PDA

View Full Version : Charging a battery

SMOKEU
17th August 2012, 14:19
Is it necessary to disconnect the battery from the bike when I connect a battery charger to it? The bike doesn't want to start if I leave it for more than about 5 days without starting it so I need to charge the battery up for about an hour. It's a 2.5A charger.

Winston001
17th August 2012, 14:24
I don't think so but don't leave the key in the ignition in case it has a chip and gets fried. Actually, I'd disconnect the positive lead just to be sure.

The other thing to think about is the fluid in batteries settles which can cause problems. Its worth taking the battery out and shaking it. I've seen an old battery spring into life when that is done.

SMOKEU
17th August 2012, 14:30
It's an old bike (1998 SRAD) so no electronic key.

caseye
17th August 2012, 14:37
Nevertheless Winston1 is right, first do disconnect the positive side of the battery from the bike before charging.
Also his thoughts on taking out the battery and giving it a shake up will have some positive benefits if it's that way inclined.
Check out how old the battery is, sounds like it's past it's use by date,a new one is in order.
or if it's OK check the electrics for faults as your battery should happily sit for weeks if not months and still start your bike.

Edbear
17th August 2012, 14:43
If there is no draw with the key off, a good lead acid should last a few weeks at least, but they do self-discharge over time, usually about three months is the longest they will last.

If there is a draw, say an alarm or onboard computer managing a clock or something you will need a tender on it. Five days is not a good sign, though.

Paul in NZ
17th August 2012, 14:45
Up to you.... But.... If it was me and the battery was going flat in 5 days I'd be investigating why. Its either poked or you have a load with the key off... If its poked then you are risking the rect/reg and alternator.

Also depends on the charger / battery. A slow charger is OK if the battery isnt gassing up too much and the gas is dangerous and corrosive so again, if I was doing all the time I'd go hmmmmmm

caseye
17th August 2012, 14:46
An hey! when you do need that new battery, call ED!

SMOKEU
17th August 2012, 14:49
The bike has minimal electrics compared to a modern bike (it's carburetted) so it's a bit of a worry. It still cranks quite well after a week, but not quite enough to start it. The fact that the headlights are hard wired on when the key is switched on is also part of the problem. Usually it's fine after a week if I disconnect the headlight plugs. I might cut the headlight wires and put in a switch so I don't have to disconnect the plugs every time.

Edbear
17th August 2012, 14:51
Up to you.... But.... If it was me and the battery was going flat in 5 days I'd be investigating why. Its either poked or you have a load with the key off... If its poked then you are risking the rect/reg and alternator.

Also depends on the charger / battery. A slow charger is OK if the battery isnt gassing up too much and the gas is dangerous and corrosive so again, if I was doing all the time I'd go hmmmmmm

Yeah, at 2.5A it's not a quick charge and more for overnight charging, too. It could be that you are short-charging it and the running is not long enough to give it full charge. It is a problem with town running that the batteries can run down over a few days due to not being fully charged each run.

Edbear
17th August 2012, 14:52
The bike has minimal electrics compared to a modern bike (it's carburetted) so it's a bit of a worry. It still cranks quite well after a week, but not quite enough to start it. The fact that the headlights are hard wired on when the key is switched on is also part of the problem. Usually it's fine after a week if I disconnect the headlight plugs. I might cut the headlight wires and put in a switch so I don't have to disconnect the plugs every time.

Sounds like you may have an electrical leak somewhere.

SMOKEU
17th August 2012, 14:57
Yeah, at 2.5A it's not a quick charge and more for overnight charging, too. It could be that you are short-charging it and the running is not long enough to give it full charge. It is a problem with town running that the batteries can run down over a few days due to not being fully charged each run.

I rarely ride the bike around town. Most of my rides are on the open road for at least 70km. The battery says that "quick charge" is 1 hour @ 4A. I don't want to over charge the battery so I usually leave it to charge for around 1.5 hours. Even an hour charge is enough to have it cranking over really fast with no problems starting it.

I think it could also be a fuel issue as it tends to sound like it's running on 3 cylinders when it hasn't been started for a few days for the first 15 - 20 seconds or so.

Edbear
17th August 2012, 15:07
I rarely ride the bike around town. Most of my rides are on the open road for at least 70km. The battery says that "quick charge" is 1 hour @ 4A. I don't want to over charge the battery so I usually leave it to charge for around 1.5 hours. Even an hour charge is enough to have it cranking over really fast with no problems starting it.

