PDA

View Full Version : Holiday traffic

SpankMe
1st January 2004, 11:55
The traffic around Auckland the last few days has been dead quiet. It's even pleasant to just cruise around Auckland streets for a ride. And with the warm weather :sweatdrop , even more pleasant in jeans a t-shirt (Kiwi Biker shirt of cause :niceone: ).

Coldkiwi
1st January 2004, 13:21
heck, even where the traffic does make itself known, it doesn't really matter. I quite enjoy tearing past cars on short straights (thames-coromandel coast road on tuesday for instance) where no one else can overtake.

warms my heart to outpace the lemmings in cages. :bigthumb:

Antallica
1st January 2004, 13:21
Damn you all!, I'm cooped up inside with a bloody cold & splitting headaches.

:angry2:

curious george
1st January 2004, 14:13
Damn you all!, I'm cooped up inside with a bloody cold & splitting headaches.

:angry2:

You too? Merry bloody New Year! Achoo! *sniffle*
I must have been bad last year.

Yamahamaman
1st January 2004, 14:24
You too? Merry bloody New Year! Achoo! *sniffle*
I must have been bad last year.

Must be a Northland thing. :eek:

What?
2nd January 2004, 07:42
The traffic around Auckland the last few days has been dead quiet.I think they are all in Tauranga atm.

Andrew
2nd January 2004, 08:35
I think they are all in Tauranga atm.

Yeah and bursting the seems over to Whangamata!!

Lou Girardin
3rd January 2004, 16:00
Yesterday, all the traffic was stationary northbound at Silverdale or doing 60km/h behind campers on SH 16. Except for bikes, that is. Don't ya just love it?
Lou

MikeL
3rd January 2004, 17:27
Just got back from a ride to Port Albert via Kaukapakapa. Traffic fairly light most of the way. Wellsford was pretty busy, though, and I expect late afternoon the road through to Orewa would have been heavy. Will be worse tomorrow.
Lots of bikes on the road - every 2nd one seemed to be a Harley. A few riders in singlet and shorts. Tsk, tsk. Must go and have a shower now - dripping with sweat.

LB
4th January 2004, 05:56
We've just got back after 2500kms since Christmas Day (yeah yeah, we were really slack.....!) round the central NI. Most of the time it was fine traffic-wise.

Worst traffic we encountered was in Taupo on New Year's Day. Heading from south to north, basically between the 50km signs it was gridlocked, right along the lakefront and through town. I've never seen it like that before (mind you, I've never been there on NYD before either, and won't ever again if I can help it!). Traffic couldn't get out from the SH5 turnoff, it was absolute chaos. And the couple of petrol stations we passed were just full full full of cars. It was fairly hot also - my oil temperature got to 112.

Waioeka Gorge (Opotiki-Gisborne way) on Friday was just magic. It's a lovely piece of road.

Yesterday (Sat) in the Wairarapa was stinking hot, Masterton was 34 degrees according to the weather map last night - I believe it!

Called in for a coffee and cake with 130wide - good to catch up again mate!

Jackrat
4th January 2004, 11:28
Hey I found ya' traffic,It all came to Waiuku over the last three or four days,Hell I even spoted Motu down the beach with all the other Jaffas,At lest the ones that weren't driving round on MY roads making em' Crowded that is. :crazy:
So Iv'e stayed off the bike for a few days,The loopies will be gone soon :2thumbsup

georgedubyabush
4th January 2004, 14:02
Just came home from Russell. Drifted along past a que of about a hundred cars, straight on to small space on the back of the ferry an instant before the ramp came up. Bliss.

Coldkiwi
4th January 2004, 14:34
good work george!! make the lemmings pay!! :niceone:

Its funny how all the traffic seems to move away from the usual business zones magnetise towards certain spots like maraetai etc. Went thru there on new years day and I've never seen so many people there. I think the whole of south Auckland decided to shift to Duders beach and maraetai for the day and then spread along the road when they ran out of room. Thank goodness I practice my dodgy lane splitting most days or I'd still be stuck out there!

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 02:33
The traffic around Auckland the last few days has been dead quiet. It's even pleasant to just cruise around Auckland streets for a ride. And with the warm weather :sweatdrop , even more pleasant in jeans a t-shirt (Kiwi Biker shirt of cause :niceone: ).

I've lost enough skin to never ride without my Spyke gear...