PDA

View Full Version : Off road going on road

WRT
4th August 2005, 14:50
I have an off road bike that I would like to be able to ride on the road. I know in most cases you need to have lights, indicators, mirrors, etc, but I own a CR250R - which has none of the above.

I know - I can hear the groans already - wishfull thinking and all that. However, the place I want to ride it is Great Barrier Island, I grew up over there and every summer I head over there to stay with my Mum (she lives over there), and while over there it would be nice to take the bike and ride around on it.

Thing is - while I was growing up over there, I remember there used to be a "limited use" sort of registration available for rural areas. You could get registration for your vehicle, with loose requirements for things like lights and mirrors, based on the premise that the vehicle was for use within a limited radius from your home. Basically, it was aimed at farmers that needed to be able to travel down/across roads to access parts of their farm on bikes or tractors, or any other vehicle that is difficult to even get to a testing station, let alone get through a warrant check.

Is this sort of thing still available, and how on earth do you go about applying for one? Has anyone come across this, or any other way I might be able to use my bike over there?

Thanks guys!

sAsLEX
4th August 2005, 16:02
how many cops are on great barrier? are you likely to get ticketed?? I thought thats were all the cars in auckland that cant get warrents are sold.

Motu
4th August 2005, 16:30
Used to be called the daylight WoF,like you say,for tractors and other vehicles that only see limited road use,tranfer to work sites etc.So you could strip your dirt bike down to no lights and get a daytime WoF.Trouble is of course the system was abused by guys getting MX bikes and blasting around all over the place indiscretly....so it was pulled.Once again the actions of a few spoil it for everyone else.

WRT
4th August 2005, 17:03
Motu - Do you know if they have replaced it with anything similar? What do the farmers do?

sAsLEX - There are two cops over there now I think, altho might be back down to one - the population is back below the 600 mark now. You do need a warrant (a "barrier" warrant - not valid anywhere else . . . its very lax on things like rust, but does still require lights, horn, etc) to drive over there. You didnt need to, but some dude got pinged for dangerous loading or something when he was driving the wife and kids down the road without helmets on his farm trike with canvas showing thru the tread. He complained to Wellington re: not needing warrants so how can he get ticketed, and voila! - warrants for all.

See Motu's post re: actions of a few . . . *mutter* *mutter*

Still, really want to take the bike over there, the roads are now mostly tarseal, so wont be blasting it on them - not on knobblies! Just want to be able to get to the dirt tracks I know of, plus the odd run down to the beach or shops . . . too much to ask?

Motu
4th August 2005, 17:32
Exemtions from a WoF are specific now....very specific....no mention of motorcycles,lights,or daytime.....someone cooked our goose.

WRT
5th August 2005, 08:04
Gutted! Ah well, thanks for your help Motu . . . knew I should have bought an XR ;)

froggyfrenchman
9th August 2005, 17:03
cant be too hard to knock on a few lights, are you goin 2 b over there long enough to make it viable? the other thing to consider is a ticket for no wof is only $200. worth a gamble?

merv
9th August 2005, 18:52
Check out this page at Land Transport NZ http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/27.html

There are still exempt classes A and B associated with farm use. Can you call your bike a farm vehicle just going to and from a part of a farm?

Way back when I was young all the farmers seemed to have E class A rego stickers on their bikes and it looks like something similar still applies.

WRT
10th August 2005, 11:13
Thanks heaps for that guys, especially Merv. Have emailed Land Transport so will post up what the respond with, just in case anyone else is interested too.

Cheers!