PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop the sprocket bolt coming loose?

SMOKEU
3rd August 2012, 16:46
I was wondering what the noise was when the bike is on the paddock stand and I move the back wheel, so I took the fairing and sprocket cover off only to find that the front sprocket bolt was loose! What do I do to prevent it from happening again?

mossy1200
3rd August 2012, 17:00
Normally they have a washer that you bend a side up to lock the nut.

Spuds1234
3rd August 2012, 17:10
Failing a locking tab, the strongest thread lock you can buy would probably work.

Mom
3rd August 2012, 18:02
It needs a lock washer!

SMOKEU
3rd August 2012, 18:04
It has an allen key bolt with a washer type thing in it that I have to remove before I can access the sprocket bolt.

Drew
3rd August 2012, 18:06
It has an allen key bolt with a washer type thing in it that I have to remove before I can access the sprocket bolt.

It will not stay tight, no matter what you do. Hense the allen bolt washer thingy which stops it being able to come off.

Subike
3rd August 2012, 18:09
No room for a lock washer?

In for a different approach?
Drill a 1/8th hole across two faces of the nut.
Thread a short length of nylon fishing gut through the holes,
Thread the nut onto the shaft.
When the gut comes in contact with the thread of the bolt it will crush abd cut.
effectively becoming a nyloc nut.
But the most effective way is the lock tab washer.

If that does not work, look at drilling the shaft as well, and drilling all faces of the nut , then using a locking wire...........failsafe

Drew
3rd August 2012, 18:14
Lets start at the beginning. What sort of bike is it?

Most of the time, the nut is not meant to tighten on the sprocket, because it cannot stay done up. But if you tell us what to google search, I'll make sure i'm not giving totally shit advice.

Subike
3rd August 2012, 18:18
Lets start at the beginning. What sort of bike is it?

Most of the time, the nut is not meant to tighten on the sprocket, because it cannot stay done up. But if you tell us what to google search, I'll make sure i'm not giving totally shit advice.

Hear what you are saying drew, and dwelling on it, I think you are right. the nut is there just to stop it coming off, not to hold it tight.
Must be too many years riding a shafting and not worrying about sprockets

SMOKEU
3rd August 2012, 18:54
lets start at the beginning. What sort of bike is it?

Most of the time, the nut is not meant to tighten on the sprocket, because it cannot stay done up. But if you tell us what to google search, i'll make sure i'm not giving totally shit advice.

1998 GSXR600. I'll post pics of the front sprocket assembly tomorrow when the light is better.

Drew
3rd August 2012, 19:04
1998 GSXR600. I'll post pics of the front sprocket assembly tomorrow when the light is better.Googled it, don't worry about the pictures.

The nut goes on as far as it can, then the funky looking washer thing which I'll bet sits over the spline teeth too, and the cap screw holding that in. If assembled correctly it is impossible for the big nut to come undone.

The noise you heard is the play between the sprocket and shaft, it needs to be there or shit would snap instead of giving a little.

FJRider
3rd August 2012, 19:06
1998 GSXR600. I'll post pics of the front sprocket assembly tomorrow when the light is better.

Either the flat washer with the locking tab, or the castellated nut with a hole through the shaft and split pin to lock it.

Drew
3rd August 2012, 19:10
Normally they have a washer that you bend a side up to lock the nut.Fail

Failing a locking tab, the strongest thread lock you can buy would probably work.Fail

It needs a lock washer!Fail

No room for a lock washer?

In for a different approach?
Drill a 1/8th hole across two faces of the nut.
Thread a short length of nylon fishing gut through the holes,
Thread the nut onto the shaft.
When the gut comes in contact with the thread of the bolt it will crush abd cut.
effectively becoming a nyloc nut.
But the most effective way is the lock tab washer.

If that does not work, look at drilling the shaft as well, and drilling all faces of the nut , then using a locking wire...........failsafeFail

Hear what you are saying drew, and dwelling on it, I think you are right. the nut is there just to stop it coming off, not to hold it tight.
Must be too many years riding a shafting and not worrying about sprocketsUnfailed.

Either the flat washer with the locking tab, or the castellated nut with a hole through the shaft and split pin to lock it.Fail

I never win at these things!

