PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw experts?

98tls
23rd August 2012, 21:18
Tis the internet so no doubt everyones an expert but,looking to buy a new saw and though i spent plenty of time using one when a lot yonger not to much in the last 10 years,way back was a big fan of Husqvarna (old 2100s) but times have moved on and had a look today at a MS311 Stihl,Makita something or rather which was a couple of hundy cheaper with much the same specs,bar size etc.Not looking to earn a living with the thing its purely for firewood mostly pine which i need to drop myself etc.Been looking on Trademe but have decided to just buy new from a dealer with the warrenty etc.Anyone with that model Stihl with an opinion good or bad...

unstuck
23rd August 2012, 21:25
Get a proper stihl or a husky, or a jonsereds as a last resort. :Punk:

davebullet
23rd August 2012, 21:34
My jonsereds is hardly used yet starts 1st pull everytime. 'nuff said

ellipsis
23rd August 2012, 21:35
...my Stihl 026 is still running the same plug that was in it new...20 years ago...and it has worked its arse off for every one of them...I have been helping a mate do a heap of milling and tree work of late and I cant help but love working with his Huskys, still prefer my stihl...just...

Subike
23rd August 2012, 21:39
Ask A professional , too many ex spurts on here , who think they know

ellipsis
23rd August 2012, 21:41
Ask A professional , too many ex spurts on here , who think they know

...some of us may be...

unstuck
23rd August 2012, 21:45
I used to have all stihls, but going more the way of huskys now. I think the stihl still have some of the better features, but their dealers down this way are a fucking rip off, compared to the husky agents. That farmboss would be a good saw though.:Punk:

98tls
23rd August 2012, 21:56
...my Stihl 026 is still running the same plug that was in it new...20 years ago...and it has worked its arse off for every one of them...I have been helping a mate do a heap of milling and tree work of late and I cant help but love working with his Huskys, still prefer my stihl...just...

Many years ago i worked on a few blocks down in Tokanui(down south/spelling?)all clear fell and all native sadly..looking back,everyone had Huskys bar 1 bloke with a Stihl,was a bit of a box with a bar attached but the thing just went and went,Husky was good but every night after work we had to tighten things up as they would try to vibrate themselves to bits,awesome grunt though.This MS311 i looked at seems pretty good,theres a MS391 to,same everything with a bit more grunt though i think the 311 would do everything i need and its a bit cheaper.

98tls
23rd August 2012, 21:58
I used to have all stihls, but going more the way of huskys now. I think the stihl still have some of the better features, but their dealers down this way are a fucking rip off, compared to the husky agents. That farmboss would be a good saw though.:Punk:

We dont have a Husky dealer here,any chance you could call in at the dealer and get a price for the compareable Husky,ie 60cc/20 inch bar etc?

unstuck
23rd August 2012, 22:03
I have an 023 that I bought new 18yrs ago all its had is new chain,bar and sprockets and one new plug and it gets used just about everyday. gets rolled around in the digger or on the dozer and starts everytime, the best feature of the stihl for me is the acsses to the air cleaner.:Punk:

unstuck
23rd August 2012, 22:05
We dont have a Husky dealer here,any chance you could call in at the dealer and get a price for the compareable Husky,ie 60cc/20 inch bar etc?

Yep, could do that for you tomorrow as I need another roll of chain and a couple of files.:niceone:

98tls
23rd August 2012, 22:11
I have an 023 that I bought new 18yrs ago all its had is new chain,bar and sprockets and one new plug and it gets used just about everyday. gets rolled around in the digger or on the dozer and starts everytime, the best feature of the stihl for me is the acsses to the air cleaner.:Punk:

Fair call,small point but thought "about time" when looking at the new Stihl i noticed the caps for gas etc,easy as fuck to open and big hole,as i said small point but can remember back when using a saw for a living the frustration at having to get the plug spanner out just to open the cap to gas up as it was so tight then being in such a hurry to fill it with the skidder coming and being a tree short that you poured more on the ground than in the saw.

