PDA

View Full Version : Displaying "L" plate for Learner license

ycng76
25th July 2012, 15:29
Where should I display my "L" plate on my motorcycle according to law and especially when sitting for restricted test.
Thanks in advance

BRAD BRASCO
25th July 2012, 15:40
on the back so its visible.. usually just hang below number plate, share a screw..

or ask the tester when you get there, good way to show your safe and get in the good books..

ycng76
25th July 2012, 15:44
Currently, I cable-tied it to a top-box just below the top-box reflector. So, I guess that should be fine as it is more visible than hanging it below the number plate. Am i right to say that there isn't any requirement to hang it in front?

BRAD BRASCO
25th July 2012, 15:47
yep. just in the back..

Tigadee
26th July 2012, 08:33
It must face directly back, not to the sides left or right.

It must be rightside up, not upside down. :msn-wink: So an 'L', not a '7'...

Don't have it hanging too close to the back tyre. It can get sucked towards the trye and get worn away [true story], or else damaged by sand/gravel/dirt thrown up by the tyre.

You are allowed to go at 100kph on the motorway now, before October or November last year, L platers were only allowed 70kph on the motorway.

Old Steve
27th July 2012, 10:36
I cable tied mine to the rear indicator support so it hung clear of the number plate, I had to cut a little square out of the top corner so it fitted around the actual indicator and it probably lifted up as I rode. But I was never stopped and would have claimed innocence and tightened the cable ties if I had been.

RuoskaNZ
31st July 2012, 16:51
Had A piece of note paper wrapped in sticky tape as mine lol, I got caught once without it and received a decent fine, from then I kept it just under the windshield for general road use, the only time that was not good enough was when I sat my restricted where I managed to wedge it in place, the tester did not care how hori it was.

EDIT: This was while i had the ninja 250 '08 which had a pretty decent gap to put stuff under the windshield.

pratik8890
4th November 2012, 07:57
On the back, underneath the Number plate, place it along with your wof and rego with a slightly longer screw with a visor to its back to further lock them all. I only had my L plate when I went for my restricted license test, Its too risky on a motorway to have it on and drive the Bike at 70 k/h so I used to carry it in my bike and drove carefully to decrease the chances of getting pulled over by a cop, even if you do get pulled over just say that you may have dropped the L plate while riding but you have another one in your bag. Hope that helps!!