know that it does work.

There are a few niggles that I will work on, some of which have already been mentioned by Hitcher on http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/133376-My-first-Suzuki? .

The rear view mirrors give a great view of one's elbows, but absolutely no view to the rear of the bike. Extenders are on order and should arrive any day.

The standard screen puts the aiflow too low on the chest at cruising speed, and I shall look at either a larger screen or a laminar lip.

The headlight is pitifull, or maybe I was just spoiled by the twin searchlights on the VStrom. Dip beam is bright enough show that there is road in front of you, but not what is on the road or where it goes. Full beam is a little bit better and is about what I ould expect dip to be. But I don't like the idea of riding long distances at night with such weak lights. A couple of supplementary lights will be fitted urgently.

Overall, the TNAB is a bike that does exactly what it is designed to do, i.e. cover large distances with a minimum of fuss. It is much cheaper than the other makes' entries into this market, so spending a few dollars to correct the minor niggles is worth the effort. It's just a pity that the Suzuki designers couldn't get some of these things right first time when they show they can do it on other bikes.

Crasherfromwayback
21st July 2012, 18:03
Glad you're enjoying it Malcolm. Sorry about the delay in getting the warranty book to you. I've dug one up now!

nzspokes
21st July 2012, 18:09
Interesting read. I can say the same about the 2001s screen. Im going to make an ad on for it.

FJRider
21st July 2012, 18:56
Have you got a set of Dual purpose tyres fitted yet ... ??? Your driveway might be a bit easier then ... :innocent:

Jantar
21st July 2012, 19:47
Have you got a set of Dual purpose tyres fitted yet ... ??? Your driveway might be a bit easier then ... :innocent:

All tyres are dual purpose, just some are more agressive on gravel than others. :D

Edbear
21st July 2012, 20:31
I had one for a few days when my bike was in for servicing. Absolutely loved it! Engine felt like an electric motor or turbine, so smooth and so much torque! Great brakes and sure handling made me reluctant to give it back.

AllanB
21st July 2012, 23:57
I'm sure I saw a advert last week advertising them for some silly low price. Bit of a bargin in that segment.

Crasherfromwayback
22nd July 2012, 00:11
I'm sure I saw a advert last week advertising them for some silly low price. Bit of a bargin in that segment.

They're an awesome buy.

Blackbird
22nd July 2012, 08:41
Hi Malcolm,

Great review and looking forward to more as you add all the improvements. Your comment on the lights interested me as it's a thing which most major manufacturers seem to skimp on for the sake of a few bucks. When I had the Blackbird, I stuck 100W bulbs in because there was sufficient headlight volume to do so without overheating worries. On the Triple where the headlight volume was considerably less, I first upgraded to standard wattage Osram Nightbreakers and got a good gain, then quite recently to Ring Automotive Xenon bulbs of the same wattage and got even more improvement. You can see some photos here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/let-there-be-light-lots-of-it-and-there.html.

Why oh why don't bike manufacturers fit decent bubs in the first place???

P.S So sorry to have missed you when you were up this way. Maybe next time in warmer conditions!

TimeOut
22nd July 2012, 11:11
Hi Malcom

How do you find the seat hieght & comfort compared to the Vstrom?, I'm considering the same change

Jantar
22nd July 2012, 11:24
Hi Malcom

How do you find the seat hieght & comfort compared to the Vstrom?, I'm considering the same change

The seat is a lot lower, but so are the foot pegs. The seat is also adjustable, and I shall move it up to the higher setting giving around 20mm more height. the longest single day's ride I've done so far is Hamilton to Wellington or around 6 hours on the seat. It wasn't too bad, and I think that with it being slightly higher, and a sheepskin seat cover, full day riding should be OK.

I know others have had their seats modified, but I'll wait till after I pre-ride the 1000 miler before making that call.

Pussy
22nd July 2012, 12:16
I have ridden the 1250 Bandit, and found the engine to be VERY good. Feels like there are no reciprocating parts in it! The fuelling was seamless.
Regarding the headlight on your model... it's the same unit as the K5/K6 GSX-R1000. Have to agree they are fairly average.
I look forward to hearing more about your bike as time goes by!

