PDA

View Full Version : So I recently joined the Hi Viz brigade

GSW
26th July 2012, 13:00
So I recently joined the Hi Viz brigade

After seeing over and over again questions about if Hi Viz, is going to be enforced and if it really makes any difference, and as I leave for work just before 6am everyday and its usually dark, I had a think about what would work best for me and what could I buy that I would use and not feel like a complete knob. I had to get what ever I was going to buy with a very limited budget and see if the Hi Viz thing is really worth the trouble.

I didn’t want to get a Hi Viz vest or fork out for a new Hi Viz jacket as I wear a back pack everyday and it would be covered over most of the time and I wear enough layers as it is.

I came to the conclusion that something along the lines of a Hi Viz Back Pack would work... I found that Camel Back does a very limited run for forestry workers but they don’t hold much more than 2 litres of fluid and a couple of extra pockets. So I spent some time looking at what there was around cheap and no one really had anything that was suitable.

I spent some time on Tardme looking for something cheap that would do and came across 4 or 5 different bag’s but only one that would work for me. So I brought one of these: http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/camping-outdoors/packs/other/auction-497536883.htm

I thought it was a bit expensive, but got one anyway.

So it arrived a couple of days later and didn’t look to bad, bigger than I expected, and thinner material than I was hoping for. I had a good look over it and the stitching looked ok, it had small stainless steel vent holes on the side that I thought might leak, but that’s not that big a deal as the whole bag is not waterproof.

It has a large compartment that I can carry all my usual gear in, wet weather gear, lunch, camera and my balaclava. The “smaller” front pocket is the same height as the main pocket but only half the depth. I feel the front pocket is a bit redundant at that size. I normally carry my iPod, iPod charger, spare ear plugs and any documents I might need for the day. There is also a small inner pocket between the main compartment and the front pocket I keep hand sanitizer in there. It also has a mesh side pocket on each side that you might use for a drink bottle if you were going for a walk?

The bag has 2 50mm x 250mm strips of reflective tape on the pocket, 2 50mm x 150mm strips on the sides and 1 40mm x 200mm strip on each shoulder strap. They are standard 3m reflective strips.

So the first day out, I left for work at 5;50am and headed in to Wellington, got on to the motorway just before 6am and just after getting through the Whitford Brown lights on the motorway I almost got clipped by a retard on an 08 ZX6R doing around 180kmh.. Great start...

So since I have been using the bag I have noticed a couple of things, people who aren’t looking for bikes still don’t see you! People who are looking see you and would have anyway because they were looking. But the biggest differences’ are that I now have more cars sitting right up my arse than I used to even at 110km’s and some cars now think I’m a cop and move over pretty fast. But all in all Hi Viz for me has not made a fuck load of difference.

Oh and after having and used the bag for the last 2 months the shoulder strap stitching is coming away. The bag is far too big for what I need. And the fucking thing leaks worse than a colander, so I carry everything in plastic bags inside the back pack.

Waste of money.

p.dath
26th July 2012, 13:05
You need to consider the risk you are trying to mitigate.

A person coming towards you isn't going to see a high-viz vest on your back.
A person in front of you wanting to turn acorss your path isn't going to see a high-viz back pack.

A person behind you will see it (if they are looking), but you don't get that many accidents where motorbike riders get struck from behind while moving.

So yes, no surprise at your results.

oneofsix
26th July 2012, 13:08
Riding into Welly from north of the P-town CBD on the motorways before dawn. You basically bought a grey backpack with wide reflective stripes which you hoped would be seen over your tail light, reflectors and side reflectors on your bike. And then it didn't even work well as a backpack :nya:
Interesting read though. Confirms my thoughts on hi-viz.

GSW
26th July 2012, 13:09
You need to consider the risk you are trying to mitigate.

A person coming towards you isn't going to see a high-viz vest on your back.
A person in front of you wanting to turn acorss your path isn't going to see a high-viz back pack.

A person behind you will see it (if they are looking), but you don't get that many accidents where motorbike riders get struck from behind while moving.

So yes, no surprise at your results.

There are Hi Viz Strips on the sholder straps that are easy to see when looking at the rider from the front and side. The light on the front of the bike is also seen when in front of the bike/rider.

GSW
26th July 2012, 13:11
Riding into Welly from north of the P-town CBD on the motorways before dawn. You basically bought a grey backpack with wide reflective stripes which you hoped would be seen over your tail light, reflectors and side reflectors on your bike. And then it didn't even work well as a backpack :nya:
Interesting read though. Confirms my thoughts on hi-viz.

