PDA

View Full Version : MV Agusta F3 (that'll be a 675cc)

MD
18th August 2012, 19:43
The other 'MV will be a 600' thread is outdated so I thought I would give the real deal a thread all of its' own.

I've just got home from a long day riding, cracked a bottle of vino so by 200 words this should be messy. I'm really in the mood to..umm, unwind. Chill and so on.

The following opinion is written by an absolute fan of Triumph and the Daytona 675. Any inference that the D675 is inadequate is not true or intended. However, last week as I saw the F3 unveiled, with no intention of buying one...I did. This also happened in 2007 when someone else was test riding a D675 and let me have a spin..I bought one. Pattern forming I know. In fact owning the D675 for 3 years was a record for me and reflects what an awesome machine it is. 67,000km of smiling. Thank you.

Typical bloody Wellington it rained from the day I took the F3 home this week- until today!!! Completed 90% of the run in today, so after hundreds of kms pooting about below 6,000 revs, then 9000 revs (as per manuelle) I finally got to taste the poweband.

I'm getting ahead of myself. I'd say all of my 38 bike purchases have been spur of the moment, unexpected, and always from the heart. Is there a better way? Its never let me down

I have never owned Italian and it's nice to tick off another bucket list item. True to form the demo bike had a failed tail light and on the way home tonight my buddy pulls up beside me "your tail lights gone out" it's Italian I replied" And it made me smile. That's what warranties are for.

It's impossible to not compare it to the D675 and from my seat of the pants the motor has more go. Certainly as a package the F3 is faster. The F3 is weaker and at times feels fuel starved sometimes at low revs but generally it all works as expected. Mid range is pleasant on the F3 but a tad behind the D675. Upper mid range and the F3 equals the D675. Absolutely no question above 10,000 revs the F3 ROCKS and with a 15k redline it's no contest. That's a good broad powerband range to play in. Lets repeat that. A five thousand range of hang on tight I am going to shorten the horizon for you!
I've got a mag test where two riders did roll on tests of the D675 vs F3. Very controlled tests through gears 2 to 6 and riders swapped bikes to be sure. The MV won every one and in 6th went mental. The F3 cornering is better by quite a margin but then I've not owned many bikes with quality suspenders so I expected that. But I didn't expect how much fun it was going to be - cornering is just nirvana on two wheels. It just scares me wondering where is this bike limit?

Comfort. Well hey I traded a Tiger 1050 and I doubt there are many more comfortable bikes than that. But back to back with a D675 the F3 is oh so slightly more comfy.

Then there is the 'reason' I fell in love. This bike is beautiful beyond any I have seen. A faulty tail light just doesn't register on my radar.

Next we add in eight levels of traction control, power maps and a cool quick shifter.

Regrets? None (life's too short to drink the house wine). Am I happy. Totally. That's what bikes are for.

I would like to marry this bike but that would be a misrepresentation of the institution of marriage.

Sorry no pics of mine because we can't find the camera to pc cable? Google is your friend.

hayd3n
18th August 2012, 20:06
awesome and drop dead sexy!!

Akzle
18th August 2012, 20:22
well written.
beautiful bike.
you have too much money.

MD
18th August 2012, 20:41
well written.
beautiful bike.
you have too much money.

Thank you but oh how I wish your last line was true. I believe the technical term is I have a debt. I roll in debt. I ooze debt. I attract debt and I probably smell of debt and it will be my legacy.

Better to live happy and leave debt for someone else to worry about than die with cash in the bank

onearmedbandit
18th August 2012, 20:56
Nice write up, cheers for sharing.

ducatilover
18th August 2012, 23:18
Awesome write up, thanks. You're a lucky fellow owning an F3!

I would like to marry this bike but that would be a misrepresentation of the institution of marriage.

Give the bike a penis and pretend to be gay, it'll be legal soon enough

SPman
19th August 2012, 02:56
Lovely looking bikes.

MCN comparo test with a 675R reckoned the R was suspended better...but otherwise.......MV for the track, Triumph for the road.....power delivery much as you've found it.

I prefer the looks of the MV - just!

merv
19th August 2012, 09:14
Haha Mark you finally found the next bike worth buying. Hope it was just as the rego was due on the Tiger.

Quite right you don't want to be the richest man in the cemetery either so agree entirely spend your money now.