Hitcher
22nd July 2012, 19:50
Fuck me. It's deja vu all over again. Nice review Malcolm. Even the speedo error is identical!

My TNAB ticked over 36,000km today, so it will be off yet again for another service this week.

I've finally got around to progressing a suspension upgrade. That should bring to an end my major modifications.

I'd love to have a solution to the piss poor low beam. Let me know if and how you solve that one, Malcolm. Different bulbs make little difference.

I'm pleased that somebody else agrees that Bridgestone know nothing about making an acceptable sports touring tyre.

And stick with 91 octane. The TNAB loves that stuff and, in case you hadn't noticed, it's appreciably cheaper than 95 or higher.

Modifications I recommend:

Leo Vince SBK muffler
Scottoiler
Oxford heated grips
Rear mirror spacers
Powerbronze screen replacement
Radguard radiator protector
Rider seat (McDonald Motor Trimmers, Tauranga)
Garmin zumo 550 GPS

I'll not a sitrep update once the reboundiness is enhanced.

These things are disturbingly good value for money, particularly when they were previously a dealer demo!

Jantar
22nd July 2012, 20:15
Fuck me. It's deja vu all over again. Nice review Malcolm. Even the speedo error is identical!...

Leo Vince SBK muffler
Scottoiler
Oxford heated grips
Rear mirror spacers
Garmin zumo 550 GPS

Thanks for the ideas, most are already in the plans.

So far I'm happy with the standard muffler.
I have a scottoiler here ready to fit, but so far haven't worked out the best place for it. I'd appreciate seeing some photos of your setup.
Mirror extenders are ordered from USA and should arrive shortly.
The screen needs improvement so I'll certainly look at the Powerbronze one.
Garmin GPS is already fitted, but Legend rather than Zumo.

The seat can wait a while yet, and I'll make my own radiator guard.

Hitcher
22nd July 2012, 20:25
So far I'm happy with the standard muffler.
I have a scottoiler here ready to fit, but so far haven't worked out the best place for it. I'd appreciate seeing some photos of your setup.

I got my mirror extenders from Just Bandits in the UK. They have a myriad of kit for customising these beasties.

The standard muffler is bigger than the bike and is just way too quiet. And it doesn't have a lovely horny off-throttle burble and pop.

My Scottoiler sits in the side of the toolkit pocket, no bracket, no tie downs. Using the adjuster knob is a bit of a trick however.

And the shift light comes on at about 140kmh in second gear.

Jantar
29th August 2012, 20:55

Leo Vince SBK muffler
Scottoiler
Oxford heated grips
Rear mirror spacers
Garmin zumo 550 GPS

My Powerbronze double bubble screen arrived late last week, and as I already had the bike booked in for a service today, I had it fitted at the same time as the service. Its only a 5 minute job, but I wouldn't like to lose one of those rubberised nuts. And what a difference it makes. I was a little dubious that adding 50mm to the bubble size would make much difference, but the airflow is now perfect.

The Scottoiler is fitted and working. I put mine onto the frame under the left hand side cover. On friday I'll add the Lube tube into the tail.

One further modification that is going to made, is to fit mudflaps to both mudguards. The front wheel throws mud up into the radiator, and although a Radguard will stop large stones form causing damage, it wont stop the radiator being blocked with dirt. The rear wheel throws gravel and dirt up into the handle of the top box (and into the lock). What I need is light weight mudflaps like used to be available for dirt bikes in the 70s. I may need to make something that will be light enough to not damage the mudguards, yet still intercept mud and gravel.

I also haven't yet decided how or where to fit the radar detector.

Crasherfromwayback
29th August 2012, 21:07
I also haven't yet decided how or where to fit the radar detector.

Just stick to the speed limit!:innocent:

Hitcher
29th August 2012, 21:17
I fitted my own Powerbronze screen. What a fucking fiddle. Unbelievably complex. But it was well worth the effort.

Jantar
29th August 2012, 21:28
Just stick to the speed limit!:innocent:
I would if it wasn't so damn slow.

