PDA

View Full Version : Question WR250F forks problem

rocketman1
24th August 2012, 19:54
Just wondering how to get the lower hexangonal nut and the fork strut separated.
I can turn the hexagonal allen key easily but this doesnt seem to undo anything.
It seems to just keep turning, and the strut inside the fork just spins feely.

I have tried with the fork comperssed up, ie fork cap screwed down with spring in place.
Anyone can help me here.

bogan
24th August 2012, 19:58
I think its screwed into the damper rod or something, you are supposed to insert a special tool (funny shaped socket, some might use standard sockets?) down the fork to hold it captive. A rattle gun often spins it off without though.

SVboy
29th August 2012, 10:22
Plus one to the advice above-rattle gun or try inserting a rounded broom handle down the fork tube to stop the damper tube from rotating[or there wil be a specalised holding tool available]

Bonez
3rd September 2012, 12:57
A 3/4 spacer between the cap and spring might give it that little bit of extra tention. In the olden days you made a tapered square end from some suitable mild steel round stock and gently tapping it inside the damper rod. Hold the other end of the round stock with a pair of vice grips. Leaves 4 notches on the inside of the rod for future use so it's probably shunned apon these days.

warewolf
5th September 2012, 21:53
Ummm good ideas gents but I seriously doubt if a sub-10yo enduro bike has damper rod forks...

Generally I can get mine on/off by removing the spring, compressing the fork and cartridge, and gentle pushing the cartridge sideways to create friction at the bolt threads. If it's been loctited then perhaps some gentle heat will help. A few sharp tugs on the spanner can do the trick, simulates a rattle gun. It is a near thing with mine though; one leg usually works easily, the other is a fiddle.