98tls
23rd August 2012, 22:13
Yep, could do that for you tomorrow as I need another roll of chain and a couple of files.:niceone:

Cheers mate,will have a look on here tommorow night.

unstuck
23rd August 2012, 22:17
This is probably what your after. http://www.husqvarna.com/nz/forest/products/xp-saws/346-xp/#features But will ask the local guy and see if they can do any better. The only real downfall for me with the stihls is the chrome bore, which you cant do fuckall with, so pretty much a throw away barrel job if things do go wrong, like you forget the oil in the fuel or split boot or similar.:Punk:

Daffyd
23rd August 2012, 22:21
I had a Stihl, can't remember the model; quite small, 20years and never missed a beat. Bloody near gave the thing away at a garage sale before I moved here. I think it might have been an 016.

unstuck
23rd August 2012, 22:30
Like this one was it? Got a couple of these for pruning my pines.:Punk:

hayd3n
23rd August 2012, 22:42
i heard there has been a few sthill copys getting into the country so make sure they arnt copys!!!

gsxr
23rd August 2012, 22:53
Two things you dont lend is this life.

Your wife and your chainsaw as they both come back FUCKED.

Boo
23rd August 2012, 23:15
Stihl have torquer motors they'll lug though any thing.
Huskys are revers and need revs to keep going.
Stihl you can hold all day.
Huskys make your hands tried.
A stihl feels heavier as they bite in hard.
Husky are smooth and so long as the revs are up will cut well.
A stihl blows there salvageable.
A husky blows and pieces is all your left with.
Decide the bar length you'll need,something that will handle a longer enough bar to drop it and change to a shorter bar when cutting it up.
Invest in some good wedges, chaps, hard hat, muffs and googles.
Get the googles that have vents on the side and a hard hat that adjusts to the size of your head and dosn't fall off.
Keep the drags on the stihl high as they cut in hard and the drags take away the cut material in less revolutuions.
Huskys cut well with more rev, keep the drags lower as the material left behind helps it stay stable.

TimeOut
24th August 2012, 07:26

Oamaru Chainsaw & Mower are the Husky dealers

Have had both Husky and Sthil both good saws
but Sthil seem to have cheapened them a bit (done away with the fuel prime and the decompression button) the MS250 bought 2 years ago was hard to start (high compression) I even broke the rope, They made an adjustment to the inlet timing I think and it is getting better with use

martybabe
24th August 2012, 07:44
Not much experience with different brands but I know for a fact the cheaper ones ain't built to last. I bought a Stihll from a pucker dealer a month ago, all the back up and spares you need. The saw itself (domestic user here) absolutely brilliant, only got a short bar but it goes through anything like a knife through butter. Recommended.:yes:

CookMySock
24th August 2012, 08:43
Get the Stihl. No question. Parts and service everywhere, not that you will need it. Use the most expensive lubricants you can find.

BOGAR
24th August 2012, 09:12
I have a husky and a still and I like them both. Both start quickly even after an extended period. I prefer the husky filling caps for petrol and oil as I have found the caps on the still can look closed but aren’t so I am always double checking them. The still has no issues with stopping but the husky you need to pull the starter cord out a little when you switch it off (it certainly has a bit of a pull to it). Get it slightly bigger than you want as there is nothing like a saw that can actually cut well rather than pissing around with a smaller saw for longer. My dad is chronic for getting the cheap ones and killing them in a season, but has yet to destroy the husky. Maybe go for you what you can get parts for locally though I have only needed a chain and plugs so far and get a good chain on it as that can make a big difference in cutting. Knowing how to sharpen it right is a big must. You will always get people preferring one or another for whatever reason but for just cutting some fire wood up it shouldn’t make much difference. Go somewhere to see both side by side and just pull things off and put them back on and choose the one you like. I think the biggest thing you want to think about it the actual size of it. My husky is 85 cc and cuts like a hot knife through butter every time and makes it easy. The still is smaller and takes longer but is still good for the average size of fire wood and easer to lug around. My preference is the husky for 90% of cutting unless it is small branches that you need to hold somehow to stop them becoming projectiles. Then the still is better.
just a thought.

duckonin
24th August 2012, 09:50
98tls, I have just purchased another saw, 'Stihl MS 261'. It is only 50cc but it runs out at 2.8kw. Smooth as well balanced runs up to a 20inch bar, dry weight 5.1kg without bar and chain, cost $1550, it is a commercial saw to be used all day. Yes price is up there but you get what you pay for.