DingoZ
29th August 2012, 21:30
CrasherfromWayBack keeps tempting me with this or similar when my GSX650F is in for it's regular service. Over 30,000 K's on my 650F and not a single ounce of trouble. Lovin the bike, lovin the service from WMC. Best buy I've ever made. The 1250FA looks awesome though. He might get me in the end.

Gremlin
29th August 2012, 21:38
One further modification that is going to made, is to fit mudflaps to both mudguards. The front wheel throws mud up into the radiator, and although a Radguard will stop large stones form causing damage, it wont stop the radiator being blocked with dirt. The rear wheel throws gravel and dirt up into the handle of the top box (and into the lock). What I need is light weight mudflaps like used to be available for dirt bikes in the 70s. I may need to make something that will be light enough to not damage the mudguards, yet still intercept mud and gravel.
Mud? I suggest a V-Strom if you're going to be riding such terrain... or is that your driveway :shifty:

Probably look at some lightweight rubber or the like. More expensive option would be looking for a fender extender specific to your bike.

Edbear
30th August 2012, 07:25
I would if it wasn't so damn slow.

That's the main problem with the 1250... Aside from that it's perfect.

CrasherfromWayBack keeps tempting me with this or similar when my GSX650F is in for it's regular service. Over 30,000 K's on my 650F and not a single ounce of trouble. Lovin the bike, lovin the service from WMC. Best buy I've ever made. The 1250FA looks awesome though. He might get me in the end.

You really need both. You'll miss the 650 like crazy but you'll love the 1250 for what it is!

banditrider
30th August 2012, 18:59
Mud? I suggest a V-Strom if you're going to be riding such terrain... or is that your driveway :shifty:

Probably look at some lightweight rubber or the like. More expensive option would be looking for a fender extender specific to your bike.

Fender extenders are the way to go. My V-Strom has one...:laugh:

Jantar
6th October 2012, 16:39
Just as the sad news of Hitcher's GSX120FA made the headlines, my fender extender arrived. Fitted it during the week and what an improvment. I still haven't found anything suitable for the rear fender and it looks like I'll have to make something suitable. Because of the shape of the rear fender a motocross type mudflap would look awfull, but I do have some ideas.

My modifications to date are:
Mirror extenders
Double bubble screen
Scott oiler with lube tube
GPS
Fender extender

Hitcher
6th October 2012, 17:25
*Sobbing noises*

FJRider
6th October 2012, 17:28
*Sobbing noises*

It was a suzuki .... get over it .... :shifty:

banditrider
6th October 2012, 17:38
Just as the sad news of Hitcher's GSX120FA made the headlines, my fender extender arrived. Fitted it during the week and what an improvment. I still haven't found anything suitable for the rear fender and it looks like I'll have to make something suitable. Because of the shape of the rear fender a motocross type mudflap would look awfull, but I do have some ideas.

My modifications to date are:
Mirror extenders
Double bubble screen
Scott oiler with lube tube
GPS
Fender extender

http://www.powerbronze.co.uk/product_makemodel.aspx?OBJ_ID=818253&freetext=SUZUKI%20GSX1250FA

Hitcher
6th October 2012, 17:40
http://www.powerbronze.co.uk/product_makemodel.aspx?OBJ_ID=818253&freetext=SUZUKI%20GSX1250FA

Bust linky thingie

banditrider
6th October 2012, 17:45
Bust linky thingie

Works for me...

Jantar
6th October 2012, 17:49
Thanks, but a hugger only stops the dirt from being thrown into the suspension, it doesn't stop it being thrown up the back of the bike. I will propbably add a hugger at some stage, but of more immediate concern is a simple mudflap at the rear.

FJRider
6th October 2012, 17:55
Thanks, but a hugger only stops the dirt from being thrown into the suspension, it doesn't stop it being thrown up the back of the bike. I will propbably add a hugger at some stage, but of more immediate concern is a simple mudflap at the rear.

Fix your driveway. :yes:

Problem solved. :yes:

:innocent:

banditrider
6th October 2012, 17:56

Yeah, the one on my Connie is good at both protecting the shock and splattering my topbox!

Banditbandit
12th October 2012, 10:28
I'm pleased you like it ... I have a "real" one .. an 09 1250 bought from new ...