Enjoy :wings:

Crasherfromwayback
19th August 2012, 10:07
Better to live happy and leave debt for someone else to worry about than die with cash in the bank

Exactly how I feel!

Love yer work, and yer new bike! Nice write up Mark, and congrtats!

slowpoke
19th August 2012, 15:50
Thank you but oh how I wish your last line was true. I believe the technical term is I have a debt. I roll in debt. I ooze debt. I attract debt and I probably smell of debt and it will be my legacy.

Exactly!! Debt is your friend. If you die in old age with money in the bank you screwed up big time.

Hitcher
19th August 2012, 16:15
Was that you I followed up the Rimutakas yesterday morning? Flame had one of these with dealer plates down at Lake Ferry the previous week. These things are everywhere!

tigertim20
19th August 2012, 16:41
nice write up, they are a great looking bike. Ive not had the pleasure of seeing one in person yet.

get some pics and a sound clip up!!!

MD
19th August 2012, 20:39
Was that you I followed up the Rimutakas yesterday morning? Flame had one of these with dealer plates down at Lake Ferry the previous week. These things are everywhere!

Twas me Hitcher doing the running in thingy. Yep there is a demo bike available, mine and one Oro (limited edition gold version) on show at the Museum Hotel. No prizes for guessing who bought that one.

Was that you coming home early morning from your usual short 8 hour ride before lunch?

I did a run to Feathesr this morning but not early enough to beat the rain.

manxkiwi
23rd August 2012, 11:55
Do you know if the Oros' gold bits are magnesium like the original F4 Serie Oro 750? No one seems to mention anything in the write ups I've read.

Just heard that a freind of mine who had one on order, has dropped the order and got an S1000RR instead, bummer! (at least with regard to the MV).

F5 Dave
24th August 2012, 11:31
. . .life's too short to drink the house wine). . .

I quite like the wine at my house:confused:

although there is a bottle of Corbans pushed to the back that someone left here at some misc time. Perhaps I should leave it out for the local kids, I mean Garbage men.

MD
24th August 2012, 19:57
I quite like the wine at my house:confused:

although there is a bottle of Corbans pushed to the back that someone left here at some misc time. Perhaps I should leave it out for the local kids, I mean Garbage men.

Home wine is a better vintage to house wine.

Sorry Dave I have to sign-out of the Tiger forum. Although I popped in to pick the MV up from it's 1st service yesterday and sadly said goodbye to my Tiger looking pristine and oh so nice. Sat on it and didn't want to get off. If I had the mollah I'd keep it for touring. Great machine.

Hitcher
24th August 2012, 21:30
If I had the mollah I'd keep it for touring.

How many km has it done?

Did you replace the rear suspension?

What do Motomart want for it?

MD
24th August 2012, 22:43
How many km has it done?

Did you replace the rear suspension?

What do Motomart want for it?

36,000km with Dukie rear shock bracket that repositions the shock - believe me it makes a big difference. Still has original OEM shock so probably wouldn't hurt to improve on that. Other than that it is mint.
ABS model with Arrow exhaust and Godiva screen. I think Motorad are asking $15k (Motomart aren't the MV agent)
The ABS model is $23k new I believe.

F5 Dave
24th August 2012, 23:09
hey man you have to take the mojo where the moment rides. . .:shutup:nah that's gotta be the crapest metaphor - & its not even a metaphor.

buy what makes you happy. . .but have you considered a Trials bike as well? What about a 2 stroke classic for those 'other' days?

See,- your sickness has a ways to progress.

MD
26th August 2012, 17:28
buy what makes you happy. . .but have you considered a Trials bike as well? What about a 2 stroke classic for those 'other' days?

See,- your sickness has a ways to progress.

I wish. A bike for each mood. Track, road/touring, commute, dirt. Yes, in the perfect world I would have all of these in my garage.

Week 2 personal assessment.
The run in last weekend was done in Normal mode. I thought that was good until today I gave it full berries in Sport mode..all day. Flicking from N to S and the exhaust note changes like Jekyl to Hyde. Makes ya go all giggly inside just listening to the angry tone versus calm tone.
So Sport is definitely a step up to more power and it come on quicker. flat out between curves with crests and it will lift the front wheel when you probably don't really want it too, but it's all fun.

If there is one disappointment it would be discovering that despite all this power it doesn't like to wheelie! The Daytona and my 636 before that never needed any clutch (2nd gear) but even trying to clutch it up and the F3 refuses tp play silly buggers. Tried some 1st gear but far too hard to control with fly-by-wire throttles. Really, the forever reliable cable is so simple and works well why fix what's not broken.

