PDA

View Full Version : Decent engineers in Auckland? For airhead exhaust thread repair

Dodo
11th August 2012, 16:23
Hi all,
has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonably priced machining shop in the Auckland region?
I have an R80/7 airhead with a stripped thread on one of the exhaust ports (52mm), my guess is that it will require the thread ground off, building up the with TIG and then a new thread machined in. Has anyone had this done and know what a reasonable price is?
I am aware that you can get those clamp repair kits but would rather avoid that route if possible.
Cheers,
Joseph

Kickaha
11th August 2012, 17:46
PM Max Headroom or Voltaire they'll be able to tell you who can do it

bsasuper
11th August 2012, 17:50
All I can say is a repair like that will be very expensive, as for a cheap machine shop doing a quality repair, you only get what you pay for.It would be far cheaper to get another head.

Dodo
11th August 2012, 23:01
Cheers for the suggestion Kickaha, have PMd Voltaire and Max Headroom. Voltaire has suggested Kane at R Twin Works might be able to do it (from memory he is in Palmy). I realize it inst a cheap job, I am just hoping for a decent job at a reasonable price (i.e. fair for standard of workmanship).
If anyone has any recommendations of places to take things for machine work in the Auckland area that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joseph

DEATH_INC.
12th August 2012, 15:14
You could try Machine part welding in penrose. Not sure if they'd do it, but they do most things engineering.

Dodo
16th August 2012, 20:45
Thanks for the feedback guys.
When i get round to taking it off I think I will be sending it to Kane Veltman (www.rtwinworks.co.nz), he said the last one of these he did was around the $250 mark.
Cheers,
Joseph

Motu
16th August 2012, 21:36
I 2nd Machine Part Welding - they repair so much stuff on a daily basis that they will have a plan for it.