The headlight .. I raised mine - as you say, main beam was where I expected dip to be on the road .. raising it helps a lot ... It's now OK at night ... but OK is only average ...

I have no issues with the mirrors .. I can see the whole road behind me .. (I do see parts of my elbows) . maybe I'm just smaller (or not as fat)

The speedo is about 10% out ... so showing 109 at a real 100 klicks is about right ... that 10% continues right through the speeds ...

I replaced the rear can with a Beowulf carbon fibre can .. (http://beowulf-performance-products.com/) sounds heaps better - and the standard one weights in at 6.5kilos .. hung off one side of the bike .. the Beowulf can is only two ks ... (when it arrived I thought the box was empty) .. and it fits on with no retuning needed. It makes the bike feel better too - slight increase in hp .. but mstly better breathing ...

The other mods I've made are a Beowulf radiator cover (peace of mind so it doesn't get a rock through it ...) and braided lines from www.justbandits.com. I've done 45,000ks on the bike and the right hand disc rotor is starting to show signs of movement around the rivets .. but not on the left side .. My cousin's bike has it worse ... if you look at the standard lines, one goes from the handlebar master cyclinder to the right side caliper, then drops over the front guard to the left side calpier ... so the pressure hits the right caliper, then the left .. the new braided lines have two lines from the master cycliner - one to each caliper .. I think that should even out the braking pressure betweeen the cylinders .. and the braided lines feel more positive than the standard ones.

The legal speed limit is a serious issue - my 1250 absolutely purrs and handles like a dream at 180 klicks ... behind cars at 100 klicks I kick it down two gears to pass ... it will pass most vehicles in their own length in fourth gear ...

It's got to be the best thing I have ever ridden ..

Banditbandit
12th October 2012, 10:30
You really need both. You'll miss the 650 like crazy but you'll love the 1250 for what it is!

YEAH and YEAH .. I have both !!!! Stunning bikes !!!!

Maha
15th March 2013, 15:18
Nice write-up by both you and Hitcher (the other thread)..
In the add on the one I am looking to buy it says 'This GSX comes with a new 12 month WOF, 6 months rego, 24 months warranty and a full tank of 98.'
Yet you use 91 Octane?...any reason for that? when you used five tanks of 98 prior which is the recommended fuel.
Are you more than happy with 91?

I concur about the tyre comment, I have just put T30's on the Yamaha and they will be swapped over to the TNAB.

rustic101
15th March 2013, 15:55
I'm about to do stage two on mine.

O2 sensor out, secondaries out, air box and filter drilled and opened up, power commander etc. All of which will make the front end a bit lighter on take off ;)

Jantar
15th March 2013, 18:02
...Yet you use 91 Octane?...any reason for that? when you used five tanks of 98 prior which is the recommended fuel.
Are you more than happy with 91?

I concur about the tyre comment, I have just put T30's on the Yamaha and they will be swapped over to the TNAB.

The owners manual recommends 91.

I am now over 13000km and 91 just suits the bike better. It seems to run smoother, but best all, I get 19 km/l on open road cruising on 91 compared to 16 km/l on 95 or 98. I haven't really tried the higher octanes on commuting as the TNAB is now almost exclusively used for long distance riding and the DR650 is used for commuting.

Around Hamilton (I hate city riding) the TNAB dropped to 15.5 km/l on 91. Next time I'm up there I'll try 95 for commuting and see if there is any difference. That is likely to be in June.

mc4aregreat
15th March 2013, 21:11
Tell me , it is mention further back about changing to 4th gear to overtake, can this bike not just twist and go in top gear and have plenty of power to overtake quickly ?.

and also doe's the full fairing prevent new tarsealing shingle getting caught where the 4 header pipes join into 1. A real pain on my naked 600 Bandit.

Jantar
16th March 2013, 20:02
Tell me , it is mention further back about changing to 4th gear to overtake, can this bike not just twist and go in top gear and have plenty of power to overtake quickly ?.

and also doe's the full fairing prevent new tarsealing shingle getting caught where the 4 header pipes join into 1. A real pain on my naked 600 Bandit.

