PDA

View Full Version : Cold Kiwi: Anyone for some gravel on Saturday?

Rosie
27th August 2012, 16:13
We'll be going for a bit of a ride from the Cold Kiwi on Saturday, any other starters are welcome to join us :sunny:

Route is as yet undecided, so any ideas are welcome. I'll look a the maps tonight and post up my thoughts tomorrow.

:scooter: :cold: :drinkup:

Eddieb
27th August 2012, 16:43
On that same note, I'll be leaving Wellington early Friday morning and heading up threough the Manawatu back roads to the Cold Kiwi, gravel will be involved.

.chris
27th August 2012, 16:58
I am looking pretty highly likely to be coming, definitely keen for a saturday jaunt.
I was thinking about heading up Tukino ski-field road for a look on the way there/home.

I guess a mid-winter trip through the 42nd could be some fun?

jellywrestler
27th August 2012, 17:18
I am looking pretty highly likely to be coming, definitely keen for a saturday jaunt.
I was thinking about heading up Tukino ski-field road for a look on the way there/home.

I guess a mid-winter trip through the 42nd could be some fun?

I was at the Kiwi Site at the weekend with a few locals, they say they've had a shit load of rain lately, kiwi site is fine but other places are still questionable, for the 42nd you'd probably want to check with the locals as to how it is at the moment

Shewolf
27th August 2012, 20:50
I'll be taking the DR, may just do a short blat on the Saturday morning, apparently I'm needed for something involving weenies :shit:

but I'm easily persuaded when gravels concerned :devil2:

Rosie
28th August 2012, 08:25
Hmmm... Tukino ski field, I hadn't thought of that. Will add it to the list thanks Chris.

A bit of a browse around on the Open GPS maps suggests a large number of wiggly (presumably gravel) roads in the general region between Turakina Valley Rd, Mangaweka-ish and the Napier Taihape Rd. Most of these don't show up on the AA maps, so either they don't exist, or they are small and awesome. Either way, there is potential for Adventure.

I'm inclined to load up a few different routes through these roads onto the GPS, and go for an explore. The route would be fairly convoluted, and close to SH1, or other large-ish roads, so if anyone wanted to just come for a short blast, it would be easy to peel off part way through.

jellywrestler
28th August 2012, 09:32
I'll be taking the DR, may just do a short blat on the Saturday morning, apparently I'm needed for something involving weenies :shit:

Forget the Weenies, register for one of the new events 'Scrambled Eggs' you'll have a ball

Rosie
28th August 2012, 10:01

Pheh, you can snatch weenies any time, you should come riding with us instead :yes:

I was feeling a bit 'meh' at the prospect of riding the same roads we did last year (and the year before), but all the new stuff I found on the map last night has me doing a little happy dance :wari:

Box'a'bits
28th August 2012, 17:56
Pheh, you can snatch weenies any time, you should come riding with us instead :yes:

I was feeling a bit 'meh' at the prospect of riding the same roads we did last year (and the year before), but all the new stuff I found on the map last night has me doing a little happy dance :wari:
Watcha thinking of doing?

I've finally committed to coming again - now I just have to figure out if that's friday arvo, or saturday morning. If you are doing some cool roads / tracks then I'll make sure i'm there early saturday morning. :yes:

Rosie
28th August 2012, 18:28
Watcha thinking of doing?

I've finally committed to coming again - now I just have to figure out if that's friday arvo, or saturday morning. If you are doing some cool roads / tracks then I'll make sure i'm there early saturday morning. :yes:

We don't have an exact route planned; there are a maze of interesting looking roads between Turakina valley rd and SH1, so I'll load a few likely routes (of varying length) into the GPS (Koeke Rd, Kaweka Rd, Manui Rd looks good, for example), and we'll start out down Turakina valley rd, then (eventually) cross over SH1 south of Taihape, and look around the maze of roads south of the Napier-Taihape (again choosing between routes of varying length - Pukeokahu and Matawhero Rds look good). We'll arrive in Taihape just in time for Beer O'clock, then cruise back to the Rally site before it gets dark (or have an early beer o'clock and do more gravel back to Turakina rd from Taihape).

