PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slippage: Plates worn or something else?

The End
29th August 2012, 16:21
Bear with me here because I have no clue how to explain this in an easily understandable manner.

I've noticed that when I change up from 2nd to 3rd (using the clutch), there is a distinctive almost like clutchless shift feeling - Like when you try to change up without the clutch, but you don't time it right and the engine/gearbox protests the change. It's as if like when I change up, the clutch does no work to smooth out the change as it feels "violent". There is a definite shunt type feeling before 3rd gear is engaged.

I've also noticed that when I change down from 3rd to 2nd and rev match, it feels like the engine briefly loses drive and then instantly comes back. It is not that I am over revving for the down shift as I know what that feels like and in this case it feels different to that. How else can I put it...:facepalm: it's like when I rev match from 3rd to 2nd gear, the rev match has no effect as it does not smooth the down change at all. Similar to when changing up, the downshift feels violent when the changing between 2nd and 3rd finally occurs. It feels like the clutch grabs instantly rather than smoothly...?

What is causing this/what can I do to fix it? I don't feel it in any other gears changing up or down. I ride a 2008 Yamaha Scorpio 225 and it has done just under 8000km and has been serviced/maintained regularly. The last service at the Yamaha dealership around 2000km ago said the bike had no issues.

vifferman
29th August 2012, 17:05
If it's only when changing from second to third or vice-versa, I'd suspect something bent or worn in the gear cluster or shifter mechanism (dogs, pawls, whatever). Anything else (like clutch basket wear or whatever) would surely affect all gear changes.

ducatilover
29th August 2012, 22:50
Just desperately adjust the cable (turn it in at the lever end) and ignore it 'till something explodes?

The End
30th August 2012, 19:50
I've tried playing around with the clutch cable but it hasn't helped in reducing the aforementioned issues.

:facepalm: 8000km and already facing potentially 'serious' issues...

actungbaby
30th August 2012, 20:08
Bear with me here because I have no clue how to explain this in an easily understandable manner.

What is causing this/what can I do to fix it? I don't feel it in any other gears changing up or down. I ride a 2008 Yamaha Scorpio 225 and it has done just under 8000km and has been serviced/maintained regularly. The last service at the Yamaha dealership around 2000km ago said the bike had no issues.

Does the clutch feel like normaly does cable not sticking u chould try some sewing machine oil work it through.

Whould not think clutch should be sliping or worn witht that low kms , what kind oil do you have in the engine . i know castrol gtx

is more for cars and can cause some clutch slipage as some oils not designed for bikes

It maybe nothing to worry about i assume they changed the oil at a serivce and used corect type it maybe be gear slectors have slight bend

best take to the shop get them to test ride it if you worried

actungbaby
30th August 2012, 20:13
I've tried playing around with the clutch cable but it hasn't helped in reducing the aforementioned issues.

:facepalm: 8000km and already facing potentially 'serious' issues...

Done panic mr mannering best not to think worst , everthing can be fixed go talk to bike shop your find it be okay