PDA

View Full Version : heated grips

Keystone19
4th August 2005, 09:51
My hands have been finding it a bit chilly these last couple of mornings and I was wondering about getting some heated grips. I'm a bit of a nana in the cold and find that using the clutch and brake a little awkward when I can't feel my fingers. :whistle:

Are heated hand grips any good and how difficult are they to fit and remove? I am planning a bike upgrade sometime in the next year and wondered if I could transfer them to a new bike or would I be better to wait and just get them when I get the new bike.

Odin
4th August 2005, 10:01
One thing that might stop you tranferring heated grips to an new (presumably bigger) bike could be the diameter on the handlebars.

vifferman
4th August 2005, 10:09
Are heated hand grips any good and how difficult are they to fit and remove? I am planning a bike upgrade sometime in the next year and wondered if I could transfer them to a new bike or would I be better to wait and just get them when I get the new bike.
Yes. They are any good.
How difficult fitting and removing (or fittal and removal) is/are depends on what type you fit, what the wiring loom on your bike is like, how proficient the person doing it is, and what phase the moon and planets are in at the time of the alleged heatedgriptomy.
It will be getting warmer sooooon, so if you can hold off and fit them to you new bike, it would save the risk of them getting damaged and/or impact on your wallet/purse.

But it's easy for me to say all this, as I have heated grips already, and didn't need to fit them.

You could just buy a Beemer or summat with them already fitted...?

Joni
4th August 2005, 10:17
Yup... I got me some of them :yes: Bless Jrandom wherever he is.... :whistle:

If memory serves me, he had them installed at Mount Eden Motorcycles... they work a charm, altho I have been called "soft" because of them :ride:

vifferman
4th August 2005, 10:24
I have been called "soft" because of them :ride:
That's a euphemism for "lucky; very,very lucky".

Oakie
4th August 2005, 11:33
In the meantime, try some old fasioned 'ladies' silk gloves worn inside your gloves. That does the job apparently although I can't confirm it as I couldn't get some silk gloves big enough to fit my man-hands. You'll be right though. You can probably pick 'em up for around $5 or $10 from those shops that sell old bits and pieces. Cheaper than heated grips and only takes about 6 seconds to install (although you do have to install them at least once a day during winter).

Beemer
4th August 2005, 11:38
Heated grips are wonderful, you won't want to live without them once you have them! The Beemer has them, the Goose doesn't, and once I decide what I'm doing with the handlebars, it will have them too.

I had them fitted to a Honda XRB200 that I travelled around the South Island on and they were great. Depends on what sort you have, but usually they require some form of glueing I think, so I'd wait until I had the new bike as I doubt you'd transfer them easily.

In the meantime, try some thermal gloves (thin, polyprop ones) under your gloves - they make a huge difference.

Devil
4th August 2005, 11:56
Remember theres a couple of types of heating methods. You can have the fixed ones, that inside the handlebars, OR theres wrap-around ones you can get, its like a heated sleeeve that velcro's around the handgrip so you can just pull them off and unplug them when its summer again. Whatever happens, wiring needs to done.

Lou Girardin
4th August 2005, 12:35
Oxford do two types; the wrap around type @ $101.00 inc and complete replacement grips @ $105.00 inc. Wiring is quite simple, all instructions included. We've sold a lot of these at AMPS and people seem very pleased with them.
Baehr do heated gloves which are the ultimate handwarmers.Waterproof Goretex liners etc.
$399.00 inc. or $569.00 with an adjustable rheostat.

Groins_NZ
4th August 2005, 13:20
There's a few options available, each having there pro's and con's. For ease of installation and transfer to another bike I'd say the Oxford wrap-around heated grips would be a good option. Haven't used them myself though and they do add approximately another 5ml to the handlebar circumference.

There was a KiwiRider article on them a couple of months back and I remember the product evaluation wasn't too bad. Atleast I can't remember anything bad that was said about them. The best feature is that you can remove them from the handlebars in seconds (or a bad thing, as anyone could do this).

http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm
"Oxford Hot Hands"

vifferman
4th August 2005, 13:32
I've no idea what kind mine are, but they're the ones that come with grips and an adjustable heat controller (Daytona??).
When I first got the bike I found them a bit fat, but I got used to that rather quickly, and the first time I turned them on, it made me smile (no easy feat, I can tell you!) They heat up in less than a minute, and once the heat gets through my (thin) gloves, I turn them down to "LO" or off, as they stay warm for ages. One slight disadvantage of this last characteristic is that in summer the grips heat up in the sun, and take quite a while to cool down. Meanwhile, I'm repeatedly checking I haven't inadvertantly switched the controller to on (done that a couple of times).:weird:

Eurygnomes
4th August 2005, 13:35
Baehr do heated gloves which are the ultimate handwarmers.Waterproof Goretex liners etc.

