PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone S20 tyres review - 500km

onearmedbandit
22nd August 2012, 19:14
Well it's taken me a lot longer to do this 500km, put that down to a big change in my life and crap weather and roads. So thanks to Dave, Jay and the team at Eurotred while I've been in hibernation.

Today was an average day, conditions were overcast and cold with the odd patch of sun but rain always threatening. Perfect conditions to go out and knock the last few km's off to hit the 500km mark. I headed out on familiar roads so I could concentrate on what the tyres are doing, and the roads were a perfect mix of good (but cold) dry corners combined with patches of wet and the odd bit of mud and grit.

The S20's reward you for working them, and they inspire you to do this. The harder you push them the more feedback you get, positive feedback that only encourages you. This is not to say they don't do their job at a more sedate pace, because they certainly do. But wind it up a bit more and they hit their sweet spot. Whether setting up for a corner on the picks, or winding it on out of a bend they feel stable and secure. In fact they pretty much get in your face and say 'is that all you've got'. So you give them more punishment and they respond perfectly, working with the suspension to iron out any dramas the road surface chucks your way.

A number of corners I hit today started out dry but had patches of wet tarmac mid bend, with some being almost turned to mud by recent roadworks. Of course the secret to this scenario is to remain smooth, to not be sudden with any input. Any tyre will be capable of getting you around a corner like this. But how they do it is important. And the S20's I'm glad to report handle changes like this with no fuss. I had no moments today despite riding at pace in varying conditions, and I owe that to the tyres ability to take anything thrown at them in their stride.

Once again on the way home I found myself not wanting to stop riding. The more you 'use' these tyres the more they reward you. Encourage you. They make riding fun again (my own perspective after my last set of tyres). I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle track work, hopefully that will come up soon.

So after 500km they have really impressed me. They have retained their shape well and despite some abuse of the throttle have not been ripped up (although some thanks for this must go to Ohlins and Racetech suspension). I'd still recommend them, and have done. And if I was considering buying tyres these would definitely be on my list.

Rock on the next 500km. Life has settled down and summer is just around the corner.

Fast Eddie
22nd August 2012, 19:24
mint! haha yea took ya a wee while to clock up 500k bro.. i prob chuck that on the bike every couple weeks. prob get some for the blade soon. Aprilia needs new shoes too.. but narrower rims.
Sound like sweet tyres, good feel and feedback eh?

Eurotred (NZ) Ltd
27th August 2012, 14:22
Good Stuff Fraser, sounds like your enjoying them. :niceone:

JayRacer37
28th September 2012, 15:36
Rock on the next 500km. Life has settled down and summer is just around the corner.

Hey Fraser, hows your riding been down your way? Looks like the weather has been getting a little better? Or is it still gritty and horrible :(

onearmedbandit
28th September 2012, 15:43
Hey Fraser, hows your riding been down your way? Looks like the weather has been getting a little better? Or is it still gritty and horrible :(

Yup getting a lot better, although did a run over to Akaroa on Wednesday, started fine but rain a little over the hill. On the way back it was 20ft visibility over the hill and wet the whole trip. Another report coming soon.

JayRacer37
28th September 2012, 15:47
Yuck! Looking forward to the next one ;)

G4L4XY
2nd October 2012, 15:05
A good read as I've just bought a rear! So much more expensive than a 250cc tyre :(