Around town, in 50 kmh areas, it is probably best to change down to 4th to overtake, but on the open road 6th gear is fine.

The full fairing helps, but a fender extender helps even more.

Edbear
16th March 2013, 20:09
Around town, in 50 kmh areas, it is probably best to change down to 4th to overtake, but on the open road 6th gear is fine.

The full fairing helps, but a fender extender helps even more.

I found sixth fine once over 65km/h. Engine like an electric motor with torque from any revs! If you twist it at 80km/h you better be expecting it! :pinch:

raziel1983
18th March 2013, 19:17

Holy crap. If the Bandit 1250 doesn't have enough roll on power in top gear, then nothing does!

Jantar
18th March 2013, 19:26
Tell me , it is mention further back about changing to 4th gear to overtake, can this bike not just twist and go in top gear and have plenty of power to overtake quickly ?.....
I've re-read the entire thread and I can't find any mention of using 4th gear to overtake. Can you point us to the post?

paturoa
18th March 2013, 19:39
....behind cars at 100 klicks I kick it down two gears to pass ... it will pass most vehicles in their own length in fourth gear ...

I've re-read the entire thread and I can't find any mention of using 4th gear to overtake. Can you point us to the post?

Fourth = 4th

YellowDog
18th March 2013, 19:39
I tested this bike quite thoroughly. The spec is just fantastic and it is certainly a great tourer. It was really comfy and the Mrs loved it.

I just didn't like the then new 1250 engine at all. I am sure there are a lot of cheap mods with the airbox/exhaust en all, but it just wan't for me at that time.

I would not ever overtake in 4th gear, unless I was on the motorway. I'd just make sure I was around 5000 revs and be in whatever gear corresponds :yes:

Labouring gears, rather then changing, is a big no no in my book. Get a scooter if you want to do that.

gonzo_akl
18th March 2013, 19:41
I'm pleased you like it ... I have a "real" one .. an 09 1250 bought from new ...

The legal speed limit is a serious issue - my 1250 absolutely purrs and handles like a dream at 180 klicks ... behind cars at 100 klicks I kick it down two gears to pass ... it will pass most vehicles in their own length in fourth gear ...

It's got to be the best thing I have ever ridden ..

I think he is referring to this comment by Banditbandit.

Jantar
18th March 2013, 19:43
Fourth = 4th

Thanks. I missed that, and changing down isn't needed.

I would not ever overtake in 4th gear, unless I was on the motorway. I'd just make sure I was around 5000 revs and be in whatever gear corresponds :yes:.....

5000 rpm is 133 kmh in 6th, and peak torque is at 3750, right at 100 kmh. How can winding it on when right at peak torque be considered "Labouring gears"?

Edbear
18th March 2013, 20:07
Thanks. I missed that, and changing down isn't needed.

5000 rpm is 133 kmh in 6th, and peak torque is at 3750, right at 100 kmh. How can winding it on when right at peak torque be considered "Labouring gears"?

Heyup! From 100km/h it's only an eye blink to 160 and unless you glance at the speedo you don't know how fast you are going! :whistle:

Crasherfromwayback
19th March 2013, 08:24
The owners manual recommends 91.

Yeah but 91 overseas is a shitload better than our 91, which is junk. Our dyno tells us everytime there's a considerable difference in power and torque between 91-95+.

Banditbandit
19th March 2013, 10:35
Yeah 'Twas I ... I'm the zippy hoon .. I do chop it down to pass ... it depends on how fast you want to pass ... In fourth gear the bike goes around the vehicle like it's a chicane ... bugger all time spent on the wrong side of the road ... I think (from memory) If I cut it down two gears at 100 klicks (or less) and open the throttle the speedo says something on the far side of 140 klicks as I pass the front of the car ... depending on how wide you open it ...

But I rode on the back of a friend of mines' 1250 and he was in sixth gear around town (50 klicks) and the bike had no problems .. I just ride a little differently - and the bike is so versatile it is not an issue.