It was an experiment that I wanted to try..... :yes:

oneofsix
26th July 2012, 13:17
It was an experiment that I wanted to try..... :yes:

No offence meant. You have saved me the bother of going there and for that I thank you.

Still considering wet weather gear that has reflectors but only because the wet weather gear will cover the reflectors already built into the cordura gear. Current techniflex gear is plain dark blue.

GSW
26th July 2012, 13:24
No offence meant. You have saved me the bother of going there and for that I thank you.

Still considering wet weather gear that has reflectors but only because the wet weather gear will cover the reflectors already built into the cordura gear. Current techniflex gear is plain dark blue.

None taken Brother.

I am also thinking of getting new Wet Weather gear with reflective strips , but only because what I have is old and leaking... nothing worse than getting to work and having wet undies.

oneofsix
26th July 2012, 13:33
None taken Brother.

I am also thinking of getting new Wet Weather gear with reflective strips , but only because what I have is old and leaking... nothing worse than getting to work and having wet undies.

Wet undie, wet socks, cause its run down the inside of the leg not because the boots leaked, a bit like pee your pants only not as warm, and if you a fat fella like me a wet belly where the jecket is squeezed between belly and tank.
I find the Techniflex good as it rolls up reasonably small, is tough (made for farmers) and more flexable than the PVC hardware store stuff. Starting to flake after something like ten years use around home, tramping and as bike wet gear and it was seconds when I got it. I saw they also make a Techniviz range but am waiting until I have had a look at it in store.

GSW
26th July 2012, 13:55
Wet undie, wet socks, cause its run down the inside of the leg not because the boots leaked, a bit like pee your pants only not as warm, and if you a fat fella like me a wet belly where the jecket is squeezed between belly and tank.
I find the Techniflex good as it rolls up reasonably small, is tough (made for farmers) and more flexable than the PVC hardware store stuff. Starting to flake after something like ten years use around home, tramping and as bike wet gear and it was seconds when I got it. I saw they also make a Techniviz range but am waiting until I have had a look at it in store.

Sounds like great stuff and something I will have a look at. Thanks for the information.

GTRMAN
26th July 2012, 14:47

http://www.betacraft.co.nz/products/rainwear/techniflex/techniflex-high-viz-taped-parka - bright as

oneofsix
26th July 2012, 14:58
http://www.betacraft.co.nz/products/rainwear/techniflex/techniflex-high-viz-taped-parka - bright as

yeah that's were I saw it, it is just will the 5XL fit over my fat body and bike gear?

Lozza2442
26th July 2012, 16:07

Anyone know price?

The Lone Rider
28th July 2012, 10:26
Whatda reckon likelihood of less danger occurs, if the next bike I build is done fully in hi viz paint?

Something to think about. Will let you know when I get another bike, and build and paint it!

Don't think anyone else has done a chopper in hi viz!

Bassmatt
28th July 2012, 16:45
Whatda reckon likelihood of less danger occurs, if the next bike I build is done fully in hi viz paint?

Something to think about. Will let you know when I get another bike, and build and paint it!

You'll probably just end up a victim of target fixation instead.

Gremlin
29th July 2012, 20:20
Contrast is better than straight hi-viz

oneofsix
29th July 2012, 20:50

Saw a bright (fluro) pink one yesterday, does that count?

oneofsix
29th July 2012, 20:56
Contrast is better than straight hi-viz

If done right, yes. Contrast that disguises shape or causes you to blend into the background would be a wrong move, I'm thinking along the lines of naval ships using contrast to disguise their shape or zebra using contrast to actually blend into the background (of course most drivers aren't colour blind, just motorcyclist blind).

Gremlin
29th July 2012, 21:32
(of course most drivers aren't colour blind, just motorcyclist blind).
I used to think it was about threat, now I'm not so sure, as cars pull across trains and pull out in front of trucks... It's basically inattention I think. My BMW has a triangle of light on the front... people seem to see and give it a wider berth than normal. Who knows, it works so I like it!

CookMySock
30th July 2012, 12:28
Why do you need to be highly visible from behind? :confused:

The best way to get awareness on the road, is to get a loud zorst, bright headlight, and ride like a complete asshole. :motu: Everyone stays the fuck out of your way then!

