PDA

View Full Version : '83 CX500 custom in Nelson

Asher
21st August 2012, 21:52
I have a friend interested in this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=502999832) bike in Nelson

Anyone here know the history of this bike? Is it a good runner? take a guess at what the auction will go to?

Cheers

Subike
21st August 2012, 21:58
ask the owner if it comes with a fresh oily rag.
very important for these bikes

gammaguy
21st August 2012, 23:25
i would be more keen to ask the owner how often he has to charge the battery:shutup:

dangerous
22nd August 2012, 05:39
I have a friend interested in this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=502999832) bike in Nelson

Anyone here know the history of this bike? Is it a good runner? take a guess at what the auction will go to?

Cheers

Dont know it but at 40k its still got over a hundie thour km left in it, bullet proof and proberly worth $2300

Having said that at 40k the cam chain should not have needed to be done, Id expect 140,000km considering its been 'rebuilt' so start price should top it out.

GrayWolf
22nd August 2012, 10:12
Dont know it but at 40k its still got over a hundie thour km left in it, bullet proof and proberly worth $2300

Having said that at 40k the cam chain should not have needed to be done, Id expect 140,000km considering its been 'rebuilt' so start price should top it out.

There was an issue with the cam chains on early CX's it may be one of those? I think from dim memory there was a slight 'mod' done as a fix. It does say the bike (cycle parts) not the motor was rebuilt, so I'd expect it to be pretty sound.

caseye
22nd August 2012, 10:38
Tell him to bid on it up to $2500.00, no more, it's in damn fine nick for it's age.

dangerous
22nd August 2012, 18:45
There was an issue with the cam chains on early CX's it may be one of those? I think from dim memory there was a slight 'mod' done as a fix. It does say the bike (cycle parts) not the motor was rebuilt, so I'd expect it to be pretty sound.

Na, 20+ years of CX ownership and I have never seen proof of early cam chain issues, all manual adjusters were are bullet proof 83 is actually a 81 last of the manual adjusters.

Tell him to bid on it up to $2500.00, no more, it's in damn fine nick for it's age.cos its been 'rebuilt' but yeah.

Asher
22nd August 2012, 18:49
cheers guys

FJRider
22nd August 2012, 19:30

The early VF750's had cam chain "issues" ...

dangerous
22nd August 2012, 19:43
The early VF750's had cam chain "issues" ...
Na ah... they had cam shaft issues, or more a oil ther part lack of issues

man you wana be Honda owners :rolleyes:

:msn-wink:

GrayWolf
23rd August 2012, 13:14

:msn-wink:

Nah, just couldnt bring myself to be a Nonda owner.... but then if it was a choice between Hardly Dangerous and Honda?? I gues I just started to 'bat for the other side'... gimme the honda :crybaby:

Bonez
24th August 2012, 20:07
Na ah... they had cam shaft issues, or more a oil ther part lack of issues

:msn-wink:Deem dam xsquirts e evverwer onn te intanit ah?

The manual adjusters are damn sight better than the later auto ones. Progress my dary err....

dangerous
24th August 2012, 21:32
The manual adjusters are damn sight better than the later auto ones. Progress my dary err....my 82 Eurosport was auto and every few thour km's yip new chain, my A and B never were touched in over 100,000km, simple really dont adjust they wont wear, but with autos they just keep on tightening till there be nothing left... Duno why but my turb sam year as the Sport never had issues?