PDA

View Full Version : RG 150 clutch slippage. Please help!

Brayden
26th July 2012, 15:04
Hey guys.

I recently purchased an RG150 however the clutch is slipping like a biatch. Gear 1 is fine. Gear 2 slips majorly after 8k revs, it climbs the revs but the speed barely climbs. In 3rd it slips right out at 8k revs like im reving it in neutral, the clutch feels barely engaged. All the gears above 3rd start to slip after 10k RPM (It redlines at 13) I get a lot of noise but not a lot of going faster and it feels like im slightly pulling the clutch in.

Also when I change into gear it kinda of waves into the next gear. It's hard to explain in words but after i release the clutch the gear change is instant theres half a second where it still revs in 1 gear then kinda slides into the next gear up. (If that makes any sense)

Anyone know what the cause of this could be?

Cheers, Brayden

Brian d marge
26th July 2012, 16:27
Hey guys.

I recently purchased an RG150 however the clutch is slipping like a biatch. Gear 1 is fine. Gear 2 slips majorly after 8k revs, it climbs the revs but the speed barely climbs. In 3rd it slips right out at 8k revs like im reving it in neutral, the clutch feels barely engaged. All the gears above 3rd start to slip after 10k RPM (It redlines at 13) I get a lot of noise but not a lot of going faster and it feels like im slightly pulling the clutch in.

Also when I change into gear it kinda of waves into the next gear. It's hard to explain in words but after i release the clutch the gear change is instant theres half a second where it still revs in 1 gear then kinda slides into the next gear up. (If that makes any sense)

Anyone know what the cause of this could be?

Cheers, Brayden

First check the basics, cable ok , adjustment . Then Have a look at the clutch itself , ridges on the basket tangs , plates worn , buckled, springs correct length?

Just take it step by step and look for the simple things first

Stephen

Haggis2
26th July 2012, 17:11
Keep it in 1st :lol:

Brayden
27th July 2012, 15:16
First check the basics, cable ok , adjustment . Then Have a look at the clutch itself , ridges on the basket tangs , plates worn , buckled, springs correct length?

Just take it step by step and look for the simple things first

Stephen

Cheers for the reply mate I'm just about to change the oil transmission / clutch or whatever you want to call it. I brought Spectro SX Clutch Saver 10 w 30 is this the right stuff? Just checking before I pour it all in lol. Cheers

Asher
27th July 2012, 21:53
Make sure you have some slack in the clutch cable.

Brayden
27th July 2012, 22:48
Yer adjusted it today clutch cable didnt have much.. thinking this might have been the cause of it. Changed the oil anyway fairings going back on tomorrow then will see how it goes!

Brian d marge
27th July 2012, 23:29
Cheers for the reply mate I'm just about to change the oil transmission / clutch or whatever you want to call it. I brought Spectro SX Clutch Saver 10 w 30 is this the right stuff? Just checking before I pour it all in lol. Cheers

that will be fine , I use atf in me race bike and that lasts 2 races , or more ,,so you will be fine ( as long as it doesnt have any friction modifiers it all good )

Stephen

Brayden
2nd August 2012, 16:49
It was the clutch cable it was well fucked.. Rides absolutely sweet now and mother of god it goes fast! Such a light bike too loads of fun

avgas
2nd August 2012, 20:31
It was the clutch cable it was well fucked.. Rides absolutely sweet now and mother of god it goes fast! Such a light bike too loads of fun
Yeah keep an eye on that. My cables used to last about 10,000 km and then pull the knob off the end. But easy enough to ride without a clutch..........if you get stuck somewhere just chop the gears (blip the throttle if you remember though).

gammaguy
2nd August 2012, 22:59

which of course is why they are a legend down under.

Only NZ and Thailand got many of them,arent we lucky.

nikko
3rd August 2012, 04:33
which of course is why they are a legend down under.

Only NZ and Thailand got many of them,arent we lucky.

wrone argentina people are lucky too :D

Brayden
4th August 2012, 16:15
Just took it for a spirited ride through the twisties for the first time, holy shit those things are light and they can seriously move after 10 , 000 RPM! Jesus was having a blast! I don't think the VT250 Spada will quite be the same after riding this!

Only gripe is the terrible speedo which is out by about 20-30 kph, anyone know how to fix these?

neil_cb125t
6th August 2012, 18:45
diff g box oils can effect the clutch too, trya different g box oil.... but the bottom line will be new plates one day

SMOKEU
10th August 2012, 20:36
The clutch used to slip quite badly on my TS185 when I used 10W40 oil in the gearbox, so I changed to 20W50 and it's fine now. Oil viscosity can make a big difference.

oyster
2nd September 2012, 09:30
hi. I work on these all the time for the thriving RG150 race community in the south. Pretty well all of them have 2mm thick spcers under the springs. A badly slipping clutch can go straight to be perfect with this simple mod. You barely feel the diffrence at the lever as well, so not too hard on anything. We use Castrol VMX oil as well. Easy to get (Repco/Supercheap) Gear probs are usually stuffed selector forks. yes, it has to come to bits to have that fixed. Caused by rough traetment sometime in it's life.

Brayden
3rd September 2012, 15:52
Hey mate managed to fix the clutch all it needed was a new cable and now runs sweet! Only downside is that I thought id try push some max speed out of it on the weekend and kablooey went the motor! Think it may be time for me to start delving into mechanics

Asher
3rd September 2012, 17:18
Welcome to the wonderful world of 2 strokes.