90% of the roads are totally new to me, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. They are all routeable roads according to the Open GPS maps, so we shouldn't end up in some farmers paddock, but most are too small to feature on the AA maps, so they are unlikely to be sealed superhighways either. Hopefully this combination will result in roads of sufficient coolness for your requirements :sunny:

New roads are exciting, I'm looking forward to it. :scooter:

Gremlin
28th August 2012, 18:42
Expect the maps to be inaccurate there. No way those can all be sealed roads, there's also bits of broken road in random places.

Essentially, it means none of the guys contributing to the maps have been through the area and tracked it more accurately, so there may be roads not on the maps and I'm sure there will be bits that don't actually exist. It makes for excellent exploring though!

Shewolf
28th August 2012, 18:45
yeah - you had me at 'wiggly' :Punk:

Rosie
28th August 2012, 18:58
Expect the maps to be inaccurate there. No way those can all be sealed roads, there's also bits of broken road in random places.

Essentially, it means none of the guys contributing to the maps have been through the area and tracked it more accurately, so there may be roads not on the maps and I'm sure there will be bits that don't actually exist. It makes for excellent exploring though!

Yeah, I'm now cross-referencing with google maps and the open gps people appear to have been smoking some interesting substances when they made some of these roads routeable by car/motorbike.

I thought the idea of the open gps was that the roads were generally user-submitted, so if it's on there, someone, somewhere had travelled along it and considered it to be an actual road (and a legal one at that, presumably). Unlike the topos, which base their roads on satellite images and wishful thinking. If they are just sticking random stuff on the open gps maps (and letting you route along them), the maps lose a lot of their usefulness.

But even if we play it safe and stick to roads the AA know about... there is still plenty of exploring to do :scooter:

Box'a'bits
28th August 2012, 19:43
The district plan map, (http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rangitikei.govt.nz%2Findex.ph p%2Fbylaws%2Fdoc_download%2F185-11-rural-taihape-south&ei=IXY8UPjiO82TiQf35YDACw&usg=AFQjCNEtDdUAe7rUlXXHUIIdHaf5DIr_nA) does tend to support the fact that some of those roads exist & more importantly link anyways :mellow:

Howie had a ride on Ridge Rd South a while ago - but that was in summer & I recall that it was dry but had been very pugged up with stock - an implication that in winter it might be 'challenging'. Challenging is good. :shifty:

Worst case we do a U turn & back out

Matawhero Rd is 'O' for Awesome - fast flowing gravel. I'd be quite surprised if you haven't done it though

Eddieb
28th August 2012, 20:06
Off SH1 not far south of Taihape is Gorge road, which turns into Wairanu road and then into Torere Road.

Not far up Torere Road is Puhirua Road, Puhirua road exists on the maps but is unmarked when you get there, it just looks like a farm track. I tried to go down it after cold Kiwi last year but 100 meters into it were about 100 grazing cows on a track 10 foot wide and I couldn't get through them. It looks like it could be worth another look though.

http://www.wises.co.nz/l/puhirua+road/#c/-39.712964/175.876179/15/

Howie
28th August 2012, 21:49
The district plan map, (http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rangitikei.govt.nz%2Findex.ph p%2Fbylaws%2Fdoc_download%2F185-11-rural-taihape-south&ei=IXY8UPjiO82TiQf35YDACw&usg=AFQjCNEtDdUAe7rUlXXHUIIdHaf5DIr_nA) does tend to support the fact that some of those roads exist & more importantly link anyways :mellow:

Howie had a ride on Ridge Rd South a while ago - but that was in summer & I recall that it was dry but had been very pugged up with stock - an implication that in winter it might be 'challenging'. Challenging is good. :shifty:

Worst case we do a U turn & back out

Matawhero Rd is 'O' for Awesome - fast flowing gravel. I'd be quite surprised if you haven't done it though

Ridge road south appears in this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/115493-Two-nights-away-Rangitikei-and-Hawke-s-Bay/page6
There is link posted by drbandit on the last page that should lead to a ride report where he got right through ridge road south. I also know Kaweka rd has been ridden during the summer months although I'm still to do that, and looking at the length of the grass at the start it may not be the time of year to do it.

