PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious squeaking

chris0912
4th August 2012, 12:57
Lately the bike has started squeaking when I ride it, like the sound that riding with a buckled wheel makes. Like a rhythmic sound, so it speeds up if I do, and slows down if I do. I can't hear it a high speed because of the engine noise, but its really loud at slow speed. Any ideas?
Sounds like it could be coming from the chain, but have just had it serviced and there were no issues.
Also it doesn't do it allthe time, most of it though.

Cheers!

Subike
4th August 2012, 13:11
Have you been able to isolate the region its coming from?
Front wheel, rear wheel, swing arm, engine, triple clamp?
Just servced you say.
chain too tight, not lubed properly, fairing or guard not put on right, rear wheel alignment out,
Brakes? a stone in a caliper, warped disc, front or rear guard touching Tyre.
Swing arm , shocks, bushing, faring....
Need more input.............

FJRider
4th August 2012, 13:22
Lately the bike has started squeaking when I ride it, like the sound that riding with a buckled wheel makes. Like a rhythmic sound, so it speeds up if I do, and slows down if I do. I can't hear it a high speed because of the engine noise, but its really loud at slow speed. Any ideas?
Sounds like it could be coming from the chain, but have just had it serviced and there were no issues.
Also it doesn't do it allthe time, most of it though.

Cheers!

As strange as this may sound ... go for a ride in a strong breeze. Downwind ... wind noise disappears and "sounds" can be heard that just aren't normally heard ....

The sound you hear may be tyre noise on the road surface.

chris0912
4th August 2012, 22:58
Have you been able to isolate the region its coming from?
Front wheel, rear wheel, swing arm, engine, triple clamp?
Just servced you say.
chain too tight, not lubed properly, fairing or guard not put on right, rear wheel alignment out,
Brakes? a stone in a caliper, warped disc, front or rear guard touching Tyre.
Swing arm , shocks, bushing, faring....
Need more input.............

Chain fine - lubed properly and correct tension. Fairings, guards all on right. Presuming wheel alignment ok, was part of the service. It was making the noise before service, and still doing it after, if a little worse even. Don't have paddock stand unfortunately so can't try align it myself.
Brakes are fine, checked for stones, discs look good. Although it did occur to me that there may be a minor warping in either front or rear discs, and as they warm up a bit with riding the warp exaggerates, sound plausible? Because it doesn't make the noise from cold, only once I've been riding for 5-10mins. So I'm thinking it's from something changing shape.
Hard to tell where it's coming from as can only hear it when I'm riding, and hard to pick where it's originating. Also as mentioned above don't have a stand so can't just lift the wheel up and put it in gear and try and get a better idea of where it's coming from.

FJRider
4th August 2012, 23:34
Hard to tell where it's coming from as can only hear it when I'm riding, and hard to pick where it's originating.

You won't hear where it's coming from if either of the disc's are warped. You'll feel it on either the foot pedal (rear disc) or the front lever. (front disc)

The lever/pedal will judder ... severity depending on the amount of warp. The fact that you dont mention that ... leads me to believe it's not that.

sinfull
5th August 2012, 08:25
Because it doesn't make the noise from cold, only once I've been riding for 5-10mins. Brake pads, take em out and give em a quick sand and while ya at it, check no retainer clip is positioned incorrectly, sinted pads can squeak ! You say it only does this after 5 or so min ? Could it be after you have applied the brakes ?
I got told by someone invariably wiser than I, to apply a little vaso to the back of the pads where piston meets steel side of pad, to stop the squeak my back brake makes when applied ! Aint tried it yet as i am invariably lazy ! And no i have no idea how this would work and wasn't going to go into a debate with him about how this could stop a squeak, just passin it on !