PDA

View Full Version : Ride New Years Eve (Wed)

Andrew
30th December 2003, 19:25
Tomorrow will be a nice day, and a nice day it will be to for riding :Punk:

This time I'll be going up to Mangawhai heads. Meeting at the Shell station in Albany for 10am and will depart 10.30am. The best way to go would perhaps be the back road to Wellsford via Kaukapakapa. Stop for lunch/eats at Mangawhai and then go back to Albany through the main highway.

Who's up for a final 2003 KB ride?

Any questions contact me on 0211062704

Yamahamaman
30th December 2003, 19:40
I suppose I could sneak away from work again :whistle: Yeah Ynot.

What?
31st December 2003, 05:19
I recommend the Naja cafe (attached to garden centre) for lunch. Wife and I had dinner there back in March - best meal ever, anywhere, and not expensive.

MikeL
31st December 2003, 07:44
Andrew
I'm keen but have some business in Remuera until just after 10:00. Will try to be at Albany before 10:30 but it will depend on traffic conditions etc. If you leave before I get there I will meet up at first stop - Wellsford??

Andrew
31st December 2003, 08:06
Andrew
I'm keen but have some business in Remuera until just after 10:00. Will try to be at Albany before 10:30 but it will depend on traffic conditions etc. If you leave before I get there I will meet up at first stop - Wellsford??

Wellsford sounds like a good place to stop. I don't mind waiting till say 10.45am at Albany though. Txt me if you know you can make it for around then.

Andrew
1st January 2004, 11:50
The day started off nicely with Yamahamaman the first to show up followed my MikeL quarter of an hour or so later. The weather was sweet and the motivation to ride was there, so yamahamaman led the way through Riverhead Forest.

Surprisingly there wasn't any traffic going along the back road up to Wellsford. The local paper had said that this road would be quite busy because the main highway was so busy.

We picked up some bikers north of Kaukapakapa who followed us in to Wellsford. Once in Wellsford the thought of having a coffee in such a busy place just did not appeal, so we carried on to Mangawhai.

The road off the main highway going into Mangawhai was a lot of fun, must remember to do that again soon! When in Mangawahai we stopped at the 'Smashed Pipi Cafe' for lunch. I knew this place did good food due to the last KBer ride out there. The atmosphere was so relaxing there, good food & good company, couldn't ask for more!

When it was time to leave we carried on toward the surf beach. The carpark at the beach was full, but that was to be expected. We parked up, MikeL and I went to have a look at the beach, while Yamahamaman looked after the bikes - Thanks dude! It was meant to be a surf beach, but the water was so flat. It looked like something out of an Australian holiday broschure. I couldn't resist the opportunity to talk to the lifeguard in his dune buggy. His name was Dameon and his buggy was a Kawasaki mule. Never heard of them but thanks to Dameon I'm that much more educated.

I managed to feel our way out of Mangawhai to a town just north of Wellsford. We then took the main highway back to Wellsford. The traffic going into Wellsford from Auckland was backed almost half the distance to Warkworth. Was I glad that we took the back road going up there or what! The run from Warkworth to Orewa was generally busy but at least the traffic was moving at a good speed.

We stopped at a Cafe in Orewa for a drink and a debrief on the days fun.

It was an enjoyable day (it always is on KBer rides) and a good end to a chapter for Kiwibiker 2003. Thanks MikeL and Yamahamaman for your company. All the best for 2004!

Andrew
1st January 2004, 11:52
And the remainder photos.......

MikeL
1st January 2004, 15:15
Hey Andrew those photos are amazingly good for such a tiny cellphone camera. Makes me wonder why I spent over $1000 on a digital camera (which I usually forget to pack on a ride anyway).
Apart from the fairly heavy traffic on the way home it was an almost perfect day. Thanks Andrew and Murray for your company. Looking forward to the next one.