PDA

View Full Version : Who has riding superstitions & habits?

Twosixty
4th August 2012, 19:35
I was watching Closer to the Edge again this weekend and was reminded how many riders and racers have particular habits or superstitions when it comes to riding.

Got me thinking about what I always seem to do pre ride. If the kids are around I make sure I tell them I love them, I always clean my helmet and I never ever wash my number plate.

Anyone else have any riding habits or superstitions?

tigertim20
4th August 2012, 19:51
I always tell the wife I love her, or text her if shes at work and tell her. just in case that statistic is me this time.

oh, and I always, ALWAYS have fun!:headbang:

Dave-
4th August 2012, 19:57
glove on left hand first then right hand, hop on the bike from the left hand side (even though my bike doesnt have a side stand).

quick tug on the helmet latch/D shakle when the "check helmet" sign is displayed.

I don't know what happens if I muck up any of the above, but I don't want to find out.

crystalball
4th August 2012, 20:09
I allways put my right boot on first and right glove on first. Got the number 13 tattooed on my neck for M and luck (hopefully not bad luck) Lol things we do. :crazy:

ducatilover
4th August 2012, 20:11
No silly heebie-jeebie habits for me, I just make sure my bikes are safe to ride and then go ride.
No time for nancy superstitious rubbish

I always make sure I'm facing the correct way though

caspernz
4th August 2012, 20:12
I only wear crotchless panties during the summer months :wacko:

ellipsis
4th August 2012, 20:20
...i always put my socks on before I put my boots on, no particular preference if it's my left foot or my right foot first...I am very particular about this...shit, this stuff keeps you alive,man...

SMOKEU
4th August 2012, 20:43
I always make sure my radar detector is working before setting off, for safety. Safety of my driver license, that is.

98tls
4th August 2012, 20:53
Last thing before setting off is "Sam fucckkkk off:mad:".This prick grabs a mouthful of muffler every fucking time:brick:Might look innocent enough but annoying when hes hanging off your exhaust system.

Berries
4th August 2012, 21:23
I always put my helmet on with the hole facing forwards so that I can see where I am going. Not killed myself yet so thoroughly recommended.

98tls
4th August 2012, 21:25
I always put my helmet on with the hole facing forwards so that I can see where I am going. Not killed myself yet so thoroughly recommended.

Seems a bit fussy to me.

Ender EnZed
4th August 2012, 21:30
A quick wank before leaving the house never goes amiss.

ducatilover
4th August 2012, 21:30
Helmets are for army boys.

FJRider
4th August 2012, 21:32
I always make a point of thinking ... of coming home alive.

Some rides take longer to achieve this than others ... but I've succeeded ... so far. ;)

98tls
4th August 2012, 21:43

Fuck that,empty sacks and tight leathers.

98tls
4th August 2012, 21:44
I always make a point of thinking ... of coming home alive.

Some rides take longer to achieve this than others ... but I've succeeded ... so far. ;)

Which considering the feet issue you deal with is totally understandable.

FJRider
4th August 2012, 22:09
Which considering the feet issue you deal with is totally understandable.

You mention that a bit ... do you have a foot fetish ... ??? :whistle:

Oakie
5th August 2012, 00:10
do you have a foot fetish ... ??? :whistle:

Is that a 'feetish'?

FJRider
5th August 2012, 00:24
Is that a 'feetish'?

He's from Oamaru ... who would know ... ??? :wacko:

Berries
5th August 2012, 00:33
Me too, but that has got fuck all to do with motorbikes.

slofox
5th August 2012, 08:49
I make sure I pass every car I see ahead of me. Dunno why. It's worked so far. :crazy:

Road kill
5th August 2012, 10:11
Green bikes are bad luck.
A small bell under the steering head makes gremlins fall off.
Jap bikes are the work of the devil.
Jesus would of rode a Triumph twin had he been lucky enough to be born at the right time.
The south will rise again.
Good gun control is the ability to consistantly hit your target.
Black is the only true colour to paint a motorcycle,,,unless it's japanese,in which case a flame job looks good until the heat dies down an you all have to go back inside to stay warm.
The TT100 is still the best motorcycle tyre ever made.
Why do pom's drink warm beer ?,,,because Lucas also made fridges.
Why do you not hear any South African jokes,,,because they were all used up in Hamilton last night:clap:

Usarka
5th August 2012, 10:28
glove on left hand first then right hand, hop on the bike from the left hand side (even though my bike doesnt have a side stand).

Similar, except mine is right glove, left glove, helmet, FUCK SHIT FUCK, right glove off, FUCK still can't do up helmet with one hand, left glove off, helmet on, left glove on, right glove on, now i'm pissed off where's the throttle.

ducatilover
5th August 2012, 13:07
Jesus would of rode a Triumph twin had he been lucky enough to be born at the right time.

He had a Honda Accord, Moses had a Triumph. :2thumbsup

Oakie
5th August 2012, 13:08
He's from Oamaru ... who would know ... ??? :wacko:

Well I grew up there too.

FJRider
5th August 2012, 13:17

Do you have a foot fetish ... ??? :lol:

ducatilover
5th August 2012, 13:18
Well I grew up there too. My sympathies mate.

G4L4XY
5th August 2012, 14:08
Make sure you leave with a means of paying for some gas at some stage :)

Tried always putting left glove on first but i've fucked that up at some stage, same bit the boots, have managed to put the socks on first though woohoo

Daffyd
5th August 2012, 14:15

You mean you grew older there?

Road kill
5th August 2012, 16:36
Make sure you leave with a means of paying for some gas at some stage :)

Tried always putting left glove on first but i've fucked that up at some stage, same bit the boots, have managed to put the socks on first though woohoo

Paying for gas ?,,,how about always carrying a new set of points and enough tools to readjust and tighten everything that's going to come loose.
Oh yeah,,that's me:facepalm:,,,sorry.

jellywrestler
5th August 2012, 17:02
Moses Triumphed in the Desert I beleive

ducatilover
5th August 2012, 17:11
Moses Triumphed in the Desert I beleive

Moses came down the mountain in his Triumph.

Moses being slightly cool probably drove a TR4a, or Dolly Sprint.

Juzz976
5th August 2012, 17:27
I have a calender which marks when I get demerits back, I check it before I leave so I know how I'm allowed to ride so my bike arrives home safely.

Pants, boots, jacket, helmet then gloves. Try not to cause excessive wear on front tire by letting it touch road.

hasn't always worked for me though but still alive :banana:

Scream
5th August 2012, 17:31
I have some habits which I won't mention, they're not too uhh, positive.

One major thing I always find myself doing is feeling around with my foot to make sure my side stand is up, even half way through a journey for some reason.

ducatilover
5th August 2012, 18:21
I have some habits which I won't mention, they're not too uhh, positive.

One major thing I always find myself doing is feeling around with my foot to make sure my side stand is up, even half way through a journey for some reason.

Even though your bike has a switch on the sidestand so it cuts out if it's in gear, clutch out? ;)

I had to test if my throttle still worked today. And make sure the clutch wasn't slipping at 15,000rpm.
One habit I have is, I ride on the road most of the time. Fancy that

schrodingers cat
5th August 2012, 19:08
Even though your bike has a switch on the sidestand so it cuts out if it's in gear, clutch out?

First thing I took off my jigger and threw in the corner

matdaymon
7th August 2012, 18:00
When going past a double biker memorial on SH25 between hikuai and opotere I ask the guys to keep an eye out for me. Always do it, dunno why, I'm not a spiritual person or anything but it can't hurt to have some guys on the other side watching over you I guess.