PDA

View Full Version : What tyres for a Bandit 1200?

nzspokes
25th August 2012, 09:03
Me Bandit is getting through her tyres so will need a new set soon. Been thinking about PR3s but have heard a Bandit can be rough on them. I do ride twisties a lot so give them a hard time.

Ive got Avon Ultra 2s on of unknown age but ive done 6k on them. Fronts wearing badly on the right side.

PR3s seem to be a premium price so what else will work on me old oil boiler.

ktm84mxc
25th August 2012, 09:54
Spokey jump on ya bike and shoot down and see Mike at Dury performance tyres he'll sort ya out , knows his stuff and has a great choice of tyres with most major brands in stock.

hayd3n
25th August 2012, 10:31
Round Black Ones

ktm84mxc
25th August 2012, 10:56
Haydn you forgot a hole in the middle , just like a big black doughnut.

hayd3n
25th August 2012, 11:34
ohhh sorry you may have t cut a hole in the middle to fit said round black tyre

frogfeaturesFZR
25th August 2012, 11:45
Michelin Pilot Powers 2ct
Reasonable price, and pretty sticky.

SMOKEU
25th August 2012, 11:56
Michelin Pilot Road 2.

Gremlin
25th August 2012, 11:58
PR2 or Metzeler Z8. I've done 20,000km on a rear PR2 and 26,000km on a front PR2. All commuting tho.

The PR3 isn't the best bet for heavier bikes given that the carcass is so soft. Their performance is unquestionable.

Re Avon, look up posts from KoroJ. Can't remember which model he had, but he had no end of grief...

FJRider
25th August 2012, 12:03
Me Bandit is getting through her tyres so will need a new set soon. Been thinking about PR3s but have heard a Bandit can be rough on them. I do ride twisties a lot so give them a hard time.

Ive got Avon Ultra 2s on of unknown age but ive done 6k on them. Fronts wearing badly on the right side.

Twisties usually wear evenly over the entire surface of the tyre. And it is usual for one side of the front tyre to wear more than the other side.

Madness
25th August 2012, 12:33
Metzeler Z8 for good all-round performance & longevity.

iYRe
25th August 2012, 12:33
after following nzspokes the other day... seems he does lean to the right a bit more than the left

:P

FJRider
25th August 2012, 13:32
after following nzspokes the other day... seems he does lean to the right a bit more than the left

:P

A political bias ... maybe ... :innocent:

Drew
25th August 2012, 14:51
Shinkos, no I'm not kidding. Apex 010 is a very good tyre for grip and sensational feedback.

Jantar
25th August 2012, 14:55
Hitcher is having a good run with the Road Attack 2 GTs. Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/147883-Continental-Road-Attack-2-GT-on-a-Suzuki-GSX1250FA?highlight=gsx1250fa
I believe I'll be putting them on for the summer.

pritch
25th August 2012, 15:18
Shinkos, no I'm not kidding. Apex 010 is a very good tyre for grip and sensational feedback.

Ummm I thought you were supposed to be pushing Bridgestone? :whistle:

Drew
25th August 2012, 15:23
Ummm I thought you were supposed to be pushing Bridgestone? :whistle:

Same wholesaler.

banditrider
25th August 2012, 15:28
I used to run Metzlers on my Bandits but now I'd probably go with PR2's. A mate gets about 14k out of them on his K6. I get consistently get around 12k on the Connie with them (better than I got from a set of PR3's).

whowhatwhere
25th August 2012, 18:27

What sort of mileage you getting?

Drew
25th August 2012, 18:33
What sort of mileage you getting?

Hard to say. I got at least 4,000 from a front, but then I raced on it. Still had well legal tread when I took it off, but since the shithouse 016 Bridgy on the rear was fucked I upgraded to a pair of racetecs.

AllanB
25th August 2012, 19:49
Running Conti Road Attack 2's on my Hornet 900. I am impressed so far, I prefer them to Pilot Powers and Pilot Road 2's. Only 2500 kms so far so early days yet regarding how long thy will last.

Avon have a range of new 3D tyres out that may be worth a look.

mossy1200
25th August 2012, 20:08
Hitcher is having a good run with the Road Attack 2 GTs. Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/147883-Continental-Road-Attack-2-GT-on-a-Suzuki-GSX1250FA?highlight=gsx1250fa

Im getting great results from conti sport attackII. Nice ride and wearing well on my 240kg bike.

GrayWolf
25th August 2012, 20:37
I havw tried Diablo's, etc etc, on a mixture of 'heavyweights' FJ1200abs (275kg wet) ZZR1100, 260kg wet, and now the MT 265kg wet...
At present I am using Bridgestone sport tour dual compound. With the heavy carcass designed for ST1300, FJ1300 etc, Gotten about 8k form both and they are just on the point of looking to replace soon... caveat emptor, the hill I have to cross every day is reknowned for destroying tyres, due to its surface and wrong cambers on tight bends.

neels
25th August 2012, 21:29
I'm about to stick another pilot road 2 on the front of the ducati, last one has been on there since I bought it 14k's ago, and still enough life in it to bung it on the other bike for a while.

mrchips
26th August 2012, 07:09
Michelin Pilot Road 2.

+1,000

I commute & currently have a PR2 rear & the older PR (Pilot Road) on my Bandit's front. I've done approx. 10,000km & they're still only half worn + no sign of squaring off.

I swear by the PR2's & PR3's tho. especially the PR3's, they feel really planted in the wet.

