PDA

View Full Version : noisy exhausts

scooterboynz
5th August 2005, 10:56
hi ya all , not sure if this has been posted allready , just heard on the radio something about these boy racer cars with noisy exhausts , they want to slap an instant $200 fine and 10 demerit points if you are caught out and about ,,, bit of a worry , my bike is pretty noisy!

Pwalo
5th August 2005, 10:59
If your pipe is the pipe that the bike came with, or is certified for road use it shouldn't be a problem.

You can always swap it for my GS which isn't very noisy at all.

vifferman
5th August 2005, 11:03
The trouble is, it's entirely subjective. Even though I know my pipe is a bit loud, if I got slapped with a ticket for it, I'd be really pissed off and take it to court. I'd also insist they tested it.

I've already taken off the sticker that was on the frame that said summat about whatever it was the zorst complied with, how many dbA it was and (most critically) the identification mark on the muffler. The Satantune is not the muffler it was referring to (although it is quiet enough to pass testing when it has the proper restrictor in).

scooterboynz
5th August 2005, 11:04
nah my pipe is a micron aftermarket pipe ,, getting warrant of fitness is no worries , just dont want to get slapped with a $200 fine when out and about ,, though it says nowhere on my exhaust "not for road use" so i might be safe ??

bugjuice
5th August 2005, 11:06
don't think bikes are as much of a target. Most boy racers are stupidly loud. Bikes often have a reason to be loud. I don't think they'd care about us, unless they're having a really shit day, in which case, you could appeal against it..

Sniper
5th August 2005, 11:27
Nah, if your pipe is after market but is certifiably sold to you via a reputable dealer and its not tampered with in anyway (baffels ect) then dont worry. The cops are worried about the boy racers speeding around and waking p others at 2am in the morning

chickenfunkstar
5th August 2005, 11:51
The trouble is, it's entirely subjective. Even though I know my pipe is a bit loud, if I got slapped with a ticket for it, I'd be really pissed off and take it to court. I'd also insist they tested it.

I've already taken off the sticker that was on the frame that said summat about whatever it was the zorst complied with, how many dbA it was and (most critically) the identification mark on the muffler. The Satantune is not the muffler it was referring to (although it is quiet enough to pass testing when it has the proper restrictor in).

Is it a good idea to take that sticker off if you have a non standard exhaust?

vifferman
5th August 2005, 11:58
Is it a good idea to take that sticker off if you have a non standard exhaust?
It is, if it's referring specifically to an exhaust that's not there. If a cop (or WOF-fer) read it, they'd take one look at my pipe, and start getting picky...
If it was a non-specific sticker, that says summat like, "This zorst complies with blah blah blah" that was designed to go on the pipe, that would be different. As a matter of fact, Staintune have just such a compliance sticker for use in Orstrylya, so maybe I'll get one. Couldn't hurt to have summat I can point to - "See - it's perfectly legal/compliant/acceptable/whispery, oroficer!"

chickenfunkstar
5th August 2005, 12:04
It is, if it's referring specifically to an exhaust that's not there. If a cop (or WOF-fer) read it, they'd take one look at my pipe, and start getting picky...
If it was a non-specific sticker, that says summat like, "This zorst complies with blah blah blah" that was designed to go on the pipe, that would be different. As a matter of fact, Staintune have just such a compliance sticker for use in Orstrylya, so maybe I'll get one. Couldn't hurt to have summat I can point to - "See - it's perfectly legal/compliant/acceptable/whispery, oroficer!"

