PDA

View Full Version : who else has this problem??

ajturbo
5th August 2005, 15:01
the problem being..

that you are going for a ride, 2 up, and you get that funny feeling that something aint right?

you try really hard to work out what the problem could be..

are you running out of gas?
are the shocks finanly given up and making the bike to handle funny?
are the tyres going flat?

you know the feeling!

yep the passenger has fallen asleep...... the road is getting tighter and tighter.. the corners are sharper.. and yet they still are asleep!!!!

case in point,

last weekend i went to rotorua, 2 up. we had a feed, coffee's a walk around then home.....the weight on my shoulders was ........ well they got heavier and heavier... yep she had fallen asleep...

and yet they stay on!...

tell me how does that work?????

why don't they just slip off ?? thank god she didn't!!

but luke used to do it.. a lot!!!

am i that of an old fart at riding that i boar them to sleep .. or are they that relaxed?????

i choose the relax state of mind..:Punk:

WRT
5th August 2005, 15:07
One of my regulars reckons that she loves blasting along late at night with her head resting on my shoulder, and her eyes closed . . . says it feels great, that she's really relaxed doing that, something to do with the motion of the bike.

Dont know if it is a compliment or not, but I'm gonna take it as one! Still, its quite unnerving.

bugjuice
5th August 2005, 15:12
don't ride like a nana then!

WRT
5th August 2005, 15:14
Have had Ange doing that on the back at over two hundy . . . she's a somewhat trusting young lass . . .

erik
Take it as a compliment, she must have a lot of trust in your riding.

I'd guess they don't fall off because sideways forces are pretty minimal because when you corner, you have to lean the bike, so the majority of the force will still just be pushing you down into the seat. (if you're hanging off the bike, it might be a bit different though, but I guess you weren't ;) )

Str8 Jacket
Wow! The only bikes that ive been on the back of have been ridden like mad with the owner trying to scare me by pulling wheelies, which I loved but I doubt that i'd have felt comfortable closing my eyes!

Postie
5th August 2005, 15:16
One of my regulars reckons that she loves blasting along late at night with her head resting on my shoulder, and her eyes closed . . . says it feels great, that she's really relaxed doing that, something to do with the motion of the bike.

Dont know if it is a compliment or not, but I'm gonna take it as one! Still, its quite unnerving.

must be somthing with the Vibrations mate...... :Punk:

ManDownUnder
5th August 2005, 15:20
I'm willing to be swanman doesn't have that problem LOL...

ajturbo
5th August 2005, 15:26
don't ride like a nana then!

:motu: :motu: :motu: :rofl:

feistyredhead
5th August 2005, 15:43
must be somthing with the Vibrations mate...... :Punk:

if it was anything to do with the vibs she wiould be anything but asleep :whistle:

inlinefour
5th August 2005, 15:49
Be like me and not let a pillion on yer bike :devil2: It'll just slow ya down :yes:

SARGE
5th August 2005, 15:51
the problem being..

that you are going for a ride, 2 up, and you get that funny feeling that something aint right?

you try really hard to work out what the problem could be..

are you running out of gas?
are the shocks finanly given up and making the bike to handle funny?
are the tyres going flat?

you know the feeling!

yep the passenger has fallen asleep...... the road is getting tighter and tighter.. the corners are sharper.. and yet they still are asleep!!!!

case in point,

last weekend i went to rotorua, 2 up. we had a feed, coffee's a walk around then home.....the weight on my shoulders was ........ well they got heavier and heavier... yep she had fallen asleep...

and yet they stay on!...

why don't they just slip off ?? thank god she didn't!!

but luke used to do it.. a lot!!!

am i that of an old fart at riding that i boar them to sleep .. or are they that relaxed?????

i choose the relax state of mind..:Punk:

its pretty much the same reason you can toss and turn all night and not fall out of bed.. your body " knows" and compensates..

SARGE
5th August 2005, 15:55
if it was anything to do with the vibs she wiould be anything but asleep :whistle:

:Oi: calm down Kitten

Beemer
5th August 2005, 16:29
I often fall asleep if I am pillioning on the back of my husband's bike! I find it quite relaxing being on the back of a bike, and quite comfortable too - I've never even got close to falling off when asleep, must be because I'm all snuggled up behind him!

He isn't that impressed though, because every time we go over a bump, my helmet smashes into his back!

Big Dave
5th August 2005, 20:52
Co-pilot regularly falls asleep on the back - most long rides she'll nod off coming back on the freeway - the clunkety-clunkety-clunk of her helmet resting on mine is the giveaway.

She's been doing it for 24 years, if we come to a hard bit of road or conditions change i give her a tap on the knee, but otherwise I just look out for her, don't plant it etc.