Crisis management
28th August 2012, 21:59
If it's of any use.. Colin took me on a couple of Open source "roads" on the way to the MMMM, I did suggest that as they weren't on the AA maps maybe they didn't exist. I was right, farmers paddocks was the best description and deceptively muddy sinking both bikes a few times. Very entertaining, but after apologising to the one farmer we found he did point out that one of his neighbours didn't take kindly to that sort of incursion and it could have ended a bit uglyish.

Be sensible.

dino3310
28th August 2012, 22:07
yeah that sounds like something Colin would do:laugh:

Howie
28th August 2012, 22:11
Another good short road is Kotukuraeroa road which is east of taihape, A couple of pics Bart took of it appear on page 5 of the thread I mention above. Again it might be fairly wet in the middle of it this time of year, and is like a farm track in the middle.

Box'a'bits
28th August 2012, 22:18
Another good short road is Kotukuraeroa road which is east of taihape, A couple of pics Bart took of it appear on page 5 of the thread I mention above. Again it might be fairly wet in the middle of it this time of year, and is like a farm track in the middle.
That's Bart's Nemesis track? :facepalm:

Howie
28th August 2012, 22:22
That's Bart's Nemesis track? :facepalm:

Wasn't going to mention that bit :shutup:

Gremlin
29th August 2012, 00:40
I thought the idea of the open gps was that the roads were generally user-submitted, so if it's on there, someone, somewhere had travelled along it and considered it to be an actual road (and a legal one at that, presumably). Unlike the topos, which base their roads on satellite images and wishful thinking. If they are just sticking random stuff on the open gps maps (and letting you route along them), the maps lose a lot of their usefulness.

No, the maps started out with LINZ data I believe (or similar). The problem is, that when the data was submitted (like, decades ago, before it was actually created) that was what was planned. Whether or not it was actually created was a different story. A couple of towns I checked out, Denniston and Bulwer, by map data said they were several streets large. In reality, the town never developed as planned and basically barely existed. Very common stuff. Another debate is paper roads, roads farmers want to be private but shouldn't be, tons of stuff really.

Over time, the NZOGPS maps will be the best source of digital maps for NZ (if they aren't already). As users submit more corrections (hell, I even go for rides to prove the maps wrong) it will become more and more accurate. However, even new developments (like the quarry in Auckland) have streets that are not laid out according to LINZ data... simply has to be travelled and corrected... I simply go somewhere and log what I see. If I see a local I might ask what the status of this or that is, etc.

clint640
29th August 2012, 08:14
This one has gotta be high on the list:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/clhandcock/otaihaper.jpg

:devil2:
Clint

Rosie
29th August 2012, 08:20

Clint

What's that white stuff stuck to the sign? I don't like the look of that :mellow:

Thank you for all the road suggestions everyone :yes: I will add them into the selection process.

Eddieb
29th August 2012, 09:06

Clint

Where exactly is that Clint? Google is not giving me any answers

Rosie
29th August 2012, 09:17

As a guess: Otaihape Valley Rd is a no exit road going southwest from Taihape township. It heads in the general direction of the aforementioned Ridge Road South, but then stops. Or does not stop, if Clint's sign is anything to go by - WAMS shows access going all the way through to Ridge Rd, and has a green blob at the Ridge Rd end, presumably a scenic reserve? (You'd think DoC would list their scenic reserves on their website, but apparently not)

Rosie
29th August 2012, 09:31
Off SH1 not far south of Taihape is Gorge road, which turns into Wairanu road and then into Torere Road.

