PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Cal Rayborn

merv
1st January 2004, 18:29
Just spotted this story - yeah takes me back - remembering Cal Rayborn - 30 years since his death at Pukekohe. .... and remembering Geoff Perry too who died more than 30 years ago. I used to watch Geoff race on the streets of NZ in awe at Napier, Gracefield and other places and he was so far ahead of the competition at the time. As for Cal anyone that could keep winning on a Harley like he did was just magic.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2003-Dec/031229b.htm

merv
1st January 2004, 18:37
... and a further update on Silver Bullet http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/news.php3?id=2632

SPman
1st January 2004, 20:10
Was there when it happened. The only racer I've seen killed on the track and it had to be Cal. - a potential future World Champ ( I firmly believe he had that ability) , the first of the American invasion, tragically killed at a minor race meet! - christ, was it 30 yrs ago!

What?
2nd January 2004, 07:46
The only racer I've seen killed on the track
May it stay that way.

Motu
5th January 2004, 09:41
He not only did road racing,did the LSR as well - and like all of those of the ''American Invasion''...he rode flattrack as well,that's where I fist saw him - in Bob Greene's Motorcycle Quarterlies.

Used to see Geof Perry mainly at speedway (and wandering around the workshop in the garage my brother worked in) he was also a future speedway star.

WilDun
11th February 2005, 15:17
Was there when it happened. The only racer I've seen killed on the track and it had to be Cal.

I was there too, - the most trajic thing I have ever seen, - the bike seized nearly in front of us, and then it was all over for Cal.

Unfortunately I was desperately trying to get my wife interested in bikes at the time ( at least a little bit) and took her to the one and only bike race she ever attended.
A very unfortunate day.

merv
31st December 2007, 16:26
Just remembering this is now 34 years ago. Such a shame for the US to lose what was their best road racer at that time.

Mr Merde
31st December 2007, 17:12
At the time he was also the world motorcycle speed record holder.

It was the last time I ever went to Pukekohe.

Innocent (haha) 17 year old.

ElCoyote
31st December 2007, 19:42
I was there too, - the most trajic thing I have ever seen, - the bike seized nearly in front of us, and then it was all over for Cal.

Unfortunately I was desperately trying to get my wife interested in bikes at the time ( at least a little bit) and took her to the one and only bike race she ever attended.
A very unfortunate day.
I was there that day and with two others vaulted the fence from the main stand because Cal's body was lying paralell to the track and therefore out of sight of the flag marshals. We spoke to him as it took some time before the race was stopped but in fairness to all concerned Cal was unsighted by the flaggies and a future world champion was denied his day in the sun. I was holding his head when he died and to this day I wonder if it would be a Rossi > Raybon championship.

merv
31st December 2007, 20:10
So cruel that the bike seized - 2 strokes huh :doh:

codgyoleracer
31st December 2007, 20:39
Have read about Cal, He was faaaast.
Glen

merv
31st December 2007, 21:00
Have read about Cal, He was faaaast.
Glen

Yep, even on an iron barrelled Harley FFS.

thebaron
19th March 2008, 12:59
Hi there SPman, WilDun, ElCoyote: I am keen to talk to anyone who was at Pukekohe on December 29, 1973. The late Ron Grant (you blokes remember him?) told me Cal had switched the T500 (not Geoff Perry's old bike either) from petrol to methanol and they were trying to get the jetting sorted. Ron told me they asked him to help but when he saw what was going on, he did not want to have anything to do with it. Earlier, Ron had walked the track with Cal and pointed out the corner where Dunedin's Neville Landrebe had been killed in 1970. Landrebe (as well as with Ginger Molloy), had raced in the AMA 250 class against Kel Carruthers and Rayborn on TZ250s so Cal knew Landrebe. The odd thing is, Cal was here to race a Lola T190 Formula 5000 car that was several years out of date and would have been a prick to drive, based on the fact it was replaced by the T192 that was 8-inches longer in the wheelbase. Even an experienced driver in that car would have been smoked by the likes of Graham McRae in his own car and Max Stewart in the latest works Lola. Then he was talked into racing a bike at Pukekohe...

SPman
19th March 2008, 16:40
I was talking about this last year with a guy in the office, I worked with ( unfortunately he died a month or so ago, so I can't ask him about it again). He raced a TR500 in the early 70's, running on methanol. He was from Christchurch, but, he did venture to the N.I occasionally.
From memory,he said that Cal leaned the carbs off, like he would his Harley, instead of enrichening them. A force of habit, thing. I forget the details (bugger), but, essentially, it was set up way too lean, which caused it to seize.
I'd also heard (from others),that the bike was a bit of a pig, regardless.

Apparently the 500's on methanol were very touchy in the jetting department. Barry said he had a few thrills in the trial and error method of getting it right, himself.
I think the only reason he did race that bike was because he was joining the Suzuki works team and decided it would be good to get in some practice on 2 strokes, in the off season, between the Formula A races.

You're right, he would have had his hands full with the T190 - not one of Lolas better efforts!