I've just checked it. It says
Stationary noise test: XX.Xdb @ XXXXrpm
Silencing system: Suzuki
Identification:XXXX

I'm assuming it refers to the standard system.
There's no rule which says you must have one of these stickers to get a WOF I'm assuming?

vifferman
5th August 2005, 12:08

There's no rule which says you must have one of these stickers to get a WOF I'm assuming?
Not that I know of. At present, the reg say summat like, "must not be significantly louder than the exhaust fitted when new".
I'd imagine it's for Kalifornia or Urpeen regulations (but I'm just guessing here).

kerryg
5th August 2005, 12:12
Last WOF test I had done the form had a little section which had the wording " muffler no more noisy than that fitted when sold new" or words to that effect. So I guess if they started strictly applying that most aftermarket cans would not comply. But I suppose there are a few problems actually applying the rule (how to know how noisy the original factory pipe was etc) which might be why it's not enforced with any rigour

chickenfunkstar
5th August 2005, 12:13
Not that I know of. At present, the reg say summat like, "must not be significantly louder than the exhaust fitted when new".
I'd imagine it's for Kalifornia or Urpeen regulations (but I'm just guessing here).

Cheers, i'll put it on my to do list.

kerryg
5th August 2005, 12:15

Beat me to that one vifferman :yes: . Great minds.......................

FEINT
5th August 2005, 16:25
The H-D riders will have something to worry about, now won't they? hehehe :clap:

vifferman
5th August 2005, 16:26
Beat me to that one vifferman :yes: . Great minds.......................
Wish I had one :confused:

notme
5th August 2005, 17:02

I gots one of dem too....

just wondering though - what do people's factory stickers say? As you can see mine says 92db with an A weighting, which is actually pretty loud for a factory system! Of course the new system on it now is a tad louder.....:devil2:

unhingedlizard
5th August 2005, 17:09
you hear about the new rules in the UK?
You will only fail an MOT if your exhaust has a "not for road use" plate on it. Sweet ha?

The catch is that cops can still pull you up and do you for a loud exhaust EVEN if you have a valid MOT.

White trash
5th August 2005, 17:13
hi ya all , not sure if this has been posted allready , just heard on the radio something about these boy racer cars with noisy exhausts , they want to slap an instant $200 fine and 10 demerit points if you are caught out and about ,,, bit of a worry , my bike is pretty noisy!

You're half right.

What's actually happening, is Labour have announced, as part of their election campaign, that all WOF checks on ay pasenger vehicle, would have to pass a noise test. The fines and demeit points are additions to this law if Labour is elected for a further term.

I've been watching the campaigns very closely (for once) and have 'till now, been undecided. Labour just shot themselves out of the running in my book.

Remember, this law will apply to EVERYONE, not just cars.

ManDownUnder
5th August 2005, 17:19
You're half right.

What's actually happening, is Labour have announced, as part of their election campaign, that all WOF checks on ay pasenger vehicle, would have to pass a noise test. The fines and demeit points are additions to this law if Labour is elected for a further term.

I've been watching the campaigns very closely (for once) and have 'till now, been undecided. Labour just shot themselves out of the running in my book.

It's political bullshit - there should be rules to say they're gunning for rules changes - end of story. None of this "if we're elected" shit, none of this "phase it in over 4 years (oopsie... look at that - that'll be the NEXT political term" bullshit.

If they want to do it - push for it. If not, push against it, or just shut the fuck up.

Sorry Trashy - not directed at you at all - just Politicians pushing my buttons at the mo.

White trash
5th August 2005, 17:25
Sorry Trashy - not directed at you at all - just Politicians pushing my buttons at the mo.

I'm with you mate, the way I see it, if it's a problem, sort it. Don't promise this and that IF we get elected.

And I happen to like noisy pipes on bikes (not too noisey) but when I get my chopper, you better believ that fucker's gonna be one noisy, trashy machine.

The other thing Ms Clarke failed to mention, was exactly HOW small WOF stations and service agents are expected to pay for the new (and expensive) noise testing equipment. This is typical knee jerk politician bullshit that I'm pissed off with.