:drool: :envy:

I want these suckers! Like Keystone19, I'm having a real hard time keeping my hands warm. So far, I've tried two different pairs of leather gloves (one with kevlar, one without), one of which had thinsulate (which didn't!), and polypropylene gloves underneath that. Yesterday I picked up some silk gloves from a tramping shop, and then rode home - only about a 4k trip home, but my fingertips were already icing up again. :(

I'm gonna look seriously at these heated gloves when in Europe, it's very very disarming riding along with no sensation in your hands - my gear changes suffer! :( I wonder if they do heated boots too...

Keystone19
4th August 2005, 13:59
[QUOTE=Groins_NZ]they do add approximately another 5ml to the handlebar circumference.

Hmm, the circumference thing could be interesting. My hands are not the largest in the world (although size is not indicative of function :devil2: ).

I currently use polypropelene liners under my gloves, but like you Eurygnomes, my fingers are still numb within a pretty short space of time.

Anyone with smaller hands had any problems getting used to the grip size?

Devil
4th August 2005, 14:10
Hmm, the circumference thing could be interesting. My hands are not the largest in the world (although size is not indicative of function :devil2: ).

I currently use polypropelene liners under my gloves, but like you Eurygnomes, my fingers are still numb within a pretty short space of time.

Women and their dodgy circulation problems!
I've got a pair of winter gloves you can try. They kinda thick...so you cant feel anything...and you need a bit of strength to bend the fingers but they work! :D

Beemer
4th August 2005, 14:11
[QUOTE=Groins_NZ]they do add approximately another 5ml to the handlebar circumference.

I've got fairly small hands and I didn't have any problem - in fact I found it more comfortable with the slightly fatter bars.

As for heated boots - yes, and suits! We met up with a foreign biker in the South Island a few years ago and his suit, boots and gloves were all heated - luxury!

BM-GS
4th August 2005, 14:19
Heated grips are about the best thing you can do to a (working) bike to make it user-friendly.

I've fitted the Oxford ones to a few bikes and they're pretty good, though not adjustable - except by turning them of when your hands get too hot and on again when they start to cool off.

It's best to take the time to wire them to a switched 12V cable, not direct to the battery, cos then you don't flatten the battery when you forget to turn them off by accident - don't ask me how I know, but this is a big problem on any big, high-compression, engine with fuel injection. I used the front parking light on one bike, which seemed happy enough.

Top tips:

1. Use WD40 or simlilar to get the old grip off easily (spray under the grip using the red straw) and, after thoroughly cleaning off all the cack under the grip and throttle tube, use contact cement to put the new grip on. This will help the grip slide onto the throttle tube and then stop it rotating around it; meaning when you go to open it up in a panic overtake, you actually open the throttle, not just twist the heated grip bit.

2. Make sure that the heated grip doesn't foul on either end of the throttle assembly and lead to sticky-throttle syndrome - the opposite of the problem above, but likely to lead to the same painful end... A Stanley knife is useful here, and the heating elements are (in my experience) far enough from the ends of the grip to allow some trimming. If you see metal, STOP CUTTING!

Keystone19
4th August 2005, 14:25
Women and their dodgy circulation problems!
I've got a pair of winter gloves you can try. They kinda thick...so you cant feel anything...and you need a bit of strength to bend the fingers but they work! :D

Thanks Devil!

Will catch up with you tonight.

(For some reason I read circumcision when I first read your post. Hmm, wondered about that for a moment...)

Lou Girardin
4th August 2005, 15:01
:drool: :envy:

I want these suckers! Like Keystone19, I'm having a real hard time keeping my hands warm. So far, I've tried two different pairs of leather gloves (one with kevlar, one without), one of which had thinsulate (which didn't!), and polypropylene gloves underneath that. Yesterday I picked up some silk gloves from a tramping shop, and then rode home - only about a 4k trip home, but my fingertips were already icing up again. :(

I'm gonna look seriously at these heated gloves when in Europe, it's very very disarming riding along with no sensation in your hands - my gear changes suffer! :( I wonder if they do heated boots too...

Well come on up to AMPS little girl ( in my best sleazy voice) and you can slip your hands into these.
They're all soft and warm and lurvely.

vifferman
4th August 2005, 15:03
Well come on up to AMPS little girl ( in my best sleazy voice) and you can slip your hands into these.
It was very quiet there at lunchtime - were you guys all out the back practicing sleaziness? :whistle:

thehollowmen
4th August 2005, 15:20
Got mine put on professionally, but that took about an hour so it mustn't be too hard. Some bikes have factory plugs for heated grips, mine included.

Love them to bits, although I wish it wasn't just an Off / Start / On thing, because I find the "on" lasts about 20 minutes before it cools down.