Not far up Torere Road is Puhirua Road, Puhirua road exists on the maps but is unmarked when you get there, it just looks like a farm track. I tried to go down it after cold Kiwi last year but 100 meters into it were about 100 grazing cows on a track 10 foot wide and I couldn't get through them. It looks like it could be worth another look though.

http://www.wises.co.nz/l/puhirua+road/#c/-39.712964/175.876179/15/

Gorge Rd was on the list, so good to know that it exists. Tuhoe Rd that loops off the bottom of it looks interesting, Basecamp will send me through there on a bicycle, but not on a motorbike, which has me intrigued.

Has anyone done Watershed rd (western side of SH1, comes out south of Mangaweka)? It looks suitably wiggly, and it is on the AA maps, so may even exist.

Eddieb
29th August 2012, 09:49
Gorge Rd was on the list, so good to know that it exists. Tuhoe Rd that loops off the bottom of it looks interesting, Basecamp will send me through there on a bicycle, but not on a motorbike, which has me intrigued.

Has anyone done Watershed rd (western side of SH1, comes out south of Mangaweka)? It looks suitably wiggly, and it is on the AA maps, so may even exist.

Gorge / Wairanu / Torere Roads are all sealed but nice roads. Puhirua Road is a farm track.

I haven't done Watershed but have done Kiekie at it's southern end. Kieikie is a nice enough sealed road and what you can see of Watershed road as you go past is sealed.

Rosie
29th August 2012, 09:52
Gorge / Wairanu / Torere Roads are all sealed but nice roads. Puhirua Road is a farm track.

I haven't done Watershed but have done Kiekie at it's southern end. Kieikie is a nice enough sealed road and what you can see of Watershed road as you go past is sealed.

From squinting at the satellite images, a lot of Watershed rd looks unsealed... but who knows.

Gremlin
29th August 2012, 10:26
Basecamp will send me through there on a bicycle, but not on a motorbike, which has me intrigued.
Routing restrictions for various reasons. Either vehicle types are prohibited (possibly allowed with permit) or terrain restricts use. Motorbikes and cars are one category in routing unfortunately...

Rosie
29th August 2012, 10:32
Routing restrictions for various reasons. Either vehicle types are prohibited (possibly allowed with permit) or terrain restricts use. Motorbikes and cars are one category in routing unfortunately...

That's what I figured. I'm hoping for "terrain restricts use" - because it possibly won't :shifty:

Now to lower the tone of the thread considerably: I'm rethinking my plans to swap on my roadier tyres :mellow:

Eddieb
29th August 2012, 10:54
Depending on how things go I might do Ratamaire road 2-up Friday afternoon and there's also talk of a trip up to the skifields saturday.

.chris
29th August 2012, 11:07
Depending on how things go I might do Ratamaire road 2-up Friday afternoon and there's also talk of a trip up to the skifields saturday.

I think a trip up a few of the ski-field roads would be a good plan, I don't think I am going to be keen for a huge day on the bike, the ski field roads could be a perfect option for that.

Rosie
29th August 2012, 11:21
I think a trip up a few of the ski-field roads would be a good plan, I don't think I am going to be keen for a huge day on the bike, the ski field roads could be a perfect option for that.

Does this mean you are bringing your bourbon collection? :blink:

I'm keen to do Tukino, maybe Saturday, maybe Sunday on the way home (forecast is looking kind-of ok for Sunday).
Will discuss with Clint tonight, and we'll come up with a bit of a plan.

Shewolf
29th August 2012, 12:48
I'm going looking for snow :Punk:

.chris
29th August 2012, 13:50
Does this mean you are bringing your bourbon collection? :blink:

I'm keen to do Tukino, maybe Saturday, maybe Sunday on the way home (forecast is looking kind-of ok for Sunday).
Will discuss with Clint tonight, and we'll come up with a bit of a plan.