Yup - it is that ... I just like waving the front wheel at cars as I go passed ... (But seriously ... I did that once accidently at 130 klicks .. I didn't realise I was still in second when I flicked the throttle open .. and the front wheel was about head high beside the driver of the car ... )

But as a Bandit-riding mate said one day "These bikes are great .. pick a gear - any gear and just go ..."

I found sixth fine once over 65km/h. Engine like an electric motor with torque from any revs! If you twist it at 80km/h you better be expecting it! :pinch:

Yeah .. and if you're in third at 80 klicks and open the throttle ... hang on tight ...

It's not labouring the gears ... never said it was ... changing down just means you get around the car faster ...

And I've always run the bike on 91 ... it has no issues at all ..

Jantar
19th March 2013, 11:42

It's not labouring the gears ... never said it was ... changing down just means you get around the car faster ...

That was in response to Yellowdog's comment.

YellowDog
22nd March 2013, 16:36
That was in response to Yellowdog's comment.

I guess that's why the engine seemed so lifeless to me.

I prefer a higher revving engine.

Each to their own eh.........

Banditbandit
26th March 2013, 08:31
I guess that's why the engine seemed so lifeless to me.

I prefer a higher revving engine.

Each to their own eh.........

Yeah .. That's probably why I change down a couple of gears to pass cars at 100 klicks or less .. the motor is more responsive ... it does have a bit more life in it at higher revs ...

eldog
24th May 2014, 12:02

I just brought this to extend the rear mudguard

http://kewwibike.blogspot.co.nz/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=11

brought from

http://www.bobsbikestuff.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2023832-Suzuki-GSX650F-20082012-GSX1250FA-Extenda-Fenda-050085.html

its a pyramid ductail, fits nice, attaches with a sort of double sided tape-needs to be clamped for the glue to set over 24 hours, the part overlaps the mudguard.

it will stop the top box from getting covered in yuck etc

Jantar
24th May 2014, 12:47
I just brought this to extend the rear mudguard

http://kewwibike.blogspot.co.nz/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=11

Thanks, I have now ordered one. :niceone:

caspernz
25th May 2014, 08:38
Interesting read...and in anticipating the power deficiency of the 1250 well in advance I went up one notch and got the real Suzuki sports tourer, the GSX1300RA...

Nice write up of the 1250 though. My brother had one, might be the reason I didn't buy one :bleh:

eldog
25th May 2014, 15:17
Yeah but 91 overseas is a shitload better than our 91, which is junk. Our dyno tells us everytime there's a considerable difference in power and torque between 91-95+.

can you elaborate on that. seems like most here run on 91, does it depend on supplier/brand?

How often do you recommend a tune up from new?
Is there anything to look out for regarding service etc?

once I get my crap together (next year) could ride it to Welly for you to look at if you want

been reading www.Kewwibike.blogspot.com (http://www.Kewwibike.blogspot.com) its interesting reading too...

could this bike become classic?

nzspokes
29th July 2016, 20:13
So to dredge this thread, I now have one of these.

Its a very good standard bike but needs so help to be better. Ive sorted the forks with springs and Gold Valves. O2 delete has been done and it has sorted the constant speed slight surge. Changing the mirrors to lower smaller ones has solved the buffeting. Pair has been blocked to stop the popping slowing down. Have changed the pegs into the lower position which has made it more cumfy. Renthal ultra lows has made the front end light.

It will be going to be dynoed to free up the top end power. I will probably remove the secondry butterflys that start closing at 7500 rpm. A Nitron rear shock will be ordered soon. Maybe go -1 on the front sprocket as well.

They are a very smooth bike to ride and to be fair handles better than I thought it would. GSXFA seems to be valved firmer and it has stronger springs.

nzspokes
31st July 2016, 18:59
Couple more decent rides on it now. Very comfortable and very easy to ride. Couple of adjustments to the suspension and she turns fine. Suspension being sorted helps the front brakes no end.

Will look at a screen extension as the stock one is to low. I like the look of the adjustable Givi one.

Looking forward to see what dyno time brings.

Ulsterkiwi
3rd August 2016, 22:19
So to dredge this thread, I now have one of these.