Eurygnomes
4th August 2005, 15:21
They're all soft and warm and lurvely.

Ha ha ha...ride up to AKL I DON'T think. At least - not without heated grips. Oooh...what a conundrum! :)

I'll wait till I get to EU - not sure how the $$'s will last so not purchasing $500 worth of equipment I"m afraid (from you or anyone, it's nothing personal dahlink). Besides which, by all NZ accounts, it's colder there than here! I'll just use numb hands as an excuse to stay in bed longer in the am...

mikey
4th August 2005, 15:35
My hands have been finding it a bit chilly these last couple of mornings and I was wondering about getting some heated grips. I'm a bit of a nana in the cold and find that using the clutch and brake a little awkward when I can't feel my fingers. :whistle:

try wearing gloves. i used to get wicked cold hands until i tried some. an if your hands ever get cold with gloves on take gloves off an toughen the hands up again then gloves feel warm again.

sweet?

F5 Dave
4th August 2005, 17:07
One thing that might stop you tranferring heated grips to an new (presumably bigger) bike could be the diameter on the handlebars.

Well um, maybe if you bought a Harley, but aside from comedy bikes everything has std bar size.

I bought some Hot Grips, which is a US brand. They seem to be better than other types I've tried. Do lok at your gloves. Another option is some MX handguards. They look silly, but just the caper for winter & stop the windchill/rain.

Lou Girardin
4th August 2005, 17:26
It was very quiet there at lunchtime - were you guys all out the back practicing sleaziness? :whistle:
I didn't know you were in, you should have asked someone to get me out of sleaze practice.
Did you see the Sprint?

Lou Girardin
4th August 2005, 17:28
I should have asked first, what sort of gloves do you use?

JohnBoy
4th August 2005, 19:48
when i brought my Gixer i was lucky enough to inherit some from the previous owner. they are ok, i personally would have not spent money on them but they are nice on a colder day.
the only gripe is that my hands are too big for the grips and they tend to dig into the palms of my hands, not too cool on longer rides. might be an idea to check different types out to suit.

Zed
4th August 2005, 20:24
In the meantime, try some thermal gloves (thin, polyprop ones) under your gloves - they make a huge difference.Hey Jill, I've never ridden with heated grips but it sounds like the users on this site are sold!

I have 2 pairs of gloves I wear regularly during winter, my thinner summer ones most of the time except on cold mornings when I change gloves to my thicker lined winter ones. I havn't suffered from frozen fingers for a long while!

Now I'll say it - you're a wuss!! :clap:

pritch
4th August 2005, 20:56
Got mine put on professionally,

I'm getting mine fitted when the bike goes in for a service next week.
Hopefully everything will be working well for my trip south the following week.

An early start from Christchurch on a frosty morning so as to make it to the return ferry about lunchish doesn't bear thinking about...
Must find my handwarmer too, so I can put it in the chest pocket if necessary.

XP@
4th August 2005, 21:42
They are worth it on any bike, I used to think them a bit soft... but my beemer had them on when i bought it. Now try getting me to turn them off!

BTW If you are reasonable good with bike electrics you can make your own for about $10!

geoffm
4th August 2005, 21:45
The Beemer came with them as standard. I'm sold - wouldn't have a bike without them in winter.
Geoff

Keystone19
4th August 2005, 22:40

Thanks Zed, I bow to your superior size and (as a result) heat creating capabilities. Yes, I am a wuss, and proud of it! :motu:

LB
5th August 2005, 02:28
I've had several sorts.

Daytona Hotgrips - replacement rubber grip. Two heats, no problems.

Another brand I forget - an element thingy goes inside the bars - you retain the orginal grips. Not as warm as the Daytonas.

Several of my BMW's had BMW grips fitted at the factory. Two heats, wonderful.

Both my Ducs have the wiring for the Oxford wrap-around heaters. Yes, they do make the grips a bit fatter and it takes about 20kms to get used to it. I only have them on the bike when I want to use them. Only one heat, and so you have to keep on turning them on and off or else you'll burn your hands (long story, and it was many moons ago, but I speak from experience, and it definitely wasn't a good one...hard to ride a bike with blisters the size of a 20c piece on the palm of your right hand!)

I had bark busters on my last Beemer - looked a bit stupid, but definitely warmer, as they keep the direct windblast off your hands.

I'm happy with my Oxford heated grips, but I do have to say IMHO the BMW ones are the pick of the bunch.

Hailwood
9th August 2005, 14:09
:Punk: Just had some Daytona heated grips fitted at TSS today (great job guys) and took the long way home to see how well they work. Having ridden with a polyprop inner and winter gloves for most of the time, it is great to just wear a normal pair of leather bike gloves with the heated grips....damn they are great. :yes: .hands nice and warm :love: . The grip diameter is no more than the standard one was.

