PDA

View Full Version : Honda C50 questions

Willdat?
25th July 2012, 11:42
Hi all, I just picked up a Honda C50 that I had planned to modify, but on closer inspection it appears to be in pretty good nick, just missing a few cosmetic items to complete restoration.

Has anyone got any sources apart from ebay.com for getting parts out of Thailand or wherever?
The parts I'm missing/need replacing are leg shields, front fender and most plastic lenses.

What's going to be the cheapest route to get this back on the road?
It's vinned as a motorbike and rego lapsed back in 2001.
I have a plate for a C50 registered as a moped which also has lapsed rego (and no Vin).

And one last - and possibly stupidest question!

In what order are the gears?
I think all the way up is 1, then down to N, then down to 2 and finally down to 3, surprisingly hard to Google this for some reason

BRAD BRASCO
25th July 2012, 12:44
register as a moped, easy to do.. go pay some money and get a plate.. (as long as it's 50cc)..

ebay is actually a great source.. safest using paypal too.

i have some C50 parts at home, feel free to message me and i'll see if i have it.
mainly bits and pieces off one i wrecked..
maybe some indicators, but no shield or guard..

let me know if you need the manuals too (i have them on pdf) :cool:

Willdat?
27th July 2012, 12:32
register as a moped, easy to do.. go pay some money and get a plate.. (as long as it's 50cc)..

i have some C50 parts at home, feel free to message me and i'll see if i have it.

Everything winging its way here off ebay, it's going to be quite the well travelled C50, well the some of its parts will be!

Thanks for the offer RE C50 parts, the only thing I'm really after now is the plates off one regoed as a moped. Since July last year you're unable to just go to the post office to rego a moped :(

I'd love the workshop manuals, if you could flick them my way that would be much appreciated!

stvheat
28th October 2012, 06:50

Hi there just wondering if you still have some C50 parts available, I am after some bits and pieces ?
Thanks

FJRider
28th October 2012, 12:46
Moped rules ...

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/43/mopeds.html

And going by this thread ... a C50 shouldn't be registered as a moped. As it is capable of more than 50 km's/hr.
Get caught over that speed and you may be liable for a "Incorrect Registration" ticket ... regardless if you were not exceeding any posted speed limit.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/71240-Honda-C50-top-speed

According to Wiki ... the C50 had a 3.4 Kilowatt engine (mopeds are only allowed 2 KW)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Super_Cub

Willdat?
28th October 2012, 18:38
Moped rules ...

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/43/mopeds.html

According to Wiki ... the C50 had a 3.4 Kilowatt engine (mopeds are only allowed 2 KW)

Just to clarify, new rules in 2011 mean the 2 Kw rule has been waived.

FJRider
28th October 2012, 19:38
Just to clarify, new rules in 2011 mean the 2 Kw rule has been waived.

Read and click on flow chart C.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/technical-bulletins/moped-entry-certification-class-la,-lb

Willdat?
29th October 2012, 08:21
Read and click on flow chart C.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/technical-bulletins/moped-entry-certification-class-la,-lb

Correct you are, interestingly I managed to get NZTA and a VTNZ to agree that provided it was limited to 50km/h that it was a moped...ah well it has since been sold! My RMX50, now that's something that shouldn't be a moped :shutup:

FJRider
29th October 2012, 15:23
Correct you are, interestingly I managed to get NZTA and a VTNZ to agree that provided it was limited to 50km/h that it was a moped...

According to that link ...

Under the Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Standards Compliance Amendment 2011, a vehicle of class LA or LB is required to under go entry certification when entering service. A moped first registered in New Zealand prior to 1 July 2011 is exempt from certification and VIN under the Rule. However, they must be confirmed for classification, previous registration and ownership as required by the Land Transport (Motor Vehicle Registration and Licencing) Regulations 2011.

To be confirmed for clasification ...

Statement of Compliance(SoC) from the vehicle manufacture stating the maximum speed, (see 2.1 of Inspection and certification for SOC requirements)
Letter from the vehicle manufacture stating the VIN and maximum speed
Technical specifications from the vehicle manufacture showing the maximum speed for that particular make and model

Giving an assurance to the office girl on the phone, it wont go over 50 km's is ... sadly ... not quite enough.

Pigeon
3rd November 2012, 23:33

Hi Brad

Would appreciate getting hold of a pdf manual for the c50. Any Idea how reliable the condensers on these are? I've had it for 20years- started missing and periodically dieing on me. Carb checked and clean. Compression Ok. New battery. Not a hell of a lot else is there apart from condenser. Coils also checked out ok. Any help appreciated.......