Its a very good standard bike but needs so help to be better. Ive sorted the forks with springs and Gold Valves. O2 delete has been done and it has sorted the constant speed slight surge. Changing the mirrors to lower smaller ones has solved the buffeting. Pair has been blocked to stop the popping slowing down. Have changed the pegs into the lower position which has made it more cumfy. Renthal ultra lows has made the front end light.

It will be going to be dynoed to free up the top end power. I will probably remove the secondry butterflys that start closing at 7500 rpm. A Nitron rear shock will be ordered soon. Maybe go -1 on the front sprocket as well.

They are a very smooth bike to ride and to be fair handles better than I thought it would. GSXFA seems to be valved firmer and it has stronger springs.
When you get the nitron do not be tempted to go cheap. Get the R2 with separate compression and rebound clickers and get the remote preload adjuster. From memory you take a pillion semi-regularly? If yes you will thank me for reminding you to do this. Much easier to dial in just what you need and maintain a happy bike even loaded up. I ended up getting the remote added afterwards, more hassle and cost a wee bit more. It would have been worse except RT cut me a deal on a second hand one.

nzspokes
4th August 2016, 17:38
When you get the nitron do not be tempted to go cheap. Get the R2 with separate compression and rebound clickers and get the remote preload adjuster. From memory you take a pillion semi-regularly? If yes you will thank me for reminding you to do this. Much easier to dial in just what you need and maintain a happy bike even loaded up. I ended up getting the remote added afterwards, more hassle and cost a wee bit more. It would have been worse except RT cut me a deal on a second hand one.

That was my plan anyway. Part of the reason for this bike is I will be traveling for work doing training. So at times I will be carrying a decent amount of gear with me. Now I have to work out how to adjust the headlight.

On that note, what is a good touring windscreen for them?

Ulsterkiwi
4th August 2016, 17:58
Depends on your height. I had the Vario touring one on mine then changed to a zero gravity touring one which was better. I am 1.96m though so no screen that will aesthetically please is ever going to work perfectly for me on that bike. The ZG range is good value I reckon. You could consider a madstad but they are spendy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nzspokes
4th August 2016, 18:19
Depends on your height. I had the Vario touring one on mine then changed to a zero gravity touring one which was better. I am 1.96m though so no screen that will aesthetically please is ever going to work perfectly for me on that bike. The ZG range is good value I reckon. You could consider a madstad but they are spendy.....

Im 174cm so not tall. Thinking of just getting one of the little Givi add on jobs.

Ulsterkiwi
4th August 2016, 18:23
Yep, the ability to try different heights and angles is the best way to go if you aren't sure

nzspokes
12th August 2016, 20:47
Wednesday/Thursday I had a trip down to National Park to train someone. 800ks over the two days.

So now Im really starting to gel with it. It can be a relaxed tourer or go bonkers if you want. If you want to cruze just leave it in 6th. If you want fun in the twisties leave it in 3rd and let it rev. Power falls off after 7500rpm but the stage2 kit I have on order will solve that.

I will try to grab one of the Givi add on screen things if time allows tomorrow. Wind buffeting is the biggest problem Im having with the bike.

mulletman
13th August 2016, 10:38
Wind buffeting is the biggest problem Im having with the bike.

Maybe whip the mirrors off for a bit and see if that lessens the wind.

nzspokes
13th August 2016, 12:39
Wind buffeting is the biggest problem Im having with the bike.

Maybe whip the mirrors off for a bit and see if that lessens the wind.

Done that and it helped heaps, fitted lower and wider ones. Side benefit is I can see behind me now.

caseye
13th August 2016, 20:20
Done that and it helped heaps, fitted lower and wider ones. Side benefit is I can see behind me now.

For a bandit? Where from and how muchy? please.
Good ride those roads aye.

nzspokes
13th August 2016, 22:52
For a bandit? Where from and how muchy? please.
Good ride those roads aye.

They are like these but the ones I got had fairing mounts. I also spaced them out a bit. Happy with them.

Keep in Mind the Bandit is very different in the fairing so I dont know if the mirrors would work out the same.

Picked up a Givi extension for the screen today which seems to work. Also made a tank holder so I could get the sync right, it was way out.