Have just sold my Husky 281 now too big and got rid of my Husky 455R as I just did not like it.

My other saw a 'Stihl O32 AV' gave me good service for the last 30 years and apart from some electrolysis still goes well. Love using that little buggar and had flipped over a few big trees with it. Using 50/55cc saw keep your chain sharp they will do the job every time.

willytheekid
24th August 2012, 10:39
Pffft amateurs!...he's after a REAL MANS chainsaw!

98TL...this is the preferred brand mate:

The hello kitty "Chainsaw massacre" set
http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/helllo-kitty-chainsaw-onipepper.jpg
Notice the pritty colour!, the apron for "slash back" and the face mask for 'guess who"!...oh and the pritty party hat:yes:
...that sir, is THE chainsaw to own

....I think you could even cut wood with it?:confused:

(my real vote would be Still...well proven saws)

unstuck
24th August 2012, 10:44
Pffft amateurs!...he's after a REAL MANS chainsaw!

98TL...this is the preferred brand mate:

The hello kitty "Chainsaw massacre" set

Notice the pritty colour!, the apron for "slash back" and the face mask for 'guess who"!...oh and the pritty party hat:yes:
...that sir, is THE chainsaw to own

....I think you could even cut wood with it?:confused:

(my real vote would be Still...well proven saws)

That looks like an old pioneer?

98tls
24th August 2012, 13:04
Oamaru Chainsaw & Mower are the Husky dealers

Have had both Husky and Sthil both good saws
but Sthil seem to have cheapened them a bit (done away with the fuel prime and the decompression button) the 025 bought 2 years ago was hard to start (high compression) I even broke the rope, They made an adjustment to the inlet timing I think and it is getting better with use

Hes not doing them anymore mate,instead hes selling Makita.Reckons he could still get me a Husky etc,i noticed hes got the business up for sale so what the next owner does who knows.The Honda shop has a part of the shop dedicated to Stihl with a big lineup of saws/parts etc and the guy i was dealing with knew his stuff so decided i will go with them and buy the 311,the 391 isnt much dearer really and a bit more grunt but overkill for my needs i think.The 2 year warranty a plus with the Stihl compared to the likes of the Makita with only one year.

98tls
24th August 2012, 13:16
Cheers to all for your input, some interesting reading there.As above decided to go with the Stihl,even if the Husqvarna was cheaper there not being a dealer heres a bit off putting,the Stihl will do all i need to do and more methinks.

ellipsis
24th August 2012, 14:18
...the mention of the price of good bar oil made me cringe a little...my bro was off to the States to work and brought round a few bits and pieces he thought I may have a use for...one item was a 20 litre drum of oil that he said I should use...it sat around for a long time and I really thought it was unboiled Linseed Oil...it kind of smelt that way and was a bit sticky...I clad my shed with old totara weatherboards with the unpainted backs as the exposed side...knowing that I had a heap of 'linseed oil' and not having much use for it I thinned it down with turps and splashed it over the cladding...looked great...one summer and a bit of winter passed and the boards lost all the oil, it went powdery and then washed off...I wont use linseed oil again I thought...a couple of years later when my bro was back I mentioned it to him and he cracked up...' didn't I tell you it was bar oil'... every time I dig into the pocket to pay huge money for the good stuff I remember it all well, and cringe..

98tls
24th August 2012, 15:15
Had to go into town so bit the bullet and handed over the hard earned.Cheers again for the advice.