And I wont vote Labour.

notme
5th August 2005, 17:48
There's an article on this on TV3 news tonight.......

zeRax
5th August 2005, 18:41
nzfirst and greens! winnie may be a sob but what politician isnt? winne is hardcore he'll sort some shit out, fuck national and labour, specially labour, vote for him! :D

WINJA
5th August 2005, 19:49
Last WOF test I had done the form had a little section which had the wording " muffler no more noisy than that fitted when sold new" or words to that effect. So I guess if they started strictly applying that most aftermarket cans would not comply. But I suppose there are a few problems actually applying the rule (how to know how noisy the original factory pipe was etc) which might be why it's not enforced with any rigour
THATS COOL MY BIKE WAS TESTED AT 93DB AT THE FACTORY AND DOT APPROVED, THATS FUCKEN LOUD , I LIKE QUIETISH BIKES

NordieBoy
5th August 2005, 20:57
The noise from the Nordie carries quite a long way but doesn't get much louder up close - you just know it's comming.

Hmmm, wonder what dB the SuperTrapp IDS with race core is putting out? :D

I don't think it's that bad - CSL followed me over the Takaka Hill once, Cath what did you think?

Motu
5th August 2005, 21:17
There is already a law in force - the POLICE just have to enforce it!

scumdog
5th August 2005, 21:20
The H-D riders will have something to worry about, now won't they? hehehe :clap:

Nup, only worry about the price of the factory extras!!

Seriously, it is NOT how loud it is that causes the problem, it's how you use the vehicle.

My F100 will set off every car alarm in a car-park building, - yet it is quiet enough to get a warrant or drive past a cop without them looking twice BECAUSE I know when I can 'boot-it' - without attracing unwanted attention.

Paul in NZ
5th August 2005, 22:07
I have a full factory system on the Guzzi

Fortunately time and rust have taken care of that! You beauty!

geoffm
5th August 2005, 22:12
The prbolem with noise tests, is that it is very dependent on the distance away from the exhaust, the angle between the outlet and the meter, the frequency, background noise and a whole pile of things.
it is hard to do right, and I wouldn't trust the apprentice or ex car dealer in the VTNZ station to do it properly.
Geoff

sels1
5th August 2005, 22:18
I have a full factory system on the Guzzi

Fortunately time and rust have taken care of that! You beauty!

Which is why I tend to keep a bit of distance on the open road you noisy bugger

DEATH_INC.
6th August 2005, 08:09
The prbolem with noise tests, is that it is very dependent on the distance away from the exhaust, the angle between the outlet and the meter, the frequency, background noise and a whole pile of things.
it is hard to do right, and I wouldn't trust the apprentice or ex car dealer in the VTNZ station to do it properly.
Geoff
Yep,this is a very real problem,for example we're under the airport flightpath,and our warrant bay is surrounded by big buildings.....you could never conduct any sorta noise readings....

JohnBoy
6th August 2005, 08:11
i went through this last year when i brought a race system for my ZXR. basically they said that as long as your not giving it stink around town (or the fuzz) you should be sweet.

White trash
6th August 2005, 08:30
My F100 will set off every car alarm in a car-park building, - yet it is quiet enough to get a warrant or drive past a cop without them looking twice BECAUSE I know when I can 'boot-it' - without attracing unwanted attention.

Obviously car parking buildings are a good start.

WINJA
6th August 2005, 11:04
You're half right.

THEY NEED TO APPLY THIS LAW EVENLY INCLUDING BUSSES AND TRAINS , CAUSE FUCK THERE IS SOME VERY LOUD BUSSES IN AUCK .
ID VOTE FOR ANYONE BUT LABOUR AFTER HEARING THIS ANNOUNCEMENT BY LABOUR , US MOTORISTS HAVE BEEN SODOMISED ENOUGH

Lou Girardin
7th August 2005, 16:43
Nup, only worry about the price of the factory extras!!

Seriously, it is NOT how loud it is that causes the problem, it's how you use the vehicle.

