PDA

View Full Version : Trials Meeting - Hamilton

Trakxntrials
3rd August 2005, 21:07
Just keeping you interested guys up to date on Important dates: (not with me!) The trials scene:
The Hamilton Motorcycle Club are putting on the 2005 Trials Tri-Series, Round 2, this weekend. Incorporating "The Brian Barnsley Memorial Trial"
Sunday 7th August. Venue: Stringfield's Place, Scotsman Valley Road, Signposted from Hamilton - Morrinsville Highway at Tauwhare Road.
No Dogs or Pets Allowed. Sign On 10.00am. Start at 11.00am. Entry All Classes $15.00. Entry On The Day. Trial Format 8 Sections of 5 Laps.
:ride:

Motu
3rd August 2005, 22:21
WHAAAAAT!!!?? I thought it was at the end of the month! I gotta pull my wheels off and clean the rust out of the brakes from the last trial,drain the chain and she's a runner.I hope there is a day licence as I haven't renewed mine....or joined a new club,looks like I have to go join tomorrow night.Gotta map?

Waylander
3rd August 2005, 22:38
In Hamilton just off of Morinxville road? Just out from my house. Might actually go watch this. Any more detailed directions?

Trakxntrials
4th August 2005, 06:11
But Hey, Weylander, perhaps you could put up a smoke signal for us - kind of veer us in the right direction. :rofl:

I have no idea where this place is either - I am getting better directions later today. I checked on the map and have a basic idea where it is. So as long as I take my cell phone (with useful numbers on it) I should eventually find my way there.

But keep watching this space - I will look up a map online later and post it on here. But you have to be nice to me :love:

Motu, now don't go into a frenzied panic - they won't turn you away *wink, wink* this is what the Big NM told me. If you got any questions, he is calling me today at about 10.30am. I could pass them on for you ???

Catch you later :ride:

Oscar
4th August 2005, 09:02
I might come and take some pics...

Trakxntrials
4th August 2005, 10:28
Take some pics, Why not give it a try and ride :)))

Oscar
4th August 2005, 11:06
Take some pics, Why not give it a try and ride :)))

Shall I bring the V-Strom or the LC4?

Waylander
4th August 2005, 12:05
Just a thought, if several of us are going to this, (how much to just watch BTW) we could all meet somewhere near here and ride out there together. I'll go out today and see if I can find it later on.

Motu
4th August 2005, 15:12
No charge to watch,trials is very low key,you won't find a more relaxed buch of guys competing in anything than this lot.Bring something that allows you to stomp around in mud and stand in the rain.

I've never been to this property so don't know what to expect,but the Hamilton boys always put on a good trial,although sometimes the sections are more of a challange.In the Tri Series,which is three trials held by 3 clubs in different areas,all the grades compete with an equal opporunity for placings,quite a challenge for the organisers to keep all grades equal.I missed the first round in Tauranga earlier this year so have no hope of a place,it'll just be a fun day for me.

Trakxntrials
4th August 2005, 16:01
I am armed with a map and directions

Coming from Hamilton, head out to Morrinsville Highway 26.
Go pass Newstead, there is a crematorium on your Left - keep going straight on the main road.
3-4 kms out of Newstead will be a road on your Right Platt Road - should have a trials sign there. Turn right down Platt Road and veer Left and head towards Tauwhare.
Go through Tauwhare and head to the end of the road about 2-3 kms and turn Right. Should be another Trials sign there.
Follow the main road, sort of veers Left, then Right - This is Scotsman Valley Road. Should be a Trials sign here somewhere???
Go into the property, down a long drive way, past the house, the wool shed, the Utility shed and another shed of some description (will have signs up) and we all should have arrived safely.

There is a few of us heading down from Auckland - but I am going in a van, with my man & two bikes - and if the terrain is not as hilly as I am told, I might have a go - as long as you promise not to laugh :no:

I have attached a map for you too. Arn't I just sooooooooooooo sweet :rofl:

Waylander
4th August 2005, 16:13
I live about where the Purple X is on the map. There is also a BurgerKing on the intersection of Morrinsville road and Cambridge Road. Anyone wanna meet there?

Trakxntrials
4th August 2005, 16:24
Hi Waylander, as I said if you want someone to cruise in with keep an eye out for a Light green/grey Toyota Lite Ace van, with two Trials bikes in it. Leaving the road bikes at home and bring out the trusty work horse loaded with bikes. Terry & I will probably pass by there about 9.15am - 9.30am. Not too sure if Andy & Brian will follow us down, they are always late. And I havent heard from anyone else. Not sure if I will ride yet - this is my first trial with a bike - hehe - if it is too hilly I will beat the feet armed with my camera.
I have heard that once you reach the top of the hill, there is an airfield there and the views are awesome. :)

Motu
8th August 2005, 09:52
Oh boy,that was some trial eh? No excuse for my performance,apart from trials not being high on my list of ''to do'' this year,and a year of few trials as well...so out of shape physical and mentaly.What a choice property! We were nearly up in the clouds with 100 mile views to the east...I caught a glimpse taking a breather after countless times picking up and restarting my bike.This was a trial like the good old days - riding in the rain,mud and slush,some sections becoming impossible to do because of the weather,I really enjoy this sort of trial - but section one spoilt my day.

