PDA

View Full Version : 2012 R1 street review

Shaun P
23rd August 2012, 16:36
"MY2012 iR1"

The evolution of sportsbikes these days are happening at a slower pace these days more so from the Japanese big 4. The most publicised change to this model year is traction control which in my opinion has more 'save your ass' benefit than abs.

Why? because when you are pushing on through a series of corners and you lose rear wheel traction it is often harder to catch on a road setup due to the softer suspension and seat than your typical race bike. When this happens it is very fast and can result in a nasty highside when the rear tyre regrips but even then its not foolproof..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cb615tzxJ3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cont..

The TC is adjustable through levels 1-6 with wheelie control on 5 and 6 are also the 3 power modes A B and C the default is B mode which is fine for the street.

There are plenty of reviews out there so I will focus more on the shortcomings and how to fix them.
As with most sportbikes they are quite highly geared in standard form also the springs are normally progressive, so changing out these parts from the onset is an excellent bang for buck performance mod.

Stock vs change specs for this

Fork springs .920 kg/mm to 1.050 kg/mm with ohlins oil

Shock spring 9.5 kg/mm to 11.0 kg/mm with rebound seperator valve and ohlins oil

Gearing 530 17/47 to 520 15/46 (yes this does affect speedo and there are ways to correct it such as speedo healer but as to not knowing the affect on TC..)

Also,

Soft Grips

GP shift.

Post set up and riding the machine it now feels much more balanced and purposeful. Also recently fitted were the gytr slip on mufflers which are so - so in quality and fit but do unleash a less restrictive deep sound which allow you to get involved with the musical tones of the engine.

The latest evolution R1 (09-12) has a secure feeling when cranked over mid corner with seemingly good chassis balance and the oem dunlop sportmax tyres 190/55 R 120/70 F offer all the performance you would need for the road and prob be adequate for the track although there are more suitable options for this purpose.

During initial running in I noticed the running temps getting quite hot more so in traffic situations with the fan cycling on a fair bit so the next in line was in the cooling department changing out the coolant for distilled water and water wetter which resulted in much lower running temps and fan did not come on at all. There is still quite a bit of heat radiated up from the exhausts but this is only really an issue in traffic and can be overcome by fitting a midpipe or full exhaust system

Next up for stage 2 will be installing the Hel braided brake lines(great to deal with just ring em up and tell em what you want plenty of info on their web site also) and the techtronics autoblipper (I like gadgets..) with some pirelli hoops for some track riding @ Broadford and Phillip Island in the coming weeks.

There are also some performance and power delivery gains to be had with ecu and exhaust tuning particularly in the engine braking department but these are relatively high cost items that will have to happen at a later stage.

If you have had 4 cylinder 1000cc bike in the past and are looking for something different but cant afford European exotica then this could be a good compromise as the engine character and power delivery are all involving with solid chassis balance brings back riding to grass roots and a smile to the dial :woohoo:
Plus the TC gives that extra feeling of security to the weekend road warrior..

White trash
23rd August 2012, 16:59
The latest evolution R1 (09-12) has a secure feeling when cranked over mid corner with seemingly good chassis balance and the oem dunlop sportmax tyres 190/55 R 120/70 F offer all the performance you would need for the road and prob be adequate for the track although there are more suitable options for this purpose.

Great write up Shaun, glad you're loving the bike. I'd seriously disagree with the above however. Both from my own personal experience and customer feedback from people I've sold X-Planes to I'd say the Dunlop performance is woeful and I've even had a customer complain to Yamaha NZ on their little satisfaction survey that he thought the Dunlops were absolute shit. The OE Bridgestones fitted to Suzukis are far more confidence inspiring.

Of course there's possibly some differences in spec for the 11-12 tyres as well.

Shaun P
23rd August 2012, 18:31
Great write up Shaun, glad you're loving the bike. I'd seriously disagree with the above however. Both from my own personal experience and customer feedback from people I've sold X-Planes to I'd say the Dunlop performance is woeful and I've even had a customer complain to Yamaha NZ on their little satisfaction survey that he thought the Dunlops were absolute shit. The OE Bridgestones fitted to Suzukis are far more confidence inspiring.

Of course there's possibly some differences in spec for the 11-12 tyres as well.

These are a Dunlop sportmax qualifier 2, not sure about what previous years have been, I was never a fan of the oem dunlops that were on the '05-'06 zx10r's, I think they were Dunlop Qualifiers 190/50 120/70.

I have not had a problem with these ones although they may be compensated in part by the TC. Well I will rephrase to - having all the performance I would ever need on the road..they will be changed out in due course anyway

Shaun P
23rd August 2012, 19:00
Another great feature I forgot to mention is the oem shock has a hydraulic preload adjuster, who wants to mess around with those pita preload collars

BigAl
23rd August 2012, 19:05
Good stuff Shaun, are you intending to dyno it?

I've read that there is a bit of a hole in mid range that can be fixed with a remap, will watch with interest.

DMNTD
23rd August 2012, 19:18

Best tyres for road use that I have used (to date) have been Conti Sport Attacks

Shaun P
23rd August 2012, 19:44
Good stuff Shaun, are you intending to dyno it?

I've read that there is a bit of a hole in mid range that can be fixed with a remap, will watch with interest.

Yes at some stage, not too concerned about the mapping until I have a full exhaust system, also there are more adjustments avail than just fuelling if you have the right ecu or flashed ecu with changes such as base maps for ign and fuel, map load bias, fuel cut on deceleration, secondary throttle body opening, idle speed, so more about power delivery and ridability than an outright power curve on a dyno @ 100% throttle

Shaun P
26th August 2012, 19:12

Techtronics are another good outfit do deal with and have good communication with any queries. The unit I received was well packaged had good installation instructions. what you get is the control unit, wiring harness, some positap connectors that plug into the harness and an on/off switch that mounts to the clutch lever clamp bolt.

I didnt have any trouble installing the system and as long as you take some time to route the wires correctly it is fairly straight forward. More info @ http://techtronicsracing.com/ basically there are 3 wires that tap into the bikes ecu, hook ups to the brake switch, clutch switch and gear position sensor. So the idea is you only get the blip activated when you are on the front brake while downshifting each time you pull the clutch in.

The unit works as advertised and is adjustable on the unit for how much 'blip' you actually want. It is really of the most benefit on the racetrack especially I would imagine if you were going to hot into a corner - to maintain a stable entry downshifting without needing to go near the throttle. I have only tested it on the road so far..:soon:
It does work fine on the road too and with the on/off feature easily accessible you would probably save it for those 'spirited' rides :scooter: You can also feel when the throttle blips through slight movement/feedback of the twistgip.

AllanB
26th August 2012, 19:32
Good write up. A darn shame Yamaha took one of the best looking sport bikes and progresively made it ugly over the last few years. Apparently form and function no longer go together at Yamaha.