I don't have a trailer to drag the entire collection with me. :shifty:
And the whole Cold Kiwi being no BYO makes that tricky.

Howie
29th August 2012, 15:29

Looks very similar to a pic I have in the links I posted above of the un-maintained section of Ridge road south. Not the same pic, but same place.

Eddieb
29th August 2012, 22:52
Have got my route North figured out

Box'a'bits
30th August 2012, 21:50
Lord I hate packing.

Leaving Wellington at Lunchtime Friday. See you up there.

Shewolf
2nd September 2012, 20:40
few pics from the weekend - no gravel but had fun hooning around the site :yes:

269349 269350 269351 269352 269353 269354

Shewolf
2nd September 2012, 20:44
few more pics

269358 269355 269356 269357 269359 269360

Rosie
3rd September 2012, 08:51
Left Rotorua mid-afternoon for a very pleasant ride south on the highway. My new winter gloves and my new windstopper necksock were doing the business, there were views of snow-capped volcanoes, and all was well in the world.

Until my bike started making high-pitched grinding noises. Roadside inspection indicated a collapsed countershaft bearing.

So I took a few arty photos, while waiting not-so-patiently for the AA to arrive.

The WR's engine is currently in bits, waiting on a flywheel puller so we can assess the damage to the gearbox. There is one solitary ball left in the countershaft bearing. But we think we know where to find the rest of them :weep:

Paul in NZ
3rd September 2012, 09:10
Darn - that looks like a cold wait.....

Eddieb
3rd September 2012, 09:17
That was bad news. Chris enjoyed your share of the Pav.

Rosie
3rd September 2012, 09:25
Darn - that looks like a cold wait.....

Fortunately we were set up for camping, so had lots of warm clothes with us (and a tent, if it had come to that).

The AA did take all eternity to get their shit together though.

Eddie: I'm glad our pav didn't get wasted. We had a couple of rums on Saturday night and talked about motorbikes. It was just like being a the cold kiwi. NOT :angry:

Shewolf
3rd September 2012, 10:19
bad luck - I hope the WR has a speedy recovery :(

.chris
3rd September 2012, 11:04
A few of my photos from the weekend, I will sort out a RR and some non 1920's sized photos on that other site in the next day or two.

3rd September 2012, 11:12
Brilliant photos Chris. :yes:

Rosie
3rd September 2012, 11:22
bad luck - I hope the WR has a speedy recovery :(

Probably won't be a speedy recovery unfortunately. Unless I push it into the sea and claim insurance :shifty:

Paul in NZ
3rd September 2012, 11:42
Probably won't be a speedy recovery unfortunately. Unless I push it into the sea and claim insurance :shifty:

Well if you get caught just call it a drunken mistake...

Cary
3rd September 2012, 14:58
Probably won't be a speedy recovery unfortunately.

Bugger! Not good news, not like your ringing it's neck everywhere either. Most unexpected.

Maybe someone should let Naki Colin know.......

At least you've got a good mechanic. Let us know if you find a cause.

Rosie
3rd September 2012, 15:17
Bugger! Not good news, not like your ringing it's neck everywhere either. Most unexpected.

Yes, I do have a good mechanic. Cheap too :innocent:

I've got a flywheel puller on loan from our bike shop, so we should be able to get it apart and assess the damage tonight.

(I say "we" in the loosest sense of the word. Clint will pull the motor apart, I will be in the kitchen where I belong)

Paul in NZ
3rd September 2012, 15:53
Yes, I do have a good mechanic. Cheap too :innocent:

He is inexpensive dear - no one should ever be cheap.....:wacko:

.chris
3rd September 2012, 16:17
Kinda half finished my RR (http://www.pixelle.co.nz/adv/ck/) warning, over 42mb of high res images, dial-up users beware!