Qkchk
5th August 2005, 20:55
When I had my RF900 I used to double the hubby (before he got the bug and got his licence) back and forth from Te Awamutu (visiting rellies) to Auckland. Low and behold a bloody dead weight behind me..... a quick dig in the ribs and he was awake again. "The motion and the sound makes me sleepy" Shit, the soft sound of music in the background will put me to Zzzz but a Micron Exhaust????? Hmmmm :weird:

There is one good reason for having a pillion - a warm back!! :cold: (If you can put up with the gripes and groans...)

Oakie
5th August 2005, 20:56
A woman I used to work with and her husband had to stop going to rallies as she always used to fall asleep on the back.

scumdog
5th August 2005, 21:00
Yeah, C.B. falls asleep on the back from time to time however she is pretty good at maintaining a fairly good equilibium, hence she never falls off - unless I do. Bit rough on the helmets though with the banging together.

We function together pretty damn good, a lot of you should be jealous. :yes:

Team spirit!! :Punk:

scumdog
5th August 2005, 21:01
A woman I used to work with and her husband had to stop going to rallies as she always used to fall asleep on the back.

The problem being??????

Sniper
5th August 2005, 21:13
Just give em an elbow, if they fall off they learn never to do it again

oldrider
5th August 2005, 22:31
Yep, missus is always going to sleep on the back. (know lots who do) I set up a 45ltr givi box with a back rest so she feels secure and I don't have to wake her for any tricky bits. Always have it on when shes with me. Another reason for it was one of our sons is IHC with epilepsy and I was always afraid of loosing him if he had a fit. I made a seat belt to hold him untill I could stop and tend to him. Odd thing is he never ever had a turn while on the bike.
On one trip (with mom on back) we canned off real good (she knows the drill) and watched that bike twisting turning, rolled about six times then end over end three or four times ending upside down in the water table. ($8000:00 damage. Honda ST 1100 and we rode it home)
The point I want to make is. Had that been him on there I hate to think about it.
We dont do that now but he sure loved to go for it. He always said I can hack it Dad.
I mistakingly thought the flimsy bracket would snap off like a carrot at the slightest knock. Don't you believe it, they are sooooo tough. We still use the same box today and it looks like brand new not a mark on it. I believe there is still plastic coming down out of the sky up in Northland and that was back in 1993. Just thought you might be interested. Cheers John :ride:

crashe
5th August 2005, 22:35
Went for a ride up to Willow tree in NSW with the Mrs on the back.
Nice day,bike running sweet,birds singing ect ect.
stop for gas an munchies.
Back on the road,bike feels odd,stop to check,nothing ?????????????????
OH SHIT,LEFT THE MRS AT THE SERVO.
Still paying for that one!! :oi-grr:

Ohhhhhhhhh you naughty lad, fancy forgetting your missus... :no:
:nono: :nono: :nono:

Kickaha
5th August 2005, 22:39
Ohhhhhhhhh you naughty lad, fancy forgetting your missus... :no:
:nono: :nono: :nono:

Should of just kept on going :yes:

Racey Rider
6th August 2005, 13:02
Great stories, thanks.

Will give me more confidence if I'm every in that situation of someone asleep on the back.

No, Not while i'm racing! :oi-grr:

Pixie
6th August 2005, 13:50

Regulars??Are you a gigolo?

myvice
6th August 2005, 20:31
Had my son asleep one day, not a good place for the weight to shift ether!
1/2 past about 4 logging trucks going a tad quickish!
me:eek5: him:sleep:

Bonez
6th August 2005, 20:43
yep she had fallen asleep...

and yet they stay on!...

why don't they just slip off ??:
Natural suction cups ya know. :devil2:

MadDuck
6th August 2005, 20:48
Simple really ... get a new missus that appreciates bikes and stays on

babyB
7th August 2005, 12:10
deffenatly a complement AJ and it is deffenatly a trust issue
tis a great feeling to be relaxed and safe with fellow rider....
with eyes closed feeling the movement of the bike with good company you can trust!!! able to fully enjoy the moment unconditionaly just premo :Punk:
but when ya tired and so relaxed ..well um ya fall sleep :whistle:

i use to sleep on the bike with my late husband never did i fall off i gess some things just happen naturaly...but there is only ever been 2 ppl i have been prepared to trust enough with my life....(lol im a fussy pillion...no trust & i wont pillion)..

just love to ride

gav
7th August 2005, 12:25
OK, so does anyone know of someone falling asleep on the back and actually falling off because of it?

sunhuntin
7th August 2005, 12:45
id love to fall asleep on the back of my old mans bike, but im to scared of missing anything :yes: also a tad worried about toppling off the side, despite the facts hes a very careful rider [shovelhead decker...doesnt go very fast]

never heard of anyone actually falling off, but my mates missus fell asleep on the back of his, no sissy bar, and started tipping backwards. he had to grab her feet and pull her back up...whether thats a true story, i wouldnt know, lol.

Big Dave
7th August 2005, 13:13
Be like me and not let a pillion on yer bike :devil2: It'll just slow ya down :yes:

Yeah - i know another bloke that can't get a girlfriend either.