Halle-fucking-luya. Thank you Scumdog.
This is the reality about noise tickets folks, it's not how loud it is, it's how you use it.
(Disclaimer, this doesn't apply to Superdukes with Akrapovic systems)
They wake the dead at idle.

sAsLEX
7th August 2005, 17:14
Geoff

this is why there is already very strict and stingent standards about how to test vehicle noise, ok had they removed the legislation stating the standard to be achieved and replaced it with the GREY fuckin prhrase louder than when it left the factory!

Bugger, put that last post as a new thread... oh well :p

To ascertain how this 86dBA is measured you need to follow ISO 362 (practically identical to BS 3425).
There are conditions over 6 pages with all the details but these are the guts of it

-measurements shall be made in a level open area with no reflecting items (buildings, boulders, fences etc) within 50m.
-There shall be a minimum of 20metres square of ashphalt or similar road surface (that has to comply with ISO 10844... I did say it wouldn't be simple!) with a further minimum 10m stretch at either end (at least 3m wide) prior to entering the 20x20 area.
-The microphone is 7.5m away from the centreline in the middle of the 20x20 area
-4 measurements are made per side .. ie vehicle does at least 8 passes
-vehicle must be warmed up first
-As the bike approaches the 20x20m area it must be doing 50km/hr in 2nd and/or 3rd gear (if 5 forward gears or more are fitted). The bike then accelerates hard across the 20m and then the throttle is closed as the rear of the bike passes the 20m line
-if the engine RPM's exceed the maximum net power point, the test is done only in 3rd gear, otherwise both 2nd and 3rd are used
-minimum of 4 consecutive measurements must be done and be within 2 dB

and it goes on and on... (incidentally I do realise I'm the only one interested at this stage!)

ck explains the standard above that was in the regs, but instead they are just going to make their own as everyone knows that ISO regs are just crazy gibberish invented by monkeys.........

inlinefour
7th August 2005, 20:33
They are pretty quick to hand out tickets, but as stated earlier. If you have standard original exhaust you should be OK :yes:

GN1NiteStnd
8th August 2005, 09:53
My other half recently installed a loudmouth on my bike, I hope I dont get stung by this law! :no:

And i heard that you can get a fine for accelerating to fast!
What next? :no:

vifferman
8th August 2005, 10:04
just wondering though - what do people's factory stickers say? As you can see mine says 92db with an A weighting, which is actually pretty loud for a factory system! Of course the new system on it now is a tad louder.....:devil2:
The FahrtSturm had it actually stamped into the top of each muffler (a whole bunch of words and crap) that said it was 92dbA. IIRC, the sticker I ripped off the VFR (the same as in your pic) was under 92, summat like 89 I think.
I recall reading that my current 'muffler' is around 106 or 107 without the restrictor. With the current one, it'd be over 100, and with the original one, I think it'd be less than 92.

scumdog
8th August 2005, 10:21
The sticker on the swing-arm of the SportsterEss says "93.5db at 2,600rpm."

Never realised swing-arms were that noisy! :weird:

I wonder how loud the 'zorst is??? :whistle:

Wolf
8th August 2005, 10:41
I don't think they'd care about us, unless they're having a really shit day, in which case, you could appeal against it..
The only time the cops cared about the noise my old TS was making was when it had a whacking great hole in the exhaust pipe (I was waiting for pay day to get a new muffler bandage). It was pretty loud with all the holes plugged but that day it was louder than normal (but nowhere near as loud as when I ripped the pipe right off the muffler) and I got warned for it, told to fix it promptly.

Other than that I never had any hassles and my mates used to put the jug on when they heard my bike approaching (it was boiled by the time I got there, which should tell you how loud the bike was normally.)

Damon
8th August 2005, 11:26
I tested my pipes this weekend and at an idle they pushed 104db, a quick twist sent it passed the machines 114db limit, but i've had no issues with the police so long as i dont punch it while they are in ear shot.

vifferman
8th August 2005, 11:28
I tested my pipes this weekend and at an idle they pushed 104db, a quick twist sent it passed the machines 114db limit, but i've had no issues with the police so long as i dont punch it while they are in ear shot.
What sort of cans do you have on the 'Storm, shawda?