I'd like to thank God, and my family for their support.

Madness
3rd August 2012, 19:15
Fail

Fail

Fail

Fail

Unfailed.

Fail

Still not smoking then?

98tls
3rd August 2012, 19:22
Googled it, don't worry about the pictures.

The nut goes on as far as it can, then the funky looking washer thing which I'll bet sits over the spline teeth too, and the cap screw holding that in. If assembled correctly it is impossible for the big nut to come undone.

The noise you heard is the play between the sprocket and shaft, it needs to be there or shit would snap instead of giving a little.

:lol::lol:Farkin hell,cant believe it took so long.

Drew
3rd August 2012, 19:29
Still not smoking then?Nope. Getting easier though, sat around a half dozen smokers at the pub last night, gave in and had a drag. I fuckin near CHUNDERED.

:lol::lol:Farkin hell,cant believe it took so long.Gimme some credit, I didn't know what the bike was.

SMOKEU
5th August 2012, 16:26
Here are some pics of the front sprocket assembly:

Katman
5th August 2012, 16:36
the nut is there just to stop it coming off, not to hold it tight.

The nut most certainly does tighten up against the sprocket.

(Well, against the washer that's against the sprocket).

bogan
5th August 2012, 16:38
So they use a nut that is supposed to be left loose? Suzukis eh!

Katman
5th August 2012, 17:08
Once the sprocket is in place the splined washer fits onto the output shaft and leaves a couple of millimeters of splined shaft protruding past the washer.

On the reverse side of the sprocket nut is a recessed portion which the protruding splines fit into.

The nut is supposed to hold the sprocket tightly in place. (I'll check the torque specs tomorrow).

While the cap bolt and speed sensor rotor that screws into the output shaft prevents the nut coming off the shaft it's purpose is not to prevent the nut from loosening.

The tightening of the nut is what prevents the nut from loosening.

mossy1200
5th August 2012, 20:01
Fail

Fail

Fail

Fail

Unfailed.

Fail

Thought I was doing well seeing as he was riding your mom

Drew
6th August 2012, 06:42
Thought I was doing well seeing as he was riding your mom

I failed too. So I have to print a retraction of my acceptance speech it seems.

BoristheBiter
6th August 2012, 07:48
You tighten the engine nut to 115N.m, it is loctited in. then
you tighten the speed sensor rotor bolt to 25N.m

There is no mention of any gap.

failing that download the manual.

http://rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=Suzuki+gsxr+600

SMOKEU
6th August 2012, 09:54
I'll buy some Loctite just to be on the safe side and apply that to the big sprocket nut.

ducatilover
6th August 2012, 12:15
Once the sprocket is in place the splined washer fits onto the output shaft and leaves a couple of millimeters of splined shaft protruding past the washer.

On the reverse side of the sprocket nut is a recessed portion which the protruding splines fit into.

The nut is supposed to hold the sprocket tightly in place. (I'll check the torque specs tomorrow).

While the cap bolt and speed sensor rotor that screws into the output shaft prevents the nut coming off the shaft it's purpose is not to prevent the nut from loosening.

Seems legit.
According to the parts fiche it should have a washer on the outer side of the sprocket

HenryDorsetCase
6th August 2012, 12:54

One of those things is imaginary, and one you wish was imaginary

HenryDorsetCase
6th August 2012, 12:56

surely not......

Drew
6th August 2012, 14:35
One of those things is imaginary, and one you wish was imaginaryThere's a leading bloody statement for ya!

macka77
24th October 2012, 09:36
loctite is correct. that 6mm cap screw has locktite from new, clean the thread and reaply super nut lock, or take it out otherwise it can come loose again. the large nut for the sprocket should be a lock nut similar to a nylock but uses a metal strip instead of nylon, but if you can wind the nut on the thread without it gripping the shaft thread the nut needs replacing , rear axle nuts are the same not many sports bikes use castle nuts anymore simply beause lock nuts are faster and better

JimO
24th October 2012, 11:02
do a skid......

SMOKEU
24th October 2012, 20:14
do a skid......

I did a mean one in my undies.

doc
24th October 2012, 20:19
Faaark check ya nuts quick.