Lets park this matter as a work in progress.

Despite the power not coming on in a wheelie good way it still comes on stronger than the Daytona's and overtaking in top is just as much fun as it was on the Daytona. Thing with the F3 is though, it's power keeps building harder by 8000revs than the D675, and beyond 10,000 it's just bloody mental.

Getting 17km/l with rapid enough but lets call it gentle riding and 14 km/l total thrash mode tripping the rev warning light.

driftn
26th August 2012, 17:46
:shit: I was just going to ask how does it wheelie?. There must be a way mate, is there some trickery in the computer saying "no, this is not a good idea"?.

MD
26th August 2012, 20:37
:shit: I was just going to ask how does it wheelie?. There must be a way mate, is there some trickery in the computer saying "no, this is not a good idea"?.

That has me wondering. Some mag testers stated that it did have anti-wheelie control but there's no mention in the manual or the dash selections. I turned off the traction control and had another go but it made little difference. Might be too soon to try as the motor is feeling much better now with 1000km under it's belt and may loosen up more. Not having a steering damper also made the landings tricky when it does lift on a crest. A full on wheelie may be shit a brick scary.

At least stoppies are on the menu.

What it does do incredibly well is go round corners better than anything I've owned before.

driftn
27th August 2012, 07:14
Probably a good thing it doesn't like em to be fair, Wheelie's are neither big nor clever remember <_<.
They have ohlins from factory? The best money I have ever spent on any bike I've owned was the suspenders.
The next bike I have it will also be the first thing I put money into.

F5 Dave
27th August 2012, 09:49
Exactly my thoughts when I bought my Tiger, buy the upgrades at the start of your tenure rather than near the end.

MD
30th September 2012, 17:27
Despite the best efforts of our crap weather I have managed to get 4,000km on the F3 675 and one great trip Welly to Hammy and back via the Para Paras (Wanganui-Taumaranui for those unaware of a biking God amongst twisty roads). Also detoured along the Lost Highway, which seemed more of a goat track really, but fun.

Totally stoked with the bike now. Almost time to ditch the rear Rossos which isn't inspiring me with confidence. I' haven't cornered as hard or with as much lean as I used to on my Daytona because I'm just not sure how the Rossos will behave.

The engine is an absolute peach, smooth and powerful beyond it's displacement with such a wide powerband it just makes you scream. Really good step up at 9,000 all the way to the soft rev limiter. I can see now why they gave it traction control with that surge when you open it up leaned over above 10k it could throw you.

The gearbox is silky smooth as well. Sussed out how to flick through the power modes and the array of electro-gizmo-thingy-stuff.

Anyway here's some pics finally.

Hitcher
30th September 2012, 17:54
Nice. Does MV make hard luggage for these?

LankyBastard
30th September 2012, 18:31
Despite the best efforts of our crap weather I have managed to get 4,000km on the F3 675 and one great trip Welly to Hammy and back via the Para Paras (Wanganui-Taumaranui for those unaware of a biking God amongst twisty roads). Also detoured along the Lost Highway, which seemed more of a goat track really, but fun.

Totally stoked with the bike now. Almost time to ditch the rear Rossos which isn't inspiring me with confidence. I' haven't cornered as hard or with as much lean as I used to on my Daytona because I'm just not sure how the Rossos will behave.

The engine is an absolute peach, smooth and powerful beyond it's displacement with such a wide powerband it just makes you scream. Really good step up at 9,000 all the way to the soft rev limiter. I can see now why they gave it traction control with that surge when you open it up leaned over above 10k it could throw you.

The gearbox is silky smooth as well. Sussed out how to flick through the power modes and the array of electro-gizmo-thingy-stuff.

Good to hear your progress!! Just had my first ride on my new F3 (in white) today, and like you i'm running it in normal mode. Went out with the idea of keeping it under 6k rpm but that lasted for about 5 minutes!! And I will second your comments about the F3's cornering prowess, such a pleasure!! And luckily I still have my tiger 1050 in the garage for those longer trips :yes:

Looking forward to having the bike fully run in and really testing it out! On the track of course....:shifty:

MD
30th September 2012, 19:22
And luckily I still have my tiger 1050 in the garage for those longer trips :yes:

Do you have any idea how jealous that comment just made me! You lucky lucky lanky bastard. I'd love to buy my Tiger back for touring, but money can only stretch so far.