There always seems to be one section that gets the better of me,and section one was my problem this time.The engine braking on the Honda is so powerful it was stronger than the brake and I was only just able to make the turn at the bottom of the hill,this upset my approach to ''the creek'',with a steep climb out,but I was never able to get that far.Contrary to what the observer was telling everyone I knew I had to hit the creek on the gas with the Honda,but my bad approach meant I had the throttle closed and stalled twice,the next couple off attempts I aborted because I was off line again,I didn't attempt it on the 5th round,just clipped a 5 myself on section 7...naughty boy.

The rest of the sections were pretty good - 5 laps over 8 sections,so 40 sections to ride - I was even able to do clean rounds on a couple of sections in the pouring rain,the Honda just lapped up the hillclimb,that was a heap of fun.Some sections became totaly impossible,but I attempted them all,breaking my front guard in one tumble.One steep slippery climb I dumped the bike on,it was impossale to even stand,so couldn't pick the bike up,or even stand up myself,I had to drag the bike down on it's side,me on my knees,to level ground so I could pick it up.At the end of the day,exhausted,the bike fell off it's stand beside my van,and broke the clutch lever.

We had some Expert A Grade riders there for the day,Warren L being possibly the best in NZ at the moment - he was on the new Montesa/Honda 4 stroke,there was also a Sherco 4 stroke,this is just a 143cc Yamaha motor,but in a modern frame it was able to do big bike stuff,very impressive.I can hardly move this morning,every muscle in my body aches - I enjoy that feeling,to know I pushed my body beyond what I normaly expect of it.

Hope you enjoyed your day in the mud MrSkid!

Mr Skid
8th August 2005, 12:11
Oh boy,that was some trial eh? No excuse for my performance,apart from trials not being high on my list of ''to do'' this year,and a year of few trials as well...so out of shape physical and mentaly.What a choice property! We were nearly up in the clouds with 100 mile views to the east...I caught a glimpse taking a breather after countless times picking up and restarting my bike.This was a trial like the good old days - riding in the rain,mud and slush,some sections becoming impossible to do because of the weather,I really enjoy this sort of trial - but section one spoilt my day.

There always seems to be one section that gets the better of me,and section one was my problem this time.The engine braking on the Honda is so powerful it was stronger than the brake and I was only just able to make the turn at the bottom of the hill,this upset my approach to ''the creek'',with a steep climb out,but I was never able to get that far.Contrary to what the observer was telling everyone I knew I had to hit the creek on the gas with the Honda,but my bad approach meant I had the throttle closed and stalled twice,the next couple off attempts I aborted because I was off line again,I didn't attempt it on the 5th round,just clipped a 5 myself on section 7...naughty boy.

The rest of the sections were pretty good - 5 laps over 8 sections,so 40 sections to ride - I was even able to do clean rounds on a couple of sections in the pouring rain,the Honda just lapped up the hillclimb,that was a heap of fun.Some sections became totaly impossible,but I attempted them all,breaking my front guard in one tumble.One steep slippery climb I dumped the bike on,it was impossale to even stand,so couldn't pick the bike up,or even stand up myself,I had to drag the bike down on it's side,me on my knees,to level ground so I could pick it up.At the end of the day,exhausted,the bike fell off it's stand beside my van,and broke the clutch lever.

We had some Expert A Grade riders there for the day,Warren L being possibly the best in NZ at the moment - he was on the new Montesa/Honda 4 stroke,there was also a Sherco 4 stroke,this is just a 143cc Yamaha motor,but in a modern frame it was able to do big bike stuff,very impressive.I can hardly move this morning,every muscle in my body aches - I enjoy that feeling,to know I pushed my body beyond what I normaly expect of it.

Hope you enjoyed your day in the mud MrSkid!

I showed up when Motu was lining up to do section 1, and announced "I've come a long way to see this, you owe me a big crash!"
I wonder if that might have put him off on that section..

It's an interesting event to watch, people were going through sections on bikes that I couldn't even try on foot. It's certainly a test of skill, might have to give it a go myself at some point.

To get to the trial I came down SH22 from Mercer to Nagawahia, then through Hamilton to SH26. I'd replaced my rear tire, which was previously a 130/80-17 with a 120/90-17 (OEM for the XT).

I thought I'd gained an extra 20 hp riding 22 in the wet- it was sliding exiting the corners, and coming through Glen Murray I had it spin up at 80kmh in a straight line.

..looked for pieces of shattered fairings from the ride that went down on Saturday, but couldn't see any.

Comming home I stopped in Morinsville to gas up as I was running low. Saw a gang member riding a naked bmw boxer, wearing a matt black full face with out a visor. Thought that would have been a bit smooth and refined for the look he was going for..

Trakxntrials
8th August 2005, 20:51
your bike must of been worn out too - what did ya do to the poor thing :argh:

Nice to meet you Mr Skid - I wonder how that Ninja managed ??? On the way out of the property I did happen to notice One Big Slide Mark on the right hand side of the Raceway - I wonder if that was him??? :thud: Ouch!

Well here you go fellas, some quick pics of some of the action.
The first one being the 'Infamous' section One - should be called the "Nemesis of Motu" :clap:

But Wow, what a wet, mud sodden day. Well I managed to avoid all kinds of slips n slides (and I didn't ride) too nasty for me. I was the clever one, kept my bike clean n dry. :ride: Waiting for the next sunny day.

I took heaps n heaps of photos - here is a small sample - Enjoy :)