PDA

View Full Version : One for Motu

tri boy
12th August 2012, 18:11
:sunny:http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-502804559.htm
Swing that dodgy hip young fulla.

Edbear
12th August 2012, 18:25
Nice find!

Motu
12th August 2012, 19:18
That's the real deal alright, totally unmolested...I'd sell all my kids for that. I'd love to have a look inside the engine, the Yanks could get some serious hp out of those engines. Dunno about the period tyres - how long since they made an MT53....30 years? I've still got a virgin MT53, but don't have a bike with a 19in rim to put it on. There was a Trackmaster Triumph racing at Rosebank in the early '80's, but it wasn't pretty.

Ron Peck has a thread on ADV on an XS650 build,this is one of his Triumphs.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776398

tri boy
12th August 2012, 19:29
Paul, I notice they have Wiseco stickers on the side covers, but list a Morgo 750 kit.
Whats a Morgo kit, (stroke kit, Rods???)

Kickaha
12th August 2012, 19:37
Paul, I notice they have Wiseco stickers on the side covers, but list a Morgo 750 kit.
Whats a Morgo kit, (stroke kit, Rods???)

Morgo did big bore kits to take your 650 out to 750
http://www.morgo.co.uk/bigbore.html#750_kit

tri boy
12th August 2012, 19:44
Cheers for the info kick:yes:
I had a quick perv at R Pecks thread. Feck he does nice work:drool:

merv
12th August 2012, 19:51
Motu are you getting any interest and bids for the kids on Trade Me yet?

Nice looking bike for sure.

Motu
12th August 2012, 20:31
They don't like the idea of working in a Chinese cigarette factory, but I'm hoping they'll come around to give their father his dream bike.

Morgo was a bit of a generic name for a 750 kit, and I can't imagine a Morgo being used in the US....but maybe it was a superior product at the time....

Paul in NZ
13th August 2012, 08:01
They don't like the idea of working in a Chinese cigarette factory, but I'm hoping they'll come around to give their father his dream bike.

Morgo was a bit of a generic name for a 750 kit, and I can't imagine a Morgo being used in the US....but maybe it was a superior product at the time....

Yeah I didn't think it would have a crappy old MORGO 750 kit on it either... The MORGO kit fins followed the delta head fin shape (well the later ones anyway) and those look to taper and follow the factory shape. MORGO kits do have the name cast into them though so it could be. What would be super cool is a Sonny Routt 750 kit. He was getting over 100bhp out of Triumph dragster engines.... Briefly.... And he built the T120RT for Triumph which pioneered the factory T140's (he converted 200 homologation bikes for ama racing)

When I visited Big D cycles all those years back they were still building up these bikes both for street use and classic flat track racing - just beautiful....

pete376403
13th August 2012, 19:21
The ad has been editied to say it IS a Routt kit, not a Morgo. So there goes your last objection to buying it.

Motu
13th August 2012, 19:45
I don't have an objection to buying it, it's just the projection holding me back. Anyway, it'd be wasted on me - I'd start the engine :shit: chuck some non functioning lights on it and hoon around our local roads...which is obviously the totally wrong thing to do with such a beautiful motorcycle.

Paul in NZ
14th August 2012, 08:33
I don't have an objection to buying it, it's just the projection holding me back. Anyway, it'd be wasted on me - I'd start the engine :shit: chuck some non functioning lights on it and hoon around our local roads...which is obviously the totally wrong thing to do with such a beautiful motorcycle.

Totally the right thing to do - you may want to think about a front brake as well though.....

Voltaire
14th August 2012, 11:05
Are there issues with a Morgo kit....I bought one for my pre unit project a few years back...yet to be built?:facepalm:
Compared to the late 60's Bonnie head I have for it the Morgo has lots more finning than the stock one.

Motu
14th August 2012, 18:08
Totally the right thing to do - you may want to think about a front brake as well though.....

I've still got a steel shoe - I'll just have to take the block anticlockwise....or is that counterclockwize riding an American bike?...?

Paul in NZ
16th August 2012, 08:11
Shit - this is nice....

http://www.bikeexif.com/vintage-dirt-bike