SMOKEU
26th August 2012, 10:28
+1,000

I commute & currently have a PR2 rear & the older PR (Pilot Road) on my Bandit's front. I've done approx. 10,000km & they're still only half worn + no sign of squaring off.

I swear by the PR2's & PR3's tho. especially the PR3's, they feel really planted in the wet.

I like my PR2s in the wet as well on the Gixxer. They're good on a track as well.

ducatilover
26th August 2012, 13:51
PR2s would be my bet.
I run PPs on my bike, but that just hits 200kg wet...so not relevant (have so far managed 3000km from the rear though, but the sides are getting a bit bald) :yes:

Sharry
26th August 2012, 19:10
I went with Rob (NZSpokes) today to Cycletreads today with his front wheel. He chose a PR2 to go on everybodys recomendation. On taking the old tyre off in one small spot the tyre was through the tread. Strange as it was one small spot. But he says the new tyre feels amazing once we had a small run out to the beach to scrub it in.

Thanks for your help.

Hitcher
26th August 2012, 20:41

8,000km on them so far. The rear is starting to square a bit but I reckon perhaps another 2,000km should see them off. No bad habits and good in the wet.

hellokitty
27th August 2012, 14:59
I went with Rob (NZSpokes) today to Cycletreads today with his front wheel. He chose a PR2 to go on everybodys recomendation. On taking the old tyre off in one small spot the tyre was through the tread. Strange as it was one small spot. But he says the new tyre feels amazing once we had a small run out to the beach to scrub it in.

Thanks for your help.

I had a small area on the Harley tyre that was down to the guts of it! Scary indeed.
I got PR3s on the Hornet and am very very happy with them - very sticky, and I am feeling very confident now since ditching the Shinkos.

nzspokes
27th August 2012, 15:40
I had a small area on the Harley tyre that was down to the guts of it! Scary indeed.
I got PR3s on the Hornet and am very very happy with them - very sticky, and I am feeling very confident now since ditching the Shinkos.

been told many places the PR3s not that suited to big guy on big bike, PR2 is better suited. But PR3s seem to be the tyre for 900 Hornets.

hellokitty
27th August 2012, 15:42
been told many places the PR3s not that suited to big guy on big bike, PR2 is better suited. But PR3s seem to be the tyre for 900 Hornets.

How much does the bandit weigh?

Gremlin
27th August 2012, 15:44
With the caveat that tyres are extremely subjective. Boss fitted PR3s to his Hornet but hated the handling (was doing quite a bit of 2up). Fitted Z8s and he was much happier.

PR3 vs PR2, the PR3 has a more sporty profile and softer compound, excellent performance in wet. PR2 is a more neutral tyre. I love the PR2, but I guess there will be a barely used set of PR3 for the Hornet in a year or so when I finish the PR2 :shifty:

hellokitty
27th August 2012, 16:08
PR3 vs PR2, the PR3 has a more sporty profile and softer compound, excellent performance in wet. PR2 is a more neutral tyre.

The guy at Cycletreads knows my fear of the front wheel washing out :facepalm: I could ride the Harley in a downpour, but as soon as it started drizzling, on the Hornet, I would panic - flashback to the BMW front wheel washing out in the gravel :facepalm:
He said that the PR3 would be awesome in the wet.

nzspokes
27th August 2012, 16:18
How much does the bandit weigh?

250kg, same as me.

hellokitty
27th August 2012, 16:40
250kg, same as me.

eh? You don't weigh 250 kilos.... eaten a lot of pies since I saw you last?

Grant`
28th August 2012, 22:53
To be honest, if I was able to push a PR2 and a PR3 to really see any notice any significant difference on the road i would be riding well to fast for the conditions.

Both great tyres, with oodles of grip but once I wear these PR3's out on the Predator I will be either going back to the PR2 or testing a set of Z8's out being the great reviews they seem to be getting.

Gremlin
29th August 2012, 00:43
To be honest, if I was able to push a PR2 and a PR3 to really see any notice any significant difference on the road i would be riding well to fast for the conditions.
Speed isn't the only way to test the tyre for your needs... Carcass flex can really affect handling with very little speed involved.

ducatilover
29th August 2012, 00:53
Speed isn't the only way to test the tyre for your needs... Carcass flex can really affect handling with very little speed involved.

You're too right there. I'm not one to push in corners, but I can say my bike handles far better/nicer on Pilot Powers than any bike I've owned.

nzspokes
29th August 2012, 06:58

Both great tyres, with oodles of grip but once I wear these PR3's out on the Predator I will be either going back to the PR2 or testing a set of Z8's out being the great reviews they seem to be getting.

To be fair my Bandit and me would be signifigantly heavier than you and your bike. So tyre flex is an issue. And forums from aussies with Bandits say they munch through PR3s, PR2s are better suited to them.

And of course I never break the speed limit.

Grant`
29th August 2012, 07:11
To be fair my Bandit and me would be signifigantly heavier than you and your bike. So tyre flex is an issue. And forums from aussies with Bandits say they munch through PR3s, PR2s are better suited to them.

And of course I never break the speed limit.

lol never break the speed limit :shutup:

Even my bike is wearing through the PR3's quicker than I would ilke it to, the wearing was really noticeable during the summer months when the road conditions were hotter, I get much better mileage out of PR2

banditrider
29th August 2012, 07:16
Concours tyre diet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsXSsPBaLry4dE5lUnZyWEs5dWFMWEhGM3JDN1Nmd Gc)