Wolf
8th August 2005, 11:42
My other half recently installed a loudmouth on my bike, I hope I dont get stung by this law!
That'd depend on the "loudmouth" - if he decided to get smart with the cop you might have problems... :devil2:

TLDV8
8th August 2005, 11:51
All i know is...A stock TL1000 header pipe with stock mufflers has little in common with a Full Yoshimura system noise wise.When i asked at the local LTSA,i was told no louder than stock,that would even go as far as not being able to fit a SS Commodore exhaust system to another Holden of the same basic body type.:confused:..I was thinking of making some kind of reducer (like the Staintunes have) to restrict the noise for static tests and to also keep in the tail compartment if it ever got to the stage of roadside hassles....you can pussy foot around all you want to keep the Db's down in town,but once you get out on the open road and up to cruising RPM's,there is little you can do? let alone things like the packing wearing out on twins at a fairly fast rate.. :brick:..A TL with a stock exhaust,its not right :mad: :devil2:

vifferman
8th August 2005, 12:00
I was thinking of making some kind of reducer (like the Staintunes have) to restrict the noise for static tests and to also keep in the tail compartment if it ever got to the stage of roadside hassles
I did that for my VTR. After going to several muffler shops (including a m/cycle zorst place) to tell them what I needed, I gave up, drew up a sketch of what I needed, then took it to Woolf Mufflers and asked them to make two. Worked exactly as expected, and reduced the noise to a level where it wasn't enough to attract unwanted attention, but still had that nice v-twin rumble. Cost me ~$60 for the pair.
The Staintune 'spuds' are around $32 each, stainless steel, and come with an allen-headed screw and washers. I ordered a spare one after I got the bike, so I can run the Satantune :devil2: without restrictor, with a cut-down one (which is what I run most of the time), or with a full one, which is pretty quiet.

Postie
8th August 2005, 12:22
personally i can't wait till they start doing somthing about the riced cars with dumb ass exhaust's that sound like fucking fog horns, not to be too much of a hypercrit as i have a car with a non-standard exhaust but its not there to be loud and its not, its just for performance. Anyway, back to the point, i have a mate, or rather an aquantence who has a series 3 RX7 and its bloody loud and sounds like shit, i have no idea how it got a WOF, it sounds like it has no exhaust at all...... most of these kids shouldn't be allowed on the road anyway. i have to go to town on Friday night to pick up my girlie after work and it makes me laugh to see so many dickheads "cruisin" up and down Queen St trying to make as much noise as possible :rofl: ........ loosers. :weird:

(pointless rant i know, but boredom has taken over me today)

bugjuice
8th August 2005, 12:27
personally i can't wait till they start doing somthing about the riced cars with dumb ass exhaust's that sound like fucking fog horns, not to be too much of a hypercrit as i have a car with a non-standard exhaust but its not there to be loud and its not, its just for performance. Anyway, back to the point, i have a mate, or rather an aquantence who has a series 3 RX7 and its bloody loud and sounds like shit, i have no idea how it got a WOF, it sounds like it has no exhaust at all...... most of these kids shouldn't be allowed on the road anyway. i have to go to town on Friday night to pick up my girlie after work and it makes me laugh to see so many dickheads "cruisin" up and down Queen St trying to make as much noise as possible :rofl: ........ loosers. :weird:

(pointless rant i know, but boredom has taken over me today)
so you'd think the same when you had the V8 tank?