On other news, sold some bits overseas and the Paypal is looking healthy. My stage 2 kit will be on the way from the US and Im trying to track down some Arrow headers. Looking forward to 30% more power.....

nzspokes
26th August 2016, 21:06
So My stage 2 kit is fitted. Hope to ride it over the weekend.

Also got a givi touring screen for it. With my extension on it works really well.

And fitted a fork brace.

nzspokes
28th August 2016, 07:36
Stage 2 kit fitted. Different bike bike. More power everywhere and a lot smoother. I may go with some Arrow headers for another 9hp up top and 7kg weight loss.

Fork brace has also settled the front end. Bike is much more confident in turns.

Ulsterkiwi
28th August 2016, 08:17
Hard to imagine that motor getting any smoother...

nzspokes
28th August 2016, 08:49
Hard to imagine that motor getting any smoother...

Stock they are very lean. Very, very lean. All to pass emissions. Just removing the secondry butterflys, K&N filter and a cheap control box finds 25hp and 17ftlbs torque. :banana:

Its now a grunter.

nzspokes
2nd October 2016, 06:55
Arrow headers ordered. Sounds like 6 weeks to get here.

Then will need to re-tune the Supertune.

reasonable
2nd October 2016, 11:17
Not any new ones for sale at the moment so are these still being manufactured ?

I see there is a red GSF1250 available but dealers don't stock the GSX1250FA .

How come ? - any thing to do with EU smoke restrictions or just the PC world gone mad

nzspokes
2nd October 2016, 11:32
Not any new ones for sale at the moment so are these still being manufactured ?

I see there is a red GSF1250 available but dealers don't stock the GSX1250FA .

How come ? - any thing to do with EU smoke restrictions or just the PC world gone mad

Looks like NZ got a heap of them on sale a while back which have sold through. 13k from memory.

New GSF is exactly the same with a minor change to the fairing.

nzspokes
12th October 2016, 17:07
And the last motor Mod is a set of Arrow headers. I have the retune to suit for the Supertune. Nice looking bit of kit.

mulletman
12th October 2016, 18:44
Nice :cool:

nzspokes
18th October 2016, 19:54
The headers are on and the new tune is in. :headbang:

Not had it on the open road yet but it feels to have a heap more top end. Stock header is twin wall and very restricted. Along with 5 kg heavier.

Sounds real good now as well.

nzspokes
30th October 2016, 10:51
So quickshifter now in. :shit:

Nice bike now.

nzspokes
4th April 2017, 19:23
Small update on this. Had the bike flashed and dynoed today. 122.9hp and 90ftlb torque. :headbang:

nzspokes
31st July 2017, 22:00
A dude in Greece has unlocked one up to 160hp......

He has bigger cams going in and is chasing 170hp.

nzspokes
31st July 2017, 22:02
Wrong chart

nzspokes
11th January 2020, 20:09
And to bump an old thread. My GSX1250fa is for sale.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2479077130

Dobbin
12th January 2020, 13:28

Pretty low mileage. Someone will be very happy with that. Mine is coming up 150,000 km now, and needs a new chain and sprocket for the second time.

The End
12th January 2020, 18:04

Oh boy that's tempting.

What's the story with Scott listing them, does he charge a margin as commission?

nzspokes
12th January 2020, 20:39
Oh boy that's tempting.

What's the story with Scott listing them, does he charge a margin as commission?

Well you are too late. It sold this afternoon.:cool:

Ive got lots of other things going on to deal with selling bikes. So Scott gave it a big clean and machine polish. Then he handled the listing and selling. The fee you need to discuss with him but for me it was a no brainer.

His polish work is stunning. https://www.facebook.com/SGT-Performance-125067828892947/

The End
12th January 2020, 20:43
Well you are too late. It sold this afternoon.:cool:

Ive got lots of other things going on to deal with selling bikes. So Scott gave it a big clean and machine polish. Then he handled the listing and selling. The fee you need to discuss with him but for me it was a no brainer.

His polish work is stunning. https://www.facebook.com/SGT-Performance-125067828892947/

Ah bugger, that was a hell of a deal. Was seriously considering it for a moment.

Yeah he's worked on my car and some friends too, does a bloody great job.