I bet the 180k bloke never gets rammed from behind... There's a very good reason for that... :nya:

bluninja
30th July 2012, 13:25
Why do you need to be highly visible from behind? :confused:

If your tail light dies then the only chance of being seen from behind is a little reflector...hi viz may be beneficial then....especially if it's dark
If your bike dies, then hi viz may help you be seen when you are at the side of the road.....

I guess for a bike failure a lightweight hi viz under the seat would work; but it's a bit of a crapper if your lights fail or bike fails on an unlit street in the dark and someone then doesn't see you.

f2dz
30th July 2012, 15:40
I've thought about getting a hi viz backpack instead of wearing my vest but just for the sake of money have opted not to.

I don't enjoy wearing it and don't believe it helps a great deal to increase my visibility but it definitely can't hurt.

That being said, I don't wear it during light hours..

CookMySock
1st August 2012, 10:32
If your tail light dies then the only chance of being seen from behind is a little reflector...You're right of course, and since the tail light is on continuously it gets a lot of work. I think every second WOF mine fails for no tail-light (I ride a lot) and I didn't even know! However, the other WOF item is a rear-reflector which I think is intended to be the fall-back in this case.

I don't like hi-viz. I think it makes the rider look soft, and soft bikers are cage fodder. This is not the power-balance you need on the road.

oldrider
1st August 2012, 10:48
Reminds me of my time as an engineer on British ships, if you find an oil leak, standard procedure was fix a drip can under it, to catch the drip!

Somehow it just never seemed to occur to them that the leak should be fixed ... end of problem!

Fix the need for the flouro Hi Viz bullshit! :brick: .ffs!

Fast Eddie
1st August 2012, 17:47
grrrr

I hate hi viz..

can that be made into a plate.. h8hivz

not short enough for a bike, drat.

Fast Eddie
1st August 2012, 17:49
Reminds me of my time as an engineer on British ships, if you find an oil leak, standard procedure was fix a drip can under it, to catch the drip!

Somehow it just never seemed to occur to them that the leak should be fixed ... end of problem!

Fix the need for the flouro Hi Viz bullshit! :brick: .ffs!

haha, I went for a flying lesson last sunday, the plane we went in had a big sticker on instrument panel saying "caution this aircraft is not subject to airworthiness checks" Ran s6 I think it was. or s9.
only noticed the sticker at about 15,000 ft

nerrrd
1st August 2012, 22:32
I don't like hi-viz. I think it makes the rider look soft, and soft bikers are cage fodder. This is not the power-balance you need on the road.

I can definitely vouch for this - since I started wearing a hivis vest I've noticed cars making a special effort to get in front of me in traffic if they can; but then I fall into the category of a "soft biker" anyway (on a "soft" bike.)

Gremlin
1st August 2012, 22:44
I can certainly see how some would seem like even easier prey to cars, but it can go both ways. On my big BMW I'm reasonably certain cars take me for a cop, so give me a wider berth.

I ain't complaining...

gammaguy
1st August 2012, 23:14
fuck Hi Vis

as far as I am concerned each and every other road user is a blind,self obsessed,distracted homicidal maniac hell bent on my doom.

I am paranoid as hell with a twitchy draped brake finger and an eye on the escape route at all times.

I have been riding since 1976,never had a crash with another vehicle and I attribute this to a mixture of my paranoia and skills.

wearing a Hi Vis puts the onus on them to see me,and I for one dont hand over responsibility to fools so readily

Ill stay alive and paranoid thanks.

oneofsix
2nd August 2012, 07:25
Hay I saw the hi-vis on a rider heading in the opposite direction pre-dawn this morning. Two barely visible dirty white strips briefly glimpsed behind the glare of his headlight. Come to think of it it wasn't so much the hi-vis I glimpsed as the reflective strips, got no idea what colour the hi-vis was.

skinman
5th August 2012, 13:11
Tried the hi vis thing, didnt work still had cars pull out in front. New tactic, big black bike with noisy as F..K exhaust & look angry all the time, seems to work so far. even get cars pulling out of the way as I approach occasionally, except for taxis & white vans

GSW
9th August 2012, 11:50
Hay I saw the hi-vis on a rider heading in the opposite direction pre-dawn this morning. Two barely visible dirty white strips briefly glimpsed behind the glare of his headlight. Come to think of it it wasn't so much the hi-vis I glimpsed as the reflective strips, got no idea what colour the hi-vis was.

Which way were you heading North or South? and what time?