Postie
8th August 2005, 12:44
so you'd think the same when you had the V8 tank?

that V8 van was a piece of history and an absolute beast, lake pipes either side will never be tamed. i had my fun but yeah that was probably too loud, but c'mon, its a twin holly V8 (me thinks i'm preaching to the wrong crowd)
maybe the flames were a bit too much, specially when it scorched the mechanic when the other was reving it to get it on the hoist...... :rofl:

bugjuice
8th August 2005, 12:51
that V8 van was a piece of history and an absolute beast, lake pipes either side will never be tamed. i had my fun but yeah that was probably too loud, but c'mon, its a twin holly V8 (me thinks i'm preaching to the wrong crowd)
maybe the flames were a bit too much, specially when it scorched the mechanic when the other was reving it to get it on the hoist...... :rofl:
hey, I had no issues with it.. didn't sound like a ricer rotoray anyway. That thing sounded like a road-legal monster truck! that's a nice sound.. but loud in the dead of night tho. And the flames were a nice touch. But not nice to touch :oi-grr:

Lou Girardin
8th August 2005, 12:57
Even Euro noise tests amuse me, how the hell does a Ferrari 360 pass the 90 decibel test?
Corporate backhanders?
Free cars for the testing agency?

Postie
8th August 2005, 13:04
hey, I had no issues with it.. didn't sound like a ricer rotoray anyway. That thing sounded like a road-legal monster truck! that's a nice sound.. but loud in the dead of night tho. And the flames were a nice touch. But not nice to touch :oi-grr:

aww, now i miss my monster truck......

ManDownUnder
8th August 2005, 13:13
Even Euro noise tests amuse me, how the hell does a Ferrari 360 pass the 90 decibel test?
Corporate backhanders?
Free cars for the testing agency?

[ENGINE OFF]
measure noise level
[/ENGINE OFF]

Pancakes
8th August 2005, 14:06
I was reading in Zoom magazine (Austrailian, no stickers and subs, just bad cars) about a new XR6 they had put a new exhauset on and were testing. The test was supposed to be all official like and involved driving past a test point at around 80 kph at 75% load. The numbers there are from my marginal memory but the idea is there anyhow.

Damon
8th August 2005, 14:21
What sort of cans do you have on the 'Storm, shawda?

A couple of Two Brothers, i have to push it out to the road to start it in the morning so i dont wake the neighbours. :Punk:

froggyfrenchman
8th August 2005, 19:52
anybody ever had a ticket for too loud bike? a cop 1ce pulld me up and told me my baffles might b on the way out (gb400 with straight pipes) i nodded and said thanks. I think this new law is aimed at young fellas on bikes, amagine the cop would have to b havn a bad day to through book at bikes

scumdog
8th August 2005, 19:55
anybody ever had a ticket for too loud bike? a cop 1ce pulld me up and told me my baffles might b on the way out (gb400 with straight pipes) i nodded and said thanks. I think this new law is aimed at young fellas on bikes, amagine the cop would have to b havn a bad day to through book at bikes

Yeah. I'll let you know the first time any of the boys gives out a ticket for noisy exhaust to a bike...

Motu
8th August 2005, 22:06

The Cops used to pull the aerial off their bike and put it up your pipe to see if you had baffles in,if it went all the way in you started burbling some crap about absorbtion systems and stuff - didn't make much difference,there was always something else they had me on.

scooterboynz
9th August 2005, 12:23
The Cops used to pull the aerial off their bike and put it up your pipe to see if you had baffles in,if it went all the way in you started burbling some crap about absorbtion systems and stuff - didn't make much difference,there was always something else they had me on.

shit my muffler is hollow all the way down , if he dropped his aerial he would loose it for ever!

Smorg
9th August 2005, 12:28
I was pulled over by a cop in the city on my bike, its pretty loud by itself out in the open but i was in a street with buildings either side so of course it amped the sound even louder.
He said i should keep it at lower revs in crowded places coz it scared people :Punk: :Punk:
Then he let me go as he was a budding motorbike rider on a GN250 :rofl: :rofl:

vifferman
9th August 2005, 12:37
While we're on this, what are the regulations for zorst noise at open days on the track?