I reckon that heated grips are one of the best things you could add to a bike. :Punk:

vifferman
9th August 2005, 14:13
I didn't know you were in, you should have asked someone to get me out of sleaze practice.
Did you see the Sprint?
Aye.
Gave it a good ogling, wandered around, looked at some gear (jackets and like that), wandered around some more, looked at a few bikes, wandered around some more, gave the Sprint another looking over, wandered out, went for a ride along the waterfront.

TonyB
9th August 2005, 14:21
:Punk: Just had some Daytona heated grips fitted at TSS today (great job guys) and took the long way home to see how well they work. Having ridden with a polyprop inner and winter gloves for most of the time, it is great to just wear a normal pair of leather bike gloves with the heated grips....damn they are great. :yes: .hands nice and warm :love: . The grip diameter is no more than the standard one was.

I reckon that heated grips are one of the best things you could add to a bike. :Punk:
I second that. I had a set on my VFR for coping with riding the 20k to work on -6°C frosty mornings. Liked them so much I got them thrown in when I bought the FZR. I wouldn't have a road bike without them.

vifferman
9th August 2005, 14:22
Hey Jill, I've never ridden with heated grips but it sounds like the users on this site are sold!
Well, I am. For sure. At all at all. Begorrah.

I have 2 pairs of gloves I wear regularly during winter, my thinner summer ones most of the time except on cold mornings when I change gloves to my thicker lined winter ones. I havn't suffered from frozen fingers for a long while!
I hate thick glubs. I too have several pairs of glubs (umm.... thinking... thinking... five (5!! and that's after giving one pair away!!) pairs), but wear only my thin summer ones (one of the three pairs) and the horrible horrible Orina ones if it rains. If I have to (we hatesss them we doesss, nasssty little Urinassss...)
So (cue Rossi voice) ha-yem virreee virree ap-pee to be-yah haffink-ah tha warrrm feeng-ahs. [/spaghetti] AND to not be wearing thick glubses.
The backs of them do get a little cold, but not too bad, as the backs of my glubs are padded a bit.
However (BUT!!) I intend to buy some NICE winter/waterproof gloves, having tried on some that were warmer and drier, but which had thinnish plams (that's like palms, only more differenter).

Whatever. Us wusses can put up with your insults, while enjoying that smug inner glow that comes from having deliciously warm hands. :yes:

Ixion
9th August 2005, 14:33
The Whale has heated grips as standard, but they do not work. I must find out why, more ruddy electricals. I am getting heartily sick of rewiring.I had to but a new battery in the multimeter I have used it so much. :mad:

I have only summer gloveses and winter gloveses , which are thick and warm. But this year has been so warm I have not had to wear the winter ones. I bought them in readiness for winter , but have not needed them. Still, there is plenty of time, it will no doubt get MUCH colder as spring comes on.

skelstar
9th August 2005, 14:55
:Punk: Just had some Daytona heated grips fitted at TSS today (great job guys)
Ah hah! I am having hot-grips fitted by TSS today as well. Im looking forward to a really cold morning to test them out. No more running into my work with my bike left running so I can warm my digits to operating temperature on a heater!:)

pritch
9th August 2005, 15:52
[QUOTE=BM-GS]
It's best to take the time to wire them to a switched 12V cable, not direct to the battery, cos then you don't flatten the battery when you forget to turn them off by accident

Thanks for that. I have a set being fitted while the bike is in for a service today. Wired through the ignition switch if all goes to plan. I didn't trust my self to remember to switch the grips off invariably, without fail, ever.

froggyfrenchman
9th August 2005, 16:37
they are worth their weight in gold and very easy to hook up, normally 2 wires, a power and an earth. swapping should only be an issue if bike upgrede is between country of manufacture. Most jap bikes have 7/8" handle bar tubu, wether theyre bars or clip ons. good luck and warm hands

Podo
24th July 2006, 17:45
Oxford do two types; the wrap around type @ $101.00 inc and complete replacement grips @ $105.00 inc. Wiring is quite simple, all instructions included. We've sold a lot of these at AMPS and people seem very pleased with them.

Hi Lou, what is AMPS current $ for Oxford grips, and are they in stock, my local dealer is quoting $199.95 and I can import cheaper than that but dont want the hassle. Thanks Tony Doms.

kensuem
24th July 2006, 21:39
bought and fitted oxford grips 4 weeks ago.Cost me $119,took 2 hours to fit,worth every cent,warm hands at last.[plus they can control the weather,we havnt had a bad frost since I fitted them !]

jellywrestler
24th July 2006, 22:34
you may want to think about a heated jacket. these keep your torso warm and prevent teh blood supply being limited to your hands and feet which is the cause of the cold feeling. bonuses are using it on any bike, you'll need to fit a plug and you don't have to bulk up on clothes either