I see Motorad have a new black F3 in store now. The white model has been popular in the States.

Power modes. I leave it in N (normal) for most riding and flick into S when I reach the twisties. I think it sucks more gas in S but mainly when cruising in traffic the abruptness in S is not as pleasant.

Share your thoughts on here as you clock up the miles LB. You will love it when run in. Check out the F3 section on www.mvagusta.net
If you have any questions drop me a pm. I think we are part of a small owners group.

Hitcher- my throw over Oxford saddlebags fitted fine on the rear. Hard luggage, heated grips, intercom, satnav, handguards and touring screen are on back order

LankyBastard
30th September 2012, 20:09
Do you have any idea how jealous that comment just made me! You lucky lucky lanky bastard. I'd love to buy my Tiger back for touring, but money can only stretch so far.

I see Motorad have a new black F3 in store now. The white model has been popular in the States.

Power modes. I leave it in N (normal) for most riding and flick into S when I reach the twisties. I think it sucks more gas in S but mainly when cruising in traffic the abruptness in S is not as pleasant.

Share your thoughts on here as you clock up the miles LB. You will love it when run in. Check out the F3 section on www.mvagusta.net
If you have any questions drop me a pm. I think we are part of a small owners group.

Hitcher- my throw over Oxford saddlebags fitted fine on the rear. Hard luggage, heated grips, intercom, satnav, handguards and touring screen are on back order

I'll definitely be giving my thoughts and update as I find dry roads and sunny skies! I have been frequenting the mv site, username Dented Frequency. I take it you go by MV in NZ?

I'm looking forward to using the sports mode, especially for track days. What are your thoughts on the traction control? Effective or not?

MD
1st October 2012, 10:36
I'll definitely be giving my thoughts and update as I find dry roads and sunny skies! I have been frequenting the mv site, username Dented Frequency. I take it you go by MV in NZ?

I'm looking forward to using the sports mode, especially for track days. What are your thoughts on the traction control? Effective or not?

Yep that's me on the MV forum. Keen to meet up with any fellow F3 owners. Only one in Wgtn is the Oro version and the Owner doesn't ride much these days on road. I've chatted to him.

I ride with level 2 TC on just out of curiousity and caution. I really can't say if I have triggered TC or not? For fun I switched to Rain mode once in the dry which is full level 8 TC. Big drop in power across the rev range and snapping the throttle open was hilariously funny for the lack of acceleration. I tried snapping it open while cornering but the trouble is I'm not sure if it was the low power keeping it slow or the TC keeping it slow?

I have experienced TC kicking in on a V4 Tuono and is disconcerting how it feels like you are running out of petrol for a few seconds until you realise it's the TC. Not felt anything like that so far on the MV but again I'd say I am riding fast, but not that fast until I change tyres for something I prefer like Pilot Powers, Conti Race-Street or maybe try the new Dunlop Q2.

As I mentioned before I do believe there is enough power lurking in the power band to deserve TC. My Daytona 675 had great smooth power but never enough 'rush' to cause concern for rear wheel spin.

I will do a track day soon so that's when I expect the TC to be triggered. I see one Owner in the States highsided it at a track day and blamed himself for turning the TC off, after a few sessions with it on. he was still on the OEM Rosso tyres too.

roogazza
2nd October 2012, 06:45
Hey MD, saw you Sunday heading north as I was coming home.The MV looks tiny on the road but easy to spot in those colours.
A couple of us have gone back to the 'Fish' on Sunday morns.
Catch up at the next cheapy trackday and you can tell me all about it. G.

MD
2nd October 2012, 06:57
Hey MD, saw you Sunday heading north as I was coming home.The MV looks tiny on the road but easy to spot in those colours.
A couple of us have gone back to the 'Fish' on Sunday morns.
Catch up at the next cheapy trackday and you can tell me all about it. G.

Yeah I found the usual suspects loitering at the Fish. Can't say the food or service, or scenery, is anything to rave about like days of old. Who was that I saw on a new white Speed Triple R heading home as I was heading towards the hill. Looks smart in white.

Time to do a track day for sure but not until I change tyres, which should be in a few weeks.

2_SL0
6th October 2012, 09:03
Damn nice looking bike. Be keen to hear how it goes for reliabilty, I could even be tempted if it gives you very little in the way of problems.