SPman
24th August 2012, 15:24
I've had an O35 and then, after some Canterbury arsehole broke into the shed, an O32AV. Both did good work on anything up to trying to pit saw a 20m Macrocarpa log !!!!
Currently got an MS250, and it handles keeping the gum trees over here in control, around the property - trimming, limbing and felling, as required - seems about on a par with the old O32AV.....but easier to use.

slofox
24th August 2012, 15:32
My dinky wee Stihl has been running for some 20 years or more now and, apart from the odd sharpen and one new bar (after some fuckwit jammed it in a log :whistle:) it has never missed a beat. I'd buy another one.

unstuck
24th August 2012, 18:08
Good choice , well done. :Punk: Now all you need is a copy of Barnacle Parps guide to the chainsaw, an oldie but a goodie.:niceone:

ellipsis
25th August 2012, 02:15
...a very warm and apt end to it all..some good music to drop things with..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QWuXmfgXVxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boo
25th August 2012, 04:36
What length is that bar, looks like a 26 in. Keep the chain adjusted, the longer bar wears the chain guides out, you need a 18 in to cut the smaler stuff.
Must be some pretty big pines.

98tls
25th August 2012, 05:24
What length is that bar, looks like a 26 in. Keep the chain adjusted, the longer bar wears the chain guides out, you need a 18 in to cut the smaler stuff.
Must be some pretty big pines.

Does look long in the pic but its only a 20 in.

fuknK1W1
25th August 2012, 17:03
Get a proper stihl or a husky, or a jonsereds as a last resort. :Punk:

Yeah that is if you can't find one of these...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/Trickypiccies/Shakytown%202011/Dadsadventuretonarnia145.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/Trickypiccies/Shakytown%202011/Dadsadventuretonarnia146.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/Trickypiccies/Shakytown%202011/Dadsadventuretonarnia147.jpg

nadroj
25th August 2012, 18:09
Just a tip for those looking at buying quality trade appliances - call into a few hire places to see what they are renting, as they know what can handle weekend warrior and apprentice users!

Stihl chainsaws, weedeaters & wet vacs

Hitachi breakers & drills

Robin or Honda engined compactors or water blasters

unstuck
25th August 2012, 18:40
Very nice chug a saw there FunK1W1.:2thumbsup

ellipsis
25th August 2012, 20:04

...are you familiar with the 'chug a saw'...

1billyboy
25th August 2012, 20:18
Got me a Echo back in 1982. 3 bars, 10 chains and a carb kit still going like new.:wari:

unstuck
25th August 2012, 20:45
...are you familiar with the 'chug a saw'...

Only what I have read, the only one I have ever seen up close was in the matakoe kauri museum .:Punk::Punk:

unstuck
25th August 2012, 20:49
Got me a Echo back in 1982. 3 bars, 10 chains and a carb kit still going like new.:wari:

Had a couple of Echo 452 vl,s years ago. they where good workhorses.:Punk:

ellipsis
25th August 2012, 23:05
...i'd forgotten that fuknKIWI had been taking photos in my shed on his last visit...I made that run about 25 years ago and then put it on the shelf...Ohlsen and Rice of Long Beach, Ca, made that thing prior to 1954 which I believe is when they went out of business...cool eh...

unstuck
26th August 2012, 07:07
Awesome wee motors those ohlson and rice, apparently they do everything from pushbike engines to washing machine engines.Would love to get one for the collection one day. I have a nice collection of old pioneer,s and macoulochs.:Punk::Punk:

unstuck
26th August 2012, 08:11
Once you get all the firewood cut, you may want to try something like this.:Punk:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?index=6&amp;list=PL2891D7987DFC6C26&amp;hl=en_ US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ellipsis
26th August 2012, 11:55
...I checked out a bloke up in Oregon many years ago who had been involved with knocking down Coast Redwoods (Seqouia) all his life...his life then was doing shows daily to tourists, showing an accumulated life of skills with his chainsaws...he could carve anything it seemed, and so lifelike. He carved a life sized grizzly that looked so real...took about an hour and then he sold his works...he handled his four saws he used, like a surgeon...but I still wont allow anyone to come near a building job of mine with a chainsaw...

fuknK1W1
26th August 2012, 18:50

It actually resides in the shed of our man ellipsis...