I think it could also be a fuel issue as it tends to sound like it's running on 3 cylinders when it hasn't been started for a few days for the first 15 - 20 seconds or so.

Could be, looks like a general check-up is required.

gammaguy
17th August 2012, 15:19
Is it necessary to disconnect the battery from the bike when I connect a battery charger to it? The bike doesn't want to start if I leave it for more than about 5 days without starting it so I need to charge the battery up for about an hour. It's a 2.5A charger.

leave the battery connected then you can charge the bike at the same time:cool:

Akzle
17th August 2012, 15:27
still haven't got that POS italian sorted eh.

Fast Eddie
17th August 2012, 15:54

just my 2 cents of randomness..

the blades battery started going flat on me after a week or two, had no idea why but when i rode it everyday it seemed fine and would happily crank away and run.

anyway, turns out reg/rec was faulty

eventually it caught fire

so yea, investigate why battery is discharging - check charging system and replace battery (they do need to be replaced eh, they don't last forever!)

Fast Eddie
17th August 2012, 15:55

this could also be electrical? not enough batt power to produce a proper spark *especially after cranking the motor from cold, until the alternator takes up the load or something...

im just babbling

SMOKEU
17th August 2012, 16:42
I just removed the battery from the charger after a 1.5 hour charge, and I tested the voltage with a multimeter and it read 13.73V. I then connected the battery back up to the bike and tested the battery immediately without turning the ignition on and the voltage read 13.55V. I don't have any aftermarket goodies connected to the battery. Is it normal for the voltage to drop like that on a carbied bike?

It is a cheap Chinese multimeter off Dealextreme, but it hasn't given me any reason yet not to trust it.

neels
17th August 2012, 17:48
Yeah, at 2.5A it's not a quick charge and more for overnight charging, too.
Given that most bike batteries are around 8-12Ah, 2.5A is not a slow charge either. Normal slow charging rate is 1/10 of capacity, overnight at 2.5A into a 12Ah battery is boiling the crap out of it, unless it is a smart charger.

I just removed the battery from the charger after a 1.5 hour charge, and I tested the voltage with a multimeter and it read 13.73V. I then connected the battery back up to the bike and tested the battery immediately without turning the ignition on and the voltage read 13.55V. I don't have any aftermarket goodies connected to the battery. Is it normal for the voltage to drop like that on a carbied bike?.Volts don't just run away by themselves, even if it's only 0.2V the battery shouldn't drop that much in no time. You need to put a current meter in series with one of the battery leads and see if there is anything being drawn with the key off.

If you need a hand give me a shout, I'm semi qualified to bugger about with things like this.

Akzle
17th August 2012, 18:14
Volts don't just run away by themselves, even if it's only 0.2V the battery shouldn't drop that much in no time. You need to put a current meter in series with one of the battery leads and see if there is anything being drawn with the key off.

If you need a hand give me a shout, I'm semi qualified to bugger about with things like this.

go and do it. he's been told at least once before.

CookMySock
18th August 2012, 21:23
If the battery is really old it is possible it will have a really high internal impedance. If this is the case, the charger may push the terminal voltage outside of the safe range for electronics on the vehicle. If the battery will turn the engine over whatsoever, it is very likely this is NOT the case, and the charger maybe be connected without disconnecting the battery. However, if the battery is utterly dead stone flat (tests less than 9 volts on meter), or it is very old or has been lying around for months and months, I would definitely suggest you disconnected it from the vehicle before connecting any type of charger.

tigertim20
18th August 2012, 22:37

cant be bothered reading the whole thread . ..
get a battery tender, they arent very expensive. I also saw the other day, a solar powered battery tender, so even if you store the bike in a shed that doesnt have power, or even under a cover, its easy as pie to set up for trickle charging when not being ridden.

if it dies after 5 days enough to not start the bike, Id get it tested. most battery places will do a test for you on the spot free of charge and they can tell you if its at the end of its life

caseye
24th August 2012, 15:16
Then go and buy one of Ed's beauty little batteries.
Something wrong if any battery won't crank a bike after a few days.
Coal Burners been dormant for the last three months, starts and runs easy every 4 - 5 weeks.
Musta put her back together proper then I reckon.