That looks like fun
3rd September 2012, 19:37

He may already know :eek5:

However as Rosie has looked after her WR, ridden it with due care and consideration, serviced it regularly, whereas I have wrung the nuts off mine I am sure I wont have the same faliures :oi-grr:
:corn:

bart
3rd September 2012, 22:04
Kinda half finished my RR (http://www.pixelle.co.nz/adv/ck/) warning, over 42mb of high res images, dial-up users beware!

Good stuff Chris. You shoud've had a go at the hillclimb...

4th September 2012, 06:37
Clint will pull the motor apart, I will be in the kitchen where I belong

At least you have the priorities straight. Thats a good start :shutup:

Rosie
4th September 2012, 08:10
He may already know :eek5:

However as Rosie has looked after her WR, ridden it with due care and consideration, serviced it regularly, whereas I have wrung the nuts off mine I am sure I wont have the same faliures :oi-grr:
:corn:

No sign of anyone else having the same issue, so maybe I'm just 'special'.

The flywheel puller didn't fit, so I'll see if I can borrow a second one off the shop tonight. Pattersons are very good sports for lending us tools. This is why it pays to shop locally, at least some of the time :yes:

clint640
4th September 2012, 09:57

Great pics Chris! Those skifield roads leading up Ruapehu are an often overlooked spot for some top riding & views.

Cheers
Clint

.chris
4th September 2012, 10:21
Great pics Chris! Those skifield roads leading up Ruapehu are an often overlooked spot for some top riding & views.

Cheers
Clint

I had planned to go up Tukino on my way home but it was cloudy and pretty chilly so I gave it a miss.

paturoa
4th September 2012, 19:42

No room for a tripod. Nice pics.

I couldn't make it this year with work commitments, sad bugger!

Beem02
4th September 2012, 22:18

Great pics in your RR .chris
How long did it take to get through the 42nd?
I'm thinking of heading through there for the first time in about 3 weeks.
Cheers, Bruce

Rosie
5th September 2012, 08:21
No room for a tripod. Nice pics.

You can do a surprising amount with a tiny folding tripod. I got some really good photos of the fire at the Cold Kiwi last year. I did have to lie on the ground to take them though. It took a while to get a decent shot, so a nice man came over to check that I hadn't passed out :facepalm:

Eddieb
5th September 2012, 08:33
I've posted a gallery of pics here Adventure Riding NZ Cold Kiwi 2012 pics (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.461384380549962.104448.195801783774891&type=1), You don't have to be a member to see them.

.chris
5th September 2012, 10:28
Great pics in your RR .chris
How long did it take to get through the 42nd?
I'm thinking of heading through there for the first time in about 3 weeks.
Cheers, Bruce

It took me about 1hr40mins.

dino3310
5th September 2012, 11:03

would be a long push to the sea from rotorua mate, maybe just park it on the roadside:shifty:

Hope you get it sorted before summer

Rosie
5th September 2012, 11:08
would be a long push to the sea from rotorua mate, maybe just park it on the roadside:shifty:

Hope you get it sorted before summer

Silly boy, I was planning on trailering it to the sea :yes:

Still don't have the gearbox apart. Pattersons are being good sports at lending us several flywheel pullers, they just haven't managed to lend us the size I asked for.

jellywrestler
5th September 2012, 12:24
How was the Rally anyway folks?????

Eddieb
5th September 2012, 13:10
How was the Rally anyway folks?????

The rally was good, though the firewood situation was crap. We had to go hunting deadfall as we only mananged to secure about an hours worth of wood total for both nights.

Shewolf
5th September 2012, 13:46
I didn't have a problem with firewood, after 3 or 4 loads on the DR ;)

Weren't as many people this year, wasn't as cold, not as many rat bikes - still great fun though, a must do.