Akzle
26th August 2012, 19:20
OP - buy stihl. i've never seen a stihl fuckout that didn't have it coming. (running way lean, running the chain backwards...)

incase no-one's posted it yet. look up youtube V8 chainsaw. and jason *mental blank* nz timbersport champ - half of a v6 jetski motor strapped to a bar and chain.

the only good thing about that harley carving would be setting it alight :D

Winston001
27th August 2012, 13:34
Good on you Mike, that looks like a good choice. Large enough and powerful enough to tackle anything. I'm a Stihl fan. There are some things in life where buying the best rewards you for years afterwards.

I'm fortunate: my brother and I share two Stihls. One is an 025 (45cc) which is simply a delight to use. I can reach out and cut onehanded if pushed. My brother (a farmer) likes it so much I seldom see it. Its been going for 15 years and never missed a beat.

The other is an 066 (90cc) which we bought second hand from the Stihl shop. It was traded in by a young forestry guy who liked to have the latest new saw. Fair enough, everyone wins.

Its a beast...and its MINE!! I loves it. A bit heavy and not adapted for garden shrubbery but if you grit your teeth and plan, you can level a hurrer of a lot in one sweep. Makes a hedge trimmer look like a toy.

At this point I should admit that after 30 years of accidentfree chainsaw use (farm and firewood), the 066 did bite me recently. Trimming some willow saplings, late evening, tired, rested the saw across my leg. Done that many times but this time it gave me a friendly nip. Cleanest cut I've ever seen at least it healed well.

Anyway I now use chainsaw chaps.

unstuck
27th August 2012, 17:49
Im lucky, I got my lesson in chapless chainsaw work when I was 15. Got myself right across the top of the knee, down to the bone. Always wear chaps now.:Punk:

nallac
27th August 2012, 20:21
Awesome wee motors those ohlson and rice, apparently they do everything from pushbike engines to washing machine engines.Would love to get one for the collection one day. I have a nice collection of old pioneer,s and macoulochs.:Punk::Punk:

Any Pic's of your collection?. I love my old Mac's.

Winston001
27th August 2012, 21:33
Cut my teeth on a McCulloch as a farmboy years ago. A lovely saw when it went but Dad wasn't great with understanding small motors so it was often a bitch to start. Or maybe it was just a bitch. The Stihl is indescribably better.

Actually its probably memories of the old yellow McCulloch which drove me to buy the very best saw I could find. Live and learn.

geoffm
27th August 2012, 22:11
I got a Stihl 010AV as a Christmas present when I was 16 (I was into woodturning in a big way). Still got it - nice saw for small work.
Got a well used MS230 Stihl second hand for bigger wood last year. Believe it or not, the saw that gets the most use recently is a little $
Ozito from Bunnings - about a 12" blade and 25cc. We milled a lot of pines recently on the farm and chopped a lot of branches up, and the small saw has worked fine for the 10m3 of wood. The top handle and smaller size makes it ideal for chopping branches using a sawbuck.
I didn't expect much, but so far I am quite impressed, especially for the price.

Other toy is a bench chain grinder ($100 from TM) - makes sharpening chains faster. I have a 12v electric file grindstone I ha ve had for years -get one if you are doing a lot. Much faster than a file. About $30 these days - mine cost a lot more 10-15 years ago.

When we bought the farm in 1977, it came with a well second hand McColloch ProMac. A Real Mans Saw, no wossy chain brakes, shakes like an alkie with the DTs and heavy, but grunty. Still goes, but not used much, the newer saws are so much nicer to use.

nallac
27th August 2012, 22:28
I like Macs