One of these things is not like the others...
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/Shewolfnz/Events/2012%20Cold%20Kiwi/P1020948.jpg

jellywrestler
5th September 2012, 16:12
The rally was good, though the firewood situation was crap. We had to go hunting deadfall as we only mananged to secure about an hours worth of wood total for both nights.
some of that is due to firewood being stolen from the site during the year, in saying that it took the club a good two hours to pick up al the left over wood round the site and take it back to the storage area.

who did you ask for firewood?

NordieBoy
5th September 2012, 16:20
One of these things is not like the others...

Well, duh!

One isn't a mountain.

Eddieb
5th September 2012, 16:21
some of that is due to firewood being stolen from the site during the year, in saying that it took the club a good two hours to pick up al the left over wood round the site and take it back to the storage area.

who did you ask for firewood?

The guys on the quad delivering the occasional trailer load about.

Eddieb
5th September 2012, 20:46

The video is funny, especially when sliding down the hill. You can't hear it at normal volume but if you crank the sound up while Chris is sliding backwards you can hear him swearing.

.chris
5th September 2012, 20:54
The video is funny, especially when sliding down the hill. You can't hear it at normal volume but if you crank the sound up while Chris is sliding backwards you can hear him swearing.

Yeah, I was swearing because that was not much fun at all, I was trying very hard to stay upright, but no so that I ended up reversing off that bank at the bottom, dropped her at the bottom to be safe.

Box'a'bits
5th September 2012, 21:28
I actually thought you were going to do it a second time, because usually getting up there requires some momentum. I heard the dialogue too, & chuckled a little. :laugh:

Beem02
5th September 2012, 23:06
It took me about 1hr40mins.

Thanks Chris - might give it a go then. Cheers, Bruce

Cheshire Cat
7th September 2012, 13:40
Carver and I cleaned up the competitions :sunny: :banana:

jellywrestler
7th September 2012, 21:01
Carver and I cleaned up the competitions :sunny: :banana:

what all of them?

Coldrider
8th September 2012, 13:25
just need to put some arches on that bridge.

Cheshire Cat
11th September 2012, 21:05
what all of them?

Not all of them. but we kicked arse in the ones we did enter :bleh:
I wouldv entered more but I was a tad sick after the helmet dash haha so Karlos filled in for me.....he injured his knee and has 2 weeks off work now and might need surgery.woops:baby:

Horney1
11th September 2012, 22:55
Not all of them. but we kicked arse in the ones we did enter :bleh:
I wouldv entered more but I was a tad sick after the helmet dash haha so Karlos filled in for me..........

Saw you headin for the "tad sick" when I was returning from the ride up the mountain. Hahaha, here's me thinkin you had a hangover from hell! I didn't know you'd just done the run. :rofl:

As you missed it Rosie here's one of Cheshire Cats burnouts: http://youtu.be/YYGswB3hhLQ (don't know if it'll post as a link or if you'll have to copy/ paste into explorer??)

Great Pics .Chris !

Rosie
24th September 2012, 11:51
Silly boy, I was planning on trailering it to the sea :yes:

Still don't have the gearbox apart. Pattersons are being good sports at lending us several flywheel pullers, they just haven't managed to lend us the size I asked for.

Update: The WR is a runner :clap: I took it for a quick spin on the gravel to Okere Falls Store on Saturday, and all is good. So I won't have to push it into the sea after all.

Clint has details and photos here (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19662122#post19662122), but this is the condensed version:

Countershaft bearing had pitting/corrosion on the bottom of the outer race. This resulted in the cage and most of the balls being spat into the gearbox. The cage got munched, but didn't damage the gears in the process.

So, we only needed to replace the bearings, the countershaft seal and the various gaskets required to get that far into the engine. And I had to bake lots of bikkies to cover the labour :love:

Yamaha prices from the dealer were very similar to what I could get them for online, and almost everything was ex Oz, so took 3 days to get here.